• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

Guymelef

From Press Release.
At the start of the open beta, over a 100 titles covering a wide range of genres will be available from SCE Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) and the industry’s best software developers and publishers. SCE will work with its publishing partners to test various rental periods and prices, depending on how and when players would like to game. For example, there will be shorter rental periods priced as low as US$2.99, and most titles will be between US$2.99 and US$19.99. As with all content published on PlayStation platforms, publishers and developers will ultimately decide their game price points. Furthermore, SCE plans to offer subscription options in the future.

nelchaar

Makes sense. The newer titles will also probably cost more. Different publishers will dictate different prices. Hopefully the rental periods would be decent, like $19.99 for like 3 months or so, maybe more.

What "rental" period could possibly be worth 20 bucks?

He's saying rentals will be as low as $3.

Game prices, presumably yours to keep, go from $3 to $20. Otherwise they'd just be repeating the $3 figure for no real reason.

EDIT: On second thought, it looks like they're strictly talking about rentals here.

$20 for a rental? Unless it's a brand new release and you get it for a good while then I don't see anyone willing to pay that much.

Reads more like you can buy games for ~$3-20 AND rent games for $3.

"Most titles will be between..."

It may not mean what I read it as. I'm interested to hear more, though I doubt I'll ever use it.

drproton

People who engage in Gamestop's preorder-trade cycle spend more than $20 for a relatively short time with a game.

I'm not saying it's smart or a good value, but it exists.

KalBalboa

Banned
$20 gets you 2 games at Gamefly on any platform running natively on my system. Good luck with that pricing Sony.

The key difference here, obviously, is that you get these games instantaneously. You don't even need the platforms they were developed for, too.

1. Remove backwards compatibility
2. charge me to rent games I own but can no longer play
3. profit.....

You got rid of your PS3?

What "rental" period could possibly be worth 20 bucks?

The current scheme is 1 day, 7 days, and 30 days. I'm not sure a playstation console player would rent a game for $20 when they could redbox it or whatever, but in the long run, they are targeting Vitas, and TVs so I can see people more than willing to rent GTAIV or any of the Uncharted series for 20 bucks to play on those devices.

Kayant

publishers and developers will ultimately decide their game price points. Furthermore, SCE plans to offer subscription options in the future.

Hmmmm can't wait to see EA/Ubisoft's pricing.

Would be great if their future plans are to offer a monthly one price all access membership like netflix, spotify, etc.
Haven't watched the conference yet so am guessing this was no talked about

model13

Call me when there is a subscription. Who in their right mind would pay $20 for a rental? You would be better off buying at launch and turning it around and selling it on Craigslist (unless you are afraid of being murdered).

baconcow

Never would rent games. Maybe this is why I am not big on PS+ benefits (aside from discounts). I like owning (or at least having access to physical copies of them, whenever possible) games I pay for. With PS Now and PS+, it seems like Sony has a set direction which is leaning more and more towards a digital experience.

Stupid question here.

But since certain Sony televisions will be able to play games, does that mean PS4 will be able to play titles that were exclusive to Vita through PSNow?

There are a few Vita titles I really want to play buy not enough to justify the purchase of a Vita.

Or at least on PS3, if there's any difference.

Top Bottom