• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Turns out Jodie Whittaker filmed the level crossing scenes from Adult Life Skills pretty much in my hometown, which I find weirdly exciting? I don't think we've ever had Tennant, Smith or Capaldi around our neck of the woods, the snooty bastards.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out Jodie Whittaker filmed the level crossing scenes from Adult Life Skills pretty much in my hometown, which I find weirdly exciting? I don't think we've ever had Tennant, Smith or Capaldi around our neck of the woods, the snooty bastards.

I went to the same drama school as Matthew Horne. True story.

EDIT: also Gridlock sucks and you should all feel bad.

Vibranium

Banned
So what style do you think they will go with for 13?

Hopefully something as good as Capaldi's Velvet Jacket

They could so something with trousers, or maybe go for a cool dress?

I hope that hairstyle stays though, love it

Trousers for sure, probably some cool-looking boots too. I think it would be neat if they gave her a necktie or something, Tom Baker and Paul McGann rocked them for certain stories. I'm expecting a few outfit variants, especially considering how many Capaldi has had.

Quick

Banned
*Smashes through a window*

SO I HEARD YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT DOCTOR WHO'S BEST EVER EPISODE

*Smashes through concrete*

DO YOU MEAN LOVE AND MONSTERS?

Posted my thoughts in the thread. Very happy and excited.

Just wanted to elaborate further than just a "hell yes" post.

Very happy to see the Doctor played by a woman. It's about time, regardless of objections. If not now, it would've been just matter of time imo.

I was reading up on a Tweet chain debating on this casting announcement. Particularly that the Doctor has always been played by a male actor, and should be similar in that respect to James Bond only being exclusively male.

This lead me to thinking over the role of the Doctor through the years. While he has been male for over 50 years, his gender was almost never a requirement for each story (or at least since the RTD era). I say almost never because there were a few stories that involved him as a straight romantic lead. Not to say those stories are exclusive to male actors.

I'm excited to see how Chibnall and crew write her. What's Whittaker's Doctor going to be like? Does she take up certain characteristics of past Doctors? Which ones, if so? Matt Smith played a great Doctor - a young appearance with an old soul. I'm hoping she's able to channel that aspect of Smith's Doctor.

Now I gotta finish up Series 10 lol.

iFirez

As this thread moves a little slower I wanted to post this here too:

While I don't think it means anything, the TARDIS in the reveal ISN'T the current one used as the exterior of it in the show. It's the darker blue one without the circle saint johns emblem on the door and the dark window frames not the newer white ones... so its much more like 9-10's design than 11-12's.

forimagesize said:
eQWS649.jpg

Now its quite clear that the TARDIS in the reveal today is just comped in and isn't actually there - but why use the design from pre-2010 and not the newer one we've had for the more recent years.

foltzie1

While I don't think it means anything, the TARDIS in the reveal ISN'T the current one used as the exterior of it in the show. It's the darker blue one without the circle saint johns emblem on the door and the dark window frames not the newer white ones... so its much more like 9-10's design than 11-12's.

Now its quite clear that the TARDIS in the reveal today is just comped in and isn't actually there - but why use the design from pre-2010 and not the newer one we've had for the more recent years.

It's either intentional or a mistake. I assume mistake caused by a small number of folks working on the shoot. The guy doing the final composition grabbed an older image and there wasn't a lot of checking or review to minimize leaks.

tomtom94

Here's a stupid factoid I stumbled across while falling down a rabbit hole:

You know "Doctor in Distress", the charity single that did more damage to Doctor Who's reputation than Whittaker ever will?

Hans Zimmer played synth,

No, fucking seriously.

It's probably one of two things. Either:

The Moffat-era TARDIS is decidedly more distinct than many others, with its bright blue and St Johns Ambulance sticker. They're no doubt going to change the exterior again so they probably wanted something more 'generic'.

Or the person they got to do the CG was purposefully an outside resource/intern/someone generally unfamiliar with the programme. Like, seriously, Google TARDIS. For me, the one they used is the fourth image to come up and also the first to be set against a white background therefore no doubt making it easier to photoshop.

Mr-Joker

Banned
While it's cool and obvious that the next doctor is female and I hope that this open the door for other British minority actors to eventually take on the iconic role.

Also I will hope that they only spend a maximum of 5 minute of the Doctor making a big deal that he's a female in the first episode, it does no good if they end up bringing it up all the time.

I mean it was bad enough that they had to bring up the fact that Bill was gay in multiple episode as it was her only character trait to define her by, it just weaken the character in my eye as if you take away that identity then there is nothing remarkable about them and thus they become one note.

Luckily Bill did have other traits that was likable so her being gay didn't end up her only identity.

iFirez

I agree. I expect a reaction from the Doctor for being female now, in the same way he'd react if he was ginger. I do however hope beyond all hope they don't even pay attention to it, it'd be so cool if the Dcotor's reaction was something to do with teeth or hair and not the female form.

The Doctor has never really been about gender to me, it's rare it even plays into a story, I mean it's clear some of his companions have been enamoured by him but that's about it. 13 is the Doctor just like the first was but I do believe the regenerations have been more about change and for a reason lately. I imagine a huge story thread will have something to do with this regeneration that previous ones could not have done.

I'm watching Broadchurch right now and I can't quite figure out what kind of Doctor she will be. She's just a Mum right now but she clearly has range and can do accents so I wonder what her Doctor will be like.

Ceej

So series 11 OT will be

Doctor Who Series 11 |OT| She's Back, and It's About Time

right? :p

In all seriousness, I am so excited for this! I like that it's not a "handsome young male" but not a super young, super hot female. She looks like a legit time lord and given that Capaldi is my Doctor and I am so sad he's leaving already I legitimately was not expecting to like whoever came next, especially given my hesitation for Chibnall running the show. The fact that he nailed the first, major decision has already lifted my expectation and made me more optimistic for the future of Who.

Platy

She looks like a legit time lord and given that Capaldi is my Doctor and I am so sad he's leaving already I legitimately was not expecting to like whoever came next, especially given my hesitation for Chibnall running the show.

Yeah ... no man can replace Capaldi ;D

Ambient80

Just finished season 10. Wow what a finish! Average to good season overall but some excellent episodes. Can’t wait for Christmas now!

Completed season 3 rewatch with my kids (their first time).

Wow, that end of season is amazing.

Human Nature/Family of Blood/Blink/Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords is a hell of a run.

I find myself much more forgiving to these the second go-round, and I even like the resolution of Last of the Time Lords this time.

Blink is of course fantastic, and my son immediately wanted to rewatch it (and so we did).

But I think this also cemented Human Nature/Family of Blood as my favorite Who story. Great plot and all of the feels, every one.

Also, Martha used to be my favorite companion, but I was wondering if I still felt that way after Bill (and Donna always being close). Rewatching, I absolutely lover her still.

Kneefoil

My only wish for the regeneration scene is that all of the make up won't have instantaneously appeared out of nowhere during the regeneration. It's a small thing, but it's not like women naturally have lipstick and eye liner on their faces. But then again, what do I know about Time Lords? Maybe they do.

I wonder if the companion will be a man this time, or if we'll be following a female duo. The Doctor has had male companions as a man, but they have been a lot less common than female companions.

tomtom94

My only wish for the regeneration scene is that all of the make up won't have instantaneously appeared out of nowhere during the regeneration. It's a small thing, but it's not like women naturally have lipstick and eye liner on their faces. But then again, what do I know about Time Lords? Maybe they do.

I wonder if the companion will be a man this time, or if we'll be following a female duo. The Doctor has had male companions as a man, but they have been a lot less common than female companions.

Every time I picture it in my head at the moment I think it's a male companion. (Specifically for me it's an Asian inner-city kid, but I'm expecting them to chicken out on that score).

Which still gives them lots of options on how to do it.

Vibranium

Banned
Every time I picture it in my head at the moment I think it's a male companion. (Specifically for me it's an Asian inner-city kid, but I'm expecting them to chicken out on that score).

Which still gives them lots of options on how to do it.

Kind of wondering when we'll get asian/arab/latino companions. The only television asian TARDIS member was Chang Lee in the TV movie, and he wasn't very good or well-acted (though to fair, only Paul McGann was able to rise above the material given). So some redemption is in order.

Speaking of Family of Blood, it's one of my favorite episode title names ever. Totally badass and ominous-sounding.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Capaldi is my Doctor and I am so sad he's leaving already

Why do people keep saying "Already" as if Capaldi hasnt been the doctor just as many seasons as David Tennant (not counting his specials) and Matt Smith? He's had 3 full seasons, what more did you want?

Platy

Why do people keep saying "Already" as if Capaldi hasnt been the doctor just as many seasons as David Tennant (not counting his specials) and Matt Smith? He's had 3 full seasons, what more did you want?

He being the companion to Jodie Whitaker ? xD

Blader

Somewhat off topic, but after the Christmas special I'm going to finally dive into a handful of classic Who episodes, and wondering if some of the animated one are worth watching? I'm thinking Tenth Planet (since it seems like Capaldi's last ep will be going into that) and Power of the Daleks especially. Really curious about watching how the first regeneration/post-regeneration play out, and I've heard a lot of good things about Troughton's first story, but would you need to be familiar with seeing Troughton in person first (from later serials) before watching an animated version?

tuffy

Somewhat off topic, but after the Christmas special I'm going to finally dive into a handful of classic Who episodes, and wondering if some of the animated one are worth watching? I'm thinking Tenth Planet (since it seems like Capaldi's last ep will be going into that) and Power of the Daleks especially. Really curious about watching how the first regeneration/post-regeneration play out, and I've heard a lot of good things about Troughton's first story, but would you need to be familiar with seeing Troughton in person first (from later serials) before watching an animated version?
I thought the animated "Power of the Daleks" did the job well enough. All the human characters are a bit stiff (stiffer than they were in the animated "Moonbase" episodes, for instance), but the CGI Daleks are really well done. You'll just need to keep your expectations about pacing and budgets in check if you're not used to '60s Doctor Who because "Power" does take awhile to ramp up the tension.

I haven't seen Power recon yet (I had the audio version years ago), but it's one of the better Dalek stories of the era. It doesn't really dwell on the regeneration stuff too much from memory rather it takes a while for the Doctor's companions to accept him as The Doctor.

Power is probably the only on where they don't have the Doctor feeling disoriented for a big chunk of the story. After that, we usually saw anywhere between 1 and 4 episodes of a Doctor's personality, memories and mental acuity flailing all over the shop. Always fun watching them find their personality and costume. Though you might be annoyed at how Troughton's Doctor gets his costume.

Blader

I thought the animated "Power of the Daleks" did the job well enough. All the human characters are a bit stiff (stiffer than they were in the animated "Moonbase" episodes, for instance), but the CGI Daleks are really well done. You'll just need to keep your expectations about pacing and budgets in check if you're not used to '60s Doctor Who because "Power" does take awhile to ramp up the tension.

I haven't seen Power recon yet (I had the audio version years ago), but it's one of the better Dalek stories of the era. It doesn't really dwell on the regeneration stuff too much from memory rather it takes a while for the Doctor's companions to accept him as The Doctor.

Power is probably the only on where they don't have the Doctor feeling disoriented for a big chunk of the story. After that, we usually saw anywhere between 1 and 4 episodes of a Doctor's personality, memories and mental acuity flailing all over the shop. Always fun watching them find their personality and costume. Though you might be annoyed at how Troughton's Doctor gets his costume.

Thanks! Would you say it's fair to start off with Troughton watching the animated Power then? Or should I watch some of his later stuff just to get a feel of the real actor first, and circle back to the animated stuff down the line?

Random:

It was only in the last few days I realized the new showrunner's name wasn't Chinball.

Gonna have to retrain myself not to say that.

It was such a nicely evocative name, too.

Thanks! Would you say it's fair to start off with Troughton watching the animated Power then? Or should I watch some of his later stuff just to get a feel of the real actor first, and circle back to the animated stuff down the line?

Nah, but be aware, his portrayal changes pretty drastically after the first episodes. The next surviving (well half animated/ half original eps) story is his fourth story, The Moonbase, and that's far more indicative of the troughton style.

He has a silly giant hat, really baggy pants and plays the recorder all the time in his first few stories. That gets toned right down. If you want to see him at his best, its generally the season 5 stories where he comes off best Tomb of the Cybermen, Ice Warriors, Enemu of the World, Web of Fear.

It's a 1960s TV show made more or less as live in a multicamera studio. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about the cheesy FX and production values. And maybe don't try to watch it all in one hit if you're worried about the slower pacing.

Blader

Nah, but be aware, his portrayal changes pretty drastically after the first episodes. The next surviving (well half animated/ half original eps) story is his fourth story, The Moonbase, and that's far more indicative of the troughton style.

He has a silly giant hat, really baggy pants and plays the recorder all the time in his first few stories. That gets toned right down. If you want to see him at his best, its generally the season 5 stories where he comes off best Tomb of the Cybermen, Ice Warriors, Enemu of the World, Web of Fear.

It's a 1960s TV show made more or less as live in a multicamera studio. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about the cheesy FX and production values. And maybe don't try to watch it all in one hit if you're worried about the slower pacing.

heh, well my plan was to stretch it out through most of next year (at least until S11 starts anyway), maybe do between 3-5 serials per Doctor, with a different Doctor every month or two, so that shouldn't be an issue!

And yeah, Tomb of the Cybermen, Web of Fear (though I'm generally trying to avoid the telesnap reconstructions, but this sounds like it was a fairly important one), Enemy of the World, and The War Games are on my list for Troughton so far.

tuffy

heh, well my plan was to stretch it out through most of next year (at least until S11 starts anyway), maybe do between 3-5 serials per Doctor, with a different Doctor every month or two, so that shouldn't be an issue!

And yeah, Tomb of the Cybermen, Web of Fear (though I'm generally trying to avoid the telesnap reconstructions, but this sounds like it was a fairly important one), Enemy of the World, and The War Games are on my list for Troughton so far.
At least "Web" only has one telesnap reconstructed episode these days.

And if you're going through Troughton, I'd also throw in "The Invasion" as another fairly important one because it was the prototype for the early Pertwee years. Plus Vaughn is a great villain.

Blader

At least "Web" only has one telesnap reconstructed episode these days.

And if you're going through Troughton, I'd also throw in "The Invasion" as another fairly important one because it was the prototype for the early Pertwee years. Plus Vaughn is a great villain.

yeah, The Invasion is another one I saw recommended a lot.

What I found odd is that apparently it was Moffatt who pushed for her to survive the episode and yet she's only reappearing now that he's out the door. Frankly, I didn't like the episode, the character, or the actor, so... Eh.

I think this is a bit overstated. I believe he just mentioned to RTD that he thought kids would be upset that she died, so RTD had her survive.

M.Bluth

Random:

It was only in the last few days I realized the new showrunner's name wasn't Chinball.

Gonna have to retrain myself not to say that.

It was such a nicely evocative name, too.
You KNOW that's what fans will start calling him when they don't like a season...

Fires of Pompeii is becoming the most rewatchable episode of NuWho

tumblr_nq5napUbzs1tsfx8ro4_400.gif

tumblr_nq5napUbzs1tsfx8ro5_400.gif
Haha! That's nice!

I think this is a bit overstated. I believe he just mentioned to RTD that he thought kids would be upset that she died, so RTD had her survive.

I thought he did have an idea for her return, possibly for his Tennant S5 plan, but then scrapped it when Tennant decided he's not coming back...?
Someone page APZonerunner!

Blader

You KNOW that's what fans will start calling him when they don't like a season...

Haha! That's nice!

I thought he did have an idea for her return, possibly for his Tennant S5 plan, but then scrapped it when Tennant decided he's not coming back...?

I don't think we know anything about Moffat's plan for a Tennant S5 other than starting the series with the Doctor on the brink of regenerating when he meets Amelia, which you don't really find out until you revisit that scene in the finale.

As per RTD's memoirs of that year of writing, series 4 was the first year when Moffat started reading all the scripts for every episode - previously he'd ask RTD not to spoil anything not essential, but he needed to make sure there was no overlap with S5 plans. The Doctor's Daughter was the only script where he asked for a change (other than when RTD was wobbling on if he should full-on have Daleks in The End of Time, where Moffat requested he hold off so they were fresher for S5), and that change was just that she should live.

We don't know any more, but it was quite a late change for the script. I don't think Moffat had any specific plans, I just think he liked the idea of her being out there. Moffat is philosophically big on leaving 'gaps' in his work for the fanbase or extended universe to fill in, though, where RTD made his series quite joined up - think about how many natural gaps there are in the Tenth Doctor's life versus the Eleventh's. I think it was merely a difference in thinking.

The only real detail we have about the Tennant version of series 5 is that detail about the 'raggedy Doctor' being the mortally wounded and about-to-regenerate version, but Moffat has also outright said the rest would've been "pretty much the same," and that makes sense... most Doctor Who is pretty interchangeable, after all. Some of S5 would've probably been a bit tonally different, like how the Doctor is a bit shouty/rude and snappy with River and Amy, but this is an aspect of Smith's Doctor they drastically toned down between their first scripts filmed (The Angels two-parter) and the last. His character is really quite different (and much less like Tennant) early on.

I am only 4 episodes into Season 10 of Doctor Who, but this season is really great so far. I thought I preferred the 2-episode arcs, but they weren't utilizing them very well in season 9. Glad to see we're back to 1-episode stories. Also, I thought I would not like Bill, but she has been good so far. As a character, not super interesting...but I like the teacher/student relationship she has with the Doctor.

I'm going to be super pissed if it's just The Master waiting on the other side of the vault, which I'm like...99% it will be. Please god, be more creative than that. But I doubt it.

And on a final note, I am going to miss Capaldi. He is just so great as the Doctor that I genuinely don't know if I could ever get tired of him.

Top Bottom