• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors out now for iOS in Japan

Goli

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id643241607
This new version removes the "escape the room" bits for people to focus on the story.
It also has higher quality graphics/music as well as a new flowchart option.
Note that this is Japan only for now, if you wanna purchase it you need a Japanese iTunes account, and keep in mind that none of the other games Chunsoft has have been released internationally so far.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

iPad: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id643235266
Official site: http://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/ssn-999/

Removes the escape the room parts?! That's half the game!

Hopefully US will get it soon.

Cool, Jumpy gets his own character art. Awesome.

STORY SPOILER
How is the entire "Past Akane trying out each timeline" twist going to work without the DS's lower screen?

Korigama

Escape the room gone, AND only one screen (not even bothering to divide it on the display)...they couldn't have missed the point any harder if they tried.

Ridley327

I guess by higher quality, they mean not DS resolution.

It looks like bad DeviantArtist trying to ape Nishimura's art style.

That's just weird. The game was pretty much built with the DS in mind. And without the escape rooms, it's just a damn choose your own adventure book.

How is
the twist at the end
supposed to work?
I thought all of these new changes are great, since even though I love 999 the puzzles always seemed like a way to backdoor a visual novel to people who would never buy one.

BUT YOU'RE RIGHT. HOW THE HELL WOULD THAT WORK?

I thought my brain was done being blown by this game, it got me one more time.

Awesome!

*reads that they've removed the puzzles*

Huh? One of the best parts of the game are the puzzles. Especially "that" puzzle. >_<

At least Junpei has sprites now. The flowchart is kinda neat too.

Goli

That's just weird. The game was pretty much built with the DS in mind. And without the escape rooms, it's just a damn choose your own adventure book.

That didn't stop SE from porting TWEWY or FFIVDS to iOS, why would it stop Chunsoft from doing this?

Marche90

So only the Visual Novel part remains, huh...? Well, it definitely could be interesting, especially since they added the flowchart, but still...

*sigh* And this thread reminded me that I'm an idiot. I know the most important plot twists of the game, but I haven't even bought it. I need to get that game soon.

Ridley327

Well...at least people get to experience the story!?
Not really. :/

Yeah, that's the funny thing about this port.
It really needs to be on a DS in order for the story to have the full impact. I mean, shit, how can the big moment work if there's no puzzles at all?

I am really curious how that certain part is gonna be done in this version. Plus the implications that go along with it.

The escaping parts really make the mood too. :/

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wat?

No seriously, wat? Why would they do that? A fucking Wii U port would make more sense than iOS for this particular game!

Aeana

Wat?

No seriously, wat? Why would they do that? A fucking Wii U port would make more sense than iOS for this particular game!

...What is nonsensical about smartphones for a game like this? I think it's the perfect platform for visual novels/adventure games.

Cody_D165

Banned
So they cut the game in half? Bastardized version confirmed.

...Oh well, I guess more people will at least get to experience the game. I would have liked it to remain a DS exclusive though.

Flowchart in 999 seems pretty neato though I must admit.

...What is nonsensical about smartphones for a game like this? I think it's the perfect platform for visual novels/adventure games.

If it were any other VN I'd agree with you. But it's really really hard impossible to explain this particular game without spoiling anything.

Squire

Banned
Oooh, good catch.

I wonder if we can badger the Aksys folks here on how they feel this holds up to the DS original.

*tips hat*

Good news for me. I don't have a DS or PSP anymore and have being dying to play these games.
And I've heard the puzzles aren't very good anyway.

Jubern

I was going to say "shit, and here I just bought the DS version", but looking at the reaction in the thread it looks like I actually made the right choice.

Top Bottom