• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

ArtG

garath said:
My Best Buy had about 30 reg. edition copies and 4 collector's edition out today.

I wish I had a Best Buy to go to. A Target, Wal-Mart, GameStop and Meijer trip proved fruitless.

guess i am going to have to upgrade my video card then...what would you guys suggest? what card or should i wait for new models to come out?

jeremy70583 said:
guess i am going to have to upgrade my video card then...what would you guys suggest? what card or should i wait for new models to come out?

8800GT or 9600GT. If you've got more to spend the 8800 GTS 512 is a good choice. The new Nvidia cards are going to be released soon but I can't see those cards dropping in price very much.

Danj

jeremy70583 said:

8800GT or 9600GT are the sweet spot in terms of value/performance balance at the moment I think. Or if you're a Vista user and want DX 10.1, you could consider an ATI HD3850 or HD3870.

jeremy70583 said:
guess i will go with the 8800GTS G92...other two dont really looks like an upgrade over my 8800GTS 256mb.

I didn't know the 8800 GTS came in 256, you sure its not 320? Regardless i'd make sure your video card is fucked before buying a new one, because you already have a pretty decent card.

xabre

Banned
So after installing the retail disc version, how much more in the way of patches will you have to download?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So I am wondering if I should get this game... if I can run it

Now that I am using a laptop (which is more designed for entertainment purposes) instead of my computer (not that great for gaming, its designed as a music workstation) that is actually pretty good at running the games I have tried (130 fps in WoW at least...)

Centrino 1.83 DC
3G of ram
GeForce 8400M GS

Any chance?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
lsslave said:

Now that I am using a laptop (which is more designed for entertainment purposes) instead of my computer (not that great for gaming, its designed as a music workstation) that is actually pretty good at running the games I have tried (130 fps in WoW at least...)

Centrino 1.83 DC
3G of ram
GeForce 8400M GS

Any chance?
No chance, that video card will hold you back imo. However there is somebody out there that is able to run Bioshock at medium with that card, so maybe if you tweak settings.

Concept17 said:
5$... a month. Five dollars.
I am just quoting you in case you ever complain about Xbox Live not being free. :D

lsslave

Jew Gamer
godhandiscen said:
No chance, that video card will hold you back imo. However there is somebody out there that is able to run Bioshock at medium with that card, so maybe if you tweak settings.

I am just quoting you in case you ever complain about Xbox Live not being free. :D

While it may hold me back and I have to play it on lower settings will it run?

If I did any upgrading to my computer it would be a new sound card so I am really only gaming with my lappy now...

schild

jeremy70583 said:
ok this is what i have been talking about.

whenever i change video quality from low/med/high it goes away, but shortly comes back later. No idea why its doing this, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone else. obviosly not my card overheating as it goes away as soon as i change video quality.

I get the exact same thing after 7 hours of playing. Only happens with AOC. It's overheating. Let the card cool down or get a better fan. All there is to it.

Defcon

Banned
lsslave said:
While it may hold me back and I have to play it on lower settings will it run?

If I did any upgrading to my computer it would be a new sound card so I am really only gaming with my lappy now...

I have the same specs on my laptop and it ran the beta pretty poorly on the lowest settings. You're looking at 10-20 fps tops, but I believe a patch was released to help somewhat with performance.

godhandiscen

xabre said:
So after installing the retail disc version, how much more in the way of patches will you have to download?
A shitload. I have had the retail version since friday and I have downloaded more than a Gig in patches easily. And right now is looking for another patch. The whole game is already eating way above the 30GB it says you need.

boco77

Banned
is this a good game?
how is soloing? is it team based heavy like Guild Wars and FFXI? or more solo friendly like WoW and LoTR?
Also how will it run on my machine? q6600, 2gb ram, ati xt hd 2600, win xp.

godhandiscen

Ok, my bad, it hasnt taken more than 30GB yet, but it installed at 22GB and not is at 24.6GB.

Totalriot

boco77 said:
is this a good game?
how is soloing? is it team based heavy like Guild Wars and FFXI? or more solo friendly like WoW and LoTR?

You have two types of game modes: day and night. In night mode you are completly on your own and you only could do your single player quest line. You could easily get to level 18 or 19 without ever leaving the night mode.

In day mode most quests are doable solo as well but on a PVP server, going solo could result in a lot of ganking..

Ferrio

Banned
Totalriot said:
You have two types of game modes: day and night. In night mode you are completly on your own and you only could do your single player quest line. You could easily get to level 18 or 19 without ever leaving the night mode.

In day mode most quests are doable solo as well but on a PVP server, going solo could result in a lot of ganking..

Night/day is only in tortage, after that there's no solo instancing I believe.

Truant

boco77 said:
so basically if i solo the game will always be black and dark? that sucks i'm not buying it

No, the night-time areas are just for the 20 first levels of the game, and they are entirely optional.

