• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

shingi70

Banned
So the fox deal is that marvel can use skrulls, but not the Super Skrull. Does that just pertain to Kl'rt? Could Marvel just create a mCU skrull that has the combined powers of the avengers like in Secert Invasion.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The new Captain Marvel logo is a bit rubbish.

The old one was so much cooler:

22ff9cb792ea849c1b34c2e41d97641a5b393622.jpg

Neoxon

So the fox deal is that marvel can use skrulls, but not the Super Skrull. Does that just pertain to Kl'rt? Could Marvel just create a mCU skrull that has the combined powers of the avengers like in Secert Invasion.
I think they meant Kl'rt in particular.

Penguin

ABC is going to run Inhumans on Friday nights at 9.

Sending that shit out to die.
And sadly with good reason, they are like 0 and 2 w/ MCU shows on their network. They kind of have an idea of what to expect, but it's a loyal and passionate fanbase who are gonna follow this on Friday and SHIELD when it returns in the Spring.

We'll all be watching Inhumans in the theater anyway, right?

right?

Only the first two episodes are in theaters

The other 6 are TV
And you're European!

I can't wait to rub it in your face when everyone realizes how cool Black Bolt is and he becomes the Iron Man of the MCTVU.

Kids across the world will want to be Black Bolt for Halloween, ask for Lockjaw toys for Christmas, and buy Meduaa cards of Valentines.

THE INHUMANS SHALL RULE ONCE MORE.

Pachimari

I'm ready for Agents of Shield to come to an end, an for Inhumans to suffer a quick death and welcome a new and brighter dawn of MCU television: Cloak & Dagger, Runaways and New Warriors.

Really, I'm more excited about these three shows than another season of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

I wonder if AoS will be 13 episodes and run in the Spring. They better finish it off with some reference to Infinity War or the larger MCU.

And you're European!
I thought Inhumans would premiere in IMAX in more than 40 countries? Because I'm counting on being at my cinema day one.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm ready for Agents of Shield to come to an end, an for Inhumans to suffer a quick death and welcome a new and brighter dawn of MCU television: Cloak & Dagger, Runaways and New Warriors.

Really, I'm more excited about these three shows than another season of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

I wonder if AoS will be 13 episodes and run in the Spring. They better finish it off with some reference to Infinity War or the larger MCU.

I'm currently reading the Daredevil Born Again arc for the first time, and man, I'm really excited to see them adapt that arc as originally hinted for the third season of that show. Could be bloody phenomenal, and a great return to form after all the ninja nonsense that plagued the last season.

Pachimari

I'm currently reading the Daredevil Born Again arc for the first time, and man, I'm really excited to see them adapt that arc as originally hinted for the third season of that show. Could be bloody phenomenal, and a great return to form after all the ninja nonsense that plagued the last season.
Season 3 of Daredevil is my most anticipated MCU production. Anything Daredevil will always be what I'm looking forward to the most. Can't wait for that arc on television.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
And you're European!

Not for long! #brexit

I thought Inhumans would premiere in IMAX in more than 40 countries? Because I'm counting on being at my cinema day one.

I hope so, I was going to see it in a cinema since I have an unlimited pass anyway and it's worth the novelty.

S5 of AoS will be 22 episodes.

Pachimari

Now that we are getting a full blown season in spring I hope they got some references to Wakanda, their technology, culture and stuff. Damn I can't wait to watch Black Panther in the cinema. Less than a year!

SpaceWolf

Banned
Now that we are getting a full blown season in spring I hope they got some references to Wakanda, their technology, culture and stuff. Damn I can't wait to watch Black Panther in the cinema. Less than a year!

