• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Pachimari

Santa Monica is probably the least exciting studio to me. Mostly because they stay to what is known, which is God of War. But it is cool how much they help out with other projects.

But what is most sad is what happened to Sony London. They went from developing my most anticipated game in The Getaway, to basically become the peripheral and service studio. :(

And as far as Sony Bend's game? What could shinobi mean by TLOU-style survival horror? I was kind of hoping for a massive atmospheric silent hill style game tbh.

I hope Cambridge is taking over Resistance instead of Killzone.

I'd rather they work on something entirely new. It's not like either Resistance or Killzone would be missed to a great extent and first person shooters aren't the hottest genre this generation, unless its also open world.

That being said if I had to pick between those two, Resistance has lore that can be greatly fleshed out and be exciting through a reboot or soft-reboot.

Best wishes.

Alo0oy

Banned
You keep going on about how Sucker Punch have to do InFamous because it's unique and that there's nothing else they can do. They have already made three InFamous games and some extras, sometimes while the competition had Batman and Prototype but just because there might not be something like it that compares on the market, it doesn't mean Sucker Punch can't do something else.

It would be very refreshing seeing them take a break from InFamous and either create a new IP for Sony or do something with their other franchises.

I don't see InFamous as an absolute need in Sony's line-up.

Prototype was a failure & Batman is done. Please answer me this: Choose a genre you'd like them to tackle.

Just do it, & I can guarantee you that I can name at least 10 games announced that cover that genre. Meanwhile, the only franchises that resemble inFamous that you named are a dead failed franchise, & franchise that just ended.

autoduelist

I know sometimes we have an anti-dlc mentality, but sometimes I wish we did get more expansions. For example, I'd love to see a new Killzone Mercs for vita... no engine changes, just give me 5 (or 10) more missions. Basically, just mission packs. I know it'll never happen, but I really wish some games got that treatment, since it would be relatively low cost and would hopefully recoup expenses.

so for 2017 we could assume these titles to release:
-GOW IV
-Bend's New I.P
-SP's inFamous 4/New I.P
-MM's Dreams (game looks like it's still in early dev so no way it'll make an 2016 release)
-PSVR Titles from London
-Maybe Evolution Studio's Next Game (could easily be pushed to 2018, hopefully a new Motorstorm)
-Bloodborne 2 or a new exclusive title from Japan Studios/FromSoft
-Quantic Dream's Next Game (although it could release in 2016, if revealed this year)

ND is a weird one, most of them are working on U4 which will release in 2016. Rumor and Leaks seem to hint at TLOU 2 as being their next game, but they also seem to be planning their next New I.P "in the scale of Uncharted".

So Technically (if they split into 2 teams like last time) they should be able to release TLOU2 by Fall 2017 but a Spring 2018 seems more realistic. Which would mean that the New I.P. would end up being either one of the last PS4 titles or a cross platform title.

Santa Monica is probably the least exciting studio to me. Mostly because they stay to what is known, which is God of War. But it is cool how much they help out with other projects.

But what is most sad is what happened to Sony London. They went from developing my most anticipated game in The Getaway, to basically become the peripheral and service studio. :(

i feel the same....so sad. I remember how i was pumped for their games the most during last gen when they those big Projects : Eights Days & getaway 3 in development......
And now its party/familiy games

most of the stuff from team soho left the studio iirc

The_Getaway_PS3_1.jpg
eight_days.jpg

Pretty sure I saw him say he meant that in regards to enemy design more than anything else

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing something like that, but I don't remember what thread that was. If it is just enemy designs, I'm guessing mutated humans?

Also, I know its probably too early to hear about this one, but i'd really like to hear more about Sony Japan's supposed risky, experimental, big-budget jrpg that could rival final fantasy. I'd give anything just to see some concept art leak ala Horizon.

Pachimari

Prototype was a failure & Batman is done. Please answer me this: Choose a genre you'd like them to tackle.

