• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How Forza overtook Need for Speed to become the world's biggest racing IP"

gtj1092

Forza is the #1 racing IP in the same way that whatever blockbuster released this week is the #1 movie in America.

You rate them based on how they're selling now, not how well they sold across history.

Then the assertion that the racing genre hasn't contracted is false if the best selling series can only manage 2.5 million in sales in a single entry.

And it's not as if Forza sales have increased dramatically if at all. The other series have simply stopped releasing at a consistent rate.

I guess I don't get the point of the headline. It's one thing to talk about NFS if Forza sales shot up and surpassed it but it seems more that NFS simply slowed down.

While growing sales for Forza is awesome the title of the article is a general assertion when Gran turismo and Mario kart have more casual acknowledgement.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Because the title doesn't say (nor does the article) that they are specifically talking about this gen exclusively. So Mario Kart doesn't count because it's a kart racer (weird but ok), and Gran Turismo doesn't count because there's been no gen 8 release yet. So essentially this is like when American sports franchises call their trophy victors "world champions". So play by yourself and crown yourself king.
They actually don't need to disqualify Mario Kart for being a kart racer.

The current generation consists of the PS4, XB1, and Switch, as this article was published in March.

The current generation consists of the PS4, XB1, and Switch, and this article was published in March.
So should we count MK when deluxe comes out?
Anyway Horizon is the best racing series out for current gen by far so deserved for the increasing sales.

I don't think any racing game this gen has sold more than MK8. Maybe they mean all Forza's this gen combined?

correct

If it is written current biggest racing IP, sure.

But it isn't.

sure, but they also did not write biggest IP in terms of lifetime sales.
so the titel is not incorrect.

why not assume the obvious one they meant, that is correct, when there is space for interpretation?

The current generation consists of the PS4, XB1, and Switch, as this article was published in March.

even including Wii U and MK8 at 8.26m units sold this should be fine
Forza Motorsport 5, 6 (and Apex)
Forza Horizon 2, 3 (and Fast & Furious)

plenty of games, to sell a lot of units.
especially all those bundle copies and cheap sales after years

Does it?

Wii U was Nintendo's console last generation. 3DS was Nintendo's handheld last generation. Switch is a clean break from both, so wouldn't it be the start of a new generation?

People always say Forza surpassed this or that franchise without providing hard numbers to prove it most of the time. I am pretty sure the last NFS did over 2.5 million.

I mean, Forza is rated e so… no reason why the kids cant crack on all the assists and rewind and play it!

Maybe I should rephrase my statement since people are getting confused for some reason. The Mario Kart franchise is not developed for the racing game enthusiast. Meanwhile Turn 10 goes through great lengths to try and make racing as realistic as possible (especially in their motorsports series).

Aside from the fact that both games are in the same genre, they operate in totally different realms.

It would be like comparing ultra sf4 to Dive Kick.

blakep267

People always say Forza surpassed this or that franchise without providing hard numbers to prove it most of the time. I am pretty sure the last NFS did over 2.5 million.
Why do you need numbers. This is coming straight from Microsofts mouth when they put out PR. They aren't lying when they make a statement like best selling racer this gen.

Lying about stuff like that is a very big deal and I don't remember seeing any asterisks

klier

Mario Kart and Gran Turismo are infinitely bigger.

It's just that they don't release a new game in the series every half a year.

Why do you need numbers. This is coming straight from Microsofts mouth when they put out PR. They aren't lying when they make a statement like best selling racer this gen.

No, but it's a meaningless statement. PR fluff.

cooldawn

This quote is a peach and describes the virtue of Turn 10 and Polyphony Digital:

Dan Greenawalt
"I get asked a lot about competitors and the genre and what have you. [For us] there's hardly any inspiration coming from that space - it's all coming from our longer term vision."

We should all now agree both developers have there own motivations for creative direction and content. Different priorities for different spaces.

How many units has GT shifted on the current gen, how many units has Forza shifted on current gen.

Mental gymnastics I know, but...........
Well...that's not really fair for four reasons:
- the article refers to the franchise as a $1bn business
- you cite a metric yet you said it's discussion is metric dependent
- Gran Turismo hasn't even launched this generation yet (fair comparison?)
- no matter what...Gran Turismo hit the $1bn club years ago

Sorry. Just observation fella.

riotous

Banned
Gran Turismo series is bigger as far as fan-base goes; but MS being able to literally churn out a Forza game every year makes it at least close as far as IP value goes.

I'd still say GT is the biggest racing IP; but Forza is not that far behind.

Rodelero

In the particular context of Forza v Need for Speed, it feels as valid to say that Need for Speed has gone backwards as to say that Forza has gone forward. Even so, Forza Horizon 3 is an impressive game, though, given how good the original game is, it shouldn't be that surprising. I still find the level of praise Forza Horizon 3 receives a little hard to understand, though. The game just feels so confused to me, a weird mixture of simulation and arcade that doesn't satisfy me as someone who tends to enjoy pretty much all racing games from the most hardcore to the most arcade. The game's size is kind of the most impressive thing. There's tons to do, there tons of cars, and the world is large and beautiful. The driving model works well too, but something just doesn't feel right when it comes to the races and events you do, whether in single player or multiplayer. I just don't find racing in this game exciting, and the fact it has been so well received concerns me for the future of arcade racing games.

Despite GT selling better, I could see the argument for Forza being the biggest name in racing from an industry viewpoint.

GT hasn't pushed the genre forward since GT4 and has been a stumbling mess of mis-management ever since.

MadMod

I can agree with that. Having not even owned an Xbox One, GT is taking far too long to reach us ( even if it has a bigger audience) and any future for Driveclub was beaten with a club by Sony. It's about consistency and Forza has that.

Oersted

Thats a bit like calling Final Fantasy the biggest RPG IP because Pokemon is not yet on Switch.

Are people gonna read the article also? There is some nice insight in that.

Don't be silly. Why would anyone do that when they could just read the title and complain about that instead.

Thanks for being a great poster, Theorry. I always look forward to reading your posts and threads.

Theorry

Don't be silly. Why would anyone do that when they could just read the title and complain about that instead.

Thanks for being a great poster, Theorry. I always look forward to reading your posts and threads.

Thanks. :)
My fault with the thread title maybe. If i can i always put down the title of the article. Seems most fair to the source. Guess this one is maybe abit iffy i see now. Guess i dont really follow the numbers, wich is bigger etc. If a mod wants to change it. Its fine by me. :)

EGM1966

Did they put biggest in quotes?

I mean it's been the most prolific this gen but objectively unless we're getting into weasel criteria this is wrong.

Mario Kart is clearly a bigger IP and while it's been absent since GT6 Gran Turismo is a bigger IP.

They seem more, they're more known and they'll overtake and gains Forza has made with multiple lower selling entries each time they land a big title.

This is a PR centric article. There's some good stuff there too and the games are very good but this is just setting the franchise up for valid "oh no it isn't" complaints regarding the title and hook.

Oh well game media gotta have the click bait title I guess.

Who is the 'biggest' football team in the world?

Man Utd
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Juventus

What do you base the 'biggest' on? Date they were founded, number of trophies, average attendance, number of shirts sold, world wide reach, turnover of revenue, profits etc.

To be fair, its a mature of all of the above and much like Forza is selling the most, receiving the best scores, being one of the most played racers, having its own eSports gig etc I think the title is more than justified.

But, its a thread that puts an Xbox game against its peers and also brings the series' sales 'partly' into the discussion so of course it was going to turn into a shit show of a thread.

As for the article itself there were lots of neat insights into how T10 and Playground work and collaborate together, so it was a great read.

Thanks for posting it OP :)

Man Utd
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Juventus

What do you base the 'biggest' on? Date they were founded, number of trophies, average attendance, number of shirts sold, world wide reach, turnover of revenue, profits etc.

To be fair, its a mature of all of the above and much like Forza is selling the most, receiving the best scores, being one of the most played racers, having its own eSports gig etc I think the title is more than justified.

But, its a thread that puts an Xbox game against its peers and also brings the series' sales 'partly' into the discussion so of course it was going to turn into a shit show of a thread.

As for the article itself there were lots of neat insights into how T10 and Playground work and collaborate together, so it was a great read.

As it relates to this thread I'd go off the monetary value of the club, so Real Madrid.

Man Utd
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Juventus

thanks so much for this post :)
but why did you put Juventus in there, they're not the biggest in any category :p

Strootman

Man Utd
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Juventus

Lol at juventus

Septic360

Banned
Forza has been king of racers for years. T10's stumble with Forza 5 aside, the Motorsport and the now frankly incredible Horizon series makes them the biggest racing outfit in videogames as far as quality is concerned.

It remains to be seen if GT Sport can dethrone Forza in terms of critical reception. In terms of sales it will obviously dominate with ease.

Forza hasn't beaten any sales records or even been around as long, but it is easily the most prominent racing franchise out there right now. Yearly releases, like it or not makes sure it's always fresh in people's memory, and the biennial release cycle between Motorsport and Horizon has helped out a good deal.

Especially Horizon has revitalized both the franchise and genre, imo. Horizon 3 winning a lot of Racer of the year awards. I don't even play the franchise that much, but it is the only one out of Halo/Gears/Forza that is still pushing forward instead of simply growing stale.

If I think of a racing game now, Forza is the first one to come to mind, not even MK or GT. Hell, GT has been MIA for a while (although I'm sure the next installment will move a plenty amount of copies, as with all the other ones)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
In terms of pure sales numbers, is Gran Turismo not technically the biggest?

I think Forza has set a quality bar Gran Turismo has yet to match as an IP overall, but in terms of sales, I though GT was still bigger.

I mean Turn 10 are consistently pumping out a high quality iteration every 2 years like clockwork, while Polyphony take...however many years? To put out a bare bones, just very ok game?

Brenal

i couldnt believe the sales number of the NFS franchise but apparently the fist installment came out in 1994! and yearly installments were coming out during an appreciable amount of time , for some reason i always thought its was an early mid 2000's ip.

cakely

hey guys i clicked the link and apparently there are some words under the title

I assure you, I read the article. The title of the article is implies that they might mention what being the "world's biggest racing IP" implies, but it doesn't.

The closest it comes is this quote:

The performance of Horizon 3 fired the Forza franchise into that exclusive $1bn club, which it has achieved over 9 games and 11 years.

EGM1966

hey guys i clicked the link and apparently there are some words under the title

There are and they're not bad but they don't really relate to the stupid title which is what's causing the issue.

Maybe if the article had an actual title that made sense for it's content this wouldn't happen.

Top Bottom