• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

KAL2006

Banned
Here's another with Wii U style shoulder buttons and face buttons closer together. The original was exactly the way Vita has it, probably because at the smaller size they wanted them a bit further apart than appears visually correct.

2qrqlQG.jpg

I like this the best. Add gyro, 360 triggers and make the trackpad clickable on all 4 sides for 4 extra buttons (2 can be start and select) similar to the old iPod touch wheel.

Durante

However I have no faith Sony will rearrange the sticks, the current lay out is part of their DNA. I feel they will be too stubborn, they will think it will be seen as a defeat, while consumers will see it as common sense.
I'm a consumer, and I'd see it as a step back. Considering the prevalence of dual-stick control schemes, asymmetric placement makes no sense at all.

Also, convex is better than concave. It allows a smoother rolling of the thumb.

The only thing they need to change is the shape of the triggers. And ideally use the Vita d-pad.

Here's another with Wii U style shoulder buttons and face buttons closer together. The original was exactly the way Vita has it, probably because at the smaller size they wanted them a bit further apart than appears visually correct.

2qrqlQG.jpg

Sony likes their hard edges and silver finishes, please add some.

Shtof

That's just incredible. So they consciously chose convex over this. Who would think that is an improvement in anyway? So fucking stupid.

Lol, wtf? I hate concave sticks and so does millions of other people. Buy some third-party controller if you desperately need those shitty concave sticks, I think they're completely useless.

UrbanRats

I'm a consumer, and I'd see it as a step back. Considering the prevalence of dual-stick control schemes, asymmetric placement makes no sense at all.

The only thing they need to change is the shape of the triggers. And ideally use the Vita d-pad.

I'm really indifferent towards symmetry or asymmetry of thumbsticks, but convex sticks are pure evil.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really don't understand the fascination some people have with offset analogues. Why can your right hand be comfortable in that position but your left not be? My only issue with the DS3 sticks is that they're a bit close together and low on the controller. Slightly wider design, which is likely if it has a touchpad, and longer grips would completely alleviate that for me.

Durante

I really don't understand the fascination some people have with offset analogues. Why can your right hand be comfortable in that position but your left not be?
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense at all. The only honest argument I could see taking place is between the "both sticks up" and "both sticks down" placements, but I cannot imagine a justification for asymmetry (unless you have asymmetric hands).

Withnail

I really don't understand the fascination some people have with offset analogues. Why can your right hand be comfortable in that position but your left not be?

Yep. Most games use both sticks, my hands are symmetrical, therefore I want symmetrical sticks. Simple.

ascii42

I really don't understand the fascination some people have with offset analogues. Why can your right hand be comfortable in that position but your left not be? My only issue with the DS3 sticks is that they're a bit close together and low on the controller. Slightly wider design, which is likely if it has a touchpad, and longer grips would completely alleviate that for me.

It's never bothered me, but I know some people with larger hands will have their thumbs touch when using both analogues.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I second this.

It is really simple, they come from a background of playing the 360 primarily and/or playing PC games with a 360 controller. They rarely use the DS3, and when every once in a while they touch one, they think it feels weird, and want it to feel like a 360 controller. I used to have the same problem when all I had was the 360.

Me, I use both just about 50-50, or maybe 60-40. Symmetric is the one that makes the most sense. There is no reason to want an offset controller. In modern games, both sticks are used frequently, and in an FPS, both thumbs are practically permanently on the sticks.

Lemonte

Razer Sabertooth xbox 360 controller has 6 shoulder buttons and some weird triggers on the bottom of the controller.

sabretoothbuttons.jpg

don't know how comfy all those buttons are to use but looks interesting.

UrbanRats

Most modern games use as their main input left stick to move the character and facebuttons to perform basic actions.
The right stick is usually to adjust the camera, wich is secondary and the dpad to switch weapons or the like, which is also secondary.

Personally i think it depends on the game.

It's never bothered me, but I know some people with larger hands will have their thumbs touch when using both analogues.
This too.

Mindlog

What if the next dualshock has six triggers ? Imagine the Dualshock 2, with L1/L2 and R1/R2, but with two additionnal triggers (LT/RT ? ) on the back of the controller like the 360. Can someone do a mockup ? I'm certain it would work perfectly. I don't even think the controller would feel too "big" or anything.
Six triggers sounds a little crazy, but I'm definitely in favor of 2 L1 level buttons.
VNHLzAz.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense at all. The only honest argument I could see taking place is between the "both sticks up" and "both sticks down" placements, but I cannot imagine a justification for asymmetry (unless you have asymmetric hands).
The justification would be that the right thumb is more active on the buttons as opposed to the left on the D-Pad. I would vastly prefer both up.
Razer Sabertooth xbox 360 controller has 6 shoulder buttons and some weird triggers on the bottom of the controller.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2013/01/sabretoothbuttons.jpg

don't know how comfy all those buttons are to use but looks interesting.
Holy crap yes. Someone actually figured out that our fingers are flexible @_@ I'm going to try and get my hands on that.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm not liking this trend of console manufacturers competing to see who can make the largest controller.

