• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which they believe the best way of achieving is by leaving the UK, so what are they waiting for?

They lost and are trying to make the best of it, there won't be another referendum for a long, long time - unless the UK votes to leave the EU. Obviously anything david cameron presented short of independance would have been attacked.

Cameron is only morally obilgated to give them whatever the smith comission suggested. If the Scotland bill meets that, he should ignore them. if it does not, the SNP have every right to complain. I've not read the scotland bill and compared it to the smith commision report so I can't comment on that score.

Nicktendo86

I dunno, I don't believe the SNP for one second when they say they don't want a second referendum anytime soon. As soon as they feel they might win one I am sure they will press for another one.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I don't believe the SNP for one second when they say they don't want a second referendum anytime soon. As soon as they feel they might win one I am sure they will press for another one.

I think the first opportunity they'll seriously push for one is after the 2016 Holyrood elections, if they (or separatist parties in general) win a majority. If they do win that majority, they'll be fully entitled to do so; it will have been a part of their manifesto.

MrChom

Which they believe the best way of achieving is by leaving the UK, so what are they waiting for?

Because they know that at the moment there is not the appetite, or the money for another referendum (not just directly, but indirectly in the form of lost trade). If they can't have independence then Devo Max is an acceptable midway point....after all the more devolution they can get the more it puts them in a better position for the next referendum (10-20 years, I reckon).

Politics is not just about charging headlong at an ideology full tilt all the time.

Politics is the art of the possible.

They lost and are trying to make the best of it, there won't be another referendum for a long, long time - unless the UK votes to leave the EU.

Non issue, unless their private opinion polls showed a large majority for independence because of the UK voting to leave, they still wouldn't call one over the issue of EU membership.

They won't risk losing a second referendum over Europe.

..besides, the chances of us voting to leave the EU is pretty small.

Sturgeon's real intention is hold another referendum sometime in 2020-2025 after including a referendum commitment in their 2020 Scottish election manifesto.

Spaghetti

These days you will find just as many 'privileged' MP's on the Labour benches as you will on the Conservatives.
well it's certainly a good thing that labour isn't the be all and end all of 'the left'

especially since their new platform is looking to be more tory than the tories

I think people are allowed to want more than one thing. The SNP probably most want to leave Scotland, but, if that can't be acheived because there isn't sufficient support for it, they'd then still prefer a highly autonomous Scotland to a less autonomous Scotland. This was one of the things which they were (overwhelmingly) elected on the basis of and thus have a great deal of support for, so calling them out on this just makes you look a little silly.

Bloody hell! If even the SNP don't want to live in Scotland...

Kuros

I lived in Cardiff for three years after uni, and now that I think about it I don't think I ever met a single Scot there! So I don't think there is a great amount of Scotland -> Wales migration.

No idea why though. Wales is great. And you can buy a house for literally next to nothing.

I'm half scottish and live just outside of Cardiff. Hah.

*I came via Surrey then Bristol though.

Lirlond

Really considering running for the Green party city councillor position. They're asking for candidates and I'm thinking to myself what is there to lose.

Anyone have any experience with local government?

Really considering running for the Green party city councillor position. They're asking for candidates and I'm thinking to myself what is there to lose.

Anyone have any experience with local government?

Yes, loads all be it in Germany.
I've held various positions at the local green party.

Do it!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He was on question time once during the election campaign and sounded very sozzled. Terrible news.

That was because his father had been hospitalized right before the show.

Genuinely sad, he was one of my favourite MPs and a good man.

Absolutely gutted that drink probably got to him in the end. For all of the anger directed at the Liberal Democrats last month for everything they have done in coalition, Charles Kennedy was outside of all that and did not deserve to lose his seat over it. That could not have helped him one bit.

Sad news. :(

operon

Really sad news, awful that he couldn't get away from the drink, one of the few politicians I had respect for, may he rest in peace

Mr. Sam

It sounds a bit silly but Charles Kennedy was genuinely the man who got me interested in politics. If there was one Liberal Democrat who didn't deserve to lose his seat, it was him. There wasn't one time I listened to him that I didn't think he was wonderful. The news of his death this morning made me a little bit teary-eyed.

Par Score

I think that MPs should be paid more than they are, personally.

As you can probably tell, I'm not much of a supporter of austerity.

Oh, I'm not necessarily against MPs being paid more.

Ideally I'd link their salary to some multiple of what you'd earn if you were in full-time employment on the minimum wage. Handily, their current salary is about 5 times the minimum wage equivalent, so that would be an easy starting point, or we could be generous and go a little higher at 6 times which would bring them above what their new salary will be.

This would give them a direct incentive to make sure work pays all the way down to the bottom, although it still frees them up to smack around those on benefits, so it's hardly perfect.

Volotaire

Great OP! A bit disappointed with some of the posts on the last thread, I'll try and write something more detailed later.

Nicktendo86

Fascinating insight into the labour campaign, vote labour and win a microwave has to go on 2020 posters!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/03/undoing-of-ed-miliband-and-how-labour-lost-election

Miliband was so distraught that he shut himself in his hotel room, where a series of people, including his wife Justine, joined him and tried to offer some reassurance – pointing out that the omission had not featured prominently in the BBC political editor Nick Robinson’s report on the Six O’Clock News.

But Miliband knew the story of his “forgetting the deficit” would prove devastating. “He was really upset,” the speech writer recalled. “He pushes himself very hard – he was very, very angry with himself even before he knew it was going to be the main story out of the speech. We tried to cheer him up, but even then he was too upset. He did not come to the celebratory party, he just did not want to come out of his room.”

On 15 May, a week before the vote, Miliband met with David Axelrod – Barack Obama’s chief campaign adviser, who had signed on as a consultant to the Labour campaign for an astronomical fee – at Corrigan’s, an upscale Mayfair restaurant. During the meal, Beales was fielding calls from Miliband, who was still asking him to think of a slogan for the remaining week of the European election campaign; Axelrod was appalled by the low quality of the ideas being discussed, which he derisively characterised as “Vote Labour and win a microwave”.

At 9.55pm on election night, in Labour party headquarters at Brewers Green in Westminster, the party felt that it had charted a clear, if perilous, path to power. The battle that night would be whether the Liberal Democrats would choose to partner with Labour or the Conservatives.

Then 10 o’clock struck. “There were two TV screens – one on Sky, one on the BBC,” a senior campaign aide said. The first words came in, announcing that the exit poll had found the Tories would be the largest party. “Yep, I was expecting that. Anything else would be a surprise,” the aide recalled thinking at the time. “Then the seats came up. Total silence. The shock was just awful. That exit poll will be seared in my brain for ever.” Bell and Livermore stared at each other in disbelief, as the whole room put their hands to their mouths in shock.

Harriet Harman was waiting outside Millbank TV studios to give her initial reaction. None of the scripts she had been given anticipated this disaster. Miliband’s senior advisers huddled for the next hour, trying to decipher the stated results.

“For the exit poll seat projections to be right, Labour had to be wiped out in Scotland, the Liberal Democrats would have to be wiped out in their Tory marginals and we would have to done really badly in the English marginals,” the campaign aide recalled. “We thought we might hold seven to 10 seats in Scotland, we had no intelligence on the Tory-Lib Dem marginals and throughout the day we had good reports in the English marginals. We thought that surely one of these three must be wrong. It was a form of collective denial.”

kharma45

Royal Mail stake to be sold off, George Osborne announces

The government's remaining 30% stake in the Royal Mail is to be sold off to help pay down the deficit, George Osborne has said.

The chancellor said the shares - currently valued at £1.5bn - would be sold when ministers could be sure they would get value for money.

He also announced £3bn in efficiency savings in the current financial year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33004664

pulsemyne

Royal Mail stake to be sold off, George Osborne announces

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33004664
Well I for one am shocked that this government would sell off the remaining part of the Royal mail. I mean why would they sell off a company that makes hundreds of millions of profit and will do for a long time. Oh yeah that's right it's because they are tories and have a laughable short term mentality when it comes to economics. Also their friends will get nice and rich.

Volotaire

Fascinating insight into the labour campaign, vote labour and win a microwave has to go on 2020 posters!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/03/undoing-of-ed-miliband-and-how-labour-lost-election

Thanks for the article. A great insight not just into the last weeks of the election, but also to the last couple of years until the end. Having been part of a number of society committees this year, I now fully understand how political divisions (although on much smaller scale and magnitude!) can form so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom