• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

giga

Nice.

zlfCLLU.png

Damon

past rumors said no face id for apple pay because it's not secure enough
No they have not said that😂Don't spread nonsense.

You really believe Apple would resort to pin only for Apple Play?

Rumours have said FaceID will be used for Apple Pay, as seen in the HomePod software, there's never been a rumour from a credible source saying it won't be used for Apple Pay.

FaceID is said to me secure due to capture more data points than TouchID.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Oh man. I can't even how terrible Google's animoji will look like.

They already fucked up the emojis in Android 8. Ugh. We really are back to the MSN/Yahoo messenger days. 😓

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Oh man. I can't even how terrible Google's animoji will look like.

They already fucked up the emojis in Android 8. Ugh. We really are back to the MSN/Yahoo messenger days. 😓

Maybe people will start using emojis less.

O..oh no...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maybe they’ll do Apple Pay like the Apple Watch does? Double tap the pow....side button to enable it, and the phone is always pre-authorised as long as it has seen your face recently? Like the Apple Watch doesn’t require authentication as long as it stays on your wrist after the first pin code entry.

hirokazu

Maybe they’ll do Apple Pay like the Apple Watch does? Double tap the pow....side button to enable it, and the phone is always pre-authorised as long as it has seen your face recently? Like the Apple Watch doesn’t require authentication as long as it stays on your wrist after the first pin code entry.
That’s not secure enough though. Apple Watch is preauthorised because it knows exactly when it’s been removed from the wrist. Seeing a face recently doesn’t really cut it.

9to5Mac kinda made it sound like somebody leaked the GM to them. It’s entirely possibly they just found the files on Apple’s servers because it was eventually found there by others, but either way, Jobs probably would have fired the guy who accidentally made the early HomePod firmware available publically. Then to have them repeat the same mistake with the iOS 11 GM shortly after? Even with Tim Cook in charge I suspect someone’s in deep trouble over this.

It's only $100 to sign up for the Apple Developer program. Literally anyone can do it. When you're in that program you get access to betas and GMs, different from public betas, so you can build your apps for the new releases. HomePods needs to be there so whatever apps can build into it. This isn't some employee released thing.

hirokazu

It's only $100 to sign up for the Apple Developer program. Literally anyone can do it. When you're in that program you get access to betas and GMs, different from public betas, so you can build your apps for the new releases. HomePods needs to be there so whatever apps can build into it. This isn't some employee released thing.
That’s not what happened here or we’d be getting leaks like this every year. The dev program only gives you access to betas and GM when Apple allows you to have them.

I’m in the developer beta and I don’t have access to the GM.

This is from an employee.

hirokazu

Huh, I always thought GM's were seeded to developers. I remember getting access to GM's from people with developer accounts.
The GM is generally seeded to developers immediately following their special event, after they’ve already unveiled everything to the public, such that digging through it wouldn’t reveal anything they don’t want people to find yet. This GM made its way to 9to5Mac as well as being put on Apple’s publically accessible servers half a week beforehand.

snap

Banned
No they have not said that😂Don't spread nonsense.

You really believe Apple would resort to pin only for Apple Play?

Rumours have said FaceID will be used for Apple Pay, as seen in the HomePod software, there's never been a rumour from a credible source saying it won't be used for Apple Pay.

FaceID is said to me secure due to capture more data points than TouchID.

yes they did

https://www.slashgear.com/iphone-8-face-unlock-wont-work-with-apple-pay-03493840/

Slash Gear said:
According to those who have dug through the evidence, there is nothing pointing to the fact that it can be used for Apple Pay, though some contest that there actually is some evidence to the contrary.

That’s got to be one of the sleaziest ways to make a claim without committing to it that I’ve ever read.

“According to some people, there’s no evidence of this thing. Other people suggest there is evidence of this thing. But we’ll make a clickbait headline because tech journalism is a joke.”

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thinking Apple would introduce a new biometric without having it apply to Apple Pay is the most puzzling shit in the world to me. And it keeps popping up, over and over again, regardless of what leaks of varying credibility say.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
A11 will supposedly rock a 4+2 core config and outperform the A10X (iPad Pro 2017)
https://twitter.com/never_released/status/906916221836292096
https://twitter.com/never_released/status/906923254635524096

Nice try Huawei

Holy shit.

Nobody else is even in the same race. Year after year, Apple's CPUs are blowing away the competition - but I have to be honest, I thought this would be the first year where we didn't see a leap from the A10X to the new phone CPU, mainly because the A10X is such a beast. There are plenty of benchmarks online about it being comprable to laptop CPUs, etc, etc - but if you haven't tinkered with the iPad Pro 2017, let me tell you this: I couldn't get it to hiccup if I tried. Every.single.animation was perfect. Every app launched instantly. Multitasking on the 11 beta is flawless - speed wise.

