• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Snowman' trailer, Fassbender, 20/10

Link to article.

Link to trailer.

Winter is coming and it’s bringing one heck of a scary snowman with it. Based upon the best-selling thriller by Norwegian author Jo Nesbø, The Snowman is about detective Harry Hole (Michael Fassbender) who investigates an elusive serial killer.

But as you can see from this (warning: super creepy) trailer, things are not so simple. Remember when snowmen were just the fun things you decorated with carrots and pipes while playing in the snow? In this film, directed by Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), bodies are discovered without heads and the culprit is calling himself “The Snowman Killer.” And he seems to be taking a personal interest in Michael Fassbender’s policeman character. Also, apparently someone ends up a human snowman? No thank you!

The film costars Rebecca Ferguson, Charlotte Gainsbourg, and J.K. Simmons, and is due to arrive in theaters Oct. 20.

killroy87

That's a lot of talent in a trailer for a lifetime TV movie.

Seriously, that looks like something Morgan Freeman should have starred in in 1997.

I've read some of the Jo Nesbø novels and they were pretty damn good. Especially liked The Redbreast.

Wondered if Hollywood would change the name Harry Hole. Heh, nope.

berzeli

Banned
I love Tomas Alfredson so damn much, and the talent behind this is terrific.

However, the trailer isn't great. Hopefully it's just a bad trailer.

hobozero

He cuts off heads and puts them on snowmen?

50869093d64e2a706025de2cbb199ba2.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeesh. I love the entire cast but that trailer was dog shit. Fassbender better be careful with projects like this, his box office numbers aren't strong enough for him to sit in garbage heaps and not carry the stink.

Peru

Yeesh. I love the entire cast but that trailer was dog shit. Fassbender better be careful with projects like this, his box office numbers aren't strong enough for him to sit in garbage heaps and not carry the stink.

This director wouldn't make garbage, so it's a pretty safe project for Fassbender, though that doesn't mean it will take off in the box office.

It seems pretty obvious from the trailer who the killer is, doesn't it? Assume that is a fake out.

That does look life a really, really awful lifetime channel movie. Also a bit weird was JK Simmon's accent, why would you force everyone to have a british accent?

killroy87

Is this the first major Nesbo adaptation? His thrillers are so good

Edit: are people on unfamiliar with Nesbo's work?

Never heard of him (her?)

Considering how bad this trailer was, I can only imagine reading a quality book would only make this look worse.

This trailer has the line "I'm thinking he's going after women he disapproves of."

p2535748

Never heard of him (her?)

Considering how bad this trailer was, I can only imagine reading a quality book would only make this look worse.

This trailer has the line "I'm thinking he's going after women he disapproves of."

Well, all his books are translated, so honestly some of the dialogue is clunky. Still, they're in general very good. Most people I've recommended them to have ended up reading a large portion of them (once they get over the fact that the detective's name is "Harry Hole", and yes I know it's not pronounced that way). I do wonder how much they can get into Harry's alcoholism self-destructiveness.

The Snowman in particular reads a bit more horror-ish than his other books. It's generally a very violent and dark book.

I recommend people take a look at Headhunters, which is a very good book and movie (the movie has the guy who plays Jamie Lannister).

shira

You know a movie is going to be bad when they literally play the entire movie and spell out the plot in the trailer

noomi

Hah! Knowing nothing about this movie it popped up on my youtube feed with a thumbnail of an evil looking snowman....

I assumed this was going to be some cheesy low budget horror movie about an evil snowman that was going to kill a bunch of teenagers....

Boy was I wrong, this looks very good.

Akahige

I wasn't expecting something quite like that with the caliber of talent involved. Looks a little too run of the mill, not something with a prime oscar season release.

sflufan

Banned
Nesbø's books can be hit or miss, and Harry Hole is practically every alcoholic, cynical cop cliche wrapped into one.

Top Bottom