• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Datamined: Lots Of New Info, [February Open Beta Is Likely]

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Update:

Xabora said:
This is the DOTA2 store, missing textures and UI hook - Screenshot was taken ~7 days ago.
w1xKe.jpg
Original:

The Dota 2 client was datamined. There is a list of game modes, cash shop hints and newbie detector. <- There's a lot more here than is copied over into the OP.

Also, hats.

Edit: More models.

Other Information:

Archie said:
That was just PR speak. Every game in the genre is F2P and Valve will follow suit. The only thing that concerns me is this:

You play games like Dota regularly and don’t need any instruction. Selecting this will make you less likely to be in hero restricted games with auto-balancing

So help me god if they lock heroes behind pay walls. >:|
dota2j8xu.png

HotHamWater said:
The real question is, how do you feel about shitty wizards?
Archie said:
Archie said:
Ikuu said:
Spell Icons: http://www.dota2.cyborgmatt.com/spellicons/

Some are placeholders, lol.
Ikuu said:
Seems someone has leaked the beta, according to Reddit anyway, and someone found some potraits (at various stages) in the files.

aPfxY.jpg

Also from the soundfiles, lol.
Archie said:
Apparently some more WIP art leaked, although I am somewhat dubious of the authenticity. (I got it from a poster on the Playdota forums who got it from a Brazilian site).

sscuw.png

I see Dirge, Medusa(?), Omniknight, Luna and Alchemist(?).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
That was just PR speak. Every game in the genre is F2P and Valve will follow suit. The only thing that concerns me is this:

You play games like Dota regularly and don’t need any instruction. Selecting this will make you less likely to be in hero restricted games with auto-balancing

Xater

Archie said:

Or maybe it means they block certain heroes for noob games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Yeah, that is already confirmed if you select 'newbie', but that block of text I quoted is from the 'experienced' option.

FoxSpirit

Xater said:
Or maybe it means they block certain heroes for noob games.
Yeah, really curious, will you have to reach a certain ELO where all heroes are game? Or since the heroes are in categories, maybe a mechanism which prevents something like 5 people picking a hard-carry?

Will be interesting to see.

randomwab

Episode 3 info omg ;_;

Also, when's the beta for DotA 2 due to begin? I've never played any DotA style games, but I'm interested. Should I give LoL a shot first or what?

markot

Banned
Sounds like they may restrict heroes in newbie games, that is make the 'easier' heroes available only so people can learn the basics and also not be too freaked out by the competitors too at the start.

Also, where is the episode 3 thingy >.<?

Also, I want a courier monkey dressed up like the Scout!

Also again! The models are not neccessarily stuff from the 'store'.

The 'evil' donkey thingy should just be for the Dire team. The chicken, sheep and frog could just be environmental things, the rest look like things on the map/store >.<

V_Ben

Banned
Wait, there are files in that beta pertaining to Valve's space game? Please tell me that project still exists. A while back Gabe was interviewed, and talked about his dream project, which sounded like a mix between eve online and freelancer, with players building and designing their own ships, and sharing them amongst themselves. It sounded incredible, but the project hasn't been heard from since. I don't think it had even entered development at that point.

Edit: I think it was in an old issue of EDGE magazine, quite a while back. If that game has entered development, people are going to freak the hell out when they reveal it. The concept was so cool sounding.

DaBuddaDa

"Hero restricted games" means games in which certain heroes are banned from play, not that they are behind a pay wall. One of the major hurdles in becoming a competent DotA player is learning what every hero is capable of doing, which is a daunting task considering there are a bajillion different heroes. Having the choice to lock some out in a newbie game makes sense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The last Episode 3 news we got was when people data mined the Alien Swarm remake.

After Valve releases 40 more games, we might be able to piece together Episode 3 ourselves.

V_Ben said:
Wait, there are files in that beta pertaining to Valve's space game? Please tell me that project still exists. A while back Gabe was interviewed, and talked about his dream project, which sounded like a mix between eve online and freelancer, with players building and designing their own ships, and sharing them amongst themselves. It sounded incredible, but the project hasn't been heard from since. I don't think it had even entered development at that point.

Edit: I think it was in an old issue of EDGE magazine, quite a while back. If that game has entered development, people are going to freak the hell out when they reveal it. The concept was so cool sounding.

The project that Gabe was talking about recently that would take 5 years to complete is probably this, since it seemed like it was Gabe's pet project. I wouldn't be surprised if it entered into development within the last year.

Orayn

EatChildren said:
The last Episode 3 news we got was when people data mined the Alien Swarm remake.

After Valve releases 40 more games, we might be able to piece together Episode 3 ourselves.
Truly the greatest ARG ever made.

Also, nice to hear that this will be F2P. As long as Valve handles the cash shop in a sane fashion, it won't cause too many problems.

V_Ben

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
The project that Gabe was talking about recently that would take 5 years to complete is probably this, since it seemed like it was Gabe's pet project. I wouldn't be surprised if it entered into development within the last year.

Yeah, the story I read a while ago about the game always made it seem like the game was Gabe's personal quest. He really wanted it to get made. Also, it'll probably be free to play, with players buying and selling ship designs from each other. It just fits together.

...I wonder if that is what Doug Church is working on...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Archie said:

Taken in context with the entire thing:
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_Title" "WELCOME TO DOTA 2!"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_Question" "PLEASE SELECT YOUR LEVEL OF FAMILIARITY WITH DOTA:"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_NewbieButton" "New"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_NewbieText" "You have a limited understanding of games like Dota. In your games players will be restricted to playing only those heroes that are easiest to understand, and levels will be auto-balanced."
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_FamiliarButton" "Familiar"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_FamiliarText" "You have a good idea how Dota works - you might be a little rusty but are ready to jump in."
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_ExperiencedButton" "Experienced"
"DOTA_NewPlayerQuestion_ExperiencedText" "You play games like Dota regularly and don’t need any instruction. Selecting this will make you less likely to be in hero restricted games with auto-balancing."

It seems to me that it just means you're less likely to end up in games with "new" players who are restricted and auto-balanced.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EatChildren said:

Episode 3 is a release metagame for hardcore fans!

markot

Banned
Is he still called clockwork? I hope he isnt rattletrap >.<... well its not too bad.

Teknopathetic said:
"That dwarf looks like a WoW dwarf ^"

Also looks like a Warhammer dwarf.

Srsly, Dwarves are like one of the most.... static fantasy creatures out there. Short. Stout. Beard. Ale.

Top Bottom