• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

Zeta Oni

Online feels dead.

Doesn't surprise me, but at the same time it is a bit disappointing.

Last time I tried playing there was all of two lobbies up for the hour or so I was on.

I think that from one perspective, the game has done it's job and exposed a legitimately hidden gem to a lot of players who never heard of or got the chance to play it. That said, id be curious to see if this project ended up being worthwhile for the IP in general, seeing as far as we know things on sequel/reboot front are still dead in the water.

I think when you look at the bigger picture, the point a lot of fans of the original release were always trying to make was that the game was ahead of its time. The mechanics in place in a game from 2004 could still translate into a playable experience 13 years later, all while fitting perfectly with the industry's GaaS focus. I feel the HD rerelease has done a great job of illustrating that. If only the people in charge of things could actually manage to get a team with a vision on this IP, then I feel it could easily be a cornerstone of the Xbox lineup while offering something truly unique in the medium.

Regardless, ill still keep popping up for the occasional match here and there.

malfcn

So far there have been 2 missions i can't beat. One with the three sisters in memory city. The last part she can attack through walls.

Also, I need to get a +/-5 for a pop.

Phreaker

Phantom Dust got a new update today. Voice chat is back to working how it did in the original release, with the added option of opting out of voice chat all together!

https://www.microsoftstudios.com/news/2017/07/27/phantom-dust-update-3-patch-notes/

• In online multiplayer in the Tag Team Game Type each team now has their own private voice chat channel during game play rather than one group chat (except when player uses the Mind Reading skill to eavesdrop on opposing team). Chat remains group chat in lobby and all other online play modes.
  • Users may now opt-out (or opt-in) for the in-game voice chat via Xbox Live Options menu, in-game pause menu during online play, or in Options in the online game lobby.

peppers

So I just had a fight with
Edgar because Meister had to decide who gets into the search party for Freia. Turns out I lost,
but I didn't have a chance to fight again
so my question is: does the story get divided into two possible paths, or is it
one of those videogame fights you're not supposed to win, like Jetstream Sam at the beginning of MG Rising?

FyreWulff

So I just had a fight with
Edgar because Meister had to decide who gets into the search party for Freia. Turns out I lost,
but I didn't have a chance to fight again
so my question is: does the story get divided into two possible paths, or is it
one of those videogame fights you're not supposed to win, like Jetstream Sam at the beginning of MG Rising?

not supposed to win

peppers

Since I finally returned to this game, I feel like posting a few impressions so far:

I'm at mission 45 (chapter 4) or so and so far this game is incredible. The game seems to be endlessly deep and the story is pretty good although much of the time i'm doing side missions that have little to no impact to the overall universe like finding recipes for the barman or training a robot named Guard etc. I feel like due to maybe budget constraints (back in 2004 of course) there's not much interaction between characters aside from the main two (three?), but there are some interesting ones that should have been explored. Like for example there's this girl near the exit called Tsubutaki that hates herself for some reason (i don't know if this gets explained later don't jump on me) and I'd love it if there was a quest or a side storyline to kinda help her with her stuff. Maybe the mystery surrounding the universe is what makes it interesting but I dunno I'd like to see it expanded.

I understand that the difficulty of each encounter is based on the arsenal you use, and therefore experimentation and deck tweaking is encouraged; however, I have had some fights that I knew I could easily beat with more defensive skills (
fucking Carcino wtf were those lasers man
) but since I knew I could do it with my current deck I just insisted until I beat it.

I fear that if I get into matchmaking I probably will have my ass handed to me but I literally cannot wait ( Is there an official GAF club on Xbox Live?). Also I'd love to be able to play this on the go, on the iPad for example. I don't own a NSwitch but this seems the perfect game to play with it too lol.

Top Bottom