• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How Forza overtook Need for Speed to become the world's biggest racing IP"

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
That's all well and good, but since I cant change GIs clickbait article title for them I can at least enter the topic and discuss the actual article itself. Or at least *should* be able to.

I mean, you can tell right away from the first few responses that it was the typical read thread title > post about thread title > leave thread
Not all of us. I read the entire article to see how the title was validated. So it was see thread title > read article > discuss thread title > stay in thread. But I've got that out of my system. I was under the impression they meant "biggest franchise" period. For this gen of releases they are correct, in terms of games released and combined total sales. And Forza has always been one of the most critically acclaimed series of games anyways.

;)

ozuaENS.jpg
Racing games where your car doesn't spin out from a banana peel. lol

jett

D-Member
Well, unlike a certain other racing developer, they're at least putting out games on a consistent basis.
Seriously wtf. Even poorly recieved GT6 sold 5.5mil. copies. Never mentioned GT's massive presence in motorsports in the article. God this is an advert clearly.

And GT5 sold 12 million. 17 if you add up Prologue.

That's a decline.

And they haven't released anything in four years. GT is literally a non-event this generation.

Chris1

EA tried to shoehorn NFS into an open world racing game. Forza and Forza Horizon were built from the ground up to be a racing sim and an open world arcade racer.

Changing developers and killing off studios didn't help. Changing from outlaw racing to street racing to open world racing to street racing doesn't help. We know what to expect from both Forza titles. I have no idea what the next NFS will be about and when it will come out.

And then there's release gaps. Some years there's a NFS game. Some years there's nothing. I think there's a NFS game coming out this year. No idea. On the other hand, I know that there will be a Forza game in September.

EA couldn't have handled the NFS franchise any worse than if they had intentionally fucked it up.
NFS is every 2 years since Rivals. There will be a NFS this year.

Smart move too, if they released it during a Forza Horizon year it'd just get overshadowed these days. At least releasing it in Motorsport's year it stands a chance.

Mariokart is not sim or even semi realistic. It's a racing game for kids. So of course the writer is not going to include it in the discussion. Why are people being disingenuous about this?

DocSeuss

The gulf in quality between Forza and literally every other racing franchise is too vast.

I don't see anyone catching up with Forza at this point in time, unless someone drops, like, CD Projekt's The Fast & The Furious (feat. Playground on Driving Mechanics)

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Mariokart is not sim or even semi realistic. It's a racing game for kids. So of course the writer is not going to include it in the discussion. Why are people being disingenuous about this?
So because it's a racing game 'for kids', it no longer qualifies as a racing game? lol

gt6 isn't a current gen game and released on a console with an install base mutliple times that of the xbox one

omg.

i'm not even going to reply anymore, i was just pointing out the people scoffing at the title because gt... exists? were silly.

Really? Here's the title:

R2Euqk8.png

Gran Turismo series has sold 76 million combined.

Now if it said that Forza is the biggest racing (simulation) IP this gen, they are right. You are the one doing the scoffing.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Because the writer included need for speed, which is also not a sim. Car game where police can shock your car and holicoptors throw road spikes at you count, but banana peels some how takes you out of the conversation?

I'm pretty sure Halo, COD sold more than the Half Life series. So no.

And point still stands, plus it's not like the Gran Turismo IP is dead.

the point doesn't still stand.

either mario kart is the best selling racing ip, in which case it is also the biggest racing ip of this gen, or mario kart doesn't count, gt is the biggest racing ip ever and then forza is the biggest racing ip of this gen.

which is absolutely basis for this title, because forza has actually released in this gen.
did you see the (simulation) bracket I put there for a reason.
okay, so -
......lol. Goalposts being shifted as we speak.

So forza isn't a game for kids? Video games aren't games for kids? Grow up man

Falchion

I've definitely become a Forza focused gamer this gen, I've bought 5, 6, Horizon 2, and Horizon 3 and they've all been fantastic. I'm really looking forward to whatever they end up launching alongside Scorpio which I will assume is Motorsport 7.

the point doesn't still stand.

either mario kart is the best selling racing ip, in which case it is also the biggest racing ip of this gen, or mario kart doesn't count, gt is the biggest racing ip ever and then forza is the biggest racing ip of this gen.

which is absolutely basis for this title, because forza has actually released in this gen.

okay, so -

Read back the title that I have conveniently captured from the site to you. If you want to say Mario Kart is the biggest racing IP? Sure! I'd accept that.

But I'm just pointing our Forza is neither the biggest racing IP, or even when it comes to simulation based racing games, which means the headline is wrong.

But the headline writer clearly didn't mean simulation because they wouldn't have compared it to NEED FOR SPEED...

Then if you want to add arcade racers to the mix, it's Mario Kart.

Chris1

According to wiki (I know,but they have sources for it all ), NFS is at 150M, Mario Kart is at 110M

If people are gonna argue franchises, NFS is still the biggest racing game

Read back the title that I have conveniently captured from the site to you. If you want to say Mario Kart is the biggest racing IP? Sure! I'd accept that.

But I'm just pointing our Forza is neither the biggest racing IP, or even when it comes to simulation based racing games, which means the headline is wrong.
then the headline is wrong, but not because of GT, which people have constantly brought up in this thread.

mreddie

EA has botched up the series recently, Rivals was Hot Pursuit 3 with light customization but then people wanted Underground so came NFS 2015 but always online was latched on to that which didn't help.

Plus the taking a year off thing kinda doesn't help when Forza jumps back and forth between Horizon and main Forza.

I mean, Forza is rated e so… no reason why the kids cant crack on all the assists and rewind and play it!

Sydle

According to wiki (I know,but they have sources for it all ), NFS is at 150M, Mario Kart is at 110M

If people are gonna argue franchises, NFS is still the biggest racing game

Wow, I had no idea.

Makes me wonder if I should play one.

I thought Mario kart is the biggest racing IP.

That title is wrong on many levels. Gran Turismo is the world's biggest racing ip by far ..

Mario kart is bigger than GT that is bigger than Forza.

Or did I miss something?

Need for Speed is bigger than GT or Mario Kart with 150m+ unit sales
The title clearly states how Forza become bigger. bigger in terms of currently outselling any other racing franchise. presumably this generation. that's a statement even Microsoft themself made. They do not talk about sold more units ever. Mario Kart, GT and NFS all have a huge head start

Really? Here's the title:

R2Euqk8.png

Gran Turismo series has sold 76 million combined.

Now if it said that Forza is the biggest racing (simulation) IP this gen, they are right. You are the one doing the scoffing.

that is exactly what they said. at least meant
you guys just have to read it, correctly

same like saying Uncharted became a bigger IP than Halo, because the last games sold more

EA has botched up the series recently, Rivals was Hot Pursuit 3 with light customization but then people wanted Underground so came NFS 2015 but always online was latched on to that which didn't help.

Plus the taking a year off thing kinda doesn't help when Forza jumps back and forth between Horizon and main Forza.
I think having forza come out the way it does was a great idea for the series, though. the two branches are different enough that it avoids the fatigue of normal yearly releases like assassin's creed etc

It is crazy what happened to NFS though.

Forza is the #1 racing IP in the same way that whatever blockbuster released this week is the #1 movie in America.

You rate them based on how they're selling now, not how well they sold across history.

Jumeira

Banned
Greatest racing game of all time, i couldnt be happier for Playground games and Turn 10. What a uplifting, refreshing story of success, i can only imagine how Forza Horizon 4 will look like on Scorpio.

As a massive fan of PGR & Rallisport (best rally game ever) FH3 is the game that satisfies that itch these games left behind.

Wow, I had no idea.

Makes me wonder if I should play one.

No, I love racing games and all kinds of racing games and... no. The few good ones feel too dated by now, unless you want to play it more from an educative gaming history perspective.

Wait for the next one, I think they are learning and have a good foundation in some aspects from the last game.

Need for Speed is bigger than GT or Mario Kart with 150m+ unit sales
The title clearly states how Forza become bigger. bigger in terms of currently outselling any other racing franchise. presumably this generation. that's a statement even Microsoft themself made. They do not talk about sold more units ever. Mario Kart, GT and NFS all have a huge head start

that is exactly what they said. at least meant
you guys just have to read it, correctly

I don't think any racing game this gen has sold more than MK8. Maybe they mean all Forza's this gen combined?

Sydle

No, I love racing games and all kinds of racing games and... no. The few good ones feel too dated by now, unless you want to play it more from an educative gaming history perspective.

Wait for the next one, I think they are learning and have a good foundation in some aspects from the last game.

Thanks. I can wait for the next one. : )

Top Bottom