• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

The other thing is that Panasonic are known for their pro monitor division, so it's no surprise that they managed over 98% DCI, almost matching QLED for colour.

This TV is a year old now, and it was on The Gadget Show last night playing 4K Blu's, think that says a lot.

KevinG

I'm gonna give in and grab a Minecraft Xbox One S bundle from Target today. For roughly $200, and selling my OG Xbox One with Kinect to even it out.

I'll end up selling it for there Scorpio in a few months, but that's okay, worth the trouble to have the UHD bluray for the next 6 months before Scorpio.

Theonik I actually want to thank you lol, after our discussion I went to test the lag with BFI (1080 motion) on, and I'm actually amazed that I can't detect any lag increase, not to say it's no there, but I must have flicked back and forth 20 times with various games at 4K, so probably around 40ms in total, couldn't see any flickering either, very impressed. I only ever tested it at 1080p and it didn't feel very good, should have tried it at 4K earlier!

Theonik

Theonik I actually want to thank you lol, after our discussion I went to test the lag with BFI (1080 motion) on, and I'm actually amazed that I can't detect any lag increase, not to say it's no there, but I must have flicked back and forth 20 times with various games at 4K, so probably around 40ms in total, couldn't see any flickering either, very impressed. I only ever tested it at 1080p and it didn't feel very good, should have tried it at 4K earlier!
BFI shouldn't really add any real latency, it is interpolation that will do it which on both the ZD and the DX are required for 1080 motion. (combination of BFI and interpolation as hinted on the HDTV test reviews)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm in the market for something in the 40" range. Don't really want to go higher if I can. But it has to at least have some of the latest goodies. HDR, high refresh rate, low input lag, etc. If none exists in that size higher is fine. What's the best recommendations out there?

BFI shouldn't really add any real latency, it is interpolation that will do it which on both the ZD and the DX are required for 1080 motion. (combination of BFI and interpolation as hinted on the HDTV test reviews)

I used clear motion which is BFI, and deblur at max, but not quite sure of the differnce with deblur? As it did help content look better but with no dimming,
But it increases the clarity of BFI also.

It's always nice to see an improvement on a TV you've had for ages, but it shows how noticeable lag can be, going from 50-60ms, 40 is the limit.

shockdude

BFI when done correctly should add only a few ms of input lag. The lag comes from the time that the backlight stays black in order to hide the blur from pixel transitions.

BFI when done correctly should add only a few ms of input lag. The lag comes from the time that the backlight stays black in order to hide the blur from pixel transitions.

Not quite sure how they've managed 1080 lines with no visible flickering though, my Sony W9 has some really noticeable flickering with BFI.

vpance

Yeah I have the 902 and it out specs the ZD in every way, bar the ZD has 130 more zones, 512 vs 640, I've said it for ages that the DX is the best LCD you can get for your money.

In Canada it's selling for around $2500 USD.

I think Panny has gone full OLED. Looks like the premium 65" FALD market is going to dry up again. Shame.

gsrjedi

I'm in the market for something in the 40" range. Don't really want to go higher if I can. But it has to at least have some of the latest goodies. HDR, high refresh rate, low input lag, etc. If none exists in that size higher is fine. What's the best recommendations out there?

At that size, you're only option is really the Sony X800D (last years model) or the X800E (this year). HDR (though doesn't get too bright), WCG, but 60 hz IPS panels. You'd have to go up to a 50" to get everything and there are still only a couple models at that size. Samsung KS8000 (last years model), Sony X900E, the 2017 Vizio M Series fits but I don't think it has a 120hz panel, the 2017 TCL P series is $500 for 50" but 60hz & no idea about input lag. The final 2 also have Dolby Vision

watership

Can anyone help me by uploading the SW File(Version 04.31.10) update for LG 55B6?
The one on Lg page keeps giving an error while unzipping all the time :/

Holy shit, someone else with the same problem. I wish I had working file. I have it on usb from a friend but if it touches my PC, the file corrupts. I have no fucking idea anyone else had this problem.

What site are you going to US or Canada?

nillapuddin

Current

TV: Vizio e601i-a3
AV: Denon AVR-1713

Hy9lED4.png

*My Denon fits in the box by literally 2 cm (I built the entertainment center myself)

So I will monitor OLED like Redline suggested, as for receiver Im not really sure what I am supposed to be looking for to purchase

BOOM

D4LBgHL.png

obviously cellphone pics dont do it justice, but damn.

BLACK IS BLACK

Paragon

If you're strobing the entire screen at once, you need to wait for the entire image to be displayed - so that's 1 frame of lag.
If you are using a scanning backlight, you can strobe as the image is drawn, which can reduce latency below 1 frame.

