• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ideal R/G/B/ remake would take place around the same time as B/W, or at least have a whole second section of the game devoted to such a sequel-like concept. But I'm not too certain on the business sense of such a decision.

DMG-01

Calling it now:
RSE remakes to be announced: Magma Ruby and Aqua Sapphire.
To be released September 16 (funnily enough, exactly 8 years after Emerald)
3DS exclusive

And since opinions are being thrown around: RSE are the worst mainline games (but with the 2nd best story), but FRLG are good.

Suairyu

Banned
It's called progression
What an entirely incorrect and presumptive position to hold. 2D as an artstyle has never been invalid or prohibiting. The only difference these days is that you're not limited to 2D, rather you can choose to be 2D if it fits your game.

My ideal R/G/B/ remake would take place around the same time as B/W, or at least have a whole second section of the game devoted to such a sequel-like concept. But I'm not too certain on the business sense of such a decision.
B/W is set after Gen I games. I mean, they can retcon that but why?

It would need huge amounts of new content. I find Kanto quite boring.
Edit: I'm sure that comes for playing the originals, Yellow and the remakes.
Well, yeah. It'd have to be substantially new. And do things like Black and White did to make each city feel unique.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The one real neat and often overlooked aspect of the new TM system is that since now they are basically key items that can't be traded every new game could have a new set of them.

This would be especially nice for Grey considering just how awful a lot of the new TMs are. Probably the worst gen for TMs since 2.

Suairyu

Banned
This would be especially nice for Grey considering just how awful a lot of the new TMs are. Probably the worst gen for TMs since 2.
They couldn't use any new TMs in Grey, I don't think, as the game needs to be compatible with Black and White. They could offer more TMs from previous generations, though.

Berordn

Gen 3 was lame, way too much water on the map.

Gen 3 was godawful until Emerald came around and fixed it up nice. After that it merely became the worst instead of an unholy abomination.

I still love it though, Feebas fishing and all.

Why did they suck out of interest? I thought they were well received.

They followed a bit too closely to the originals, with very few additions from Gen II and III until the postgame area, and even that had an iffy selection of new 'mons. They basically played like the originals but with higher fidelity graphics.

The real question is what do they do remake-wise with Gen VII (because I assume R/S/E are going to be gen VI)? Remaking Diamond and Pearl seems a bit redundant. I'd be down for another remake of Red and Green so long as it didn't leave all of its new content for the post-game again.

I always figured that they can't keep adding new pokemon forever and that they would eventually just create new scenarios in old regions. (i.e. gen VI being set in Hoen AND Sinnoh)

Salvadora

I would like new scenarios in old regions. Maybe in the past or future, Seeing how routes and towns have changed for example.

B/W takes place many years later, and going through Kanto many years later as a new protagonist or an older Red could be an interesting change of pace. Just a thought.
This is part of my ideal R/G/B sequel currently in-planning (at least in a design-doc stage, lol), in addition to an improved battle system and utterly-revamped SP mode.

I was perfectly fine with the water routes in R/S, and they're not hard to deal with at all. For a semi-tropical region, Hoenn had a metric-ton a variety in its environments, more interesting than Kanto's treestreestrees and Johto's Kansai-influenced stuff overall. And the Pokemon designs got really zany too, which fit the exotic theme perfectly.

Rarutos

They couldn't use any new TMs in Grey, I don't think, as the game needs to be compatible with Black and White. They could offer more TMs from previous generations, though.

Wait, what? I don't think that's true. I think since the TMs are unable to be transferred or anything that they can replace all the TMs in Grey if they wanted to without a hitch.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Why did they suck out of interest? I thought they were well received.
I can only agree with the first part. How did FR/LG suck? They improved on just about everything from he originals and added the Sevii Islands!

