• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GafStarter: interesting game projects on Kickstarter & co.

lefantome

As you know the kickstarter campaign of double fine was a huge success in only one day, but kickstarter (and other similar websites) sometimes hosts other interesting projects, so let's post the projects you think they deserve our money.

Four Double Fine was easy, they already have an huge amount of fan, but for an unknown indie developers I think it's hard sometimes.

My pick of the week:

UPDATE:
$8,374 PLEDGED OF $10,000 GOAL

33 HOURS TO GO

charactersm.png

UFHO2 a turn-based Strategy Game

I tried the pre-alpha available here and I think it has some potential.
It's a strategy game between , but could also be a table game, I'd like to play it on a ipad.

http://youtu.be/8SNff_GXP5E
I like the art style and the xbox 360 controller reward is awesome.

Only 52 hours left and 2500$ needed

This game has also some famous indie characters in it like: gish, goo balls, commander video & more
Gish.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I really suck at Hexic and other rotational puzzlers so I don't think I'd play UFHO2, but it does visually look cool and that Xbox 360 controller skin is really nice looking. Great job, team who is working on it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm still sad that my game of show at Eurogamer Expo 2011, Molecat Twist, never got anywhere near the funding it needed. Even after being advertised on Kotaku:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/molecats/molecat-twist-indirect-puzzle-game?ref=category

mt_screens09_460.jpg

these guys are russians it seems? do you represent them on Kickstarter? if so have they contacted Sergey Klimov (former Snowball, 1C)? He's at Larian now and he's pretty open-minded about funding interesting projects.

CiroContinisio

Neo Member
I'm still sad that my game of show at Eurogamer Expo 2011, Molecat Twist, never got anywhere near the funding it needed. Even after being advertised on Kotaku:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/molecats/molecat-twist-indirect-puzzle-game?ref=category

... ... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Your game looks awesome, it has an interesting concept, lovely graphics, cute characters, it's perfect for tablets...
And you had a good video, a good page, loads of rewards... what went wrong? Were you ignored by the media, maybe?

What about retrying? I guess if the word goes around, you'll make it. Mmmm... I would give at least 50$ to it, had I known about it.

Correct! And thanks to lefantome for the mention!

Thanks guys, any support is appreciated: we're almost there... 33 hours to go!

I will gladly back GAF member projects. Donationg made.

I hope an ipad version gets made! :D

Also, I would really like to see some of the people who have already donated to the Double Fine project divert some of that attention and/or money to smaller projects like this. DF clearly has more than enough money for the project now...

Trevelyan

Banned
Why are they using Kickstarter? I've been using wepay.com for my little donation campaign I have going on, and the fees are a hell of a lot less harsh than kickstarter.

Anyway, I fully support stuff like this. It's truly awesome

Why are they using Kickstarter? I've been using wepay.com for my little donation campaign I have going on, and the fees are a hell of a lot less harsh than kickstarter.

Anyway, I fully support stuff like this. It's truly awesome
Visibility, I'd think. Go to Kickstarter and you can browse games (or whatever) and see what's worth money. Go to WePay and just see information on how to receive payments. Go to 8-Bit Funding and see a more Kickstarter-like setup but with almost no exposure.

Visibility, I'd think. Go to Kickstarter and you can browse games (or whatever) and see what's worth money. Go to WePay and just see information on how to receive payments. Go to 8-Bit Funding and see a more Kickstarter-like setup but with almost no exposure.

kickstarter is easy to browse and has a great community aspect building up around it.

CiroContinisio

Neo Member

Exactly. That's why we went with Kickstarter in the first place, we got quite a lot of pledges from the IGDA Kickstarter page, from the "Staff Picks", the "Popular this week" section, the "Ending soon" (in these hours). And people are more attracted by the name when they see it in Twitter or on websites.

On a side note, this morning we got featured by IndieGames.com! But the chain of RTs and mentions on Twitter and FB have pushed the project for the past couple of days, so we got 3,000$ and now we're at 9,890$! I know there are some GAFfers among them too! Thanks all!

Metallix87

Here's one I found that seems like it has great potential to be quite awesome:

Pixel Sand

"Pixel Sand is both a game and a fantasy-physics simulation where you can take tons of different elements and mix them together to make your own ridiculous concoctions. More importantly, Pixel Sand will be shipped with an entire epic single-player and multi-player campaign!"

The game is in the works for Xbox 360, PC, and Windows Phone 7.

ArjanN

Congrats to the UFHO2 guys.

Here's one I found that seems like it has great potential to be quite awesome:

Pixel Sand

"Pixel Sand is both a game and a fantasy-physics simulation where you can take tons of different elements and mix them together to make your own ridiculous concoctions. More importantly, Pixel Sand will be shipped with an entire epic single-player and multi-player campaign!"

The game is in the works for Xbox 360, PC, and Windows Phone 7.

That looks like it could be pretty neat.

Raide

I need to get working on something to get funded first. :D

I do love the Kickstarter idea but I wonder who will be the first major publisher or developer to utterly abuse it i.e. Kickstarter for more DLC.

Metallix87

Yeah. I never really liked Falling Sand but dude seems to have some cool ideas, so I pitched in my $3. I don't think he'll make his funding target though. :/

I chipped in $20. Hopefully he ends up meeting his target. 8 days is an eternity, and most of his support came recently, likely due to Double Fine.

As you know the kickstarter campaign of double fine was a huge success in only one day, but kickstarter (and other similar websites) sometimes hosts other interesting projects, so let's post the projects you think they deserve our money.

Four Double Fine was easy, they already have an huge amount of fan, but for an unknown indie developers I think it's hard sometimes.

My pick of the week:

UPDATE:
$8,374 PLEDGED OF $10,000 GOAL

33 HOURS TO GO

charactersm.png

UFHO2 a turn-based Strategy Game

I tried the pre-alpha available here and I think it has some potential.
It's a strategy game between , but could also be a table game, I'd like to play it on a ipad.

http://youtu.be/8SNff_GXP5E
I like the art style and the xbox 360 controller reward is awesome.

Only 52 hours left and 2500$ needed

This game has also some famous indie characters in it like: gish, goo balls, commander video & more
Gish.jpg

I would have contributed the $500 but I'm going to be in America! I dropped $10 in the bucket but I'll probably up it to $80 when I get the money.

dock

The majority of games I've seen that were funded on Kickstarter have amounted to nothing, despite receiving the money.

The only exceptions are when the game is 90% done, and the funding is often used as a pre-order routine.

I really hope some developers can buck this trend, but too often people promise too much too early.

The majority of games I've seen that were funded on Kickstarter have amounted to nothing, despite receiving the money.

The only exceptions are when the game is 90% done, and the funding is often used as a pre-order routine.

I really hope some developers can buck this trend, but too often people promise too much too early.
Don't you get the money back at kickstarter if the project couldn't be realized?

So can you start a kickstart project and then use the money to hire people to help you with the game?

How does it work exactly?

I mean if somebody had a great idea but needed help with it, could the funds go towards hiring a small team?

dock

Don't you get the money back at kickstarter if the project couldn't be realized?

I think you get the money back if the project doesn't reach its goal. If the project reaches its goal then the project receives the total sum.

Double Fine aren't contractually obliged to do anything. They could take the money and run, but they won't.

I found a very interesting project: Code Hero, a game that teaches you to code games!

It's an FPS where you shoot code (I think it tries to teach Javascript and Unity) in order to change the world. For example, in this picture:

You'd have to write "hitObject.transform.position.y-=2;" so the platform goes down and you can cross to the other side.

Everyone who pledges (minimum 1$) gets access to the beta, which you can access right now. Looks very promising, and I've always wanted to do something like this myself. Currently people have pledged 7.5k $, but they need 100k $ and only have 12 days to go.

CiroContinisio

Neo Member
I would have contributed the $500 but I'm going to be in America! I dropped $10 in the bucket but I'll probably up it to $80 when I get the money.

Thanks mate! Funnily, the two 500$ contributions we had were from America and Canada :D
But the backers knew in the first place that I was not going there, so it was fine.
If you want to up your pledge don't forget there's only 10 hours. Yes, we're that close to the end :D

So can you start a kickstart project and then use the money to hire people to help you with the game?

How does it work exactly?

I mean if somebody had a great idea but needed help with it, could the funds go towards hiring a small team?
The funds could be used for whatever you wanted, though if you're somebody with no team you might have trouble convincing people you're worth putting up as much money as you'd need.

Gaspode_T

I would have given money to the devs behind the Shadowrun and Mechwarrior projects - in hindsight those are good examples of games that no one in publisher world believes in ( and sometimes NeoGAF seems that way besides Brimstone and a few others...) but have potentially huge communities that have just been waiting for the right thing to come along.

I was just looking for some project that one of my Twitter pals was doing and I saw that it already passed deadline without reaching goal :|

Thanks mate! Funnily, the two 500$ contributions we had were from America and Canada :D
But the backers knew in the first place that I was not going there, so it was fine.
If you want to up your pledge don't forget there's only 10 hours. Yes, we're that close to the end :D

Pledge upped to $80! Now I'm all excite. :D

Top Bottom