• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

I've never heard of them but not really into dm in the last couple decades.
They've had quite a notable career. They were teenagers when their first album was released in 2000, and a few years back were involved in a bad car (tour bus?) crash which killed some of their members. Haven't listened to them in years but their first 2 albums were really good, especially considering their age.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They don't but calling them "garbage human beings" when nothing has been proven strikes me as a bit harsh at this moment in time but what do I know.

Yeah, it's a little soon to immediately declare them as such, however, they do look guilty as fuck so I can't really fault people for reacting that way. I'll happily revise my opinion if I'm found to be wrong somewhere down the line.

bebop242

I'm holding judgement on them but I cannot listen to them now and maybe never again regardless of the outcome of this situation.

I was supposed to see them tomorrow and still have not heard about any refunds. Isn't it realistic to expect a refund when the headliner doesn't do the show?

DemWalls

I'm holding judgement on them but I cannot listen to them now and maybe never again regardless of the outcome of this situation.

Well, you can listen to the albums up to Organic Hallucinosis, since they basically were a different band.

And those are by far their best works anyway.

Cindro

Of course. Share what you think whenever you can.
Haha man, I shouldn't have drunkenly offered to provide my thoughts - primarily because I haven't had the opportunity to give the album the proper chance it deserves!

I mistakenly thought importing music from iTunes to Spotify would sync it via the cloud and allow me to access it on my Spotify account no matter the machine I was on. WRONG! Because of this, I've only listened to it through my mediocre laptop speakers instead of the nice headphones I keep at work.

I will say though that I've listened to it all the way through three times in the span of 24 hours (it was on in the background while I was multitasking), and I haven't had much desire to go back to it sense. There are some neat and catchy tracks on their for sure, but my early impressions were that too many of the tracks dragged as they attempted to go for the slower, more haunting route but didn't quite succeed in the execution.

But again, I'm hesitant to even post this - prog metal really deserves a proper listening experience, and I've certainly not put the album on and given it my full attention. So in that sense, I'm definitely not qualified to give any sort of a definitive statement. On the other hand, the fact that I'm not interested enough to go back anytime soon says a lot.

Basically, it would have been the perfect Spotify release instead of the dubious $10 purchase it ended up being :p

Chelsea Wolfe's new album is nice. Listen to it!
http://www.npr.org/2017/09/14/550443281/first-listen-chelsea-wolfe-hiss-spun

Hiss_Spun-CW.jpg

Personal favs would be 16 Psyche, Static Hum, Offering, Scrape.

New Wintersun sucks big time for me personally, not enjoying it all and I tried.

Thankfully, the new Ensiferum single sounds ace (I didn't like their last couple of albums), so maybe that album, Two Paths, will fill the gap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqAPsRp0cU.

Also, tonight it Ayreon Universe!!! Beyond stoked to see the show.

I'll have to give the new Ensiferum track another listen, it hit me as more of the same by the numbers product that they've been churning out since Jari left. Not that there haven't been some high points on each album, there's still something there, but overall not even close to what Wintersun has done. The new Wintersun actually blew me away. I'm not even much of a fan of either band anymore but the new album hit me pretty hard, and I thought Time was pretty lame.

Gray Matter

New contortionist record is legit. I still miss their exoplanet sound, but this is good too. No harsh vocals, which was a disappointment, but not a deal breaker.

New Wintersun sucks big time for me personally, not enjoying it all and I tried.

Thankfully, the new Ensiferum single sounds ace (I didn't like their last couple of albums), so maybe that album, Two Paths, will fill the gap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqAPsRp0cU.

Also, tonight it Ayreon Universe!!! Beyond stoked to see the show.

I'm also going to see Ayreon Universe tonight, and I am beyond excited! It has been ages since I saw the Star One show in 013 and that was awesome. This is going to be a special one for sure. Enjoy! I know I will!!

SOME-MIST

hell to the yes

it's chris "arpmandude" arp's birthday today and as he promised he posted an unreleased song from psyopus - odd senses.
psyopus - the world is flat

admittedly odd senses isn't one of the mathcore GOATs like our puzzling encounters considered and ideas of reference, but I still love being able to hear more psyopus. as a heads up if you do listen... the ending is very weird.

Scottify

Really liking the new Belphegor record. Great production and great songs, seems a bit more diverse than some of their past records to me. Definitely worth a listen.

She still hasn't made a single track that tops Feral Love for me but this is her best album yet.

Hate that cover though. Makes me think of Clifford the dog but with even bigger ears.

Personally I like the cover...looks like a strange beast, cornered and ready to attack. Kinda freaky in a way. I also like all the other photos of that shoot that are floating around the net in articles and such.

I'm not sure if she has a single track I enjoy the most. To me she's an album artist and I agree, this may be her best yet. That's always easy to say but here I find myself repeating single songs.

Tankard

She still hasn't made a single track that tops Feral Love for me but this is her best album yet.

Hate that cover though. Makes me think of Clifford the dog but with even bigger ears.

Really? I thought her last album was fantastic and her best, extremely dark and this new one promises to be even darker (still haven't listened).

Turin

Banned
^ Click on the link above, dude!

Personally I like the cover...looks like a strange beast, cornered and ready to attack. Kinda freaky in a way. I also like all the other photos of that shoot that are floating around the net in articles and such.

I'm not sure if she has a single track I enjoy the most. To me she's an album artist and I agree, this may be her best yet. That's always easy to say but here I find myself repeating single songs.

It does look better up close. From afar is makes me think of a cornered puppy that's waiting for the chance to bite you....... which I think was kind of the intent but with the image of a more intimidating animal. I mean, I like what she was going for. lol

I've actually been listening to Hiss Spun from front to back repeatedly and I'm normally the type to cherry pick from albums.

Danzig playing How The Gods Kill in full today

Tommy Victor's playing will be awkward and Glenn's destroyed voice will not be able to handle Bodies and Heart Of The Devil but I am going to enjoy every goddamn minute of it

bebop242

Danzig playing How The Gods Kill in full today

Tommy Victor's playing will be awkward and Glenn's destroyed voice will not be able to handle Bodies and Heart Of The Devil but I am going to enjoy every goddamn minute of it

Riotfest? Was thinking of going to it, mainly for Nin but decided against it. Didnt realize Danzig was performing that album. Would be cool to see.

Riotfest? Was thinking of going to it, mainly for Nin but decided against it. Didnt realize Danzig was performing that album. Would be cool to see.
Yep. Was a good time

He didn't play Sistinas "I wanted an orchestra and they wouldn't pay for it so I'm not gonna play it" (aka, I can't sing it and this would sound awful)

They started strong opening with the first 2 tracks from the album which was nice, though I got a bit peeved when they started tampering with the order. Bodies got plucked out and played last in the string of How The Gods Kill which I thought was a dumb choice. Idk if it's just hardest for him to sing or what

The stuff I thought he'd struggle with actually sounded the best, he nailed all of the loud roaring stuff, but his lower register is completely shot for the soft sections (which is why Sistinas would've been horrible)

On a semi-related note, if you ever get the opportunity to see Bad Brains in current times: don't.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Wolves in the Throne Room and Ufomammut (and The Bronx and Godspeed) this week, Celeste next. Good times.

Yep. Was a good time

He didn't play Sistinas "I wanted an orchestra and they wouldn't pay for it so I'm not gonna play it" (aka, I can't sing it and this would sound awful)

They started strong opening with the first 2 tracks from the album which was nice, though I got a bit peeved when they started tampering with the order. Bodies got plucked out and played last in the string of How The Gods Kill which I thought was a dumb choice. Idk if it's just hardest for him to sing or what

The stuff I thought he'd struggle with actually sounded the best, he nailed all of the loud roaring stuff, but his lower register is completely shot for the soft sections (which is why Sistinas would've been horrible)

On a semi-related note, if you ever get the opportunity to see Bad Brains in current times: don't.

Glenn is much better live than you'd expect. I saw him in Cleveland and they played a bunch of III since they were "warming up" for Riotfest. Same thing there. He absolutely nailed all the wailing, balls to the wall stuff. Lower end he struggled with, but was okay and even approached good on a couple of songs. His band was excellent, though. Sure, it's not the classic line-up, but they're tight and intense and do a good job on the old stuff. It's a bummer they didn't play III straight through at Riotfest.

New Machine Head album and tour incoming. Album coming out in January.

From Facebook post:

MACHINE HEAD ANNOUNCE WORLD TOUR FOR UPCOMING ALBUM, CATHARSIS

It's been far too long since we've demolished venues in America, we have had an awesome and productive break writing our new album "Catharsis", but now it's time for Machine Head to go melt some faces!! The reaction to our last "Evening With" tours in America were nothing short of incredible, so once again these dates will be "Evening With" and will see us performing 2 1/2 to 3 hours every night with no opening bands.
We LOVED performing as an ”Evening With" for you Head Cases, and you guys loved it as well, the freedom to do whatever the fuck we wanted for as long as we wanted every night was liberating. It's not what everyone else is doing, and frankly, there are not a lot of bands who could even pull it off, but Machine Head CAN pull it off, and we are excited as fuck to do it again. We are carving our own path here, playing by our own rules, and as an artist, it's the best feeling in the world!

No festivals period, no 45 minute slots, no supporting some stupid DJ, no parking lots in a rain storm, The Head will only be "Headlining", so come on down and rage!!
MACHINE HEAD recently wrapped up recording their 9th full-length album with Zack Ohren (FALLUJAH, ALL SHALL PERISH) at Sharkbite Studios in Oakland, CA. An official release date has yet to be confirmed, but a Jan. 2018 release is expected. More details to follow shortly.

MACHINE HEAD will also be offering an extremely limited number of VIP Packages in 2 tiers at www.machinehead.vip.
Gold VIP Tour Package:
One (1) General Admission Ticket
Meet and Greet w/ Machine Head
Group Photo w/ Machine Head
Exclusive Meet and Greet Shirt
Machine Head Flag
Souvenir Laminate w/ Lanyard
Early Entry
and
Platinum "Soundcheck" Package
One (1) General Admission Ticket
Soundcheck Viewing
Meet and Greet w/ Machine Head
Group Photo w/ Machine Head
Exclusive Meet and Greet Shirt
Machine Head Flag
Souvenir Laminate w/ Lanyard
Early Entry

Confirmed tour dates are as follows. General ticket on-sale begins at 10 am local on Friday, September 22nd.
North American "Catharsis" World Tour 2018
Thu 25-Jan Phoenix, AZ - Nile Theater
Sat 27-Jan Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
Mon 29-Jan San Antonio, TX - Aztec Theater
Tue 30-Jan Dallas, TX - Gas Monkey Live!
Wed 31-Jan Houston,TX – HOB
Fri 02-Feb Birmingham, AL - Saturn
Sat 03-Feb Pensacola, FL - Vinyl MH
Mon 05-Feb Orlando, FL - Plaza Live
Tue 06-Feb Atlanta, GA - Centerstage
Thu 08-Feb Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of Living Arts
Fri 09-Feb New York, NY - Playstation
Sat 10-Feb Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
Sun 11-Feb Montreal, QC - Club Soda
Tue 13-Feb Toronto, ON - Danforth MH
Wed 14-Feb Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
Thu 15-Feb Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
Fri 16-Feb Cleveland, OH - Agora
Sat 17-Feb Detroit, MI - Majestic
Tue 20-Feb Des Moines, IA - Woolys
Wed 21-Feb Madison, WI - Majestic
Thu 22-Feb Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
Fri 23-Feb Chicago, IL - Concord MH
Sat 24-Feb Saint Louis, MO - Pops
Tue 27-Feb Denver, CO - Summit MH
Thu 01-Mar Las Vegas, NV - HOB
Fri 02-Mar Los Angeles, CA - Fonda
Sat 03-Mar Oakland, CA - The Fox Theater
Mon 05-Mar Portland, OR - Roseland
Tue 06-Mar Vancouver, BC - Commodore
Wed 07-Mar Seattle, WA - Showbox Market

More vip crap I see, long gone are the days of getting your stuff signed out the back of the gigs or at the hotel for bands of a certain "stature".

Apparently i missed this album release a good while back. Zeal and Ardor. Mixing Old blues with black metal and it's so gooooood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggE3OwlPIYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWm7kipmC8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csgtV0Cs4ao

Ok, that's it. That convinced me that those people complaining that Black Metal has gone full hipster were right. And I absolutely love it. Fuck the haters <3

E: Oh god, they are playing in my city TOMORROW! That's one hell of a sign... I hope I can make the time.

Glenn is much better live than you'd expect. I saw him in Cleveland and they played a bunch of III since they were "warming up" for Riotfest. Same thing there. He absolutely nailed all the wailing, balls to the wall stuff. Lower end he struggled with, but was okay and even approached good on a couple of songs. His band was excellent, though. Sure, it's not the classic line-up, but they're tight and intense and do a good job on the old stuff. It's a bummer they didn't play III straight through at Riotfest.
Yeah I've seen them several times and will continue to do so. I'm biased for sure but it's always a good time

It was weird because they did play the album in a block, they just messed with the order. I think it would've been far better if they just kept it as is...that's the fun of a full album show after all. Highlight of the set was likely the intro of Godless into Anything, as I figured for sure they'd do the tired routine of Skincarver opening it

That's too bad. Surprised they are still playing. Don't both HR and Dr. Know have major health issues?

That's one band I would travel back in time to see.
I had heard someone talking after a show back in like 2009 that HR didn't yell anymore because of his Rasta lifestyle or whatever. Never actually saw videos or anything

They opened with a song I didn't recognized and followed it up with Attitude. Imagine seeing a band play some of the highest energy music ever with zero energy whatsoever

HR with some of the worst, whiny and moaning vocals I've ever heard, like he's talking in his sleep

Followed up with 2 consecutive reggae songs, at which point we gave up and went to wait for Danzig. Apparently they've had several guests touring with them, so if you've ever wanted to hear Randy Blythe come out and sing for Bad Brains then uhhhhhhh

Here's a video of Pay To Cum in 2010 if you want an idea

And whatever the fuck this was from saturday

Followed up with 2 consecutive reggae songs, at which point we gave up and went to wait for Danzig. Apparently they've had several guests touring with them, so if you've ever wanted to hear Randy Blythe come out and sing for Bad Brains then uhhhhhhh

Here's a video of Pay To Cum in 2010 if you want an idea
Lol, eh, he's an old man. But ya, that's definitely for super fans only. Honestly I'd probably go see them if they played here, but not if Randy Blythe was singing.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ney-to-combat-rare-headache-disorder-20160316

I only skimmed but both HR and Dr. Know have had recent gofundmes for medical bills. I vaguely remember reading that Dr. Know had serious issues.

"At around the same time as H.R.'s headaches became more severe, Dr. Know suffered cardiac arrest and ended up on life support. He is still in rehab — please check out his support fund for more information."

Top Bottom