• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's FY2013 Sales Plans for Major Package Titles

Tagg9

MH4 and RE seem reasonable, but Lost Planet will have a difficult time breaking the 1m barrier.

Their expectations, at least the ones you posted, don't seem overinflated. Although given their marketing for LP3 that may be a bit unrealistic. A lot of people forget that it even exists.

I don't think reducing development to launch cycles of series is what Capcom needs to do...(or maybe they just need to slow down on fighting games)

Big0Bear

Renforcing their Dlc structure? Man because of their Dlc practices I have passed on games or purposely bought them used since they don't want to make bundles or gold editions (ー ー;)

For MH4, keep in mind that even Nintendo only has one 3DS game that has broken 2.8 million in Japan, Animal Crossing.

The 3DS is going to explode this year in Japan once Pokemon hits. With the holidays it will probably do 3 million before the year's end and then continue to sell. 2.8 million is a very conservative figure. Nintendo hasn't released anything that I really expected to hit 2.8 million at this point. NSMB2 will hit that by the end of its life. Pokemon will hit it this year. Friend Collection is very iffy. Without the touch collection blowing up even Nintendo won't have that many titles to do those kind of numbers.

AHA-Lambda

Spending all that marketing dough on LP3 for 1.2m? At least they know its chances, even if it'll never get even that.

Into

RE will hit that number, there are still many fans out there who did not buy a 3DS just to play it.

Seems realistic overall

Glass Rebel

MH4 and RER seem to be too low. The former will sell throughout the year and as for the latter even Operation Raccoon City sold over 2m with abysmal reviews.

LP3 is closer to Carzy Capcpom Predicitons™

Jonnyram

For MH4, keep in mind that even Nintendo only has one 3DS game that has broken 2.8 million in Japan, Animal Crossing.
How many did the PSP have before Monster Hunter came out? Oh.
Anyway, I think 2.8 million is a pretty realistic estimate. I said a similar thing myself a few weeks ago. They under-estimated MH3G's success, but I think these estimates are based on that experience.

metalslimer said:
The 3DS is going to explode this year in Japan once Pokemon hits.
I think Pokemon will have a negative impact on MH4's sales. I'm guessing both MH4 and Pokemon X/Y will be released in September, and that could be bad news for Capcom.

Anyway, I think 2.8 million is a pretty realistic estimate. I said a similar thing myself a few weeks ago. They under-estimated MH3G's success, but I think these estimates are based on that experience.

I think Pokemon will have a negative impact on MH4's sales. I'm guessing both MH4 and Pokemon X/Y will be released in September, and that could be bad news for Capcom.

Before MHP3rd when did a MH sell 2.8 million that quickly...

THey announced Pokemon's date as October over 4 months ago. Both games will be the big holiday games for 3DS and be what sells with the 3DS during the holiday as Zelda is 2014 for Japan and the only other thing is Mario Party.

Hasn't MH4 been confirmed for August? I know Pokemon is in October. I think Nintendo is intentionally not trying to have MH4 and Pokemon hit at the same time.

Videoneon

I'd say RE looks too high, haha

I think so too, actually. They're covering a lot of platforms, but a re-release with some cosmetics and additions breaking one million, while the 3DS is (I assume, correct me if wrong) not that huge a deviation from the updated experience? I realize Revelations was released in the 3DS' dry spell, but I'm skeptical of how many "hold-outs" there were.

The Lost Planet 3 number is more reasonable than I expected from Capcom, because they had said they were putting a lot of stock into this for this fiscal year. Still, I would be surprised if it broke one million also. It's Remember Me level right now, possibly even lower (besides the strength of being an already existing franchise.)

I would not be surprised if Monther Hunter 4 hit three million.

Mario007

I think so too, actually. They're covering a lot of platforms, but a re-release with some cosmetics and additions breaking one million, while the 3DS is (I assume, correct me if wrong) not that huge a deviation from the updated experience? I realize Revelations was released in the 3DS' dry spell, but I'm skeptical of how many "hold-outs" there were.

The Lost Planet 3 number is more reasonable than I expected from Capcom, because they had said they were putting a lot of stock into this for this fiscal year. Still, I would be surprised if it broke one million also. It's Remember Me level right now, possibly even lower (besides the strength of being an already existing franchise.)

I would not be surprised if Monther Hunter 4 hit three million.
Well RE:R bombed, for the most part, on the 3DS so it's not like a lot of people had a chance to play it yet. Also if Operation Racoon City could do around 2 million on RE name alone, then I image RE:R can do 1.2 too. It has a better chance now, anyway, that it is coming to consoles where games like these actually sell (PS3, Xbox 360)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'd like to remember that, in the end, Capcom called (surprisingly IMHO XD) Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS a "moderate success". They said they were satisfied enough with its sales.

Glass Rebel

One thing that could be detrimental to RER sales is the lack of story co-op. Capcom better have everything in Raid Mode unlocked from the start.

Well RE:R bombed, for the most part, on the 3DS so it's not like a lot of people had a chance to play it yet. Also if Operation Racoon City could do around 2 million on RE name alone, then I image RE:R can do 1.2 too. It has a better chance now, anyway, that it is coming to consoles where games like these actually sell (PS3, Xbox 360)

The game didn't bomb. The fact that ORC sold well doesn't mean anything, it was also a TPS, while Revelations is a traditional survival horror. And it's a one year old porting.

Mario007

I'd like to remember that, in the end, Capcom called (surprisingly IMHO XD) Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS a "moderate success". They said they were satisfied enough with its sales.
Well if they knew they were going to port it eventually then I guess they might have been like 'oh, ok those ain't too bad, sure we'll get our sales on consoles anyway'.

The game didn't bomb. The fact that ORC sold well doesn't mean anything, it was also a TPS, while Revelations is a traditional survival horror. And it's a one year old porting.

It didn't bomb completely, it did bomb, for the most part, which is exactly what I have written.

Mario007

Do we know sales expectations for the game? Otherwise it'd be difficult to know whether it bombed or not.
So, say, PSABR didn't bomb because we don't know the expectations and Sony once said they were 'happy' with the sales?

Or would you then counter-argue that it must have bombed since Superbot were let go? Because then the argument for RE:R is that Capcom is porting it to pretty much every platform under the sun.

Glass Rebel

So, say, PSABR didn't bomb because we don't know the expectations and Sony once said they were 'happy' with the sales?

Or would you then counter-argue that it must have bombed since Superbot were let go? Because then the argument for RE:R is that Capcom is porting it to pretty much every platform under the sun.

On one hand, we have a company stating that while a bit disappointing, sales were good overall; on the other hand, we have a company that was put together to make a game, and it was disbanded soon after, with a game that barely sold 200k units worldwide.

Capcom makes often porting.

How could you say RE:R bombed when it did on 1 pleteforme more than half what Capcom is forecasting for the title on 4 plateforms ?

Mario007

Thus my 'it bombed for the most part comment'.

On one hand, we have a company stating that while a bit disappointing, sales were good overall; on the other hand, we have a company that was put together to make a game, and it was disbanded soon after, with a game that barely sold 200k units worldwide.

Capcom makes often porting.
Once again you left out that Sony also stated they were happy with the sales.

Also Superbot didn't disband but their partnership with Sony was cut.

Going by the 3DS market at the time we released the game, it was definitely a success and we're certainly hoping we can repeat that success with the home console version.

Yeah, definitely bombed. And they want to do the same on home consoles.

Hellraider

As previously stated MH4 and Revelations' expectations sound realistic.LP3's is a joke, though.Lost Planet will probably be Onimusha'd and never hear anything from it apart from gree games.

Top Bottom