• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Wii] [DS] Iwata: "If we can get the mothers who hated games to buy in..." (Asahi)

Mandoric

Banned
http://www.asahi.com/kansai/news/OSK200801030061.html

On every street corner, carried by young and old, men and women, even used in academics, the Nintendo DS. Beginning with an active style, threatening to replace the act of "sitting in front of the TV", the Wii. In this past year, the image that "games will rot your mind and body" has been replaced with their becoming a part of the everyman's routine. Our Osaka branch business editor interviews Nintendo President Iwata Satoru (48) about the new connections between gaming and family life.

--- Why do you think the Wii and DS have been such hits so far?

We were correct to aim for, with both platforms, expanding the target market. In the past few years, the number of gamers has decreased, driven by negative images such as "interferes with study" and "causes crime". With the DS that we launched in '04, we attempted to create a platform that no one could hate.

--- What were your focuses when designing the systems?

When asking people why they didn't game, we received many answers like "It's too hard" and "It takes too much time". Due to this, we focused on easy controls, the ability to play short bursts while on the train, and a variety of software aimed at nontraditional consumers. For those who found button input too complex, we added pen input. As well, we formed a new company image with "Brain Training", which helped the Wii as well.

--- So it went according to plan.

Not really. It's great to put it that way, but if game software doesn't catch on with the customers, it won't sell. Thus, you can't just produce hits by pure logic. Also, calling it quits spells doom. Now, we're feeling the pressure of coming up with a product that surpasses even out current two platforms.

--- The Wii's waggling controls lead to games where you move your body selling well, don't they.

In terms of simple controls, it's an extension of the DS, but as something to be put in the living room, it's different. With the increase in big-screen TVs, what kind of console should we create? There are those who aimed for high-quality graphics and deep stories, but that won't increase the market. We answered a game that would make you feel as if you'd entered the screen and were playing a sport, a game you could feel with your whole body.

--- There are many people who, rather than play alone, prefer to play as a family.

There's the 20th-century image of the family gathered in the living room before the TV. When the Famicom appeared in that image, everyone gathered around, wanting a turn on the controller. Games of that age were so fun. But somehow, the controller became complex, the father and mother backed off. Our concept for the Wii is to, centering on games, create a 21st-century lifestyle where the family can come together to laugh and converse.

--- So in a way, it's changing normal family life.

It's not enough to just create an amusing pastime; we must also suggest to the current busy consumer that it's something they, also, can do. With many hit titles, we can give even the grandson and grandfather with no common ground something to talk about. If we manage to get even the mothers who hated games to buy in, it marks a bright future for our industry.

--- Are there differences between the production styles of Nintendo and other firms.

Since so few people have that je ne sais quoi required to produce really striking, fun new ideas, we leave a lot of power to individuals. This might be different from many other companies.

However, in producing a program, it's also necessary that many people cooperate on the troubles and problems. Without both individualism and teamwork, we couldn't create fun games. Nintendo's advantage is, ignoring an emproyee's age or work history, supporting everyone's individual capabilities.

--- As someone hired into the company after working elsewhere, what was your image of Nintendo.

There was an advantage to having an outsider's perspective. Seeing the necessity for a perspective not limited to Nintendo, that era's board of directors looked outside the company for a replacement. There was hope of increasing internet support, and changing to reflect the era and circumstances more. However, there was also the potential to damage Nintendo's image with too many changes.

--- It feels like your management style is similar to iPod-era Apple.

I myself have used Apple products for many years, but I didn't model my management style on them. The philosophies "Limit model creep", "Produce simple products", and "Drive new styles and innovations" that the companies share are simply neccessities for Apple as an electronics firm and Nintendo as a game firm, and come from an inward-looking focus.

--- Cell phones are gaining many gaming functions, too. Won't these be significant rivals?

Cell phones do a lot besides just send calls. Recently they combine a phone, email, television, and become an all-purpose system. Because of this, even someone with engineering training such as myself finds it difficult to master all the functions without studying the manual. On that point, the DS is playable fine without a manual. This ease of comprehension lets us produce games that are easy to understand, becoming the new, more refined Nintendo's strength.

--- What surprises will we see in '08?

The use of the DS's WiFi capabilities for information. With over 20 million units sold domestically, we can go beyond games. Uses like getting off a train and downloading a map of the surrounding area, with descriptions of stores. The expanding of WiFi access throughout train stations, underground plazas, and restaurants allows the DS to get online from many more places.

stilgar

What surprises will we see in '08?

The use of the DS's WiFi capabilities for information. With over 20 million units sold domestically, we can go beyond games. Uses like getting off a train and downloading a map of the surrounding area, with descriptions of stores. The expanding of WiFi access throughout train stations, underground plazas, and restaurants allows the DS to get online from many more places.

Wooooooooooow seriouzly?

-___-

kamikaze

stilgar said:
Wooooooooooow seriouzly?

-___-

seriously...for japan. the interview was conducted by japanese press. i doubt we'll see anything like this outside of japan anytime soon.

(is it time for me to fix my sarcasm meter again?)

Eteric Rice

dr3upmushroom said:
Iwata always comes off great after interviews, he never sounds like an arrogant douche.

Thats why he's the only one I actually care to listen to. He's pretty humble all things considered.

stilgar

Ok for the Japan-only functionnality,but I'm still under the 3DO crappy crap trauma. What could cure me in 2008, mr President? Games, maybe?

Innotech said:
so now only the PSP is allowed to sell on multimedia?

I was trying to ignore what he said too until i realized it was stealth trolling. It seems PS3/PSP are allowed to have cool multimedia stuff but Nintendo on the other hand should never attempt such things :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's not enough to just create an amusing pastime; we must also suggest to the current busy consumer that it's something they, also, can do. With many hit titles, we can give even the grandson and grandfather with no common ground something to talk about. If we manage to get even the mothers who hated games to buy in

Something I've been saying for yonks. Thusfar in my experience with Wii, moms and dads etc. are more than willing to participate, but actually getting them to go buy themselves a game might be a completely different matter. At least if the moms and dads I know are anything like the norm :p

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
--- So it went according to plan.

Not really. It's great to put it that way, but if game software doesn't catch on with the customers, it won't sell. Thus, you can't just produce hits by pure logic. Also, calling it quits spells doom. Now, we're feeling the pressure of coming up with a product that surpasses even out current two platforms.
Hah!

Lobster

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Iwata always comes off great after interviews, he never sounds like an arrogant douche.

On the other hand, when ever Miyamato is interviewed or someone talks about Miyamato in an interview. He sounds like an arrogant douche.

"Miyamato did not allow this in the game so I had to sneak it in. He said some of our ideas sucked too"

On the other hand, when ever Miyamato is interviewed or someone talks about Miyamato in an interview. He sounds like an arrogant douche.

"Miyamato did not allow this in the game so I had to sneak it in. He said some of our ideas sucked too"

Maybe they are playing good cop bad cop

Our concept for the Wii is to, centering on games, create a 21st-century lifestyle where the family can come together to laugh and converse.

That says it all

Top Bottom