Not quite sure how they've managed 1080 lines with no visible flickering though, my Sony W9 has some really noticeable flickering with BFI.
Probably running at a higher rate than 60Hz; i.e. useless for actual content.

My local Walmart has a LG 49UH60 4K 49" tv on clearance for $350. Good deal? I'm really tempted.

I currently have a 50" 1080p Sharp TV I bought late 2013. I wonder how much I could sell that for.

KevinG

The upscaling in the Xbox One S is impressive. Love it.

Currently watching Monsters University with my daughter and my jaw legit dropped.

Edit: Those colors though.

LDA7IlX.jpg

J-Rzez

It's true what they say.

Once you go OLED, you don't go back.

OLED has the "it" factor if there ever was one, just like high end plasma, and the super-fine pitch tube Sony's. Looking at the Z9 and A1E, the oled just has that factor for example. I can't go back to lcd after OLED for my main TV.

Dave_6

Seeing that Monsters screenshot reminds me that I have SO many Blu-rays that I want to go back and watch on my B6.

KevinG

OLED has the "it" factor if there ever was one, just like high end plasma, and the super-fine pitch tube Sony's. Looking at the Z9 and A1E, the oled just has that factor for example. I can't go back to lcd after OLED for my main TV.

I was underwhelmed at the outset, as my expectations were irrationally set toward everything looking like those LG OLED demos, but with some basic calibrations I have been blown away.

Seeing that Monsters screenshot reminds me that I have SO many Blu-rays that I want to go back and watch on my B6.

I've watched Moana hundreds of times in the past month, and keep begging my daughter to want to watch something else. Haha.

Monsters University sure is pretty, even if I don't love the movie.

La La Land will be our first UHD Bluray watch tonight. We own Arrival too, but after testing out a few scenes, I've already concluded that the dark and dreariness of the film does not lend itself well to 4K/HDR.

Dave_6

I've watched Moana hundreds of times in the past month, and keep begging my daughter to want to watch something else. Haha.

Monsters University sure is pretty, even if I don't love the movie.

La La Land will be our first UHD Bluray watch tonight. We own Arrival too, but after testing out a few scenes, I've already concluded that the dark and dreariness of the film does not lend itself well to 4K/HDR.

La La Land was a blind buy for me and I wound up loving it. Looked great too with great colors. OLED can pull off Arrival very well if you watch it in a pitch dark room like I did, but if your display has a vertical band like mine does that movie will drive you nuts. The band has gotten much better (less visible) on mine since then so I need to watch it again.

KevinG

La La Land was a blind buy for me and I wound up loving it. Looked great too with great colors. OLED can pull off Arrival very well if you watch it in a pitch dark room like I did, but if your display has a vertical band like mine does that movie will drive you nuts. The band has gotten much better (less visible) on mine since then so I need to watch it again.

La La Land was also a blind buy for me. I'm not into musicals, but thought my wife would enjoy it and hope the UHD transfer is done well. Gosling and Stone are good leads, so I'm sure I'll like it.

I've not noticed any banding on my set. Seems flawless, even though I know every panel has its quirks.

The scenes I checked out were very dark, but didn't look like "crushed blacks" as I've seen some people claim about the Xbox One S UHD player. Will test it out in a dark room soon hopefully.

Theonik

In Canada it's selling for around $2500 USD.

I think Panny has gone full OLED. Looks like the premium 65" FALD market is going to dry up again. Shame.
Panasonic is abandoning FALD this year and is moving all their high-end sets to OLED. Which is kind of a shame. The DX902 is also discontinued now so they will only vanish. Sony's in a really good position this year with the only real high-end LCDs on the market and what looks to be a decent OLED. But who knows how that will work out.

Madness

Panasonic is abandoning FALD this year and is moving all their high-end sets to OLED. Which is kind of a shame. The DX902 is also discontinued now so they will only vanish. Sony's in a really good position this year with the only real high-end LCDs on the market and what looks to be a decent OLED. But who knows how that will work out.

People just hear OLED and think it is inherently better. Don't get me wrong, the technology will ultimately prevail, but imagine an LED television with HDMI 2.1, FALD with more zones, over 2500 nits brightness and DCI 100% or more. When you see it fully calibrated, high nit brightness makes HDR look amazing. But then again, maybe no more half measures with LED and full steam ahead with OLED is the only thing that will bring rapid growth and investment. Get more panel makers, improve brightness and color accuracy etc.

Figments

I feel this will be an impossible ask, but I will ask this anyway (and probably receive no replies).

Are there any good 4K UHD TVs between 45 and 50 inches in the price range of $500 and below that are decent for gaming?

