• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: "Nintendo Direct - promises, promises"

Zia

http://www.edge-online.com/features/nintendo-direct-promises-promises/

Again, this was Nintendo telling its public to wait. “I apologise to those supporting Wii U for the lack of new titles during January and February,” implored Iwata early on in the presentation. “But please understand we will have new titles to offer from March onwards.” It can promise and tease all it wants, but Nintendo’s fiercely loyal fanbase is growing uneasy. Not to mention impatient.

Meanwhile, PC and mobile continue their inexorable rise, and Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. 2013 could be the year in which the videogame landscape is utterly transformed, more quickly and more viciously than anyone could have forecast. When Nintendo finally delivers the games its fanbase wants, will they still be interested?

guit3457

Meanwhile, PC and mobile continue their inexorable rise, and Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. 2013 could be the year in which the videogame landscape is utterly transformed, more quickly and more viciously than anyone could have forecast. When Nintendo finally delivers the games its fanbase wants, will they still be interested?

LOL

Yes, they will.....

Penguin

"Nintendo is offering their fans promises"

"Sony and MS will totally deliver on the nothing they've announced so far."

Seems kind of odd.

I think Edge should be grateful that Nintendo showed any AAA games TBH. The realistic expectations going into this was "MAYBE" Bayonetta 2 LOL. We got a lot more than that. Sony and Microsoft will have their own problems when launch comes.....

LOL

Yes, they will.....

Yes, the die hards will. But those are a small group and shrinking.

That said it's funny how look far enough and you will find almost any spin on anything. EG, Baltimore beats SF 42-0 in SB, someone will somewhere write how Baltimore is doomed or something.

Because basically the Nintendo direct seemed pretty good from what I followed, but here we have an article basically with the view it sucked

kunonabi

Nintendo promises X
Sony promises The Last Guardian.

At this point I'll gladly take Nintendo's word over the rest.

Coolwhip

Banned
Nintendo doesn't mention future games: "Where is the long term vision!?"
Nintendo shows future games: "Promises promises"

Ugh.

Telling us to wait is what every fucking company does in this industry.

The problem Nintendo has had these past two years is their dev-reveal-release policies didnt tell us what we were waiting for.

Tiktaalik

Nintendo has to do it this way to put the Wii U on best footing against Sony/MSFT. At E3 they'll be showing off their 2nd gen titles from their top tier internal developers when MSFT and Sony are showing off their initial demoesque forays into next gen development.

Ithil

"Meanwhile, PC and mobile continue their inexorable rise, and Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. 2013 could be the year in which the videogame landscape is utterly transformed, more quickly and more viciously than anyone could have forecast. When Nintendo finally delivers the games its fanbase wants, will they still be interested?"

Yes.

GCX

I'm happy Iwata acknowledged that they've made some fuck ups and promised to correct them and also showed how they're going to do it. I see nothing wrong with that.

2349831-whatswrong.gif

amaron11

Banned
"Nintendo is offering their fans promises"

"Sony and MS will totally deliver on the nothing they've announced so far."

Seems kind of odd.

You said it better than I could.

What is odd to me is that this seems to be the prevailing thought.

Margalis

Banned
After watching ND the first thing I thought was "oh boy I can't wait to play some more mobile infinite runners and Scrabble clones!"

Clearly Nintendo is feeling quite desperate. Edge is right. Hopefully now Nintendo has gotten the message loud and clear that the Wii U has no chance of being the Wii, so put the focus on the core. Too late most likely to win back all the core they lost last gen, but if it means fewer party games and more core titles, good.

Wow edge trolls fast! Though I think kotaco trolled first with ps3 dev kit news.

How is that in any way a troll?

Nintendo literally gave us things we knew were coming were coming. Windu Waker HD is really the only moderately surprising thing there.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm happy Iwata acknowledged that they've made some fuck ups and promised to correct them and also showed how they're going to do it. I see nothing wrong with that.

But how many times now has Iwata apologized for stuff? It seems like we are always commending Iwata for being able to admit fuck ups, but do they actually learn. Didn't 3DS almost have this exact problem except that it also had terrible launch games in addition to a huge drought?

I am excited after that Nintendo Direct, but I feel as thought I've said "Good for Iwata for admitting they made mistakes" too many times now.

Kimawolf

Yes it sounds like they are saying "Nintendo tells it fans to wait for the goods, but gamers can play amazing games on mobile devices right now! and soon Sony and MS will make their promises, which will blow Nintendo's promises out the water"

Gaming has will always be a investment in the future if you get a platform at launch or near launch.

Kimawolf

Nintendo literally gave us things we knew were coming were coming. Windu Waker HD is really the only moderately surprising thing there.

you expected SMTxFire Emblem? Seems kinda.. out of nowhere. And no one REALLY expected to see Monolith Soft's game till like yesterday.

But how many times now has Iwata apologized for stuff? It seems like we are always commending Iwata for being able to admit fuck ups, but do they actually learn. Didn't 3DS almost have this exact problem except that it also had terrible launch games in addition to a huge drought?

I am excited after that Nintendo Direct, but I feel as thought I've said "Good for Iwata for admitting they made mistakes" too many times now.

Too many to keep his job at most places.

JDSN

Banned
This is probably the reason why Nintendo created the NDs and Iwata Asks in the first place, why bother with a shitty middleman that will give this kind of reporting while fawning over Assassin's Creed 3.2: Haytman's Gravity Mix? I dont see in any way how can a new Yoshi game be considered "fanservice".

Miles X

Can't imagine any Nintendo fan isn't happy with todays slew of announcements.

But in hindsight they've changed little, we knew they were coming so did the 'fanbase'

Ithil

The disconnect between "Nintendo only offered promises" and "when this year Sony/MS promise to..." is jarring.

A two month drought it's nothing compares to the 9 month one on 3DS. We got rayman on february anyway.

Sandfox

This is kinda funny on Edge's part.

Clearly Nintendo is feeling quite desperate. Edge is right. Hopefully now Nintendo has gotten the message loud and clear that the Wii U has no chance of being the Wii, so put the focus on the core. Too late most likely to win back all the core they lost last gen, but if it means fewer party games and more core titles, good.

How is that in any way a troll?

I think its more about the way they phrased it that's getting to people.

Top Bottom