• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 34 too old to learn how to skateboard.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
i would say don't do it

I don't jump stairs or grind anymore or even much in the way of ollies. If he wears wristguards and a helmet he'll be fine just cruising around until he gains some skill. Just took around a park at your own pace till you're confidence grows

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Yes. And highly embarrassing.

No, but It will be extremely embarrassing

Oh fuck right off.

Don't do this. You're old, and it's a lot harder to heal from injuries. And have you been to a skate park recently? Do you really want hang out with 12 year olds? Do you really want to be seen as a guy that hangs out with preteens.

There are other active hobbies outdoor hobbies associated with an older crowd. Start rock climbing or something.

34 is not fucking old, Christ on a bike. I mean BMX is seen as a "young person's" sport and has a 46 year old still kicking ass.

If I learned something today is that ageism is still a thing.

As a 39 year old....Im gonna say 'don't do it', not because I don't think you could learn it, or have fun, or would look stupid, I just know that how much stuff hurts increases exponentially between age 30, and 40.

When I was 30, I was in perfect condition, thought I'd cruise through my 30's. Now Im 39, and while I appear to be in fine health, and Im in shape still, so many bumps and bruises have turned into nagging pain that doesn't go away ever / or comes back too easily.

A hobby with less potential to 'fall hard' often, would be my suggestion. Gravity will turn its back on you soon.

But if you do, good luck, and shred stuff man.

Or just wear appropriate protection, because fuck getting hurt as a price of looking "hard".

Go for it OP. Get out there and shred, it'll likely do you the world of good.

Ovid

Why are you asking a message board if you can do something?

You're 34, if you want to start a new hobby and get in shape while doing it, JUST DO IT.

Depending where you live, its a good method of travel. I've been wanting a longboard for awhile since they're easier to use than smaller boards. Not yet, but it's on a list. Winter sucks.

dohdough

When I started blading again, there were lots of OG woodpushers that were starting up again that were around my age, late 30's. I even saw a dude in his late 40's doing tricks competently.

My only advice is to wear protective gear and have fun.

Go for it but be careful. I skated a lot when I was a teenager and broke my ankle really badly when I was 16. I'm 30 now and still have problems with that ankle. At your age a serious injury could be pretty devastating, so just take it easy and don't attempt anything too crazy and you should be good.

otapnam

I picked up 2 boards recently (34) and have been casually trying to learn. I snowboard but never got into skateboarding. I put some cruiser wheels on one because i wanted to use it for commuting from Mass transit to work (San Fransisco).

The thing that's tough for me is i ride normal on the snowboard but I'm goofy on the Skateboard.

I'm ok if i never get any real tricks down but if i can get around quick I'll be happy

VAeA885.jpg

I'm proud of all of you

Wear a helmet. I had a friend who died when he was 30. Fell off a skateboard, hit his head, his brain started swelling and he was dead a day later.

muu

Neighbor's been hooked on this "one wheel" motorized skateboard. First he was practicing w/ skate board, then he got one and was sharing it w/ his son, now they have two of them.

Be a little careful and have a blast.

KingV

Go for it dude.

I skated for a good 10-15 years but stopped a few years ago due to age or whatever, but having turned 30 last year I fell in love with it again and have been skating again this year.

I have the experience to fall back on, but skaters are generally very welcoming, especially if you find a group of people in their 20s at your park.

I'd probably nail down the basics before going to your park, ollies are a necessity. It's not easy to learn, but one you get the Ollie, everything else starts to fall into place.

Good luck!

I think there's a big benefit with YouTube now to learn tricks.

Back in the day I remember reading Thrasher and learning to Ollie and took me forever (and I was still never really very good).

M.J. Doja

Banned
Just wear pads and make sure you don't break shit when you fall.

You're definitely not a teenager anymore so you gotta think about the possiblity of injuries.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You're only 34 OP.

I think things like this will seem less weird if you were legitimately able to grow up doing whatever. Video games used to be just for kids but since we all grew up with it, it's not as odd to see a middle aged person playing them. That's because we're kinda living in an era where people are doing all the things they did when they were younger and not really growing out of stuff. If people do "grow out of stuff", it's often because they just didn't have enough time to keep up with it or got out of shape or whatever.

kottila

As the title says. Im 34 and looking for a hobby. I used to rollerblade alot as a teenager but never really tried skateboarding apart from knowing how to do a stationary ollie. As i get older i feel like im slowing down, my coordination is getting worse and im healing slower but i dont want to give up being an idiot just yet.
I dont want to do x games. Just drop in to a half pipe. Couple of grinds on a pavement.
Will i die, or break bones? Has my time passed?

Should add, im going through a bit of a slump. Doc has said its depression or fibromyalgia. Ive put on a bit of weight. The dr said any exercise will help hugely. But the gym is so boring. I never stick it out.

Get a bike instead and join the MAMIL-club (middleaged men in lycra). Much less risk of injuries

RefigeKru

Banned
There's a 60 year old skater who rolls through Brixton sometimes, loads of older guys there too - some even started in their 30s, 40s.

It's never too late man. Freedom is part of the reason to skate.

psyfi

Banned
I didn't start skiing until my 40s. It isn't too late unless you have a condition.

In your 30s you say you don't care what people think.... in your 40s you will mean it. Who gives a flying shit about embarrassing?
this is so true

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tony Hawk is almost 50 so if you're younger than 50 you can still do it. I hate the mentality that you're too old to learn something new.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm 31, and I used to skateboard every single day for 4 to 6 hours. At about 20-21 I stopped because my knees and ankles were in a lot of pain.

I still have a board, and I'll take it out every once in a while, even as someone who was a skilled skater, I still feel out of my depth on a board now.

You would need to start with the very basics with someone who knows what they're doing and can teach you. Make it a daily activity and be prepared for a lot of scrapes, bruises, and sprains. It's doable, but would require some serious dedication.

34 isn't too old to learn anything. You're in the prime of your life right now. I learned to skate when I was 23, I was also self conscious about it because it is true that most people learn to skate at a young age.

I bought a board went to a nearby park at twilight when no one else was around, then I just practiced skating on their basketball court. The court was smooth with no chance of getting caught on something and falling over, and was big enough to practice my balance. I did this everyday for 2-3 weeks straight. One day I decided I was comfortable enough to skate home from the park and it was a great feeling. After that I'd skate everywhere just for fun. Every night after work I grab my board and just skate around the neighborhood to decompress. Don't be afraid to learn!

People think I'm a manchild because I ride a bike.

I'm an avid cyclist and that sucks. It really depends on where you live, though. When I was living in Los Angeles, people just assumed you were destitute if you rode your bike everywhere. I heard it all, from constant little comments from co workers like "omg do you need a ride home, why don't you have a car!?" to more blatant "are you saving up to buy a car?" -- Not to mention the constant stares from people in cars while you're waiting at a light, like people can't believe what they are seeing. A guy on a bike! Who knew?

Meanwhile, my bike was worth 5+ of their car payments and I did/do have a car. I don't understand people sometimes.

I live in Portland, Oregon now and I don't deal with that nonsense anymore. A large percentage of the city commutes on their bikes and I never get a second look.

Fonds

Whatever people say about padding, dont wear those.
It'll only make injuries worse and you'll be even less comfortable when learning the basics.
Just so we're clear, that doesn't go for wearing a helmet.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Whatever people say about padding, dont wear those.
It'll only make injuries worse and you'll be even less comfortable when learning the basics.
Just so we're clear, that doesn't go for wearing a helmet.

Well certain skate parks require pads.

What injuries would be worse? The ones that pads wouldn't protect against, like ankles and shins?

RdN

My coordinator at work decided to learn to skate. He's 32.

Bought a cool board and all.

First weekend, he fell and broke his collarbone. Now he's on leave for 3 months.

norm9

37 and still skating, brah. It's good exercise to just cruise around and get some air. Falling hurts more than when I was a teenager though.

I'm 32 and while I want to learn something much less dangerous (inline skating, but just skating and not doing crazy stuff), I am kinda worried about how much a bad fall can mess me and how long it would take to heal. After some time, you begin to worry about the future.

Usobuko

Banned
I also feel like I heal slower and my reflexes get duller these days. I was pretty active in school before I hit 20s.

I always feel like intensive physical activities are out of bound because injuries do take longer to heal.

But there's still so much things I haven't tried or experience enough.

sasimirobot

Sure why not?

FLAT GROUND is your friend

You are not going to be chucking your carcass down 16 stair gaps/rails at that age, nor have the urge, skill, or motivation to.

Flat ground skateboarding is comparable to riding a bicycle, skiing, unicycle, etc...

You probably have a better chance at getting hurt trying to start up basketball, baseball, or any team sport at that age than trying to kick-flip a skateboard.

I say go for it!

im 28 and i just started skating again..after a looong gap. maybe since i was 21? i say your good to go unless you are afraid to fall. just remember that if you do, shit happens and it is what it is..

34 isn't too old to do anything. People take up new things their whole lives, people in their 80s and 90s learn to swim and play the piano. Age is just an excuse.

FyreWulff

what

how? Is it like a BMX bike or something?

I don't see how anyone can think this when people all over the world and of all ages ride bikes.

It's mostly a US thing, you'll get comments from people while riding a bike. "Did you drink too much and lost your car?!?!! LOLOLOLOL"

Goofalo

I'm 41 and have cancer, and have had 2 related heart attacks. I'm trying to do as much new stuff as possible.

You should do it.

Before you don't have enough time.

Pizza

Lol nah op, I'm 25 and I'm going to learn this winter/next summer. I want to be able to skate around and dooo something outside. Gonna try to get a couple friends to skate with me.

I've always wanted to learn haha I'd say go for it! You're an adult, do what you want with your time!

Top Bottom