• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Radius4

don't add the gamename
just retroarch --menu --verbose and load the rom from RGUI
Also, you can enlarge the window and the screen buffer right clicking the title bar and selecting properties. Without the full log I can't know what's going on
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/13919-windows-7-increase-the-buffer-size-of-the-command-prompt

Alternatively, use powershell or some other console, or maybe you can do retroarch --menu --verbose > file.log... I dunno if that works in windows

Radius4

what's inside the rom zip?
Code:
pal-b4-0 prg NOT FOUND (tried in nes nes/batman batman)
nes-b4-0 chr NOT FOUND (tried in nes nes/batman batman)
FATALERROR: Required files are missing, the system cannot be run.

Lettuce

what's inside the rom zip?
Code:
pal-b4-0 prg NOT FOUND (tried in nes nes/batman batman)
nes-b4-0 chr NOT FOUND (tried in nes nes/batman batman)
FATALERROR: Required files are missing, the system cannot be run.

The rom file in the NES directory is just a normal NES batman rom, the same rom loads fine for any NES core within retroarch.

The zip file constist of just 1 file....

Batman - The Video Game (USA).nes

Radius4

Ok then, those are not valid anymore for MESS/UME, those aren't completely deprecated but loading those is more complicated.

By default the MESS core uses softlists and the softlist romset. If you want to use regular roms you will have to tweak your core options file by hand or use the cli loading method.

For the first solution you need to change the following:

Code:
mess_softlists_enable = "disabled"
mess_softlists_auto_media = "disabled"
mess_media_type = "cart"

That should work for single cart nes games but it's not scalable for more complex systems

The cli loading method is something like this:
Code:
retroarch.exe "nes -cart path\to\game.zip" -L cores\mess_libretro.dll

You would first need to change your core options to have this:

Code:
mess_boot_from_cli = "enabled"

The blog post I linked earlier explains this: http://www.libretro.com/index.php/mamemessume-cores/

Lettuce

Ok then, those are not valid anymore for MESS/UME, those aren't completely deprecated but loading those is more complicated.

By default the MESS core uses softlists and the softlist romset. If you want to use regular roms you will have to tweak your core options file by hand or use the cli loading method.

For the first solution you need to change the following:

Code:
mess_softlists_enable = "disabled"
mess_softlists_auto_media = "disabled"
mess_media_type = "cart"

That should work for single cart nes games but it's not scalable for more complex systems

The cli loading method is something like this:
Code:
retroarch.exe "nes -cart path\to\game.zip" -L cores\mess_libretro.dll

You would first need to change your core options to have this:

Code:
mess_boot_from_cli = "enabled"

The blog post I linked earlier explains this: http://www.libretro.com/index.php/mamemessume-cores/

Ok, lets more this over to PM rather than clogging up the thread

Radius4

I think it's good to explain this kind of stuff in the thread so other users may benefit but sure, whatever you want

Radius4

Not really MESS is quite bloated and slow for many systems. It's great for what it is but not really a contender in the performance department

nkarafo

So, what's the status of N64 emulation in RetroArch? I only tested one game and i was disappointed (Pilotwings). It had some bad graphical glitches despite the fact that i used the same plugin (glide) that i use on standalone PJ64 emulators (where it has no such problems).

Card Boy

Banned
Decided to turn my Raspberry Pi into a XBMC box. Wasn't impressed with the game speeds of SNES games and the fucking around i had to do to load up a game or even get controllers working. Better of using PC emulators.

Kega Fusion regarded to be the boss for everything Sega then? (Minus Saturn & DreamCast)

I generally haven't seen any issues using the RA cores for most Genesis/Sega CD stuff, but Kega Fusion is the only emu I've found that will play the FM synthesis music in the Japanese version of Phantasy Star 1 correctly.

Genesis Plus GX's emulation of PS1 seems perfect to me, both the US release and the Japanese one with SMSPower's retranslation patch.

Do you know a way to get it to handle the music right? Because I'd really rather play it via RA if I could....

EDIT: Tried this again with the latest nightly, forced FM music, and success! Everything's coming up Milhouse.

valouris

I downloaded this on an android and it works really well! But is there any way to have the correct input overlay display every time you load a respective core? The SNES controller for when you load up SNES games, N64 for N64 games etc. The way it is now I have to manually change every time. I couldn't find something in the settings, what am I missing?

Awakened

Do you know a way to get it to handle the music right? Because I'd really rather play it via RA if I could....

