• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

Dinjoralo

Thanks for posting these! It was an honor to help SEGA make these tutorials.

If you guys don't know anything about Puyo Puyo, then watch the Harassment video at least. I show how it's important to read your opponent's chain, predict what they'll do, and punish weak chaining builds. You'll appreciate how high level Puyo Puyo is played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVORkRFZt3I

Huh, you helped with that? Explains why all of Sega's tutorials use almost identical terminology as the ones on Puyo Nexus. Speaking of, looking at the in-game tutorials for Tetris helped be realize how you do T-spin triples... I'm sorry, how does the rotation system let that happen?

Looking at more of the characters, I think the dub's a little better than I initially thought. Almost every character is a step down from their original voices, but a couple of them are passable. I'm gonna assume the JP voices aren't available because Sega Japan is being stubborn.

Shoyz

Personally probably fine, but a lot of people on here are quite Hyperbolic about the quality of the voicework in the English version, when their real issue is they just got used the the Japanese version.
Definitely not. Sigs voice is so cringeworthy it makes playing with him unenjoyable, compared to the mostly passable rest of the cast. Being my second favorite character, it's a huge deal breaker for me.

XaosWolf

Speaking of, looking at the in-game tutorials for Tetris helped be realize how you do T-spin triples... I'm sorry, how does the rotation system let that happen?

Its a quirk of the Super Rotation System that turned into the acknowledged T-Spin moves.

It is all dependent on what point the tetriminos rotate around and how those rotations kick off of the other blocks on the field.

T-spins are pretty neat.

Definitely not. Sigs voice is so cringeworthy it makes playing with him unenjoyable, compared to the mostly passable rest of the cast. Being my second favorite character, it's a huge deal breaker for me.

Your choice of the word "cringeworthy" doesn't assist in dissuading my opinion.

S2

Huh, you helped with that? Explains why all of Sega's tutorials use almost identical terminology as the ones on Puyo Nexus. Speaking of, looking at the in-game tutorials for Tetris helped be realize how you do T-spin triples... I'm sorry, how does the rotation system let that happen?
I honestly have no idea how to explain them on a technical level... Tetris twists physically look like they make no sense anyways lol

The quickest way to learn is to watch the most common twist builds and memorize them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRBmqTrJDUA

Big Bang mode also gives you practice with twists. Here's a video I made showing how to solve the twist puzzles in Big Bang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDPD8gLg8fw

bumpkin

It's nice to be able to give this a whirl before the game comes out. Other than a little bit of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I've never played any of the Puyo-Puyo games. I've played Tetris a shit-ton over the years though. The mix is fun and refreshing!

I've got the game preordered physically from Best Buy, but a part of me is debating going digital with it instead. Has there been any word on how large of a download/install the full game is yet?

gnomed

There's a JPN demo and I am finding about this now. I'll just wait for the release and have a game to look forward to playing once BOI or Zelda bores me.

It's nice to be able to give this a whirl before the game comes out. Other than a little bit of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I've never played any of the Puyo-Puyo games. I've played Tetris a shit-ton over the years though. The mix is fun and refreshing!

I've got the game preordered physically from Best Buy, but a part of me is debating going digital with it instead. Has there been any word on how large of a download/install the full game is yet?

It's about 1.4GB

Dinjoralo

I honestly have no idea how to explain them on a technical level... Tetris twists physically look like they make no sense anyways lol

The quickest way to learn is to watch the most common twist builds and memorize them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRBmqTrJDUA

Big Bang mode also gives you practice with twists. Here's a video I made showing how to solve the twist puzzles in Big Bang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDPD8gLg8fw
Myeh... I prefer playing by ear. It's why I can't get a good grasp on Puyo. :p And also focusing too hard at my own playfield to look at my opponents...

RedToad64

Is there Tetris attack in this as well? If not, any Switch games with Tetris attack coming out?
You mean Puzzle League? Nintendo just put out a Puzzle League mini-game in Animal Crossing: New Leaf last year.
CI7_3DS_AnimalCrossingNewLeaf_PuzzleLeague.jpg

As for the Switch, no Puzzle League goodness for now. If Virtual Console hits the service then Pokémon Puzzle League could be possible.

Felensis

Banned
Game is already preordered even though I never played a Puyo Puyo, but I'm a Tetris addict. Thanks to some vouchers I get it for 11,59€ from a local online store :D

Ellite25

Just played a few games and it's pretty fun. Enjoyed the mode that switches between Puyo and Tetris.

Can anyone clarify how blocks (or whatever) drop on other people's play areas and how you get rid of them?

I love Klug's "severe damage" sound. He sounds like a bat getting hit with.. well, a bat.

Just played a few games and it's pretty fun. Enjoyed the mode that switches between Puyo and Tetris.

Can anyone clarify how blocks (or whatever) drop on other people's play areas and how you get rid of them?

If your opponent is playing Puyo Puyo, Garbage blocks fall from above onto their field. The amount of garbage dropped depends on your combo/lines cleared. They are cleared when a match is created near them.

If they're playing Tetris, lines of garbage appear from beneath their field. The number of lines created depends on your combo/lines cleared. These lines have gaps that allow them to be cleared just like any other line.

Oh for the love of god give us the option to use Japanese voices. Please at the very least patch it in later via DLC. I can't even make out what some of the English phrases are. Fake English anime voices are FROM HELL.

That aside, this game will be fantastic.

You mean Puzzle League? Nintendo just put out a Puzzle League mini-game in Animal Crossing: New Leaf last year.
CI7_3DS_AnimalCrossingNewLeaf_PuzzleLeague.jpg

As for the Switch, no Puzzle League goodness for now. If Virtual Console hits the service then Pokémon Puzzle League could be possible.
Holy shit, that's cool. Is it actually straight-up Puzzle League? How comprehensive is it?

I still play Pokemon Puzzle League/Challenge to this day. No other puzzle games compare for me. God, I need a new one so bad.

Character selection in both modes is window dressing and doesn't affect your attacks, right?

For the demo, no. Character choice does matter for two modes not in the demo; if you look at the digital manual for the demo it tells you about some/all of them.

Character choice also affects the CPU AI but I don't think the differences are particularly pronounced in PPT as they are in other games.

There's something in the manual from the main menu. Not sure if it applies to those modes in the demo though.

For the demo, no. Character choice does matter for two modes not in the demo; if you look at the digital manual for the demo it tells you about some/all of them.
I don't have a Switch yet but was gonna pick up this game with it (amongst others) so if I can play a regular game of Tetris (and Puyo) without other stuff to worry about that will do me nicely. Thanks guys.

Skeletos311

I didn't even know you could change the stage, music, and style of Puyo and Tetrominos. I've been setting all of them to random just to check them out.

Rated-G

Man I've been playing the Japanese version of this for almost three years now, and I found the English voices perfectly fine, and I'm looking forward to playing story again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought the Japanese version but haven't played at all because Zelda has been on all day, every day (me and my 2 kids playing). I can manage with the menus but hopefully I lose be able to download the English version for the tutorials on puyo puyo

MrPanic

You know, this game seems fun from the demo, but the €39.99 it is on the eshop seems way too expensive for a game like this.

E-phonk

Banned
You know, this game seems fun from the demo, but the €39.99 it is on the eshop seems way too expensive for a game like this.

Make a US Nintendo account and it's $30.
Still a tad too much for what I'd like but I'll jump in at that point because I want some local multiplayer games to play on the go.

Top Bottom