Better than that on a lower-resolution device is just insanity. I'm all for it.

Red

Do we think the lower end devices will share the same chip? Like is the only differentiating feature on the X the display and front cameras? I hope so, certainly. But that cost difference could signal a more drastic change.

I would gladly "settle" for the 8+ if it was a bit quicker and had the usual improved cameras and camera features. I hope these things aren't locked behind yet another tier of premium device.

giga

Do we think the lower end devices will share the same chip? Like is the only differentiating feature on the X the display and front cameras? I hope so, certainly. But that cost difference could signal a more drastic change.

I would gladly "settle" for the 8+ if it was a bit quicker and had the usual improved cameras and camera features. I hope these things aren't locked behind yet another tier of premium device.
The 8 will get the A11 too yes.

Holy cow if true, makes my iPhone 7 look weak o_O

Also is It possible that iOS 11 will come out the same day as the conference or at a later date?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think new iOS updates usually come out if not the same day, at least the same week of the conference.

Fhtagn

is the end goal here for apple to put their A chips into macs, or is that impossible for lots of tech reasons?

I think this is the inevitable path for the low-weight/long-battery oriented MacBook, within 5 years even, but I'm less sure at the Pro end of the line. Though maybe there's a future with a 32 core A series iMac Pro...

My reasoning for this multifold:

- intel is struggling to keep up in low power performance
- the iPad Pro is already geekbenching faster than the MacBook.
- the low end MacBook is arguably the market with the least need to dual boot into Windows.
- OS X is starting down the "64 bit only is the future, we are warning you now that this is the future of the line and eventually there will be no 32 bit support at all."
- which is a strong encouragement to get all popular OS X apps compiling on recent X Code...
- Apple has more institutional memory and skill at migrating an entire actively OS and/or developer ecosystem from one hardware platform to another, what with 680x0 -> PPC -> Intel and 32 bit iOS to bit 64 iOS and migrating carbon/classic/cocoa during the Mac OS 9 to OS X…
- and Apple loves owning the whole stack from top to bottom and to free themselves of Intel's delays would be very welcome. Not as bad as the IBM G5 situation but we're getting there.

Now, maybe despite all that it's going to continue to be impractical forever and it's just going to get weirder and weirder as iOS devices start being twice as fast or more than low end Macs. Or maybe iOS continues to mature on a path where the MacBook gracefully fades out in favor of the iPad Pro and macOS retreats into development, science and high end creative industries only...

But I think it'll happen eventually.

jstripes

Banned
A11 will supposedly rock a 4+2 core config and outperform the A10X (iPad Pro 2017)
https://twitter.com/never_released/status/906916221836292096
https://twitter.com/never_released/status/906923254635524096

Nice try Huawei

Do any of Apple's laptops even have more than 4 cores?

I think this is the inevitable path for the low-weight/long-battery oriented MacBook, within 5 years even, but I'm less sure at the Pro end of the line. Though maybe there's a future with a 32 core A series iMac Pro...

My reasoning for this multifold:

- intel is struggling to keep up in low power performance
- the iPad Pro is already geekbenching faster than the MacBook.
- the low end MacBook is arguably the market with the least need to dual boot into Windows.
- OS X is starting down the "64 bit only is the future, we are warning you now that this is the future of the line and eventually there will be no 32 bit support at all."
- which is a strong encouragement to get all popular OS X apps compiling on recent X Code...
- Apple has more institutional memory and skill at migrating an entire actively OS and/or developer ecosystem from one hardware platform to another, what with 680x0 -> PPC -> Intel and 32 bit iOS to bit 64 iOS and migrating carbon/classic/cocoa during the Mac OS 9 to OS X...
- and Apple loves owning the whole stack from top to bottom and to free themselves of Intel's delays would be very welcome. Not as bad as the IBM G5 situation but we're getting there.

Now, maybe despite all that it's going to continue to be impractical forever and it's just going to get weirder and weirder as iOS devices start being twice as fast or more than low end Macs. Or maybe iOS continues to mature on a path where the MacBook gracefully fades out in favor of the iPad Pro and macOS retreats into development, science and high end creative industries only...

But I think it'll happen eventually.

I can absolutely see the MacBook going ARM in the mid-future. Despite it going against what Apple's been saying, there's no way Apple doesn't have a long term iOS/macOS convergence strategy.

Is the 1080p 240 something the Note 8 can't implement with a software Upgrade? That's something was hoping the Note would be able to do. It's kind of a bummer that they still have 1080 60 as max video

Top Bottom