Chris_C

lsslave said:

Centrino 1.83 DC
3G of ram
GeForce 8400M GS

Any chance?

You MIGHT be able to get by on low settings.

I have a laptop with a Centrino Core 2 Duo at 1.6GHz. 2GB of Ram and a Geforce Go7600. I was able to play at low settings at the lowest res between 5 and 40 FPS, it would really dip in the cities, but this was during the Open Beta using an unoptimised client. You should have better luck.

f@luS

More than a member.
fukin insane
i play for 3 days and everything was fine . I just quit the game and now it doesnt want to start anymore

fuk :(

Chris_C

boco77 said:
so basically if i solo the game will always be black and dark? that sucks i'm not buying it

No, the day/night thing only lasts for the first 20 levels, after that you can solo through the entire game regularly if you like.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Open Source said:
Good thing I bought 11 collector's editions. I did the same thing before with the WoW collector's edition but chickened out at the last minute.

Damn man youve gone Mad 11 Collectors Editions!???

Mind handing out a few buddy codes? Im all ready to go just need a buddy code and the server name to join up on!

Help a Gaffer out :)

So i've heard there are individuals over level 50 already?!?!

I was thinking of doing a PvP server, but since im joining 2 weeks late, the probability that there will be a good number of lvl 80's waiting to around just to gank me is making me think twice.

Seriously....lvl 50 before the official launch? That is too fast.

arena08

Open Source said:
Good thing I bought 11 collector's editions. I did the same thing before with the WoW collector's edition but chickened out at the last minute.

Spare a buddy code to an interested party? :)

xabre

Banned
So let's get a quick run down of those who are playing this.

Rate your experience out of 10 thus far and give us a short, snappy sentence summing up the game.

j-wood

Could someone tell me how in the world you are supposed to find your buddy key? It doesn't come in the case, and says to go to your account page to get it, yet I haven't seen it ANYWHERE on the site.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'd imagine they would go up when (if it hasn't already) the game launches.

godhandiscen

Been playing for 3 hours get a lowest framerate of 34 in Tortage. I have even seen 80fps at some points. High settings.

iamblades

xabre said:
So let's get a quick run down of those who are playing this.

Rate your experience out of 10 thus far and give us a short, snappy sentence summing up the game.

8.5-9 out of 10.

Not perfect, but among the competition it is one of the best.

I finally got to go into that big instance on top of the mountain in what earlier screenshot of wildlands, and it's even more massive looking from the inside.

If this is indicative of the types of dungeons that will be in game at higher levels, then raider will have plenty of pretty stuff to look at.

6seuzp.jpg

Boss time, I'm scared.
2qi1nh2.jpg

A demon and a shaman.
dqhb3l.jpg

Here's where all the blood that squirts out of everyone goes.

godhandiscen

Its ok I guess. The single player aspect of the game is awesome. I havent tried much besides that.

Justin

Last night we (Goons) started construction on our city. We are the first on any of the PVP servers and as far as we know game wide.

To celebrate we lined up to be trampled over by a large mammoth.
keep01fy1.png

And the construction begins
keepqk0.png

iamblades

Justin said:
Last night we (Goons) started construction on our city. We are the first on our server and as far as we know game wide.

keep01fy1.png

keepqk0.png

What server?

Justin

iamblades said:
What server?

Deathwhisper.

For the people who don't know, there are about 60 pieces to build to a compete a city. Once the guild city reaches level 3 then you can move into the borderlands and claim one of the 6 battlekeeps on the server and those are the ones that other guilds can capture.

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Gotta say at first I passed this off as another WoW clone and thought it could never live up to the rediculous amount of people playing WoW. But once again GAF has altered my thoughts on a new game and I feel like I must try it

godhandiscen

So when I preordered Gamestop had run out of preorder slips so they just gave me a 6 digit code in the back of my receipt to claim the mammoth. Where do I put this code? I have no instructions on how to do this.

Loan

Neo Member
Justin said:
Last night we (Goons) started construction on our city. We are the first on any of the PVP servers and as far as we know game wide.

keep01fy1.png

keepqk0.png

whats your guild name and forums etc.. seems a good guild i came from a BWL wow guild looking for experience ppl when i land in hyborian

Justin

Loan said:
whats your guild name and forums etc.. seems a good guild i came from a BWL wow guild looking for experience ppl when i land in hyborian

Hordes of Goonheim from Something Awful. We dont recruit, you have to be a SA member.

j-wood

Man i really hope they release the buddy keys soon...My friend bought the game and I really want to try this out

Loan

Neo Member
Hey anyone have EXTERNALS link for the patch so when i install my retail i have my patchs dled wil help me alot since my connection kinda sux plz anyone

VaLiancY

Man, I haven't posted on SA in a while. I'll wait for my new computer to jump on the Conan experience. Conan looks real solid and with Wrath coming, I'll make a decision which game I'm going side with.

Top Bottom