I don't watch the show, but personally, I'd be really intrigued to see them attempt to connect more to the Netflix shows, even if in the form of a passing reference to The Defenders.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This was in the press release for the new ABC schedule, I don't know if we had quite this much detail about Inhumans before:

Deadline said:
MARVEL'S INHUMANS — ”Marvel's Inhumans" explores the never-before-told epic adventure of the royal family including Black Bolt, the enigmatic, commanding King of the Inhumans, with a voice so powerful that the slightest whisper can destroy a city. After the Royal Family of Inhumans is splintered by a military coup, they barely escape to Hawaii where their surprising interactions with the lush world and humanity around them may prove to not only save them, but Earth itself. The legendary comic book series will be brought to life in a way that has never been done before, as a version of the first two episodes will be shown globally in IMAX theaters for a two-week period beginning September 1, 2017. ABC will then air the entirety of the series on the network, with additional exclusive content that can only been seen on ABC. ”Marvel's Inhumans" stars Anson Mount as Black Bolt, Iwan Rheon as Maximus, Serinda Swan as Medusa, Eme Ikwuakor as Gorgon, Isabelle Cornish as Crystal, Ken Leung as Karnak, Ellen Woglom as an undisclosed character, Sonya Balmores as Auran and Mike Moh as Triton.

The series is executive produced by Scott Buck, along with Marvel's Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory with Buck serving as showrunner. Roel Reiné will direct the first two episodes. This series is a Marvel and IMAX project and is co-produced by Marvel Television and ABC Studios.

El Topo

That might have been true in the 90s. Fox probably owns it today, there's circumstantial evidence to support that.

I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever. No one seems to be able to explain how the rights supposedly went from Constantin to Fox, let alone why the former is still a co-producer despite all that.
Now we have no idea what kind of deal Fox struck with Constantin, but it is safe to say that it is not as easy as "Fox owns the rights".

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That might have been true in the 90s. Fox probably owns it today, there's circumstantial evidence to support that.
No. You are wrong.
Only because everyone is to stupid to adress it in the right way doesnt change the reality.

Anyway, feel free to post the evidences, I hope its something beside "James Gunn said on his Twitter"

Where is this evidence?

I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever. No one seems to be able to explain how the rights supposedly went from Constantin to Fox, let alone why the former is still a co-producer despite all that.
Now we have no idea what kind of deal Fox struck with Constantin, but it is safe to say that it is not as easy as "Fox owns the rights".

No. You are wrong.
Only because everyone is to stupid to adress it in the right way doesnt change the reality.

Anyway, feel free to post the evidences, I hope its something beside "James Gunn said on his Twitter"

I said circumstantial evidence. Big difference.

- Constantin got the original rights in 1986, started photography in 1992 and "released" in 1994. This was done to keep the rights. That suggests the movie had to start production in 6 years and release in 8 years to keep the rights. Constantin produced that as per imdb.
- Next movie didn't release until 2005 and production on that didn't start until 2004. It was supposed to start in the 90s, but it never happened. Based on the rush to keep the rights for the 1994 release, it stands to reason that the rights lapsed and it was amended or a new contract was drawn. The timing to make movies is similar to before as we know Fox's 2015 movie was made at the bottom of the 9th to keep the rights.
- Fantastic Four, FF ROTSS, and Fan4stic are all produced by Fox in association with Constantin and Marvel as per imdb. Constantin owns distribution rights in Germany.
- Marvel had to deal with Fox, not Constantin, to get the full production rights to Ego. Had Constantin still owned the contract, that wouldn't be feasible without their okay
- The last movie specifically said "Property of Fox" on the trailer and ™ AND © 2017 TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PROPERTY OF FOX. This wouldn't happen if Constantin owned the rights.
http://www.fantasticfourmovie.com/home
Compare that with the latest Resident Evil movie. © 2016 Constantin Film Produktion GmbH. All Rights Reserved.
© 2017 Layout and Design Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.evilcomeshome.com/
- Gunn and Feige have said, in passing or otherwise, that Fox owns the rights and they would have to deal with them. While execs and directors are often wrong, given there's no evidence to the contrary, I will believe them here.

Feel free to post any evidence or circumstantial evidence that Constantin still owns the production rights to Fantastic Four in 2017. Believe me, I have looked and found absolutely nothing. I would love to be wrong as that means there would be a good chance that Marvel would get the rights to the FF. Based on everything I posted above though, I doubt I'm incorrect.