- blocky look of the graphics/art style as opposed to the very nice more natural and rounded look of RSE
- numerous missing features such as an internal clock (no Espy/Umby for you!)
- that darn "where you left off" thing every time the game started
- the pause every time you enter the PKMN center or are already in one and come out of a menu without the wireless adapter in your system (emerald suffered from this to though)
- the 3 pocket bag was a downgrade from the 5 pocket one and ya also couldn't cycle through it for whatever dumb reason

FrLg were just so very barebones and clunky a real disappointment to me back then!

I would like new scenarios in old regions. Maybe in the past or future, Seeing how routes and towns have changed for example.

That'd be perfect for Gen III. Post-Groudon & Kyogre Hoenn could be cool. Waterways where once there were not and land routes where once there was water would just be the tip of the iceburg of things they could do!

J@hranimo

Banned
I was perfectly fine with the water routes in R/S, and they're not hard to deal with at all. For a semi-tropical region, Hoenn had a metric-ton a variety in its environments, more interesting than Kanto's treestreestrees and Johto's Kansai-influenced stuff overall. And the Pokemon designs got really zany too, which fit the exotic theme perfectly.

:O

You get it. That's exactly why Hoenn is awesome as a region. The only area that has a bit of water is the area south of Mossdeep, East of Sootopolis and South of Evergrande. Once you play enough of it the area is easy to get.

In the remake they should definitely make surfing go a lot faster especially if they're adding more parts.

Suairyu

Banned
I don't like the water sections in any of the Pokémon games. It just feels like a dungeon/cave to me - something you want to get out really quickly. Couldn't tell you why I feel that way exactly.

Why would any sane person compare the inventory functions from a Gen 3 game to a Gen 5 game's obvious improvements? That is, quite simply, an unreasonable argument to make. GF improved on what was an already functional and well-deisgned system in Gen 2/3 and made it better in later Gens. That happens to multiple game mechanics in the Pokemon series, and it's what should happen all the time. All that's saying to me is that it's hard to go back to an earlier Gen, which is a sign that things are simply getting more and more refined like they should. :\

Also: I noticed nothing wrong with the FR/LG visual style, and various improvements like the magnanimous VS Seeker made it all the more worthwhile.

The reason for vast expanses of water being threatening, to me in particular, is that every tile of water is a chance to get a random encounter, which is something to mark the water sections against. But keeping a good supply of Repels should be wise in SP anyways, so as to make travel across a region and through routes more accommodating (sans HM moves, of course).

BlackJace

Calling it now:
RSE remakes to be announced: Magma Ruby and Aqua Sapphire.
To be released September 16 (funnily enough, exactly 8 years after Emerald)
3DS exclusive

And since opinions are being thrown around: RSE are the worst mainline games (but with the 2nd best story), but FRLG are good.

Oh no you didn't.

Busaiku

I feel like we have this topic every month now.

New Pokemon to be announced -> Pokemon Typing
New Pokemon to be announced -> Pokemon Rumble Blast
New Pokemon to be announced -> PokePark 2 Beyond the World
New Pokemon to be announced -> Pokemon x Nobunaga's Ambition

Wiseblade

The Gen III defense force grows ever stronger.

But this time is different! Masuda promised!

/optimism

Pokémon x Nobunaga's Ambition is cool, BTW.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am going to share my dream and It wouldn't happens.

2D Pokemon MMORPG for Wii U

Where we can logged and customize our pokemon trainers and challenge people over the internet. The world would be so huge, so they would reused the map from first 5 generations and complete the continents.

Also we could make a clan and group so it would motivate the people to able to purchase 2 vs 2 tag team, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4, and 5 vs 5 tournament style.

The Gen III defense force grows ever stronger.

WE ARE LEGION.

But this time is different! Masuda promised!

/optimism

Just remember Masuda appearing on Pokemon Smash immediately after the September 3DS conference... to promote a wifi Mewtwo event.

And realise that this man will stop at nothing to get Pokemon talked about, whether he's got something to show or not.

Suairyu

Banned
Whenever I am in a Pokémon thread I get massive deja vu and I think "wait, I had a dream about all this, didn't I? Oh, no, it's a memory from two days ago."

Boney

Banned
Gen 3 lovers are even worse than Gen 4 haters.

Clarify. Does that include the remakes? If so, then you are in the right. If not then he is in the right.

Fire Red and Leaf Green are incredible.

Playing Emerald and the two GCN games though made me realize just how important the Gen IV changes really were. You really feel it when you go back to those older games. Even simple stuff like Brick Break and Wing Attack being the best fighting and flying moves that you can usually get on most pokémon.

haven't played frlg but my problems with RS aren't the mechanics.

Its just that everything else is god awful

Wiseblade

Whenever I am in a Pokémon thread I get massive deja vu and I think "wait, I had a dream about all this, didn't I? Oh, no, it's a memory from two days ago."

HEY GUYS I HAVENT PLAYED A POGEYMANS GAME SINCE RBY BUT I THINK THEY ARE GETTING STALE NINTENDO SHOULD MAKE AN MMO

I didn't like FR/LG because the visuals were...well, I don't know. When I think of a remake, I expect to be wowed by the visual difference/improvement and although Pokemon isn't known for its graphics, it didn't really do anything for me at all. Plus, Kanto isn't the most exciting region as much as I love Pokemon Yellow.

However what really killed me was the music. It's weird because I like the music in R/S (it's probably what I like about RS the most), but the music in F/LG sounds absolutely horrible. ESPECIALLY the Champion theme. That's my favourite music track in any Pokemon game and the FR/LG version is absolute garbage...

If these really are remakes, then I just hope they improve upon R/S. I think HG/SS made me appreciate G/S more, so it'd be nice if remakes of R/S could do the same. Otherwise, bring on Grey.

Emitan

I didn't like FR/LG because the visuals were...well, I don't know. When I think of a remake, I expect to be wowed by the visual difference/improvement and although Pokemon isn't known for its graphics, it didn't really do anything for

It went from a system weaker than the NES to a system more powerful than the SNES and you're saying it doesn't really look different?

Lausebub

Banned
If this ends up being Grey for the 3DS, this thing is going to fuck everything up in Japan.
Scenario:

Fall 2012

Monster Hunter 4
Pokémon Grey
(Animal Crossing)*

*I'm not sure, but I feel like Animal Crossing is going to be a huge hit, if they nail the online and StreetPass and SpotPass stuff.

I would love to have a Pokémon in full 3D, it should be from the same perspective though, so the general feel of the game isn't lost. But I would appreciate more epic battles. Also: Better Pokémon sounds...

EDIT: @AnkiRendan: Yeah, this is like saying Ocarina of Time on the 3DS doesn't look better than the original for the N64.

Wichu

FR/LG graphics are better than R/S/E graphics. The sprite style in R/S/E is pretty bad.

R/S/E are still better

Now that we've got all that other stuff out of the way, it's time to move onto the real deal.

Pokemon Pinball 3DS!

It went from a system weaker than the NES to a system more powerful than the SNES and you're saying it doesn't really look different?

Sorry, maybe I should have explained that a bit better. It DOES look better of course, but because it was simply R/S graphics, including attack animations, I didn't really feel all that amazed by it. Any other additions besides the storyline after the Elite 4 didn't really wow me either.

Of course, I'm just a little strange. I still think that the Surf animation from G/S is better than any of the other games...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I very excited for the gen three remakes.

I hated gen two until they fixed Johto with the incredible Heart Gold and lesser Soul Silver.

I can only imagine what a good Hoenn would feel like.

I was just filling in the only thing missing from this iteration.

we are still missing anime talk, disdain about the anime talk and nostalgia whoring to make this like gaming side pokemon threads of old.
and horrifying Lyre locks , though those bad days are behind us

Suairyu

Banned
we are still missing anime talk, disdain about the anime talk and nostalgia whoring to make this like gaming side pokemon threads of old.
and horrifying Lyre locks , though those bad days are behind us
What did Lyre do? Other than being the worst mod in GAF history, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom