• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Picked up nothing: the only discs I feel I can't get from the summer B&N sale I'll get during the next flash sale. Basically I Am Curious, both Olmis, The House on Main Street, Green for Danger, &c.

Decided on La jetee/Sans soleil and Charulata. Seems like I have practically all the discs I consider essential now.

Now let's just hope they split up the Cassavetes set into singles like they did with the DVDs.

Three Outlaw Samurai
Blow Out
High And Low
Night Of The Hunter
Kiss Me Deadly
Three Colors set
Double Life of Veronique
Anatomy of A Murder
Samurai Trilogy
12 Angry Men

Most of these are long overdue. I gotta say it was a good day.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
From the newsletter:

HDtcbIzWsjLmDCVAqFMMhjqF10k507DUGBVkUMLBdCkluq5qI0DEMKU0d50p7RCWKZVGDJbyFsITDW8JBcqCHaQNK1Z_EO6ciaxodrTuu7C0k3q6kgTfe1_fcRNS=s0-d-e1-ft

MORE CASSAVETES, YES

Draconian

Not sure if this would get enough traffic in its own thread, but thought people here would want to know that Alain Resnais has passed away.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40320

Fantastic director. I think I will try to watch Hiroshima Mon Amour sometime in the coming week or two.

I still need to catch that one. I remember watching Night and Fog and just remembering how haunting it was. It's just one of those films that people need to see.

Fjordson

Managed to find Thief in a local Barnes & Noble (been backordered on Criterion's site). What a great release. Looks and sounds fantastic.

Draconian

I ordered Kagemusha and Amarcord last week and they still haven't even shipped yet. I've emailed Criterion twice inquiring about the status of my order and they haven't responded. Meanwhile, I've already been charged for both movies. I looked for other contact information and there's nothing outside of physical mail. I'm trying not to be really annoyed, but I'm getting extremely irritated at their costumer service. Does anybody have any experience with Criterion's costumer service or have any advice on how to proceed? And yeah, I checked my spam folder and nothing's there either.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Almost jumped on Nashville, but couldn't get to $35 free shipping without going to $45. I win this round Amazon.

Got Frances Ha and City Lights since I already got Seconds, Rififi (although non crit) and Nashville and Repo Man are on MoC.

Almost jumped on Nashville, but couldn't get to $35 free shipping without going to $45. I win this round Amazon.

HA HA never have this problem.

Always pay for shipping :/

Hi guys, it's great to see this thread. I've been collecting movies on DVD, and now Blu-Ray, for the last fifteen years or so. I own about 80 or so Criterion titles (including a bunch which are now out of print), and what I'm currently debating right now is the idea of 'upgrading' from DVD to Blu-Ray. This is really annoying, since I have maybe five hundred or so DVDs.

In some cases, upgrading is prohibitively expensive. I have Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia on DVD, which cost me about $12 when I bought it on DVD maybe six or seven years ago. Or a better example is the Criterion DVD of Ace in the Hole, which I bought when it came out for around $35 or so and is now getting replaced by the Blu-Ray edition. Not to mention all the Kurosawas...

So, my question is, what do you guys do, especially when the initial DVD was really expensive in the first place? When it comes to a movie that I don't own yet, sure, I will put down the money right away and buy it. For example, I picked up Kuroneko, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, and Sansho the Bailiff on Blu-Ray during Criterion's flash sale. But I also put Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set in my cart before reluctantly deleting them. I really want to upgrade those DVDs to Blu-Rays, especially Seven Samurai (I have the original Criterion one-disc release which is of really poor quality), and Yojimbo and Sanjuro (the DVD releases of those seem to be slightly cropped vertically). The problem is that even at half-price, they're ridiculously expensive. And then I think that with the advent of 4k TVs, Criterion might release 4k versions of the discs in five or six years...and I just go 'ugh.'

Fjordson

Hi guys, it's great to see this thread. I've been collecting movies on DVD, and now Blu-Ray, for the last fifteen years or so. I own about 80 or so Criterion titles (including a bunch which are now out of print), and what I'm currently debating right now is the idea of 'upgrading' from DVD to Blu-Ray. This is really annoying, since I have maybe five hundred or so DVDs.

In some cases, upgrading is prohibitively expensive. I have Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia on DVD, which cost me about $12 when I bought it on DVD maybe six or seven years ago. Or a better example is the Criterion DVD of Ace in the Hole, which I bought when it came out for around $35 or so and is now getting replaced by the Blu-Ray edition. Not to mention all the Kurosawas...

So, my question is, what do you guys do, especially when the initial DVD was really expensive in the first place? When it comes to a movie that I don't own yet, sure, I will put down the money right away and buy it. For example, I picked up Kuroneko, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, and Sansho the Bailiff on Blu-Ray during Criterion's flash sale. But I also put Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set in my cart before reluctantly deleting them. I really want to upgrade those DVDs to Blu-Rays, especially Seven Samurai (I have the original Criterion one-disc release which is of really poor quality), and Yojimbo and Sanjuro (the DVD releases of those seem to be slightly cropped vertically). The problem is that even at half-price, they're ridiculously expensive. And then I think that with the advent of 4k TVs, Criterion might release 4k versions of the discs in five or six years...and I just go 'ugh.'
It's definitely a problem. I have so many old DVD's that are just collecting dust because I've been exposed blu-rays and have seen how good they look :lol it sounds silly, but it's true.

Criterion releases are a little unique, though, since they're always fairly expensive. Most other movies I can upgrade to blu fairly easily for 10-15 bucks. Even less if you can catch a sale (recently got Dredd and Chinatown on blu for $6 each for example).

I'm definitely taking it slow upgrading my Criterion collection. Just sticking with my absolute favourites for now. Of course that runs the risk of missing out on certain titles. Like with The Third Man, which I think Criterion lost the rights to on blu-ray. Can only find it on Ebay or third party Amazon sellers these days for a ton of cash =[

XShagrath

My method on upgrading is to only upgrade (Criterions) to blu-ray when it's over 50% off, or if it's going out of print. I've been into the collection since the laserdisc days, so I've got over 500 dvd/blu-ray titles. I'm much more apt to buy a new film rather than an upgrade currently.

I actually have the original Criterion DVD release of The Third Man...I didn't even know the BR remaster had gone out of print.

The problem with the 50% off sales is that u end up buying new titles instead of upgrading the ones I already own. I definitely need to upgrade all my Kurosawas, at least.

ngower

I watched The Double Life of Veronique on Hulu last night. Oh. My. God. An absolutely stunning experience—emphasis on the experience, since it feels more than it tells. Cinematography is amongst the best I've ever seen. Desperate to see the Colors trilogy this week, and will unquestionably buy the Blu Ray during the next half-off sale.

Is Hulu Plus worth it for the Criterion films? How many do they actually have?

BTW, if there are non-Criterion versions of films, which version do you guys tend to go for? In my case, if the transfer is as good as the Criterion version, I will get the other version, even if I miss out on supplements. Like, the Criterion version of Robocop still sells for a lot of money even though it's technically really bad. Non-anamorphic, the transfer isn't particularly great, etc., yet people still want it. Meanwhile, the recent Blu may have horrible cover art, but is otherwise better in every way. Another example is Ran. I got the non-Criterion DVD version (the remastered one), shortly before Criterion acquired the rights and released their own version. I read the specs on the films, found that the transfers were of comparable quality, and decided to stick with the version I had.

ngower

Yes. It's a great way of checking out films that you've never seen or that are in the Collection but not yet on a disc.

I think they have something like 800+ films on Hulu?

Quality is usually excellent, though the occasional film has a poor transfer.

Fjordson

BTW, if there are non-Criterion versions of films, which version do you guys tend to go for? In my case, if the transfer is as good as the Criterion version, I will get the other version, even if I miss out on supplements. Like, the Criterion version of Robocop still sells for a lot of money even though it's technically really bad. Non-anamorphic, the transfer isn't particularly great, etc., yet people still want it. Meanwhile, the recent Blu may have horrible cover art, but is otherwise better in every way. Another example is Ran. I got the non-Criterion DVD version (the remastered one), shortly before Criterion acquired the rights and released their own version. I read the specs on the films, found that the transfers were of comparable quality, and decided to stick with the version I had.
All about the transfer quality for me. Like you said, if the two releases are of comparable quality then I'll just stick with what I have.

I'm not a big extras guy, so I'm never too tempted by any of that. I mean I definitely appreciate all the bonus features that most Criterion releases have, but they aren't essential for me personally.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
https://www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies/posts/10152667554132729
A SPECIAL EVENT FOR TWILIGHT TIME’S THIRD BIRTHDAY ON WEDNESDAY, MARCH 19th!

It seems like only yesterday, but incredibly, Twilight Time turns 3 years old this month, and to celebrate we are doing something we’ve never done before which is to offer a special price-promotion on 36 of our Blu-ray titles (one for each month we’ve been in operation!) This promotion will last for exactly 5 days - it will begin with the April pre-orders on Wednesday, March 19th at 4 pm EST, and will run to Monday, March 24th at 4 pm EST. The promotion will be exclusive to SAE’s website at www.screenarchives.com - this is a way to thank you, our intrepid aficionados, for all your support these 3 amazing years, and to give many of you a chance to catch up on titles you may have wanted but put on the back burner, and also to encourage new devotees to try some of our more esoteric back-catalogue items. And thank you again for your patience while the March titles have been delayed.

Over the course of these 36 months we have climbed a very steep learning curve, and that process continues apace. We’ll continue to refine what we do and adjust to the constantly changing demands of the home entertainment business. And believe it or not, we hear what you tell us, and we’ll always try our best to adapt (take that, eco cases!!)

Also on Wednesday, March 19th at 4 pm EST when the April pre-orders go live, we will have approximately 150 copies of THE FRONT signed by the lovely Miss Andrea Marcovicci, which will be available for the usual $100 or more of TT product - but this month your $100 will go a lot further if you wish to take advantage of the price-promotion gang of 36 - all of which are listed below. SAE suggests that for those of you wishing to take part in the promotion and also inclined to obtain a signed copy of THE FRONT, use the list below to pre-load your shopping cart so you’ll be able to proceed directly to the autographed copy icon.

Once again, this promotion is for 5 DAYS ONLY - so get ready to start your engines - (PLEASE NOTE: all titles in the promotion will be discounted by $10 - which means those that ordinarily retail for $29.95 will be $19.95, and those that are $34.95 will be $24.95.)

5 DAYS ONLY - $10 OFF THE REGULAR PRICE - HERE IS THE GANG OF 36!

RAPTURE
PICNIC
ROOTS OF HEAVEN
SWAMP WATER
PAL JOEY
DEMETRIUS & THE GLADIATORS
BITE THE BULLET
DESIREE
THE WAYWARD BUS
COVER GIRL
HIGH TIME
STEEL MAGNOLIAS
THE SOUND AND THE FURY
RAINS OF RANCHIPUR
BONJOUR TRISTESSE
BELOVED INFIDEL
LOST HORIZON
THE BLUE LAGOON
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA
OUR MAN FLINT
IN LIKE FLINT
PONY SOLDIER
SONG OF BERNADETTE
PHILADELPHIA
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN
LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE
THE DISAPPEARANCE
SEXY BEAST
ALAMO BAY
MINDWARP
THE OTHER
JANE EYRE
ROYAL FLASH
TITUS
And not to be left out - we still have 4 of the 9 titles we released on DVD in stock - and for this 5 day event, each will be $9.95
THE KREMLIN LETTER
VIOLENT SATURDAY
WOMAN OBSESSED
MY COUSIN RACHEL

L'Ecclise DF
Picnic at Hanging Rock DF
Hearts and Minds DF
Franju's Judex! (consarnit, I really wanted it to be the Feuillade)
All That Heaven Allows DF
A Hard Day's Night (no Soderbergh, lol)

On my iPad, but I'll say this: Criterion should sell the Judex cover as a one-sheet. It's an immensely cool blending of modern comic-book art with Beardsley, which represents Franju's version of the serial perfectly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've never seen a Douglas Sirk movie, all I know is that Todd Haynes loves him. Hey, that guy should have one or two in the collection too.

A Hard Day's Night's cover is shit, plain simple. They had no excuses for bad box-art when there's plenty of good shots to at least lay a text box over. The other new covers all range from solid (Picnic at Hanging Rock) to Judex levels of awesome.

Sirk's certainly different, and I really need to get this upgrade so I can watch a less divisive movie of his.

HoJu

just Picnic at Hanging Rock for me. I've heard that it doesn't have as many special features as the Second Sight region B release, but I'll take what I can get.

also the L'eclisse cover is butt ugly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They're being stingy with the Melville blus, I'll take anything. Doesn't even have to be Le Samorai.

swoon

the big news is Rock Hudson’s Home Movies (1992), a groundbreaking essay film about the actor by Mark Rappaport is on the all that heaven allows set. it's like one of the best documentaries about an actor ever.

codhand

even if you hate him, we still dont have much on BD from him. this will represent his best film to hit Region A.

EDIT
Forgot about La Notte, that's the same level as L'Ecclise in terms of quality, but both are better than the Red Desert and Identification, anyway, the more Antonioni the better, him and Kurosawa I will never be mad at a release from

Fjordson

I know this is probably old news for most people in here, but Thief....THIEF. I've watched it twice now and it may be one of the best blus I've ever seen. The sound is perfect (especially that Tangerine Dream soundtrack) as are the visuals. What a gorgeous movie.

mattiewheels

I'll use the fact that a supposedly much better-looking blu of Fargo is coming out from MGM in a couple days to ask: has there ever been a Criterion Coen Bros release? A Barton Fink CC blu would be great, a whole lot better than the nothing we have now.

Top Bottom