• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear SCEE: thanks for wasting my data cap

You do realize that patches can be 1.5gb too right? With a 30gb data cap you shouldn't be autodownloading anything. You need to manage and track your data usage like a mofo.

Still your fault not Sony's. A toggle with different options for people with data caps would be nice but wouldn't do a damn thing in your situation. consider yourself lucky it didn't download a 15gb trial.

But I want the patches. I don't mind them downloading as I asked for it.

Is this really that hard to understand? Putting shitty betas for shitty games on my machine is not a good thing. It's not something I want. For all the bitching GAF does about anti-consumer behaviour here, you're all suddenly okay with this.

Nothing should be on my PlayStation unless I want it to be there. The. End.

jiggles

Banned
See, this is the thing (and why I don't accept the criticism here): why should I be forced to disable a useful feature because they have decided to shoehorn everything in that way? A patch is something that I want. A beta to an overrated series that outstayed its welcome last generation isn't.

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony and has nothing to do with my ISP.

Umm...

imageexra4.jpg

EDIT: Beaten like a ginger stepchild, I see

test_account

XP-39C²
So then it is a separate option. It certainly wasn't there when I signed up for PS+ eons ago.
I dont know how it was in the begining, i first got PS+ a few months after it first came out. But yeah, there is an option for it now at least :)

Have you had PS+ since the begining by the way? I remember getting auto download of Beyond Good and Evil HD and From Dust demos. I didnt knew about this either to begin with. It was first when i saw some demos installed that i didnt download that i noticed it had a system like this (luckily for me, i dont have bandwith cap, so that wasnt an issue for me, but i was surprised to see the demos being automatically downloaded that i hadnt chosen nor had much interest for. I ended up just deleting them).

Is this excuse number 5? Just accept that you made a mistake.

You've dug a deep enough hole.

Pfft, not at all. I've made my reason clear:

Good user interface design should remove the need for the user to make decisions. They shouldn't need to over-think or hunt out features. If there's an option to turn it off (that appeared long after I signed up), it should be off by default. I set "auto-updates" on when I got PS+ years ago. I did not sign up for "auto-downloads".

Data caps are fucking bullshit. I have a 200GB/month cap with Cox and there is NO OTHER cable Internet provider in town for me to switch to. If you go over it three times, Cox kicks you off their service and you can't come back for a year. The only other thing we have here is AT&T DSL.

Google, please save the Internet.

pelican

Time to upgrade that Internet. Capped access is the scourge.

God knows how much I actually download in a month.

Mik_Pad

Banned

Good user interface design should remove the need for the user to make decisions. They shouldn't need to over-think or hunt out features. If there's an option to turn it off (that appeared long after I signed up), it should be off by default. I set "auto-updates" on when I got PS+ years ago. I did not sign up for "auto-downloads".

Good user interface design should remove the need for the user to make decisions.

Huh? Okay....

You do realize that most people don't have the problem you have, right? So, maybe-just maybe-you are to blame?

jcm

Well, you've progressed from describing it as "bloody rude, annoying, intrusive, and overbearing" to bad user interface design. I suppose that's progress. I would love to see your design for a ui that allows me to autodownload software and you to opt out., without asking either one of us to make a decision.

This must of happened a bunch of times if you've been on ps+ for eons

I've had it since they gave away a month for free after the PSN hack. The only other thing I've had appear without asking was SingStar, and at least that wasn't an actual download.

It's also worth noting, though, that for a while I had unticked the option for Sony to communicate with me. I put it on recently so I could download the PlayStation All-Stars beta. I'm not sure if that would have changed anything in the background.

When I get home, I will be unticking the "recommended items" box or whatever it was.

Good UI should mean the removal of choice from the user?

What?

Decision != choice. I shouldn't have to hunt out items three menus deep to, for example, find out when my PS+ membership expires.

You shouldn't have to think with UI; interactions should just happen and flow. There's a reason they don't ship iOS (or even Mac OS) with a manual.

Eusis

Is this really that hard to understand? Putting shitty betas for shitty games on my machine is not a good thing. It's not something I want. For all the bitching GAF does about anti-consumer behaviour here, you're all suddenly okay with this.

We bring up patches because they ARE a potential problem, with new software/patches separate as they are we know you don't have to get GoW with your patches.

Although this highlights we should probably be able to mark off what games we want kept up to date and what games we don't, so it doesn't keep downloading patches for something we traded in/rented eons ago.

Tyrax

Sony Defense Force is strong in this thread. I think they almost have you believing that its actually your fault

Denial is used for a psychological defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.

It's bordering on ridiculous, now.

I hope you get your situation fixed.

Bye.

Although this highlights we should probably be able to mark off what games we want kept up to date and what games we don't, so it doesn't keep downloading patches for something we traded in/rented eons ago.

Hmmm, that's a good point. What does it use to keep track? Trophy data? Installs? Save data? I always assumed it was install data, since I haven't gotten any huge patches for Gran Turismo or anything.

EDIT:

Sony Defense Force is strong in this thread. I think they almost have you believing that its actually your fault

Meh, I'm not really listening to responses like this one:

It's bordering on ridiculous, now.

I hope you get your situation fixed.

Bye.

It's the same kind of attitude that expects your 85-year-old Gran to program the DVR. Power users will never understand why people enjoy good design because they like bad design. Look at the number of people who would rather use the command line than a setup wizard. It's just the mindset, and I don't really expect it to be empathetic because I'm not really empathetic to it.

It's interesting, though, because there was a lot of under-appreciation for design in that Microsoft thread. Admittedly, it was graphic design, but I think people don't realise that good systems are the ones that people can use without needing to think about it.

