• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My blood pressure is 128/60... Heart rate is 68... Good/bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

120/80ish, heartrate's a little fast resting at 70-80, though I have a slight arrhythmia that tends to affect it.

s7evn

That's pretty good. Your diastolic pressure is good, the systolic is fine as well (depending on your age). Looks like your arteries are clean. As for my own, I have no idea.

GhaleonEB

I just had my checkup yesterday. 106/64. Cholesterol is 143, with an 80/45 LDL/HDL split.

My BMI is in the top 90 percentile for Americans (which is admittedly sandbagging a bit).

Which means I can keep eating pizza.

s7evn

CHEATIN MAH INSURANCE!

If you have high BP you're at a much higher risk for a stroke, and will eventually have one. If you're BP is fine, it doesn't matter, cheat as much as you want. (I'm not sure slowing down your pulse affects BP).

Oh, I could tell a funny story from the hospital.

Most patients on the ICU have arterial catheters connected to a monitor to check the real time blood pressure. Once there was a severe ill patient going into cardiac arrest, the nurses and doctors started their routine of CPR and what not. After a couple of minutes they realise that they can't do much for him. The senior physician then said: "Hey, do you think you can beat my blood pressure?" and starts pressing again. So, this turns into a contest who can get the highest blood pressure on the patient with the CPR. All while the crying wife sits in the next room.

:D

I got my blood pressure and heartrate checked in August/September and it was 78 and 119/76.

I was at the pharmacy this past weekend and used their blood pressure machine and it said my blood pressure was 143/56. Am I gonna die? Actually, I think the machine was just borked.

Puddles

Banned
It's been a year, but I was right in the normal range last year. I should get a cholesterol check and everything else before I turn 30. Just need to get health insurance first, or move to another country.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
120/80ish, heartrate's a little fast resting at 70-80, though I have a slight arrhythmia that tends to affect it.

This is pretty much me, as well. Though I think my heart rate averages a little higher. Like, 75-85. BP's usually around 120/70.

However, I'm on 25mg of Metoprolol 2x/day to keep my heart rate down. Has more to do with anxiety than anything else, though. Although I do tend to get PVCs when my heart rate climbs into the 100s. Which it generally does when I do anything even remotely physical.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Most patients on the ICU have arterial catheters connected to a monitor to check the real time blood pressure. Once there was a severe ill patient going into cardiac arrest, the nurses and doctors started their routine of CPR and what not. After a couple of minutes they realise that they can't do much for him. The senior physician then said: "Hey, do you think you can beat my blood pressure?" and starts pressing again. So, this turns into a contest who can get the highest blood pressure on the patient with the CPR. All while the crying wife sits in the next room.

Doctors and nurses have some fucked up sense of humor. I cant blame them too much though.

TommyT

If you have high BP you're at a much higher risk for a stroke, and will eventually have one. If you're BP is fine, it doesn't matter, cheat as much as you want. (I'm not sure slowing down your pulse affects BP).

But yes, I know this thanks.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill

I laughed at this way more than I should have.

I got my blood pressure and heartrate checked in August/September and it was 78 and 119/76.

I was at the pharmacy this past weekend and used their blood pressure machine and it said my blood pressure was 143/56. Am I gonna die? Actually, I think the machine was just borked.

Automatic bp-machines mostly suck. The most accurate are the arterial catheters I mentioned, or a nurse who can use these:

392px-Sphygmomanometer%26Cuff.JPG

You also have to pay attention if the cuff is appropriate for your arm. If your arm is too small, the bp is false and too high.

And if you are feeling that your blood pressure is too high, you should get it checked more often than twice. More like 3 times a day on 3 seperate days.

Automatic bp-machines mostly suck. The most accurate are the arterial catheters I mentioned, or a nurse who can use these:

You also have to pay attention if the cuff is appropriate for your arm. If your arm is too small, the bp is false and too high.

Yeah, I'm not really too worried. If I hadn't just had it taken by a nurse back this past fall it might be a little more concerning. Especially given that I have increased my exercise levels since then and have been avoiding cholesterol.

TheContact

The only way I can find out my blood pressure is from my doctor. My treadmill tells me my heart rate. But just ask your doctor!

Usually 110- 130 over 70-90.
Heart beat from 70 to 100.

Got admitted to hospital last year with very high blood pressure, and a heart rate of 148-150 bpm. Yeah I wasn't well. Few more days and I would have probably went into cardiac arrest.

shuri

Banned
My body screws up with this stuff..Seems my body goes in freak out mode and gives hyper high epic readings; so much that my doctor was WTF, then i come back a week later to do the test and i'm at super normal levels

ultron87

I'm going to the doctor for the first time in a year and half tomorrow for a physical.

We'll see if my post-college life style has destroyed my body.

TheContact

I'm going to the doctor for the first time in a year and half tomorrow for a physical.

We'll see if my post-college life style has destroyed my body.

I'm 25 and I just went for a physical. The year before I had a physical too. My doctor said people my age don't need to come this often and I was healthy. I too was afraid college destroyed me lol.

Souplak

I once had 180/120 for a couple of weeks and that really sucked. Every time I bent down I got a splitting headache and my chest/heart started to hurt the moment my pulse went up. But those weeks taught me not to get stressed for nothing and dont worry about things you cant change.

That can't possibly be after meds.

There are various conditions and illnesses where your blood pressure doesn't go down even with medication. Hell, it's even a diagnosis factor sometimes.

Hypertension is very serious business folks, it's one of the first cause/favorising factor of death in developped countries, don't let it untreated.

bjork

My record was 159/97. When it let me put my initials in, I put "FUK" because that's what the cool kids do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom