• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

Huff

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I very much doubt that.

Why wouldn't they push it out as soon as possible? Go the Activision route and put out one Rare kinect sports game a year. Until you run out of doable sports.

Back in the day, Rare would put out multiple games a year.

Mael

BroHuffman said:
Why wouldn't they push it out as soon as possible? Go the Activision route and put out one Rare kinect sports game a year. Until you run out of doable sports.

I guess that's the reason why Kinect Sports games won't be even a footnote in motion control games while people will remember even WiiSport Resort....
hint : brand fatigue

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If it is true that Rare's faith relies on the success of Kinect Sports 2 then I really REALLY hope that it does well because the first one is a very good "casual" game that has a ton of that rare-charm. And, while Rare's output has not been up to usually standards since leaving Nintendo, Viva Pinata was a great game and I would love to see more like it on the NEW 360 (Kinect) considering titles like that finally have a chance of succeeding with the new found casual market.

speaking of which, a new Viva would be amazing with Kinect controls!

cabel

This morning I woke up with a thought: at what point do I let go and consider Rare truly "dead" and something completely different now?

I think, for me, it's when Leigh Loveday inevitably leaves, since he's really been the public facing "voice" of the company for so long -- so much of Rare's "personality" comes from him.

You? (Or have you already declared Rare "dead" in your mind?)

Mael

cabel said:
This morning I woke up with a thought: at what point do I let go and consider Rare truly "dead" and something completely different now?

I think, for me, it's when Leigh Loveday inevitably leaves, since he's really been the public facing "voice" of the company for so long -- so much of Rare's "personality" comes from him.

Me?
Since my fav games from them range between Monster Max, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, snakes rattle n roll and PerfectDark/Goldeneye I can safely say that they're deader than spaceships caught in a supernova

[Nintex]

BroHuffman said:

With the lead art director moving to 343i to work on Halo, a new studio director and a new head of development(?) or whatever the Sumo Digital dude is doing I think it's going to take a while for stuff to get into gear again. They pretty much completely replaced the top layer of the studio(again) and restructured everything(again) and during that process they replaced the art-team with contract positions. If they just started on something I doubt they're be able to finish it within 6 months and have it done by September. (which is when your game 'should' be done if you want to make the November holiday slot.)

Huff

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Hell yeah, I would be all over that.

A Viva Kinect seems like a very likely game.

Or even update the original with Kinect controls and re-bundle it? Go the Sony route and slap motion controls on regular games it would work with. That can't be too hard, right?

[Nintex said:
]With the lead art director moving to 343i to work on Halo, a new studio director and a new head of development(?) or whatever the Sumo Digital dude is doing I think it's going to take a while for stuff to get into gear again. They pretty much completely replaced the top layer of the studio(again) and restructured everything(again) and during that process they replaced the art-team with contract positions. If they just started on something I doubt they're be able to finish it within 6 months and have it done by September. (which is when your game 'should' be done if you want to make the November holiday slot.)

Didn't know all this shit was happening. Guess Microsoft is going to need some 3rd party studios to step it up for this holiday to sell kinects.

TheOddOne

[Nintex] said:
With the lead art director moving to 343i to work on Halo, a new studio director and a new head of development(?) or whatever the Sumo Digital dude is doing I think it's going to take a while for stuff to get into gear again. They pretty much completely replaced the top layer of the studio(again) and restructured everything(again) and during that process they replaced the art-team with contract positions. If they just started on something I doubt they're be able to finish it within 6 months and have it done by September. (which is when your game 'should' be done if you want to make the November holiday slot.)
Yeah, your right on the money. You forgot the senior guy that Microsoft that moved from US to Rare.

cabel said:

Rare's decline was drawn out, so it's hard to say, but I think their most recent site redesign was the final nail in the coffin. At that point, they lost what made them so appealing; their character. And that's why I actually want to see Leigh Loveday throw in the towel and move onto something else. He's wasted on modern Rare.

TheOddOne

I might be dropping some bomb here, but Sergey Rakmanov use to be a Senior artist at Rare for 7 years and he posted these intresting things in his portfolio:
Sundown 2008

sundown_col2_med.jpg
sundown_col1_med.jpg

Kameo 2008

kameo_col1_med.jpg
kameo_col2_med.jpg

Fantasy 2006

fantasy_col3_med.jpg
fantasy_col2_med.jpg

Trainer 2010

trainer_zb_med.jpg
The showreel show more stuff.

:(

NEO0MJ

cabel said:

Rare was dead to me as soon as they left Nintendo. Of course that was when I was an angry 13 year old fanboy. For now I still have hope that Rare might have a spark left and gonna wait to see their next two games. If both end up as Kinect games in the style of Kinect Sport then they are dead to me.

RpgN

donny2112 said:
After you get access to some of the higher parts later in the game, try making some of these. :)

Thank you very much, I have the link bookmarked for when I get that far in the game :)

I'll always hold some hope while Loveday is there. He gave Rare their cheeky persona and did such a good job of maintaining the strong fan-developer relationship for so long.

It's a shame he's been restrained of late.

Gravijah

NEO0MJ said:
Rare was dead to me as soon as they left Nintendo. Of course that was when I was an angry 13 year old fanboy. For now I still have hope that Rare might have a spark left and gonna wait to see their next two games. If both end up as Kinect games in the style of Kinect Sport then they are dead to me.

Rare is dead, and I say that as someone who thinks Viva Pinata is their best franchise.

Prine

Banned
Furret said:
Oh I'm leaving before I waste more of my time here, but really... dodgeball.

Is this what it's come to?

Its always been like this, just that you're self imposed onto the screen rather than controlling a car doging traffic or a spaceship navigating through an asteroid belt.

Get over it, people like to control games using their bodies.

Prine

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
The area where Rare is located looks awesome.

Still one of the top UK studios to work for. I expect Rare is on the list of any talented upcoming designer when applying for work.

Mael

Prine said:
Its always been like this, just that you're self imposed onto the screen rather than controlling a car doging traffic or a spaceship navigating through an asteroid belt.

Get over it, people like to control games using their bodies.

Funny that wasn't what was said in 2006

[Nintex]

Prine said:
Still one of the top UK studios to work for. I expect Rare is on the list of any talented upcoming designer when applying for work.
That's because everything else is already closed?

JaggedSac

I don't think that is how long he has been working on a game, I think that is just how long he has held that job title.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't realize I left this tab open on my work computer and was commenting on a post in the previous page from yesterday :)

Shiggy said:
How do you know that he's from Crackdown? Afaik all of those projects there were simply pitches - only Trainer was in development for a longer period.

There's not doubt he's the agent from Crackdown, but it might have been for promotionnal purposes, or for a skin in another game (Perfect Dark XBLA).

Shiggy

Littleberu said:
There's not doubt he's the agent from Crackdown, but it might have been for promotionnal purposes.

I always wondered for what kind of project that character might've been when lurking on websites, thanks for pointing this out. Only now I see that he even has that Crackdown symbol on his back. As it was done in 2008, Rare/Sergey might've pitched a Crackdown sequel.

Mael

StevieP said:
No shit.
Hell, up until 2009/2010, you could easily say that motion controls were the bane of existence for 2/3 of GAF.

Indeed just funny to point out how fickle so-called hardcore gamers can be...

If anyone wants to meet Grant, on May 7th he is going to be at the Clarence Performing Arts Center in the University of Maryland listening to their orchestra play songs from Banjo-Kazooie.

V_Ben

Banned
IOnEI Falcon said:
Ah, some of the greats at Rare in the new lobby...

martinhollis Martin Hollis
Dr David Doak and Mr Martin Hollis did recently visit Rare. 3d glasses not required. --o^o-- http://3dporch.com/tYHd

Cool stuff. I wonder how many people they still know there, since they left a while ago...

jintek

Banned
Of all the things Rare should be doing, firing artists is pretty much dead last... How the mighty have fallen, sad to see a once legendary developer turn into a complete joke.

Hero of Legend said:
Zoonami's still around I THINK, but a chunk of folks formed Otterly.

I think it was Shiggy who noted that. Any updates?

I have no idea how Zoonami is still being funded or maybe their developing the one game to rule them all. But after all the ex-Rare guy's hype, it didn't amount to much.

jintek said:
Of all the things Rare should be doing, firing artists is pretty much dead last... How the mighty have fallen, sad to see a once legendary developer turn into a complete joke.

I have no idea how Zoonami is still being funded or maybe their developing the one game to rule them all. But after all the ex-Rare guy's hype, it didn't amount to much.

You mean they are not living of the profits of Zenduko? I want to know what happened to Funkyzilla as they completely missed out on the whole rythym action popularity.

Prine

Banned
IOnEI Falcon said:
Ah, some of the greats at Rare in the new lobby...

martinhollis Martin Hollis
Dr David Doak and Mr Martin Hollis did recently visit Rare. 3d glasses not required. --o^o-- http://3dporch.com/tYHd

Nice, i doubt they would make the effort unless worthwhile members from old Rare were still present. At what capacity we dont know, but we can gather that Holis and Doak along with others have a plesant connection with Rare. And more encouragingly it was a recent pic.

Would be great to have them back, or even collaborating on a new Rare title.

And there it is:

DrDaves Dave
@taskbaarchitect Why do you even think about 'writing for games'? Kinect Sports: Resort getting a fully-fledged story now?

volturnus

Banned
jintek said:

I think it died when most composers left.
Some say Rare died when the Stampers left, but its core was still there, the ''reshuffle'' was the final blow IMO.

Top Bottom