• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata PS4 version Japan and Asia shipments + digital sales top 500,000

Well fucking deserved I say!! My current GotY and on the shortlist of favorite games ever played. Congrats Yoko Taro, Platinum, MONACA, and everyone else who contributed to this title, it truly is something to behold.

I wonder how much the PS4 demo had to do with how successful the game turned out to be. I recall word of mouth being extremely positive.

Has to be a lot I feel. A lot of my friends who weren't Yoko Taro fans didn't even bat an eye to the game until they played the demo.

^-^ Came for the gameplay, but stayed for Yoko Taro's wild ride.

Sami+

Exciting! Really hope the next one is even better. :) So happy to see a Yoko Taro game finally break that barrier.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Nobody buys these niche games that only matter to nerds on GAF" they said during the popularity polls last year, and all throughout.

Elandyll

Banned
For me it was:

1. Watch reveal trailer at E3
2. See that Yoko Taro is partnering with PG
3. Immediate pre-order and media blackout until release
When I say not on my radar, I did think it looked interesting at E3, but before playing the demo, and having never played Drakengard or Nier games before, in my mind it was pretty much relegated to "obscure JRPG that might be good but that I'll never play".

The demo made me think: shit, this game is amazing! Who knew? ;)

13ruce

Banned
Oh my god my 2.5m prediction or even more might really happen it really deserves it. Best selling platinum game too then right?

Go_Ly_Dow

500k Asia

At least 200k in NPD I believe.

250k steam.

So with Europe added the sell through alone is a safe bet to be over 1mil, probably approaching 1.5mil soon.

I think 2mil down the line is reachable.

GLORY TO YOKO TARO.

500k Asia

250k steam.

So with Europe added the sell through alone is a safe bet to be over 1mil, probably approaching 1.5mil soon.

GLORY TO YOKO TARO.
Man, if you had asked me a year ago if I thought P5 or Automata would be hits I probably wouldn't have said yes and that they would end up doing similar numbers.

Ampsicora

500k Asia

250k steam.

GLORY TO YOKO TARO.

I don't think it's that easy, I believe NPD numbers includes PS4 + Steam numbers. So if the game sold 200k in USA you need to subdivide it between PC and PS4

gconsole

Asia's quickly becoming a big contender for console games like Japan/UK. I know it's several countries but it wasn't long ago that it was a non-factor.

Well, most countries are emerging ( except for South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore ), so surely u will see growth. It's just a matter of how big it's going to be console wise.

LotusHD

Banned
This feels like the biggest "underdog finds success" story of 2017 so far. Probably isn't, but damn, still can't believe how sell this game is selling compared to the previous entries.

Makes me wonder how much it helped that the title was so closely tight to Sony's marketing machine and how it would have performed on its own as one of the many multiplatform titles.

Boke1879

Yup. Japanese devs have certainly benefited surprisingly well from it and the PS4's success in that market.

Yup. I remember someone at SE said that a lot of Japanese devs would focus on making their games for PS4 because it gave them the best chances at being successful.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yup. I remember someone at SE said that a lot of Japanese devs would focus on making their games for PS4 because it gave them the best chances at being successful.

I think it also helps that Japanese developers in general realized they should play to their strengths instead of just making games based on Western ideas and styles. For a while there they seemed to be under the impression that Westerners wanted to play Western style games from Japanese developers. It seems that time is over and they realized that Western gamers love Japanese games because of their eccentricities, focus, and style.

Squire

Banned
That's awesome, hopefully it sells well enough that another Square / Platinum collaboration has to happen.

It already eclipses the first game and has to be one of PGs fastest-selling titles. SE has a huge opportunity to build a brand here.

Squire

Banned
"Nobody buys these niche games that only matter to nerds on GAF" they said during the popularity polls last year, and all throughout.

Right? It's almost like if you make a genuine effort to market and sell good games you can overcome the defeatist narrative that "niche/anime" games don't sell!

Seriously, I hope SE learns from this. Everything is niche until it's popular. No reason Nier can't be the example.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Glad to see this success story.

I got a copy at launch but it went on the backburner with tbe triple punch of Horizon, Zelda and Persona 5 back to back.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Right? It's almost like if you make a genuine effort to market and sell good games you can overcome the defeatist narrative that "niche/anime" games don't sell!

Seriously, I hope SE learns from this. Everything is niche until it's popular. No reason Nier can't be the example.

Thats true. Souls was niche at one point too. If you don't give the game a chance, how will it become mainstream.

Reminds me of job interviews. You need experience to get a job but you cant get experience without a job.

True Fire

This feels like the biggest "underdog finds success" story of 2017 so far. Probably isn't, but damn, still can't believe how sell this game is selling compared to the previous entries.

One of the best gaming success story of all time tbh. NieR was a flop and a critical bomb. Its sequel being an 88-89 metascore ~1.5 million seller is ridiculous.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
This is so crazy. Never could have imagined Nier getting a sequel, and then see it be announced and turn into this kind of success! I only hope it means Yoko Taro gets more freedom and money to create whatever the hell he wants.

You know what makes Nier's success (both critical and commercial) even more impressive? The fact that it was made in less than 2 years. When the game was announced in E3 2015, the only things that they had to show were concept arts. It was the announcement of a Nier project between SE and PG, that at the time didn't even had a name. Now less than 2 years later, we are here.

Just think about it for a second. How many big console games in the current generation (or even PS3/X360 generation) can you name that A) had a small budget B) less than 2 years of development time, and yet still managed to (arguably) be a masterpiece.

Neir Automata is seriously impressive on so many levels.

george_us

I usually don't get wrapped up in sales anymore but continually hearing about Nier: Automata's success genuinely makes me happy.

Top Bottom