EDIT: Tried this again with the latest nightly, forced FM music, and success! Everything's coming up Milhouse.
Cool, I was wondering if it was something about the FM. There's been a lot of core options added to GPGX over the last few months that have made it more versatile.

iDTSA89zrjYSC.png

http://timothylottes.blogspot.fr/2014/08/scanlines.html

Has this been ported to RETROARCH yet ?
Would like to try it but I have no clue how to write shaders for RA

Additional screens from here

It looks really good with the NTSC shader too when played at the native N64 res:

Edit: Those pics aren't using the standard NTSC shader. That's been tweaked here and an additional bloom pass has been added (again tweaked)
Looks really nice. Fools me everytime

Radius4

I just wanna know everything there is to know to run Windjammers on my Macbook. It's a Neo Geo arcade game. That's all there is to know in terms of the nitty gritty.

You need to have retroarch, the rom you require and a core, in this case, MAME or FBA would do. Also you need BIOS images for negeo.

What is the proper way to set up netplay with retroarch? A while back I tried to set it up with my brother and we couldn't connect it kept saying that it didn't initialize. We were trying to play snes and mame roms so I don't know if that may of been the problem. Also is there a go to site for shaders or themes?

Rich!

What is the proper way to set up netplay with retroarch? A while back I tried to set it up with my brother and we couldn't connect it kept saying that it didn't initialize. We were trying to play snes and mame roms so I don't know if that may of been the problem. Also is there a go to site for shaders or themes?

not sure myself, but firstly make sure you are using the exact same roms

Radius4

Only cores that support serialization support netplay. So if a core doesn't have libretro save states it will not work.

Then on the server side (should be the one with the more powerful computer) go to settings, netplay, enable netplay, and that's about it on that side.

On the client side, go to the same part, select netplay client enable, configure the server IP address and port and go back.

Then on the server load the game. It will stop on the console waiting for a client to connect. Then on the client load the same game with the same core and it should connect and work if you've done everything correctly (forward ports, configure firewalls, etc)

drspeedy

It's been covered some already, but I've been looking for a good way to get SGB borders on Wii homebrew, and I know retroarch can support custom overlays (not dynamic like SGB, but hey)... Anyone have an opinion on how complicated the Wii version is to setup?

I read through the libreto thread, looks like there's a lot of info and tips there, but I'm honestly not gonna spend a ton of time setting up something that I'll only use a handful of times. Is the setup pretty straightforward?

Thread (props to junior my words exactly!)

http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1545&sid=85a88dba8acd458eefc7c93ef9119a1e

Having a lot of trouble getting a particular rom to run in my PSX core for some reason. Tried three different versions and my Retro Arch just stops running and crashes to desktop. I have all of the BIOS' set up and every other rom I try to play loads up fine. It's a cue file like the others too and the kicker is it loads in other PSX emulators so I'm not sure why Retro Arch can't seem to run it, wish I knew what was causing it. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. I'm running the PC version.

Mednafen PSX is quite picky on the BIOS you need, you need to have the files but those need to be the correct ones.

http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Beetle/Mednafen_PSX

In there you can find the recommended BIOS files with their CRCs.
Also, what's the name of your cue and bin files? and what are the contents of your cue file?

Thanks for the reply. My BIOS seems to be loaded fine, I guess it must be the the cue file. I'm trying to load "Pandemonium". It's really confusing as I can't open the cue in PowerISO to see what it contains, it just tells me it's invalid. Any other way to open it? The cue works fine when I try to play it in the pSX emulator though. That uses a scph1001 BIOS but I think I have that in my Retro Arch settings too.

It's really confusing me as I can't find any version of this rom that works in Retro Arch. I have two separate roms that load in pSX, both different versions of the game with completely different bin and cue's. If this is the case maybe it's a BIOS thing after all?

Radius4

CUE sheets are edited via notepad :D.
Is your game PAL? if that's the case it might still be a BIOS issue, mednafen requires a different BIOS image per region

CUE sheets are edited via notepad :D.
Is your game PAL? if that's the case it might still be a BIOS issue, mednafen requires a different BIOS image per region

Had a look at the cue sheet in notepad and it simply says:

FILE "Pandemonium!.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

As for the game, I have both a European PAL version and a US version. Both load fine in Playstation emulators via the cue file but won't load in Retro Arch. The BIOS I have in my Retro Arch folder are the following:

scph1001
scph5500
scph5501
scph5502

They're in my system folder. Really not sure what the problem is as every other game seems to load fine and these roms even load fine in other emulators.

I just got shaders working on my nvidia shield (clamshell) and holy crap the lcd shader is outstanding for gba. Also using a tweaked CRT-interlaced-halation shader for nes/snes/gen ... I am shocked how much better it looks using proper shaders instead of crap overlays. I have to snap some pics of my screen. Soooooo good.

Hooking this up to my tv makes me feel a lot better about cheating out on not getting an xbr-mini or some PVM or BVM monitor. Good enough for me and I haven't even seen CRT-royale in motion due to the shields limited CPU GFX power.

