• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

See ya Inkzooka, see ya Kraken, see ya Bubbler, see ya free-ass Bomb Rush. I'll miss Inkstrike and Echolocator though. Especially Echolocator. I like the concept of a supportive special, and being able to see the enemy team's location is just so good. I hope there's some kind of successor to it in Splatoon 2. :s

Regiruler

You can still do that with stingray.
I'll miss the Spongebob memes, even if it wore out its welcome by excessive use lol. Hopefully there's a form of replacement, even if it's Splatoon exclusive.

tumblr_npatm9BAJR1sfeemxo1_1280.jpg

Azure J

Best special. Got so many team wipes with that thing. Once you get a hang of how the shot arcs even players trying to take cover were no longer safe. Zooka will be missed. :'(

Zooka squad forever. Gotta wait and see if Squids 2 has something similar, but I'm guessing Inkjet's launcher will be it.

See ya Inkzooka, see ya Kraken, see ya Bubbler, see ya free-ass Bomb Rush. I'll miss Inkstrike and Echolocator though. Especially Echolocator. I like the concept of a supportive special, and being able to see the enemy team's location is just so good. I hope there's some kind of successor to it in Splatoon 2. :s

Wait the Kraken's leaving ;_; ?

At least Ink Wall is still safe

Zooka is fun if you're on the giving end :3

In general though, fast long range instant kill shots are pretty bullshit. For mostly everything else there's usually some amount of counter-play one can do (imo). But dying, then coming out of base and dying to a random ass zooka shot is the epitome of dumb and down time, especially when it's the same damn tentatek.

Robotguy

Yeah, that fact that you can be instantly killed by a zooka from the other side of the map by someone you can't even see is pretty bs.

If they literally ported Splatoon to switch, that would be enough for me to buy it. But seeing the the additions and even some of the map design, plus the sweet prospect of lotion on the go has me amped. One of Nintendo's best franchises.

Dystify

I posted this on Twitter earlier, but it might also be of interest here. A comparison between Splatoon for Wii U and Switch. Splatoon 2 seems to have better textures, better lighting and shadow effects. (Look at the tree for example.) Some people argued that the game doesn't look better on Switch, which this should disprove. I personally don't care either way, even on Wii U it looked great.

C2nlqM6WgAAVTVx.jpg

RedFyn

I'm not confident that all old specials are gone. We haven't seen enough of them to account for the same number...I think they just wanted to highlight the new stuff.

I want my shield.
We have actually. Splatoon only has 7 specials. So far we've seen six of Splatoon 2s.

I posted this on Twitter earlier, but it might also be of interest here. A comparison between Splatoon for Wii U and Switch. Splatoon 2 seems to have better textures, better lighting and shadow effects. (Look at the tree for example.) Some people argued that the game doesn't look better on Switch, which this should disprove. I personally don't care either way, even on Wii U it looked great.

C2nlqM6WgAAVTVx.jpg
People that played Splatoon saw that it's different. People that didn't never cared.

C2nlqM6WgAAVTVx.jpg

I kinda noticed this. Splatoon 1 is a game that heavily benefits from its art style, but if you ever tried to take screenshots of it (like I did to show off Miiverse posts or outfits) using the Wii U's browser screenshot tool, you'd quickly see how in-game it looks very jaggy, with low res textures and not a lot of geometry, even on the Inkling models, and flatly lit levels. Nintendo themselves even tried to hide it a bit; the screenshots they used for the Twitter and Tumblr pages were always clearly downsampled with lots of AA and possible other IQ enhancing features that aren't in the actual game which make it look much smoother.

RedFyn

I played Splatoon for hundreds of hours and think Splatoon 2 looks like shit. The aliasing is awful.
Uhh you can think it looks bad all you want. But I can't believe that you played for hundreds of hours and didn't see the difference when watching the trailer.

giphy.gif

Doorman

If they literally ported Splatoon to switch, that would be enough for me to buy it. But seeing the the additions and even some of the map design, plus the sweet prospect of lotion on the go has me amped. One of Nintendo's best franchises.

....Uhhh....???

Anyway...I for one will be glad to see inkzooka go. Its speed for being an instant-kill and its pathing combined with some of Splatoon's fun latency issues makes for a really frustrating experience to deal with. Getting insta-killed while around a corner because someone shot a zooka where you were literally a second and a half ago does not make for a fun experience. The grenadier you get while using the inkjet is still powerful but feels much more fair to use properly, since you need to actually hit a target in order to one-shot them, not just happen to fire along the correct entire line[/] of ground. And it also makes it tougher to sneak around while still firing off those super-powered shots.

Aldric

Uhh you can think it looks bad all you want. But I can't believe that you played for hundreds of hours and didn't see the difference when watching the trailer.

lt might not look exactly the same (the lighting is indeed the most obvious improvement) but l honestly don't know how anyone could blame people for thinking the two games are graphically similar. The geometry is still super simple. There's jaggies everywhere. l must have missed these high res textures because the pic posted earlier looks like the grass texture from Mario 3D World's savanna level. l'm sure it'll be a great game as the strength of the franchise lies in its gameplay but Splatoon looked obsolete two years ago and this does too.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I posted this on Twitter earlier, but it might also be of interest here. A comparison between Splatoon for Wii U and Switch. Splatoon 2 seems to have better textures, (Look at the tree for example.) Some people argued that the game doesn't look better on Switch, which this should disprove. I personally don't care either way, even on Wii U it looked great.

About that tree, it looks like it's just a different, more complex design which ends up looking more blocky. Nothing more.

The game looks awfully similar to Splatoon 1, a significant improvement to lightning and small improvements elsewhere aside. I wonder if it will be possible for it to render above 720p (which it renders at the moment with no AA) in the final version.

Doorman

About that tree, it looks like it's just a different, more complex design which ends up looking more blocky. Nothing more.

The game looks awfully similar to Splatoon 1, a significant improvement to lightning and small improvements elsewhere aside. I wonder if it will be possible for it to render above 720p (which it renders at the moment with no AA) in the final version.

There's probably still at least a good six months before this launches, and Nintendo's going to be positioning it as a big release. I feel pretty good about the odds that the wizards they keep stored in the basement will find ways to further improve the look of the game between now and then. 1080p60 isn't out of the question.

D.Lo

l'm sure it'll be a great game as the strength of the franchise lies in its gameplay but Splatoon looked obsolete two years ago and this does too.
Apart from possibly resolution I always thought Splatoon looked nearly perfect. Especially the way the ink interacts with the environments.

The reason the new one looks similar is the art style has already been nailed. It's like how Mario Galaxy looks amazing in Dolphin, it's already basically perfect looking and all it needs is a resolution bump.

RedFyn

lt might not look exactly the same (the lighting is indeed the most obvious improvement) but l honestly don't know how anyone could blame people for thinking the two games are graphically similar. The geometry is still super simple. There's jaggies everywhere. l must have missed these high res textures because the pic posted earlier looks like the grass texture from Mario 3D World's savanna level. l'm sure it'll be a great game as the strength of the franchise lies in its gameplay but Splatoon looked obsolete two years ago and this does too.
The two games ARE graphically similar. Thats generally the point of a sequel. Splatoon 2 has the same art style and gameplay with improved visuals and design. I don't know what you mean by "looks obsolete". The art style looks unique (although less so now than when Splatoon was revealed) and fresh. The opposite of obsolete.

And I don't blame people that haven't played Splatoon (or very little of it) and thought the trailer looked like a port. But that could be said for a lot of games and I don't think I've seen another game that has gotten this much skepticism. Its not hard to look at comparison pics and see the differences. At this point people saying it looks like a port are either trolling or have missed any of the comparisons and that just tells me they don't care enough about the game to want to.

Aldric

The two games ARE graphically similar. Thats generally the point of a sequel.

That's a weird thing to say. There's quite a lot of sequels that are more immediately distinct than Splatoon and Splatoon 2. Especially when they're on different generations of hardware.

Splatoon 2 has the same art style and gameplay with improved visuals and design. I don't know what you mean by "looks obsolete". The art style looks unique (although less so now than when Splatoon was revealed) and fresh. The opposite of obsolete.

l thought the rest of my post made the context clear. lt looked technically obsolete. Basic geometry and textures, no AA, 720p. All things you find in Splatoon 2 except it's on new hardware released four years after the Wii U.

And I don't blame people that haven't played Splatoon (or very little of it) and thought the trailer looked like a port. But that could be said for a lot of games and I don't think I've seen another game that has gotten this much skepticism. Its not hard to look at comparison pics and see the differences. At this point people saying it looks like a port are either trolling or have missed any of the comparisons and that just tells me they don't care enough about the game to want to.

Or maybe people just think Switch games look like Wii U+ games, which they do. l also think Nintendo has done a pretty poor job highlighting the new gameplay elements outside of things only dedicated Splatoon fans would care about. l don't blame them though as l'm sure they'll go in depth in a Direct later this year.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A lot of the specials seem rather nerfed compared to the original, I hope that's not the case.

I think they are aiming for the game to be just a tad more skill based and less steam roller moments. That raincloud looks a bit too much though.

Maxinas

l thought the rest of my post made the context clear. lt looked technically obsolete. Basic geometry and textures, no AA, 720p. All things you find in Splatoon 2 except it's on new hardware released four years after the Wii U.

Well yeah, the game won't be out till sometime in June-August, so there's still plenty of time to refine things, particularity the AA.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I think they are aiming for the game to be just a tad more skill based and less steam roller moments. That raincloud looks a bit too much though.

Oh please, the original game was already quite skill based.

Without powerful specials, there is no way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, and that's just boring.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Without powerful specials, there is no way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, and that's just boring.

Spoken like someone bad at competitive games :D

Teamwork is what snatches victory, the new specials look less of a one man army affair for the most part

Aldric

They're giving main weapons new tools and honestly we've barely seen anything of the new specials, plus no one knew what they were doing with them either. Let's wait a bit before worrying about changes in the meta. lt's not like they can't patch the specials if they're indeed too weak anyway.

Doorman

To this point, I'm less sure about that. The raincloud looks to cover a pretty wide area and moves, but from the tiny bit of it that we saw, the rate of raindrop fall isn't actually all that fast and it doesn't look like the rain itself does any sort of considerable damage, it's just meant to help ink an area and flush out potential hiding enemies. I'm actually kind of happy something like that exists, mainly for the sake of forcing an enemy reaction when incurring rather than trying to single-handedly decimate the other team.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To this point, I'm less sure about that. The raincloud looks to cover a pretty wide area and moves, but from the tiny bit of it that we saw, the rate of raindrop fall isn't actually all that fast and it doesn't look like the rain itself does any sort of considerable damage, it's just meant to help ink an area and flush out potential hiding enemies. I'm actually kind of happy something like that exists, mainly for the sake of forcing an enemy reaction when incurring rather than trying to single-handedly decimate the other team.

Ah if it's something that does pretty much no damage then it will be great for forcing fights and it's fine as is :p

ryechu

The original was quite skill based, but none of that came from the special weapon mechanics. In fact, the game revolving around specials is what started holding the game back.

Top Bottom