• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U announced - "Rethink the conventions of Zelda"

Not meant to be negative, but hasn't Zelda been sticking with the basics essentially since it's inception? What is meant by "basics" I guess is my question?

Beth Cyra

They have already confirmed the art will be close to Zelda SS than this

So, get ready to be dissapointed :)
Skyward Sword looked a lot like Twilight for a good period as well.

If the game is as far out as it seems, then the art style could very easily change to something like the gif.

duckroll

Not meant to be negative, but hasn't Zelda been sticking with the basics essentially since it's inception? What is meant by "basics" I guess is my question?

The thread title is kinda bad. What they said was that they were going back to evaluate the roots of Zelda, and attempt to reinvent them.

SykoTech

Meh. I'll give the Smash Bros, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart announcements a pass because they were at least confirmed for E3. This one however is almost the SSB4 "announcement" all over again. They could have at least made "no Wii-mote/Motion Plus required!" one of the bullet points.

And 2015 release? So much for Nintendo not announcing stuff until it's close. Then again....Smash Bros.

Oh well. The rest of the announcements delivered pretty well. Still a good day.

Beth Cyra

I have no recollection of this ever occurring.
Yeah me either.

From the moment we got the reveal trailer Twilight was billed as OoT 2 and how it would be bigger and better.

I don't remember them trying to be different other then saying this WON'T be like WW to get back people who turned their back on that title.

Breaking from the linear dungeon order?

Can't wait.

No longer playing by yourself?

As long as it's just something like player messaging like the Souls games or something similar to sharing stuff between games, then I can get behind that. Maybe just Mii Verse integration.

If it's anything more intrusive and it is mandatory for the main game, then I would be pretty anxious/skeptical. Will just wait to see what they mean when they eventually show it off, though.

Servbot24

Banned
The dungeon order thing is promising. Skyward Sword was so linear I didn't even feel like finishing it (and am still only halfway through).

They have already confirmed the art will be close to Zelda SS than this

So, get ready to be dissapointed :)

Nintendo sure knows how to dissapoint, first no Bravely Default on 3DS, then a stunning Zelda demo and a confirmation the actual game will look nothing like that

I ask again where do you get this from?

CrisKre

Its pretty obvious this will be 2 player Zelda. Just like the nintendoland concept it will be swordplay motion plus and archer wii u pad. They keep their promises and deliver the best of both worlds.

Im excited.

Anth0ny

they say this EVERY time

don't believe aonuma's lies. we're gonna get a new partner character that's even worse than fi.

panda21

since Wii U is basically Demon's souls the console, I reckon they will do something awesome with this. even just demon's souls style online would be amazing.

RagnarokX

You don't have to reduce the puzzle complexity at all. What you have to do is reduce your reliance on the formula/structure that has been beaten death. Moving away from the strict reliance on items (that are often used heavily in one dungeon then forgotten) would be a start.

The reliance on items is a huge part of Zelda. The items add multiple things to the game; they allow you to solve puzzles, and they give you a sense of gaining power in a more natural progression than with experience points. You can traverse more areas and defeat enemies faster because you are better equipped.

To make dungeon order non-linear, they'd have to make the dungeons completable with just the sword and maybe some basic items like the bow and boomerang that they could give you at the outset and the dungeon's item. This would relegate dungeon items to pretty much exclusive use in their own dungeon. If they make sections in a dungeon that require another dungeon item, that would mean dead ends or tedious backtracking.

If they made dungeons change based on your inventory, that could work, but they couldn't half ass it. They could have puzzles have multiple solutions, but I think they can make puzzles more complex if they have more control over the solution.

ASIS

they say this EVERY time

don't believe aonuma's lies. we're gonna get a new partner character that's even worse than fi.
His points have all been reflected on the game, in one way or the other. Your problem is with their design to appeal to the non-fans.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Didn't they try to rethink Zelda when SS came out? And before that when TP came out? And before that when they went with a completely unexpected art style for WW? But hey, I loves me some Zelda so bring it on. I mean, we all knew it would be coming.

Beth Cyra

Didn't they try to rethink Zelda when SS came out? And before that when TP came out? And before that when they went with a completely unexpected art style for WW? But hey, I loves me some Zelda so bring it on. I mean, we all knew it would be coming.
Again no with Twilight Princess. That game love or hate it, is exactly what they claimed and set out to make. OoT2.

The Boat

Not really with TP. It was always supposed to be OoT2 in many ways because that's what everyone was asking for. Of course, we "all" know that you should not listen to Zelda fans when it comes to ideas.

Beth Cyra

Not really with TP. It was always supposed to be OoT2 in many ways because that's what everyone was asking for. Of course, we "all" know that you should not listen to Zelda fans when it comes to ideas.
They listened, made an amazing game that is the best selling one since OoT and now we are getting hopefully a new experience and a WW HD (Can't say I want it but I know others do) so it seems like listening proved a positive experience to me.

Mileena

Banned
This thread depresses me; open world is the CANCER killing gaming. You can be non-linear without being open world.
This post is cancer. Play Dark Souls and get back to me on open world, Zelda could learn quite a few things from the brilliant design in Dark Souls.

Chinner

Banned
i'm still waiting for a zelda game that doesnst follow the footprint that is OoT. something more like LA, and less like OoT plx.

Anth0ny

I can't get hype over another Aonuma/EAD 3 Zelda. I just don't have it in me.

I bet the trailers, art and gameplay are going to look impressive when we see it... but once we get the game in our hands we'll see all the baffling, awful ideas implemented once more. Fetch quests, forced tutorials, bloated opening, annoying partner character...

give it to koizumi already

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
2015. No way. I simply can not wait that long. Surely 2014.

Ithil

isn't this what they said about skyward sword? lol

He said that in the video, that they tried out new gameplay stuff (which they did), but weren't able to break the linear feel, which is what he means when pointing out completeing dungeons in a linear order as a Zelda convention.

PKrockin

i'm still waiting for a zelda game that doesnst follow the footprint that is OoT. something more like LA, and less like OoT plx.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Link's Awakening had quite a bit of story, handholding in the form of the owl, and IIRC it was somewhat linear (possibly moreso than OoT).

Top Bottom