Awakened

TRACK 01 MODE2/2352

As for the game, I have both a European PAL version and a US version. Both load fine in Playstation emulators via the cue file but won't load in Retro Arch. The BIOS I have in my Retro Arch folder are the following:

scph1001
scph5500
scph5501
scph5502

They're in my system folder. Really not sure what the problem is as every other game seems to load fine and these roms even load fine in other emulators.
I just tried the US version and it works without problem:
I only have scph5500.bin and scph5501.bin in my system folder. In Pandemonium's .cue file I have:
Code:
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 21:17:22
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 23:11:43
    INDEX 01 23:13:43

Radius4

TRACK 01 MODE2/2352

scph1001
scph5500
scph5501
scph5502

Did you read the link I posted with the hashes of the correct BIOS images?

I just tried the US version and it works without problem:

I only have scph5500.bin and scph5501.bin in my system folder. In Pandemonium's .cue file I have:

Code:
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 21:17:22
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 23:11:43
    INDEX 01 23:13:43

I have this version too! I also have those two BIOS' in my system folder. Thanks for the input, glad to see it's working for someone else.

Did you read the link I posted with the hashes of the correct BIOS images?

I did and it seems that my scph5500 and scph5501 hashes completely match to the ones listed on the page. My scph5502 however, does not. I'll see if I can replace that, even though Awakened said he doesn't use that one and it loaded for him.

It may be also worth noting I'm using 64 bit Retro Arch. I'll try a different version of Retro Arch and replacing my scph5502 bios and see if I have any luck.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

EDIT// Yep, it was my scph5502 BIOS screwing me over. Updated it to the BIOS with the correct hash and the game / rom seems to be working now. Thanks again for all your help, guys, feel a bit stupid now I know what the problem was. Much appreciated.

Rich!

Retroarch is a bit of a godsend for me as my ps1 laser is slowly dying.

I see absolutely no difference between playing a game on the psx mednafen core and the real thing. Especially with the ps1 bios intro and a psx controller.

Awakened

iDTSA89zrjYSC.png

http://timothylottes.blogspot.fr/2014/08/scanlines.html

Has this been ported to RETROARCH yet ?
Would like to try it but I have no clue how to write shaders for RA
A CG version of this was uploaded to github a few days ago: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/libretro/common-shaders/master/crt/crt-lottes.cg

After trying out many of the CRT shaders I was really indecisive about what shader I liked the most. I opened all the ones I liked in Notepad++ and modified the paths so I could have their cg or cgp file in the root of my shader folder. Royale was the most difficult to do that with; a lot of the 25 files in it's src folder have include lines which point to files that are part of common shaders. But I found all the files it needs, copied them to my Royale folder and made sure the paths pointed to them. Doing this to my shader files made it so I can use the next/previous shader keys/buttons to swap between them on the fly.

Now that I can switch between them at will I realized a lot of the parameter customizations I made killed the "character" of the shaders. So I ended up reverting most of them to default. Also, I would now go straight for Royale over the other shaders. It's nice and bright and I don't often notice unevenness in it at non-integer scale. So my opinion on it flipped and it's my favorite. At least for now.

I'm using the user-settings-royale-with-cheese-nvidia.h settings file, which I assume has all the bells, whistles, and optimizations that work on Nvidia cards enabled. There are two settings I don't use defaults for. I disable the border; it's a nice effect, but obscures too much of the screen. And I use 0.25 for the "static const float bloom_excess_static" value. I wanted to use the default 0.0, which is a little sharper, but it makes some colors have a green or yellowish tint. It's sort of easy to see on Ape Escape's health cookies:

royalecookiescomparetpka0.png

Also, hunterk's blog post has some interesting info about Royale.

Kleevah

Is there a wiki or something that has the mappings for the button name in the retroarch menu to the actual physical button on the controller for all cores? Like what the hell is C or Z on a 6 button genesis controller (or anything else not following the SNES layout really). I've done it by trial an error so far, but there has got to be a list somewhere, right?

Awakened

Is there a wiki or something that has the mappings for the button name in the retroarch menu to the actual physical button on the controller for all cores? Like what the hell is C or Z on a 6 button genesis controller (or anything else not following the SNES layout really). I've done it by trial an error so far, but there has got to be a list somewhere, right?
Yep. You can click on a core from that main page and click controllers to see how it maps. Not all the pages have that info filled in yet though.

Kleevah

Nice, that's going to help a lot the next time I have to reconfigure controllers again. Not as complete as I had hoped though, but I guess everything will be filled out eventually.

Platy

Can't wait for 1.1 .... I hope they fixes some bugs with control imputs on the Wii version

Retroarch is basicaly the only reason I homebrewed the vWii on the WiiU

Rich!

little bit worried about the GUI changes

I love the current setup. it's not pretty, but its far more functional than any other emulation solution I've used. I hope they don't go for style over substance, it'd fucking suck.

Top Bottom