• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

Sure, but did they really expect the death of single player games to the point that they would flat out refuse games for being single player? That's kind of crazy
I would say they and Sony have refused games for less.

Look at it from a business point of view, these guys from Spain come to you proposing a single player tower defence type game and they want you to fund it. But your current business strategy is multiplayer games as a service. Where does that game fit in? It's not like they maliciously rejected it, it just didn't fit their business strategy. It probably wasn't worth taking it and paying for retooling to MS. Sony must have saw some potential in it and took it.

daman824

So canceling an indie game is equivalent to canceling a big 1st party triple A, and completely shutting down the whole studio without giving non of the staff any notice ? One of the few studios you have left at that.
I wouldn't call fable legends a AAA game.

lherre

Accurate
All this info comes from a source very close to the studio.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

daman824

I absolutely would.
It was f2p, and quality wise, wasn't close to other 1st party games recently released by Microsoft (yes I played it). Added to the fact that it wasn't a mainline fable project.

But can we stop talking about fable legends? I shouldn't have brought it up.

GlamFM

Banned

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains is coming from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

Hot mess.

Elandyll

Banned

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains is coming from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

Oof.
If it all checks out (and I know you've been "verified"), it almost sounds like they borderline scammed Sony (and gamers) into funding them.

Wonder how on Earth they found the money to "re-acquire" the IP, unless they had a contract clause that specified Sony would return the IP if they stopped funding the project...

Trevelyon

Um, so what was the E3 trailer then, just more smoke and mirrors.

Damn.

Ouch. Thanks for posting this.

daman824

"Sony too"
Lol ignore my other post then.

Going by rumors, it's pretty easy to see that this game never really got off of its concept phase.

One rumor says that the first part of the game was only recently finished 3 years after it was announced. Sorry, Sony is at some fault for announcing the game in 2013. I bought a ps4 in part because of this game. It's annoying that this is how everything turned out. It's not "Sony too" as much as it is "I wish this game were coming out, if it wasn't even close to being an enjoyable game, let alone a game period, why did Sony announce it?"

Actually, yeah this game should have never been announced. That reveal trailer was cgi?

I feel a bit uneasy about someone getting a public haranguing without having all the facts.

Not having a go at you though, lherre.

If that's true, then Sony should've never ever released that trailer. That gives me Killzone 2 vibes right there.

If the artists from Tequila Works read this, we're still looking for supreme talent at Moon Studios for our next titles :D

Lol ignore my other post then.

Going by rumors, it's pretty easy to see that this game never really got off of its concept phase.

One rumor says that the first part of the game was only recently finished 3 years after it was announced. Sorry, Sony is at some fault for announcing the game in 2013. I bought a ps4 in part because of this game. It's annoying that this is how everything turned out. It's not "Sony too" as much as it is "I wish this game were coming out, if it wasn't even close to being an enjoyable game, why did Sony announce it?"

Actually, yeah this game should have never been announced. That reveal trailer was cgi?
If TW had a plan in place to release late 2014/early 2015 so Sony revealed it, how is TW missing deadlines Sony's fault?

You don't know why it was revealed so I don't see why you should blame Sony over blaming the Dev?

Damn so the game didnt even exist?? So they pitched that original concept to Sony and couldnt deliver on it. Plus shady company heads and barely any developers...

So rime was itsfuckingnothing.gif from the beginning. Doubt we'll be seeing much more from Tequila Works.

My hope is in Wild now.

daman824

If TW had a plan in place to release late 2014/early 2015 so Sony revealed it, how is TW missing deadlines Sony's fault?

You don't know why it was revealed so I don't see why you should blame Sony over blaming the Dev?
Sony shouldn't be announcing a game with a cgi trailer that was made to look exactly like gameplay without telling people the trailer wasn't actual gameplay. They also shouldn't have trusted the studio.

They JUST RECENTLY finished the first part of the game going by rumors, three years after it was announced by Sony. This was their IP, of course they hold some of the blame here

Walpurgis

Banned

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

This lines up with the rumours that we heard a few months back. Thanks for sharing.

This game is now dead to me.

Tuck

What a shame.

Trevelyon

So, would've Sony known the gamescon reveal trailer was complete bunk and only a 'concept' of what the game could potentially be, or were Sony themselves completely misled.

qVDuDuP.png

Guymelef

Always surprised me to see Raúl travelling around the world (not Rime business travels) etc... while game was in development...

So simply said: Rime was practically a scam?

I would say they and Sony have refused games for less.

Look at it from a business point of view, these guys from Spain come to you proposing a single player tower defence type game and they want you to fund it. But your current business strategy is multiplayer games as a service. Where does that game fit in? It's not like they maliciously rejected it, it just didn't fit their business strategy. It probably wasn't worth taking it and paying for retooling to MS. Sony must have saw some potential in it and took it.

Wait what?! Rime was supposed to be a tower defense type game? I hadn't gotten that vibe from it at all, maybe I should go back and rewatch those announcement trailers.

LiK

man, this game looked so good. what's going on with it. i wish the devs would do a vlog explaining the status.

Tankard

Ouch!

So, would've Sony known the gamescon reveal trailer was complete bunk and only a 'concept' of what the game could potentially be, or were Sony themselves completely misled.

I'm sure they did their due diligence before they signed the project, so obviously they must have known. There's a LOT of work that goes into a signing a project, cause there's a lot of money at risk. As a developer, you have to organize and layout the entire development schedule for the project (meaning you basically break down the projects development on a monthly or bi-monthly basis into 'milestones' and the developer gets paid upon delivering these milestones) and it usually takes at least 4-6 months to get something signed due to the process being fairly intricate.

Having said that, as a publisher, you always bank on talent. You always take a risk and hope that the developer actually comes through and knows what they're doing. In an ideal world, the publisher just gives the studio money and the studio makes a hit, while the publisher puts some effort into marketing and positioning the title. I'd say Sony did a good job getting people excited for Rime, but it does strike me as a little odd that they willingly and knowingly published that video, knowing that it was all smoke and mirrors.

That is, IF those rumors are actually all true and there's always two sides of any story... In any case, it's a nice move by Sony that they at least allowed them to get the IP back.

As a developer, I'd shit my pants if I'd know that all I have is a video with some nice visuals and we haven't yet proven out the gameplay.

Dayum.

Sony was definitely at fault somewhat. It was their IP. And they announced the game 3 years ago with practically no news since then. And now it's pretty much cancelled. Like Microsoft with fable legends, I'd definitely say Sony isn't completely blameless.

I originally added the /s because I didn't want anyone to think I was an insider. But thinking about it more, I stand by my original post

At fault for what? Blamed how? Obviously we don't and will never know the particulars, but as stated before Sony has probably earned a little more benefit of the doubt in this case because they have proven they are not averse to publishing or backing games that don't have a ton of commercial appeal, or that take too long to develop. There must have been something especially wrong with this project for them to drop it. Doesn't neccesarily mean Sony did anything wrong. They took a chance on a smaller dev and a project they thought looked promising. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.

Top Bottom