Ask yourself when was the last time you used the more detailed heating functions or your microwave, for example.

test_account

XP-39C²
Might be worth to mention that PS+ subscription automatically renew itself. This might be common (i recently got my VISA card automatically renewed, and when i had some web domains, they were also set to automatically update), but it might be worth mentioning it.

neptunes

Damn, I download about 80GB worth of games off of XBL and GOG in the past few hours alone.
What in the fuck? You must not live in Canada.

I could never dream of doing that, even if I wanted too. I'd end up paying close to $400 for the month, including overages.

antitrop

Damn, I download about 80GB worth of games off of XBL and GOG in the past few hours alone.
Even being in the uncapped US, I still fear that the capping is inevitable, until the monopoly of the major cable providers is usurped.
Comcast already tried it not too long ago and just barely failed. They'll try again, and maybe it will stick.

Either that or I'll have to pay $300 a month to keep my uncapped 18Mbp/s down.

test_account

XP-39C²
In my opinion, it isnt really anyones fault here more than others. The arguement will be about if Sony should have that feature set to be automatically on or off when someone starts a subscription for PS+, and if it is the user's responsibility to check out the features or not. On one side it can be positive for those who wish to have the feature without having to manually enable it, but on the other side it could be negative for those who dont want to have it enabled and dont know about it.

params7

Banned
i feel sorry for people still limited to broadband with data caps. You essentially are on some trial broadband and can't even use stuff like netflix.

Lothars

The OP is complaining about a ridiculous thing that can easily be corrected by himself a long time ago and your saying that it's not his fault and it's only Sony's fault? I think the OP is just as much at fault as Sony is if anything.

Teksavvy or Acanac?
I live in Saskatchewan so Sasktel.

In my opinion, it isnt really anyones fault here more than others. The arguement will be about if Sony should have that feature set to be automatically on or off when someone starts a subscription for PS+, and if it is the user's responsibility to check out the features or not. On one side it can be positive for those who wish to have the feature without having to manually enable it, but on the other side it could be negative for those who dont want to have it enabled and dont know about it.

It sounds like what happened here is that it was set to on by me, but at the time either a) not allowing Sony to communicate with me (set to off when I signed up for PSN back in '07) made that part of the feature redundant or b) it was added as an option somewhere along the line but set to on by default.

I'm not really sure which. It doesn't matter now; there's a solution and I can take it.

I was more annoyed with people's attitude that bad interface design is the fault of the user.

jiggles

Banned
It sounds like what happened here is that it was set to on by me, but at the time either a) not allowing Sony to communicate with me (set to off when I signed up for PSN back in '07) made that part of the feature redundant or b) it was added as an option somewhere along the line but set to on by default.

I'm not really sure which. It doesn't matter now; there's a solution and I can take it.

I was more annoyed with people's attitude that bad interface design is the fault of the user.

If it helps clarify what happened: the option to pick what gets downloaded and what doesn't was added in November 2011, and defaulted existing subscribers to "on" for everything (so that there'd be no change to their existing service and people wouldn't have to dig around in the menus to continue as they were :p ). All new subscribers from then on had to opt in at the prompt.

hamchan

Don't see any anti-consumer behaviour from Sony at all in this, how ridiculous.

krae_man

Okay, I get it now.

So you say that when you signed up for plus, autodownloading only had an all or nothing option and when they added additional that functionality you didn't know because

a) you don't read Playstation blog posts
b) you set communication off by default so you didn't get the email announcing the change
c) you didn't pay attention to the "What's new" slide when you updated your firmware to the update containing the new feature

And you expected Sony to change your "download all" setting to the exact autodownload tier you wanted automatically?

If it helps clarify what happened: it was added in November 2011, and defaulted existing subscribers to "on" (so that there'd be no change to their existing service and people wouldn't have to dig around in the menus to continue as they were :p ). All new subscribers from then on had to opt in at the prompt.

Thank you!

I knew I wasn't completely insane.

Bad, Sony. That shit should have defaulted to off. Opt-out features are always terrible.

EDIT:

Okay, I get it now.

So you say that when you signed up for plus, autodownloading only had an all or nothing option and when they added additional that functionality you didn't know because

a) you don't read Playstation blog posts
b) you set communication off by default so you didn't get the email announcing the change
c) you didn't pay attention to the "What's new" tab when the firmware update containing the new feature came out

And you expected Sony to change your "download all" setting to the exact autodownload tier you wanted automatically?

A) Nope.
B) Yup.
C) Firmware updates are installed automatically by PlayStation+. :p

But I'll still reiterate:

Opt-out features are always terrible.

test_account

XP-39C²

Its possible, i dont remember how it was earlier regarding this and PS+, so i cant really say much about it unfortunately. I can understand your situation and frustration. I was a bit annoyed as well when i didnt knew that my Music Unlimited subscription was set to auto renewal. But yeah, the most important thing is that a solution was found at least :)

But yeah, the most important thing is that a solution was found at least :)

Yeah, definitely. I still can't stand opt-out features, but at least now a situation has presented itself. Unfortunate that it took bitching and consequential hostility from GAF to present itself, but at least now it's there.

jiggles

Banned
Thank you!

I knew I wasn't completely insane.

Bad, Sony. That shit should have defaulted to off. Opt-out features are always terrible.

Well, before the option to turn it off came in, it was always on. It's just as easy to argue that they absolutely should not have defaulted it to off for existing subscribers at that point because that'd be removing a feature on the sly for them.

And that typically hasn't gone down well for them in the past.

Top Bottom