• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIV Yoshida interview with Kotaku: wants 2+ more expansions, crossplay, more

Eolz

Great interview from Jason Schreier here.
fj0yozedatqiqweukglw.jpg

Selected quotes there:
When I asked what else Yoshida had left to accomplish, he pointed to the story, a highlight of Final Fantasy XIV. The intricate, ongoing plot is the main reason the fourteenth Final Fantasy is so appealing to those of us who don’t love MMOs, and it’s one thing that Yoshida wants to complete before he ever thinks about retiring. “There’s this overarching story, and I’ve actually set a goal or endpoint for that arc,” said Yoshida. “That’s one of the things I want to accomplish is to be able to finish that narrative.”

“How long will that be?” I asked.

“I think we’d need at least another two more expansions,” Yoshida said.

On what they can do now that they’ve ditched the PlayStation 3 version of Final Fantasy XIV:

Yoshida: One of the biggest challenges we had was the hardware trying to access files—the IO, or in and out... The speed at which some of the files are being read on the [PS3] hardware and then transferred into memory was slower compared to some of the other platforms. This is a 10-year-old-plus piece of equipment.
(...)
Because the speed at which the files were being read was slow, you did see a difference in the way it’s being displayed on screen. So there always had to be a cap so we could accommodate for that hardware capabilities.

On bringing Final Fantasy XIV to Xbox and Switch:

Yoshida: I’ve said this on several occasions, but it hasn’t changed. We would love for as many players to be on FFXIV as possible.

Conversations have been had with Mr. Phil Spencer of Microsoft, and the upper management teams of Nintendo. But I have proposed a condition every time I speak with any platform manufacturers. It’s that the game has to have the capability of cross-platform play.

Of course with an MMORPG, once it launches and starts going into live services and operations, there will be a community. No matter how small it dwindles down to, we have to be responsible for taking care of those communities. It would become an obstacle if the first-party or manufacturer changed how patches are being implemented or online regulations. Some of our external parties’ regulations don’t have MMORPGs in mind in terms of how they’re regulating their online activities. Those can become a hurdle when we consider operating FFXIV for an extended period of time, and so when I talk to those first-party companies, I ask them, ‘Do you have the capability to prepare for that, do you have the resolve that you’re going to make sure to take responsibility and take care of those, do you have that willingness?’

If we are able to come to some sort of agreement, a handshake so to speak, or if it does end up being that unfortunately we can’t do a handshake with Final Fantasy XIV, either way we’ll make sure to communicate with our players. But we have been tenacious—we’ve been trying to keep at it and be persistent about our conversations.

More at the link as usual.

DDOS me if old.

Give me 5 more expansions, i take them all. I don't want to stop playing this MMO anytime soon, I don't want it to end.

Only thing in the interview that excited me.

On the inevitable Final Fantasy XV crossover:

Yoshida: Plans for these are moving forward. The Final Fantasy XV team has settled down on their end. We feel that it’s going to be rather hefty in volume in terms of this crossover. Once we are able to get some visual references, some graphics available, and when we decide on timing, we’ll make sure to make an official announcement.

Nephtes

So he's talked with Phil Spencer of Microsoft...
And his condition is that it must allow Cross Platform Play...
Microsoft is now committed to Cross Platform Play...

So... Where is the problem exactly?
When will they announce this for XOne?
Or is he saying another party is holding this up?
Sony?

1. Does he mean retire retire? Or move on from 14? Because if its the former I will be very upset. He is the only guy I trust to make a fully competent FF16 with real results and no bullshit.

2. Its clear at this point Nintendo and Microsoft aren't the problem. FUCK Sony.

DrkSage

PS4 already has cross-play with PC (because it's am MMO with the same servers). He definitely wants to bring it to Xbox.

But the ball!? Where the fuck is it!

Also, I'm going to have to buy this game, expansions separately, every time there's a damn sale or I want to buy the deluxe edition or whatever it won't let me because "I already own it" when I clearly don't. Never bought the game, only played the beta.

Aeana

So given the current situation, could Sony actually be the ones stopping it coming to other problems or do they not have a say here?

They could be if they require something that MS feels would be a bad idea to agree to.
The way the new PS4 version of DQ10 works is actually really stupid and results in a higher fee only for PS4 players, and that account can't be used directly with the other versions (even if they still all connect to the same servers), which makes it seem like Sony has some weird stipulations behind the scenes that nobody else has.

True Fire

So, do we think the XIV team is currently making XVI?

They're really the only team who could be working on it. The XV team is too busy making fishing mini games, and VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts III are taking up Nomura's next two decades.

Aeana

They're really the only team who could be working on it. The XV team is too busy making fishing mini games, and VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts III are taking up Nomura's next two decades.

No, the 14 team is making 14. It's an ongoing process.

Now, several key staff members have left the 14 team, or been changed to less intensive roles, which could mean that these staff members are on new projects, but the core FF14 team remains working on FF14.

kromeo

Ito's working on it in his cupboard as we speak

No, but I hope Yoshi can move on to a single player FF, he is honestly the best man for the job. Numora and Tabata cannot make FF16.

Ashodin

Give me blue mage and I will subscribe until they shut down the servers

Imagine going through the game's content and collecting monster abilities, Pokémon style. You have to stand in the attack ranges to get the trigger. hnnnnnnnngh

Also Magic Knight would be dope af.

Microsoft should totally call Sonys bluff and give the OK to FF14 cross play now and see what happens.

Right now its a bit weird MS hasnt given the OK to be honest. Cant imagine what the hang up is.

Microsoft should totally call Sonys bluff and give the OK to FF14 cross play now and see what happens.

Right now its a bit weird MS hasnt given the OK to be honest. Cant imagine what the hang up is.

If things haven't changed since last time, the issue was that MS requires XBLG even for MMOs.

Capella

It would become an obstacle if the first-party or manufacturer changed how patches are being implemented or online regulations.
It still seems like there is an issue were MS still has a policy requiring Xbox users to be able to opt out of cross play. I guess there is also an issue with the way FFXIV does patches?

Zen Mu

So he's talked with Phil Spencer of Microsoft...
And his condition is that it must allow Cross Platform Play...
Microsoft is now committed to Cross Platform Play...

So... Where is the problem exactly?
When will they announce this for XOne?
Or is he saying another party is holding this up?
Sony?

He's already answered this multiple times before. Cross play on Xbox (as of now) requires the games to have the option for Xbox gamers to turn it off essentially and play only with other Xbox players (basically Xbox only servers). This has been the hold up for 2 years now. They tried to get the game on XB1 immediately after the PS4 version was released, but they are not willing to do Xbox only servers in addition to the regular ones (and it makes zero sense for an MMO).

Can't blame it on Sony every time.

gtj1092

So now no cross play on FF14 is Sony's fault when we have had direct quotes stating the issue has been on MS side?

Shock32

Microsoft should really change their stance on crossplay for FF14. The Xbox server's only is BS on an MMO like this.

He's already answered this multiple times before. Cross play on Xbox (as of now) requires the games to have the option for Xbox gamers to turn it off essentially and play only with other Xbox players (basically Xbox only servers). This has been the hold up for 2 years now. They tried to get the game on XB1 immediately after the PS4 version was released, but they are not willing to do Xbox only servers in addition to the regular ones (and it makes zero sense for an MMO).

Can't blame it on Sony every time.

When did they say that?

Kayant

So now no cross play on FF14 is Sony's fault when we have had direct quotes stating the issue has been on MS side?
People seem to forget Sony console crossplay issue is separate from an MS policy issue.

This is something that will happen time to time as said in the OP each manufacturer has policies/requirements for crossplay to be enabled.

Eolz

People seem to forget Sony console crossplay issue is separate from an MS policy issue.

This is something that will happen time to time as said in the OP each manufacturer has policies/requirements for crossplay to be enabled.

For MS, it seems to be that Xbox players choice policy causing the issue (at least it was in the past apparently).
For Nintendo, I doubt it's more than their online service not being ready yet, and a patch issue probably. Because their official statement is:
GamesBeat: Even Minecraft, though. Microsoft comes to you guys and says it can do crossplatform multiplayer, and Nintendo agrees immediately?

Charlie Scibetta: If it's right for gamers, we're going to entertain it. If we can make it work, we're going to do it.

Zen Mu

When did they say that?

He mentioned the server thing last year, was either a live letter or interview.

Here's a quote from a Polygon article that popped up when I tried to google and find it. This was from June of last year right after MS started talking about cross play.

"Microsoft actually approached the Final Fantasy 14 team about the cross-platform opportunity," Yoshida told Polygon. "When our team reviewed the regulations that are associated with that, we realized that Microsoft may not have the experience or understanding of running an MMORPG as an online game genre just yet. The Final Fantasy 14 team has fed back to Microsoft that there are certain elements of its regulations that we would have to consider waived. We're waiting on Microsoft's response for that, but we are having discussions."

Artcle link

Guess Who

Banned
have you folks considered that not every fucking thing has to be a console war argument and that both sony and microsoft are, in different ways and for different games, each responsible in part for not allowing completely interoperable crossplay between their platforms

Top Bottom