El Topo

1) Once they had started shooting the Roger Corman movie, the rights extened for another ten years. We know this from people involved.
2) Whether a movie is produced by Fox is irrelevant for the discussion of who actually owns the property. Constantin is listed as a co-producer, as you admit. You don't seem to have an explanation for that. Constantin produces the Resident Evil movies, which also explains the conundrum you mention. There is no doubt that Fox produces the movie, but whether they hold the actual rights (or what kind of deal they struck with Constantin) is unknown and cannot be gleemed from that.
3) It is absolutely laughable to expect Feige or Gunn to give an elaborate, intricate answer on the rights issue in some random interview. For all intents and purposes Fox runs things, whether they own the actual movie rights or not.

No offense, but none of what you mention counts as evidence. Not even, as you say, circumstantial evidence. I will also add that, especially in German media, there is really no doubt about the issue.
Give me any explanation on how the rights ended up at Fox. Surely there is a press release somewhere? A note that says "Fox buys FF rights"? Surely there is *anything* official that would indicate that they own the rights?

1) Once they had started shooting the Roger Corman movie, the rights extened for another ten years. We know this from people involved.
2) Whether a movie is produced by Fox is irrelevant for the discussion of who actually owns the property. Constantin is listed as a co-producer, as you admit. You don't seem to have an explanation for that.
3) Who exactly Marvel had to deal with in detail and who else had to be contacted is something that we cannot gleem from interview snippets. Mentioned again in 5).
4) FOX produces the movie. There is no doubt about that. Whether they actually own the movie rights is a different issue altogether and it's laughable to attempt to draw this from trailers. Resident Evil is produced by Constantin itself.
5) It is absolutely laughable to expect Feige or anyone involved to give an elaborate, intricate answer on the rights issue in some random interview.

No offense, but none of what you mention counts as evidence. Not even, as you say, circumstantial evidence.

1) Point me to a reputable place where it says that
2) I'm not gonna address everything else you said because they are all refutable, as you have done so yourself. However, there's more to link the rights to Fox than the other way around. Can you provide stronger evidence (circumstantial or otherwise) or inference that Constantin owns the movie rights in 2017?

EDIT: AFAIK, there was no press release when the deadpool rights ended up at Fox. There's no press release when the Ghost Rider or Taskmaster rights reverted to Marvel, why then would expect a press release for something like this back in the late 90s, early 2000s, when no one really cared about comic book heroes in the first place?

"Hey, guys, I make a thesis without any real evidence, but you are the one who have to proof that the status quo continues!"

"Hey guys, I have no evidence to the contrary"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
"Hey, guys, I make a thesis without any real evidence, but you are the one who have to proof that the status quo continues!"

EDIT: AFAIK, there was no press release when the deadpool rights ended up at Fox.
Why should they make a Pressrelease when the owner of the X-Men rights wants to make a movie around a mutant?
There's no press release when the Ghost Rider or Taskmaster rights reverted to Marvel,
Plain and simple wrong.

Why should they make a Pressrelease when the owner of the X-Men rights wants to make a movie around a mutant?

Plain and simple wrong.

Deadpool is a different license than the 1993 X-Men one. Someone who posted over 1000 times on the last thread should know that.

http://variety.com/2000/film/news/artisan-deal-a-real-marvel-1117781709/

Point me to the press release, please.

You want to proof that the status quo has changed. Dont turn this discussion around.

I'm not trying to prove anything, buddy. Status quo has changed otherwise Constantin would make a movie with New Horizon again.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Source: Your Imagination

But hey, look, how Constantin lost the rights while having the franchise two times for almost a decade on hiatus. Oh wait, they stayed at Constantin booth times. Hm.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Source: Your Imagination

But hey, look, how Constantin lost the rights while having the franchise two times for almost a decade on hiatus. Oh wait, they stayed at Constantin booth times. Hm.
Wait if what they're saying is false, why does the movie say property of Fox rather than Constantin?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wait if what they're saying is false, why does the movie say property of Fox rather than Constantin?

Then explain me why they continue to be executive producer?
Also, do the Resident Evil Movies say property of Constantin Film? I have never seen any of them, but when I saw trailers at the cinema, it was all Sony.

El Topo

1) Point me to a reputable place where it says that

This is from Marty Langford (in a VICE article), who is well-known for 'Doomed!: The Untold Story of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four'. It is completely unreasonable to assume that the rights actually expired after the Corman movie and then somehow secretly ended up at Fox.

2) I'm not gonna address everything else you said because they are all refutable, as you have done so yourself. However, there's more to link the rights to Fox than the other way around. Can you provide stronger evidence (circumstantial or otherwise) or inference that Constantin owns the movie rights in 2017?

Interview snippets are not evidence. As I mentioned in other threads, for all intents and purposes Fox seems to run these things and it is unreasonable to expect Feige or Gunn to give an intricate answer on complicated rights issues. Furthermore, you can find similar interview snippets in German regarding Constantin, e.g. in respected newspaper Welt.

I'm also not really sure why you consider disclaimers in the trailer or on websites circumstantial evidence. Fox doesn't own the Fantastic Four, they don't even need to own the general movie rights. They *do* however own their own movie production. You would have to prove that the disclaimer somehow shows that Fox owns the Fantastic Four movie rights (but not the property as a whole), which you are free to do.

The evidence is significantly stronger for Constantin because we can actually trace the rights back to Constantin without any problem, something which is impossible with Fox. We know Eichinger bought the rights, we know why they produced the movie, we have (from an expert on the issue) the 10-year statement and we know Constantin continues to be a co-producer.

One would essentially have to answer to questions with reasonable evidence:
1. When and how did Fox obtain the movie rights?
2. Why is Constantin a co-producer?

Now we have no idea what deal Constantin and Fox actually struck. Both have been very secretive on the deal and Constantin is also infamous for its silence regarding the Corman movie. It seems unreasonable to assume though, given what we know, that Fox owns the movie rights (in a traditional manner). I have seen people bring up the idea of a movie rights leasing deal which perpetually grants Constantin co-producer credits and distribution rights, but I have no idea if that is true.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Then explain me why they continue to be executive producer?
Also, do the Resident Evil Movies say property of Constantin Film? I have never seen any of them, but when I saw trailers at the cinema, it was all Sony.
Maybe the contacts that were drawn up require them to be executive producers?

Also, they literately posted links to the official movie websites alongside their copyright info.

You dismissing their posts off-hand as coming only from their imagination while providing no proof of they being wrong other than "well Constantin had the rights before" is kinda crappy.

I'm not saying Constantin doesn't have the rights, only that you're being strangely dismissive and a bit aggressive for something that you don't have first hand knowledge of. None of us do.

EDIT: Above is a reasonable post.

Where is this evidence?

Remember the Alan Davis cover for Empire Magazine's May subscribers cover? Well, here is the regular one going out on newsstands:

I don't know if the suit would look better without the black lines on the legs or if they're the only thing keeping it from looking weird. I feel like they should have had something else going on inside the lines (darker blue patches, maybe?) because they sort of look like an afterthought atm. Like they realised the legs looked bare and just slapped some lines on to fill in the space.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe the contacts that were drawn up require them to be executive producers?

Also, they literately posted links to the official movie websites alongside their copyright info.

You dismissing their posts off-hand as coming only from their imagination while providing no proof of they being wrong other than "well Constantin had the rights before" is kinda crappy.

I'm not saying Constantin doesn't have the rights, only that you're being strangely dismissive and a bit aggressive for something that you don't have first hand knowledge of. None of us do.

EDIT: Above is a reasonable post.

I am annoyed, because I really hate discussions where people make a new thesis and want people to proof them wrong, while they are the ones who are obligated to deliver the facts. If you make a new thesis, you are the one who has to deliver facts, not have to tell other to deliver proof that the status quo continued. Nobody can do this until the next movie releases and most likely this wont be in the next 3-5 years. Until then, we have to assume that the status quo continues to exist.
I just really, really hate this discussion style. Because there is no way to proof him wrong unless you work as a lawyer for Constantin or Fox.

Pachimari

I can't for the life of me remember where the Darkhold book came from, but weren't it usually lying around one of the sanctuaries (from Doctor Strange) ?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So wonder how the 2 weeks works...

Cause means would either premiere on Sept 15th, EXACTLY 2 weeks

Or Sept 22nd, which is 2 full weeks in theater and premieres next available Friday

I think it'll air Sept. 22. They mean two full weeks in theater. Another source said the show would begin on ABC "three weeks" after the Sept. 1 IMAX debut.

Top Bottom