Just do it, & I can guarantee you that I can name at least 10 games announced that cover that genre. Meanwhile, the only franchises that resemble inFamous that you named are a dead failed franchise, & franchise that just ended.
I don't care what genre they'll tackle. I will be fine with any genre, as long as they get to flex their creative ideas and do something powerful with their concept. Genre isn't important, the concept is.

And InFamous has gotten dull. I will be all for another InFamous if they can fleshen it out immensely but I would still prefer a new IP. Just as much, as I would like Naughty Dog to do something else than Uncharted and The Last of Us.

he didn't say that it is a new ip - i think that projcet he was talking about is TLOU 2, since around that time TLOU 2 was also in early pre production stages

You got a point, I just never saw TLOU as somewhere in the scale of Uncharted, even though they do got their similarities.

Toro

Banned
Guerrilla Cambridge and Amsterdam are the same studio, just FIY, so when Guerrilla said they're not done with KZ they probably mean that their Cambridge team is working on it.
And still, it's and own studio. It may be a sister studio to Guerrilla Games (Netherlands) now, but it's still a different studio, in a different country (UK).

Wasn't there some new Sony internal studio with some shitty sounding name who recently announced a Twisted Metal rip off called Hardware Rivals or something as well?

I'm spotty on the details because I wasn't paying too much attention tbh.
I guess you mean....

SCE Connected Content Group
Yes, they are developing games, too. Their next/first game will be Hardware: Rivals (sequel to the PS2 online-multiplayer / car-combat game Hardware: Online Arena)

... and it has nothing in common with Twisted Metal. It's a sequel to the nearly 13 year old IP "Hardware: Online Arena". I guess you think: Car-Combat = Twisted Metal
Hardware: Online Arena was pure fun. And Hardware: Rivals looks damn good, too.

Harlequin

How about mature/realistic 3D platformers? The only big franchise there is Mirror's Edge and that's only just now resurfacing after a seven-year hiatus. I'd also argue that Assassin's Creed is somewhat similar to the inFamous games in that it has the same combination of open-world urban environments and sticky free-climbing mechanics, though it is, of course, missing the superhero powers. Personally, I also just don't find inFamous overly exciting. The premise and concept are interesting but the games have always been somewhat bland and boring IMO. I started all three of them but only ever finished the first one. The other two just felt too repetitive (the first one did, as well, I just had more patience with it). Filling a niche isn't enough if you don't fill it well.

Also Gravity Rush is the same genre. Personally, I'd be happy for a new inFamous. One of my favorite franchises, and I can never get enough open world superhero games.

Toro

Banned
How about mature/realistic 3D platformers? The only big franchise there is Mirror's Edge and that's only just now resurfacing after a seven-year hiatus. I'd also argue that Assassin's Creed is somewhat similar to the inFamous games in that it has the same combination of open-world urban environments and sticky free-climbing mechanics, though it is, of course, missing the superhero powers. Personally, I also just don't find inFamous overly exciting. The premise and concept are interesting but the games have always been somewhat bland and boring IMO. I started all three of them but only ever finished the first one. The other two just felt too repetitive (the first one did, as well, I just had more patience with it). Filling a niche isn't enough if you don't fill it well.
Well maybe you should look at a different studio then. Infamous is a good franchise and it has its fans. So I hope their next game is another Infamous. Love these games.

I'd be down for more Infamous.

Second Son was a pretty solid title for coming out so early in the generation, not to mention it looked fantastic. I'd love to see what SP can pull off a few years into the PS4's lifecycle.

Toro

Banned
I'd be down for more Infamous.

Second Son was a pretty solid title for coming out so early in the generation, not to mention it looked fantastic. I'd love to see what SP can pull off a few years into the PS4's lifecycle.
Quotes for truth. Just give them more time. Can't wait to see what's next.

Harlequin

Well maybe you should look at a different studio then. Infamous is a good franchise and it has its fans. So I hope their next game is another Infamous. Love these games.

I'm not necessarily saying that you cannot like inFamous or that Sucker Punch shouldn't stick to the series (that's obviously entirely subjective), just that "it's filling a niche" on its own isn't really a good enough reason to keep it around.

Sam Bishop

Neo Member

I want to clear something up here: SMS is more than just another development house. Like SCEE Cambridge, who helped build tech that was used throughout the PS2 era, they make games AND help craft engines. The ICE Team was there during the PS3 era, and there was huge in-house effort to cultivate indies and help them really push the hardware (thatgamecompany is obviously a major byproduct of that). In many ways, SMS is the liaison between outside companies and what internal WWS folks are working on. They're more than God of War, and that's gone all the way back to what Dave Jaffe and co were doing on Kinetica to help grok the PS2's... unique setup (the engine for which the PS2 God of Wars were based).

I know you mentioned "other projects," but they really are more than just co-publishers on stuff like Hohokum or Journey.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I actually want Sucker Punch to do something new. They've been doing Infamous for more or less 7 years. I'm sure they can do more.

Kind of sad that Santa Monica Studios has become one of the worse studios for Sony in term of AAA development this generation.
They "helped" with The Order, but the series was never their IP.
I don't think we will see anything from them until 2017, they are so behind the curve.
GOW is an old IP too =/.

I'm pretty disappointed that their new IP got cancelled during the restructuring of SCEW, but it was for the best. They apparently scrapped a lot of what they had because of Destiny similarities or something, and didn't find a footing.

Now we're stuck with more God of War. At least Cory's back, so maybe I can get interested in GOW again.

i feel the same....so sad. I remember how i was pumped for their games the most during last gen when they those big Projects : Eights Days & getaway 3 in development......
And now its party/familiy games

most of the stuff from team soho left the studio iirc

I remember those games, I was pretty disappointed with the cancellations, but they were stuck in development hell for a long time. I don't think The Getaway 3 (or Getaway as they called it) was anything more than a tech demo with a trailer, but Eight Days did have some internal demos showing gameplay. I was hoping that with the new gen, SCE London Studios would return to those days. I suppose there are other devs for that.

Josh5890

-GOW IV
-Bend's New I.P
-SP's inFamous 4/New I.P
-MM's Dreams (game looks like it's still in early dev so no way it'll make an 2016 release)
-PSVR Titles from London
-Maybe Evolution Studio's Next Game (could easily be pushed to 2018, hopefully a new Motorstorm)
-Quantic Dream's Next Game (although it could release in 2016, if revealed this year)

ND is a weird one, most of them are working on U4 which will release in 2016. Rumor and Leaks seem to hint at TLOU 2 as being their next game, but they also seem to be planning their next New I.P "in the scale of Uncharted".

So Technically (if they split into 2 teams like last time) they should be able to release TLOU2 by Fall 2017 but a Spring 2018 seems more realistic. Which would mean that the New I.P. would end up being either one of the last PS4 titles or a cross platform title.

I think Horizon is pushed back to 2017. Motorstorm could be great but I'm afraid we won't see them again.

I really want a new MAG game

I remember those games, I was pretty disappointed with the cancellations, but they were stuck in development hell for a long time. I don't think The Getaway 3 (or Getaway as they called it) was anything more than a tech demo with a trailer, but Eight Days did have some internal demos showing gameplay. I was hoping that with the new gen, SCE London Studios would return to those days. I suppose there are other devs for that.

yeah it looks like SCE London is fully concentrating on Playstation VR right now...i was hoping they could re-use the material for eight days/Getawy and reintroduce these games for the Ps4

But i think there is still hope, if we believe Verendus

No idea about Wipeout. Maybe you'll get something similar to Rollcage in the future though. London will do something more core oriented, but you'll be waiting.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134071082&postcount=1066

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Sucker Punch has something brand new in the works. It will probably be a 2017 game.

Yeah, all signs point to new IP from them. (I don't know about the signs though)

yeah it looks like SCE London is fully concentrating on Playstation VR right now...i was hoping they could re-use the material for eight days/Getawy and reintroduce these games for the Ps4

But i think there is still hope, if we believe Verendus

Considering how niche VR will be at first (with what it has been said in terms of pricing for PSVR), I'm not surprised if that's what he means with something "core".

Quotes for truth. Just give them more time. Can't wait to see what's next.

And Infamous First Light was good too. Personally I think it'll be something new and not another Infamous game yet.

I'm pretty disappointed that their new IP got cancelled during the restructuring of SCEW, but it was for the best. They apparently scrapped a lot of what they had because of Destiny similarities or something, and didn't find a footing.

Yeah, was looking forward to seeing what they were doing.

I want to clear something up here: SMS is more than just another development house. Like SCEE Cambridge, who helped build tech that was used throughout the PS2 era, they make games AND help craft engines. The ICE Team was there during the PS3 era, and there was huge in-house effort to cultivate indies and help them really push the hardware (thatgamecompany is obviously a major byproduct of that). In many ways, SMS is the liaison between outside companies and what internal WWS folks are working on. They're more than God of War, and that's gone all the way back to what Dave Jaffe and co were doing on Kinetica to help grok the PS2's... unique setup (the engine for which the PS2 God of Wars were based).

I know you mentioned "other projects," but they really are more than just co-publishers on stuff like Hohokum or Journey.

Yeah, they seem to do a ton of stuff. Though I'm pretty sure it's been said that the ICE Team was at Naughty Dog not SMS.

-GOW IV
-Bend's New I.P
-SP's inFamous 4/New I.P
-PSVR Titles from London

How does Dreams not look like it will be ready? They've been working on this for many years. They have a lot more info on PGW. Bend's IP I would guess is a 2016 title as well as GT7.

How about mature/realistic 3D platformers? The only big franchise there is Mirror's Edge and that's only just now resurfacing after a seven-year hiatus.

Despite some people not liking it, somehow I think that that "mature" Jak and Daxter concept art brought to life would have done well and struck a chord if done super well.

And their Heavy Rain / Beyond: Two Souls HD Remaster.
Did we really had a confirmation for this ?

I was under the impression that those were rumors ?

I like how Driveclub is put in as the active project true to the fact that it doesn't seem finished.

Driveclub is a finished project that keep being updated. If a game is released and the dev keep making updates, it's gotta be an active project , right ?

Sam Bishop

Neo Member
Yeah, they seem to do a ton of stuff. Though I'm pretty sure it's been said that the ICE Team was at Naughty Dog not SMS.

You're not wrong, but it was a shared adjunct that spread out to the other WWS and eventually become part of what SMS was doing to work with the other studios while NDI proper was working on their games. People came and went as was needed, inputting what they could from all the different parts of the dev umbrella. I guess it was more a satellite founded by Naughty Dog's work in wrapping their head around CELL development, but it became an office of sorts at SMS, and that lives on in terms of both tools building and prototyping in not-quite-Santa-Monica.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I want more Delsin

I'll take more Delsin if his power sets get more fleshed out, varied, and he can start to mix powers. Infamous 2 Cole only had electricity with a side of ice or fire, but his abilities felt much more varied and interesting to use. I especially liked how involved his navigation tools were. Delsin travels faster, but it's just a matter of holding one button and steering in most cases. Infamous 2 had the grind cables from the first game, plus awesome new tools like the sogood.gif ice jump and the lightning tether that made you feel like spiderman.

Until Dawn could be a success then Sony want to work with Supermassive again.
I hope Sony will continue to work with Sumo Digital, Sanzuru and Insomniac

LifEndz

This is what I think will happen, but I don't see tlou 2 slipping past holiday 2017.

I'd say that going forward with inFamous it's important that they completely ditch their current good/evil system. I'm not saying that it has to be something like The Witcher where you often can't tell whether your choice was good or bad, but it should move beyond beating up protesters to be evil or beating up drug dealers to be good.

And bring back Fetch as the lead, or at least someone that has a similar power structure to hers. Her ability to navigate the world is by far the best in the series.

Top Bottom