Might want to read to OP the new DS will be no bigger which is a shame. It could be a tad bit bigger to get the analog sticks futher appart if they insist on using the current lay out.

Perkel

Banned
That's just incredible. So they consciously chose convex over this. Who would think that is an improvement in anyway? So fucking stupid.

You obviously didn't play on Vita D-pad. It's amazing.

2qrqlQG.jpg

I like this design. Amazing really.

FragFX controllers have 3, its quite difficult to use them effectively.
splitfish-fragfx-20070625042924021-000.jpg

I can see that with this design, but it's ugly. Make the R1 and R2 buttons closer to each other and having the same size. Make the third trigger perpendicular to the others ("vertical" instead of "horizontal") and "lower", as in not on the same level as the others. I can see it in my mind; it's totally doable. I just wish I could illustrate what I'm thinking.

ps4-mockup.png

Similar to others. More traditional Dual Shock lines.
3574718_o.gif

Oooooh...nice job with this one. I can totally see it looking identical to this. I have a feeling they won’t mess around much with the look.

If they won’t change the overall shape of the controller, they need to at least switch the left analogue stick with the d-pad. Please Sony!
daniel-bryan-NO.gif

You know what's fucked up? Sony had everything sorted the first time;

300px-PS1DualAnalogController.jpg

Concave sticks and flat L/R2 with nice long grip prongs. I am not a believer in analogue triggers, you just do not need them outside of driving games. I have one of these, it's only downfall in no Force Feedback.
Jesus them handles

Sowee

Banned
If anyone here thought that the WiiU gamepad was a gimmick, and is now excited with this touchpad, well, i have some bad news. I can't seem to understand how useful will this be on a controller.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes, keep the sticks where they are. Much more comfortable having them right next to each other for me. It just feels more natural.

Nizz

Couldn't agree more. While the 360 controller is fine I noticed I did feel some slight strain in my left thumb due to the stick position on their controller. I've never felt that strain using the Dualshock layout.

CREMSteve

If anyone here thought that the WiiU gamepad was a gimmick, and is now excited with this touchpad, well, i have some bad news. I can't seem to understand how useful will this be on a controller.

Will be great for navigating websites on the browser, I despise using the sticks as a mouse.

100% agree.

velociraptor

I never did understand the obsession of concave sticks.

When I use the 360 controller, my thumb is never placed in the middle. I always edge the sticks using my thumbs. This is why I prefer the PS3 design.

Also, it makes shooting with FPS/TPS games more precise.

Also, an asymmterical design is retarded as hell. By having the sticks in the middle, it's a more natural position for my thumbs to rest. There is nothing 'comfortable' by having your left hand on the top of the control pad. It's also worse for fighting games.

2qrqlQG.jpg
I don't like the analogs.

They look like the Vita ones.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I never did understand the obsession of concave sticks.

When I use the 360 controller, my thumb is never placed in the middle. I always edge the sticks using my thumbs. This is why I prefer the PS3 design.

One of the things I dislike about the 360 controller. Makes pushing forward uncomfortable. Maybe it will be less of an issue if the surface itself was a bit softer.

velociraptor

The one thing I hope from the PS4 controller is that it's made from high quality plastic. 360 controller is well built, and plastic feels good.

Salacious Crumb

You can prefer a symmetrical design, convex sticks, having the sticks low on the controller, having all digital shoulder buttons, all those things are valid preferences. But will anyone argue that the overall shape is more ergonomically sound than just about any first party controller design since 1997, especially those from this generation? I seriously doubt that stripped of any concision or unconscious loyalty any one would find the shape of the DS3 more comfortable than the controllers from the other two console manufacturers.

kitsuneyo

I don't buy this share button stuff. It seems like a weird use of controller real estate, and high other costs, for something most people won't be that interested in. I couldn't care less about sharing clips.

You can prefer a symmetrical design, convex sticks, having the sticks low on the controller, having all digital shoulder buttons, all those things are valid preferences. But will anyone argue that the overall shape is more ergonomically sound than just about any first party controller design since 1997, especially those from this generation? I seriously doubt that stripped of any concision or unconscious loyalty any one would find the shape of the DS3 more comfortable than the controllers from the other two console manufacturers.

So you acknowledge people can find comfort in different things, then essentially call people who find the entire controller more comfortable bias?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why do all the mockups have the touchpad above the sticks? Is it possible to be below the sticks, like the 360 chat pad? Seems like if your primary position is with your thumbs resting on the sticks, rotating them outwards gets to the dpad/buttons, and rotating them inwards would bring them down below the start/select buttons.

Why do all the mockups have the touchpad above the sticks? Is it possible to be below the sticks, like the 360 chat pad? Seems like if your primary position is with your thumbs resting on the sticks, rotating them outwards gets to the dpad/buttons, and rotating them inwards would bring them down below the start/select buttons.

Because the article says they are there, unless we're interpreting it wrong.

I don't buy this share button stuff. It seems like a weird use of controller real estate, and high other costs, for something most people won't be that interested in. I couldn't care less about sharing clips.

I'm guessing its more like the PS button but with more functions. "Share" is just a label. Gotta look social.

Top Bottom