• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ND Jan 23rd 2013) New Pikmin 3 Screenshots

bryehn

Doesn't really look so hot to me. I mean I'll still play it and it'll probably be fun, but it's not much of a looker at all.

i8kiZ4SmfLqYf.png

I've been to parties that were pretty much this.

This brightened up my day. Thanks... ;)

Alex

Why do the ground textures suck so much? Don't they know they can use bump mapping? At least use a higher resolution texture...

Because it was originally a Wii game, and I'd imagine the strong bulk of asset creation was already done. Still, it looks very solid, IMO, despite that. I hope they have good variety in the areas again, Pikmin 2 had a really decent assortment.

Durante

Why do the ground textures suck so much?
The ground textures don't really "suck so much". They look like they suck because the game doesn't have AF, and the ground is a prime example of a surface which has an angle to the camera which makes it lose all detail with isotropic filtering.

Look at the screenshot with the stone. For sure, the stone uses the same texture everywhere, but the side facing the camera looks 10 times better than the one at an angle.

It's probably meant to show off the game, not the graphical effects.
Of course, I was commenting on the coincidence of having a screenshot that so clearly illustrates the benefits of anisotropic filtering (or the drawbacks of its lack) when not specifically selecting for it.

Margalis

Banned
It's amusing how this screenshot almost seems designed to illustrate that the game doesn't use anisotropic texture filtering.

During actual gameplay the camera angle is almost never that oblique. These are photo-mode shots.

Same thing with the polygons in the guy's eyeball. You're never going to see the eyeball that close in the actual game, it would be fairly moronic from a resources standpoint to give it a ton of polys.

Because it was originally a Wii game, and I'd imagine the strong bulk of asset creation was already done. Still, it looks very solid, IMO, despite that. I hope they have good variety in the areas again, Pikmin 2 had a really decent assortment.

It starting as a Wii game does not excuse or explain the bad ground textures. It's not like it takes an entire development team to create a ground texture. It would take very little to fix this problem. That is why I'm pretty disappointed to see the delays were not also used for visual polish.

The game looks pretty great, don't get me wrong. I can't wait to play it.

ant1532

Banned
people are complaining about the graphics? wow. the game has fucking fantastic art direction and visuals. yet you're complaining about the ground textures?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, looks nice.

Still need to beat Pikmin 2 on Wii though D:

Considering these are photo mode pics i wouldn't be surprised if the in-game visuals haven't actually changed at all since the last time we saw it.

Probably because looking at the ground textures seems to be missing the point. But, everyone is entitled to an opinion, including if the other opinion is wrong.

What is the point then? Ignore everything except the Pikmin? Those textures are kind of hard to miss at an angle. They just do not fit.

But really at this point, I don't care about the textures or whatever. It just pisses me off that people get so damn defensive when someone criticizes something. You don't have a problem with it? That's great. Would you mind if the textures were better? I bet you wouldn't. So why give me a hard time when I'm just suggesting things that would make the game look better?

It's not like I said I want them to delay it again. I said I wish they had polished it during the delay.

before pikmin 3 was announced people would rave about how bad they wanted it. now it's finally coming out and the gigantic hype around it shrunk immensely and now people are complaining about the ground textures.

the phrase "this is why we can't have nice things" is exactly how I feel.

I didn't say we should just send it back to Nintendo and forget about the game. I just suggested something that should be polished. That is all.

I want to play it. I've wanted to play it for a very long time. The ground will not make me hate the game.

ant1532

Banned
Yeah? It's a simple fix. It should have been taken care of. Why so defensive about that?

before pikmin 3 was announced people would rave about how bad they wanted it. now it's finally coming out and the gigantic hype around it shrunk immensely and now people are complaining about the ground textures.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Everything looks great apart from the polygonal eyes. I hope they fix that before they release it.

Thats because its coming out and people dont like the way some of the graphics look. He didnt even say he wasnt going to buy it, he was just pointing out something that could be touched up before its released. Calm down.

Ground textures don't look great, some of the other textures look really nice.

*shrug*

I hope the game is as polished as humanly possible before it releases, though.

The Boat

It's times like these I'm glad I'm not too focused on graphics, eagle eyed and tech minded. I see a great looking game that excites me, while all some people can say is "shitty ground textures" and whatnot. If this was graphically "insulting" it would make sense, but in this case, man am I glad I'm not like that.

Don't mean this as an insult, each own can have his own priorities.

Thats because its coming out and people dont like the way some of the graphics look. He didnt even say he wasnt going to buy it, he was just pointing out something that could be touched up before its released. Calm down.

Someone gets it. And yes, I am definitely buying it. I love Pikmin.

The graphics are great, but it's clearly a grown up Wii game - note the better shaders, effects and lighting - they're fantastic and really stand out. However, the poly count and textures are a little low quality.

I'm still buying, and the game still looks amazing. Looks like they've improved the overall IQ since last time too.

heyf00L

The ground textures look bad because these are all really low angle shots and the game appears to have little if any anisotropic filtering (AF).

Look in all of the pictures, and the more perpendicular the texture is to the camera, the better it looks.

Like look at how the ground curves up and gets sharper here.

When you're playing with the normal top-down camera, I suspect the ground will look a ton better.

Of course Nintendo could just use AF and be done with it. It's not a huge performance hit.

beril

The textures are all over the place, and I can't help but get irritated at the horrible polygon count on the eyeballs..

I hope people realise this is just showcasing the games photomode and 95% of the time you will be playing the game with a topdown camera and much more zoomed out. If your assets don't look blurry and lowpoly when zoomed in much closer than ever possible during normal gameplay, you're doing something wrong.

Top Bottom