Don't really care about screen technology. Those are the exact specifications I'm looking for.

Just saw the Sony A1E in person and it is has the most impressive picture quality I've seen to date! The color gradients and motion are so smooth. It's sexy as hell as well and the tilt is not bothersome. There was a Z9D and an LG E7 nearby and the A1 wins. The X1 extreme chip mixed with OLED is no joke. My B6 will hold me over just fine for a while but I'm excited for the future and more companies working with LG display.

Madness

A few months back someone mentioned it being the 'Sony' tax, but it is now evident Sony has some of the, if not best, image processing capabilities and motion technology in the market. You can still argue whether the 'extra' is worth it, but I am happy that Sony has thrown their hat in the OLED game and like someone else mentioned above, Panasonic as well. Now to get Samsung which does not want to move from LED technology to OLED as well. Get some of their screen technology improving brightness or reflections on OLED's etc.

holygeesus

Banned
I too saw the Sony for the first time yesterday, and although it is indeed a lovely thing, the stand is a deal-breaker for me. What were they thinking? However, for me, the only difference between the new LG range and the A1 is in motion. They look very close on everything else.

I too saw the Sony for the first time yesterday, and although it is indeed a lovely thing, the stand is a deal-breaker for me. What were they thinking? However, for me, the only difference between the new LG range and the A1 is in motion. They look very close on everything else.

The trouble with Sony is that they try to innovate with new speaker technology every few generations, which isn't cheap, and tbh isn't what people who buy those kinds of televisions want! Why on earth would you want to spend another 500-1000 on a useless vibrating speaker when you have Dolby Atmos or even an standard 5.1 setup, obviously haven't learnt from the crazy huge speakers they bolted on to the X900 and 93C.

Also how the hell do you wall mount it?

Theonik

People just hear OLED and think it is inherently better. Don't get me wrong, the technology will ultimately prevail, but imagine an LED television with HDMI 2.1, FALD with more zones, over 2500 nits brightness and DCI 100% or more. When you see it fully calibrated, high nit brightness makes HDR look amazing. But then again, maybe no more half measures with LED and full steam ahead with OLED is the only thing that will bring rapid growth and investment. Get more panel makers, improve brightness and color accuracy etc.
The big hold-up besides panel cost where LG is making progress is that LG bought the RGBW patent from Kodak and aren't licensing it out. There needs to be a major development by other manufacturers to bring these panels to other people and OLED is poorly suited to HDR anyway with LG's white subpixel notably helping with brightness but at the expense of colour accuracy.

The trouble with Sony is that they try to innovate with new speaker technology every few generations, which isn't cheap, and tbh isn't what people who buy those kinds of televisions want! Why on earth would you want to spend another 500-1000 on a useless vibrating speaker when you have Dolby Atmos or even an standard 5.1 setup, obviously haven't learnt from the crazy huge speakers they bolted on to the X900 and 93C.

1) You'd be surprised by how many people who buy TVs, especially these kinds of expensive centrepiece TVs don't buy home theatre setups. It's one thing to have a media room, and another when a lot of these will live in people's living rooms where you might not want a full setup and the less components the better. You also overestimate how much these cost. The X93C speakers are lovely btw. The A1E speaker setup has real benefits from a soundbar or even a full speaker setup though.

2) The stand collapses back onto the display and there is a cover on the back of it that hides standard VESA mounting holes so you can use a standard bracket. It will stick 1-2 inches from the wall but that's standard. Hell the B6 did as well with its bottom bit hiding the electronics.

Kyoufu

I'm not putting speakers on my ceiling tbh. Atmos can go get stuffed.

The big hold-up besides panel cost where LG is making progress is that LG bought the RGBW patent from Kodak and aren't licensing it out. There needs to be a major development by other manufacturers to bring these panels to other people and OLED is poorly suited to HDR anyway with LG's white subpixel notably helping with brightness but at the expense of colour accuracy.

1) You'd be surprised by how many people who buy TVs, especially these kinds of expensive centrepiece TVs don't buy home theatre setups. It's one thing to have a media room, and another when a lot of these will live in people's living rooms where you might not want a full setup and the less components the better. You also overestimate how much these cost. The X93C speakers are lovely btw. The A1E speaker setup has real benefits from a soundbar or even a full speaker setup though.

2) The stand collapses back onto the display and there is a cover on the back of it that hides standard VESA mounting holes so you can use a standard bracket. It will stick 1-2 inches from the wall but that's standard. Hell the B6 did as well with its bottom bit hiding the electronics.

I'm sure the speakers are lovely, but a complete waste for anyone with a half decent setup. My point is absolutely valid though, a lot of R&D goes into this stuff, and anyone can see that the audio that Sony puts into some of their TV's isn't thrown together and stuck on (could be argued for the 93c lol), so a lot of people would be forced into paying for something that'll never be used, I mean I didn't buy the 93c because of the speakers.

I'm not putting speakers on my ceiling tbh. Atmos can go get stuffed.

I don't have ceiling speakers, I mount mine at the corners of the room above the 2 fronts, pointing down to the seating position.

holygeesus

Banned
I am pretty anal when it comes to viewing and fortunately, we are a 2 person family, so I can aim my B6 directly at the couch, but if I bought the Sony the sweet spot would be aiming above our heads. It is a totally bizarre design unless you have your TV on the floor (or wall mount).

As someone who doubted the A1 initially, If I didn't have a 2016 OLED I would certainly buy one over the LG, even with a £500 premium, but only with a regular stand. I don't even think it is something you could correct with a wedge stand or something, as it looks like it would topple over.

KevinG

Having a good sound setup is a chore that i'm never going to tackle so high end TVs having decent sound is a pig plus for me.

This is how I feel about it.

I am still several year from being able to enjoy a decent sound set up. I wouldn't be able to utilize it often enough to warrant the cost and effort to make it all happen.

They (Sony) would sell more of these if they had both options like LG.

Want a display with crap sound since you have a better sound system? Make a cheaper version by $500-1000.

If you want an all in one, get the A1.

Caayn

Sony should indeed offer a cut down version of the A1 without the fancy speakers and a stand that can actually be used without aiming the TV at the ceiling.

The stand of the TV looks nice but it feels like the design was more important than the functionality of it.

KevinG

I haven't found the sound built in to the B6 to be terrible. Certainly serviceable for most of my needs.

Sometimes the audio mix of certain movies fluctuates and is quite loud. Watched La La Land last night and I had to keep the remote handy to turn the volume up and down as needed at least a few times every scene. Kids were sleeping in the rooms right behind the television, but I was surprised how loud it got at such low volumes, in the 7-20 range.

Sony should indeed offer a cut down version of the A1 without the fancy speakers and a stand that can actually be used without aiming the TV at the ceiling.

The stand of the TV looks nice but it feels like the design was more important than the functionality of it.

It's the very reason they stopped bolting on speakers after the 93c! It's better to offer something that's basic in the sound dept, and let people bloody choose, I'm 1 person who wouldn't buy because of it.

I get that they are trying to offer something that stands out, with a vibrating screen etc, but they should let the Picture quality talk instead.

taybul

It's true what they say.

Once you go OLED, you don't go back.

Since switching to OLED watching TV and playing games has been such an amazing and enjoyable experience. Now I know what it must have felt like going from a B&W TV to color.

I had a bit of a scare with my new B6 where I would see random red lines on the inventory screen in Zelda: BOTW. My WiiU was in the HDMI2 input and when I switched it to another, they went away. Wonder if it had anything to do that port being the ARC input: https://gfycat.com/FoolishBadAmericanbobtail

Rodin

The ZD9 being better in most ways is an myth! And a bit irritating, especially as the DX is so much cheaper, more expensive doesn't always mean it has to be better.

DX has better motion by far without resorting to any interpolation, which in turn looks nicer for gaming and with less lag. Which is actually important that they test like that from a gaming perspective.

Even then using interpolation on the DX only adds 12ms to around 47ms vs 100ms on the ZD!

DX covers 98% DCI vs 95-96 ZD
DX has lower input lag for 1080p 444 chroma 35 vs 42, and the DX has input lag in the late 20's for 4K too.
DX has the highest full screen brightness of any TV 800+nits vs 650 ish, also the DX gets up to 1300 nits which is just behind the ZD's 1600 or so.

DX has 4 HDMI HDCP 2.2 ports vs just 2 on the ZD

ZD has 130 more zones and has a bit less blooming basically.

How is it better in most ways?
Yeah Z9D is possibly the most overrated tv ever. Not to say it's not a great set but it would only be worth the praise if it was the same price as the DX902, not so much considering what they're selling it for.

vpance

LG will likely move to QLED next, according to news. I don't think they will ever achieve great yields and high nits with OLED.

Yeah Z9D is possibly the most overrated tv ever. Not to say it's not a great set but it would only be worth the praise if it was the same price as the DX902, not so much considering what they're selling it for.

It really is overpriced, but they probably don't want to make very many of them because they know FALD is niche when most people can't tell or don't care about the difference with a nice edge lit TV anyways.

Chinese TV maker Hisense (owner of Sharp America) is also making high zone FALDs with loaded specs for half the price. They just need to make it over to NA though...

Top Bottom