• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

SwolBro

Banned
What panel did you pick up? I remember that we suggested the U2414H before.

Scorpio won't do higher than 60hz, and Adaptive Refresh doesn't matter for console

I never picked up anything, i'm still using an asus ips. I have a hard time seeing distances sometimes on it and i've never liked the colors. Some colors are too bright.

How do you know scorpio won't do higher than 60hz? Maybe Respawn decides to lock in 1080p instead of 4k, so they could offer higher frames right?

Tokubetsu

I need a new monitor. I haven't much enjoyed this 27inch IPS since the day i got it. It's a nice looking monitor but it won't cut it anymore.

I'm thinking i want:

• 1080p
  • 24inch
  • Freesync since this is for the xbone
  • at least 120mhz (just incase the scorpio can do more than 60 , what are the chances? )
  • Lowest response time possible, 1ms is ideal of course.
  • Under $300.
Anyone have any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGYM5H6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i don't own this one but asus monitors have served me well. It's not 144hz tho

So I haven't played in a bit, so I decided to get back into it. The PC community is just gone. 1.8k players on a Sunday. I had to wait a few minutes to even get into an Attrition match. Disappointing.

On PC they just need to put this game in the Vault already. It's the only way it's going to have somewhat of a pop.

I'm gonna say it and probably nobody is going to like it but i think they should just go all out on a player vs player game next time and make the titans a different game or something.

I miss the days of player vs player from iw/respawn, with this movement set and how refined everything is i want true player vs player maps and modes from these guy's.

Ah well that's just me though, i dont think a lot of people feel this way. Still really like the game though

SwolBro

Banned
I'm gonna say it and probably nobody is going to like it but i think they should just go all out on a player vs player game next time and make the titans a different game or something.

I miss the days of player vs player from iw/respawn, with this movement set and how refined everything is i want true player vs player maps and modes from these guy's.

Ah well that's just me though, i dont think a lot of people feel this way. Still really like the game though

The integration between pilot v titan combat this time wasn't as good as it was in the first game.

The integration between pilot v titan combat this time wasn't as good as it was in the first game.

I also think a lot of people just don't like the titans or understand them and get frustrated

Mechanically this is the best game i played, this game does for me what cod4 did back in the day. It ruins all other shooter that come out after it because it controls and plays so unbelievably well.
I just think it needs to be an other game.

These are the guys that made friggin call of duty what it is, 10k people on prime time sunday can't be it.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I need a new monitor. I haven't much enjoyed this 27inch IPS since the day i got it. It's a nice looking monitor but it won't cut it anymore.

I'm thinking i want:

• 1080p
  • 24inch
  • Freesync since this is for the xbone
  • at least 120mhz (just incase the scorpio can do more than 60 , what are the chances? )
  • Lowest response time possible, 1ms is ideal of course.
  • Under $300.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Try posting that in this thread for better feedback

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352338&highlight=

Bounty Hunt is really rough when every match you play is always against a preset group, let me solo queue in peace

Especially when it's 5 Ronins who can melee all the grunts and group nuke the Titan, stop pairing me against them

Edit: And the first match where there's no pre-made groups, ISP decides to throttle me to ludicrous levels of ping, nope, I give up

Izuna

Banned
I never picked up anything, i'm still using an asus ips. I have a hard time seeing distances sometimes on it and i've never liked the colors. Some colors are too bright.

How do you know scorpio won't do higher than 60hz? Maybe Respawn decides to lock in 1080p instead of 4k, so they could offer higher frames right?

A few things

It's possible your Asus can be calibrated (though let us know the model number so I can tell you if it really is bad af)

The point of an IPS is good viewing angles and accurate colours. TN/VA have gotten pretty good at this and in general much cheaper. If you wanted >60hz you're likely looking at one of those.

Titanfall 2, again, is 1440p on the PS4 Pro.

>60hz for consoles would be pointless to invest in for MS or say, Respawn, because it won't work for like 99% of console consumers. Especially when we're going to be setting our co soles to upscale/output to 4k, there's just no way we are going to output 4k@120hz. This is a PC thing specifically.

Adaptive Refresh is another thing that, if Scorpio allows, wouldn't work for anyone with a TV. We would all be very shocked, and for the most part, will definitely not affect Titanfall 2.

~~

ASUS actually makes the penultimate IPS atm for gaming (Predator). What you have might be old or uncalibrated. Let us know :)

SwolBro

Banned
I also think a lot of people just don't like the titans or understand them and get frustrated

Mechanically this is the best game i played, this game does for me what cod4 did back in the day. It ruins all other shooter that come out after it because it controls and plays so unbelievably well.
I just think it needs to be an other game.
This is how a lot of us felt about Titanfall 1. Have you ever played it? It's actually shocking how much harder Titanfall 1 is.

These are the guys that made friggin call of duty what it is, 10k people on prime time sunday can't be it.
To be fair not many games are pulling in massive numbers. From what i understand the new COD is pulling in 20k or so at one time, daily. That's not good for a game that sold that many copies more.

A few things

It's possible your Asus can be calibrated (though let us know the model number so I can tell you if it really is bad af)

The point of an IPS is good viewing angles and accurate colours. TN/VA have gotten pretty good at this and in general much cheaper. If you wanted >60hz you're likely looking at one of those.

Titanfall 2, again, is 1440p on the PS4 Pro.

>60hz for consoles would be pointless to invest in for MS or say, Respawn, because it won't work for like 99% of console consumers. Especially when we're going to be setting our co soles to upscale/output to 4k, there's just no way we are going to output 4k@120hz. This is a PC thing specifically.

Adaptive Refresh is another thing that, if Scorpio allows, wouldn't work for anyone with a TV. We would all be very shocked, and for the most part, will definitely not affect Titanfall 2.

~~

ASUS actually makes the penultimate IPS atm for gaming (Predator). What you have might be old or uncalibrated. Let us know :)

I'll admit right off the bat that TV/monitor tech is not my area. TV/Monitor manufacturers try to confuse consumers as much as possible and i'm not passionate about it enough to keep up.

Yeah, my monitor, which i believe i might have seen mentioned on gaf or even the Titanfall 1 before is a an Asus mx279h. It seems very much like the Dell you suggested. I've read up on the differences between TN and IPS and yeah for console gaming IPS monitors seem like the better value (i probably read that before as well when i decided to purchase this monitor) but for whatever reason i could never get it to look right. I'm not a fan of 27inches that's for sure. Rather keep it at 24.

I read a lot of Asus monitors don't have flicker free tech? After a while i do get fatigued with this monitor. That's another issue. I've also tried to adjust the Xbox settings from RGB PC to TV or whatever that option is. Without the PC RGB option the blacks get all washed out. Nothing i do in the monitor settings help much.

So, Titanfall 2 on PS4 pro is 1440p? At what frame rate? So i should be shooting for a higher res monitor then eh?

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, my monitor, which i believe i might have seen mentioned on gaf or even the Titanfall 1 before is a an Asus mx279h. It seems very much like the Dell you suggested. I've read up on the differences between TN and IPS and yeah for console gaming IPS monitors seem like the better value (i probably read that before as well when i decided to purchase this monitor) but for whatever reason i could never get it to look right. I'm not a fan of 27inches that's for sure. Rather keep it at 24.

Reading up on your monitor, it's quite old. Supposedly, it has quite bad response times.

YTMsohP.jpg

FWIW, these tests are a little arbitrary, but that's on the poor end. As for colours, no I can't find any proper tests, but it was average for its time for sRBG back in 2013. It also apparently has average viewing angles for an IPS.

I think in this case, the U2414h would be quite the upgrade, but bare with me.

I read a lot of Asus monitors don't have flicker free tech? After a while i do get fatigued with this monitor. That's another issue. I've also tried to adjust the Xbox settings from RGB PC to TV or whatever that option is. Without the PC RGB option the blacks get all washed out. Nothing i do in the monitor settings help much.

For "flicker-free", I can't say I know what it's like to not have it. U2414H was the second screen I bought/used and it is. I don't think you need to consider this on later models, but in case you wanted to cross-reference:

There has been a massive surge in the focus on ‘flicker-free' monitors from many manufacturers since this list was first introduced on TFTCentral. As a result, the list is almost certainly not exhaustive. We will try to keep it updated for now, but at some point we will probably have to stop maintaining it. We will of course continue to mention whether upcoming models have a flicker-free backlight in our news pieces. We will also continue to test for this in our reviews.
-- via http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/flicker_free_database.htm

For PC RGB, typically, if you have a PC Monitor, you want to be using that. Some monitors can accept TV/Limited, but not all. tl;dr, your Xbox and screen just has to match and it'll look correct.

Your issues with colour are most likely poor calibration mixed with a relatively older screen. Thankfully, 2015 onwards monitors have been really good having factory calibrated colours, so when you get your new screen you won't have to fiddle with it.

So, Titanfall 2 on PS4 pro is 1440p? At what frame rate? So i should be shooting for a higher res monitor then eh?

Depends on your budget, tbh.

Since you're looking at Scorpio, you wouldn't go wrong with a 4k screen. Especially since you're console only, 60hz and the fact that you don't need adaptive refresh means you have a lot of options.

As for the U2414h suggestion, it's really only because, despite holding its value after all these years, it's comparable with IQ with even recent IPS.

--

Suggestions:

If your budget is huge, then look in any recent PC Monitor thread on GAF for the current monsters, otherwise...

BenQ GL2460HM

ASUS VC239H

These are priced very good and are essentially great at 1080p, 24" IPS panels with ~2ms response times.

~~

If you want to go higher than 1080p, and go to 4k, there's a really good IPS 4K panel (it's 27" though) LG 27UD68P

My issue with this screen is that it's priced almost the same as some of the later screens we're gunna get.

Final note: while 4k > 1080p, the Scorpio will take a game at 4k or whatever and downscale to 1080p, meaning that you still get IQ benefits.

I've been running one of these 23" Dells since apparently 2011: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HIJXVC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I upgraded from the that old Asus EVO monitor. I forget the model but it was 24" low input lag and very cheap.

For Xbox One the Dell I've been running has been really good. Even 24" I found to be just a little too big for Xbox. I kind of feel like if you're having trouble seeing stuff part of it might just be the super soft resolution you get on Xbox One.

Because of Scorpio and PS4 Pro I personally am looking to upgrade. Something decent that's 4k and HDR. Probably 24". I run 27" 1440p on PC which is pretty great for productivity. But for console I'm going to want to keep it small just because I find for my viewing distance 27" is a bit big for games.

If you plan on upgrading to the 4k consoles then I would not recommend investing in a 1080p monitor at this time. I'm going to wait to see whatever is best once Scorpio release is near.

Izuna

Banned
4k HDR won't be practical for monitors for a long ass time, sadly

I've been running one of these 23" Dells since apparently 2011: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HIJXVC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I upgraded from the that old Asus EVO monitor. I forget the model but it was 24" low input lag and very cheap.

For Xbox One the Dell I've been running has been really good. Even 24" I found to be just a little too big for Xbox. I kind of feel like if you're having trouble seeing stuff part of it might just be the super soft resolution you get on Xbox One.

Because of Scorpio and PS4 Pro I personally am looking to upgrade. Something decent that's 4k and HDR. Probably 24". I run 27" 1440p on PC which is pretty great for productivity. But for console I'm going to want to keep it small just because I find for my viewing distance 27" is a bit big for games.

If you plan on upgrading to the 4k consoles then I would not recommend investing in a 1080p monitor at this time. I'm going to wait to see whatever is best once Scorpio release is near.

24" 1080p is fine for Xbox One. Even on this TN (which I hate primarily for its bad viewing angles), Ryse still looked amazing.

What I have is https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N943JIO/ -- 24GM77

Discontinued, Overpriced as fuck. One of the first 120hz gaming TN Panels (not real 144hz) but it's still a fucking TN Panel.

Vastly prefer my old Dell UltraSharp.

My brother picked up a 1440p PLS and it's actually quite good. Ofc, not the resolution you want for consoles.

I guess if you guys don't like what we're doing we could always stop spending our development time and dollars supporting Titanfall 2 and move on to something else? ;)

I'll say I used to frequently read this thread but the constant "We know better than anyone" attitude isn't very helpful. I'll happily read through walls of text, usually, but after a while its hard to take things seriously around here. The signal to noise ratio becomes too diluted. Obviously everyone is allowed their opinion, but at some point you have to realize there are people on the other end who have spent years of their lives poured in to a game - often at the expense of things like a social life or time with their families. Some decency and respect for that goes a long way. Not looking for sympathy (we all chose to do this for a living and love the hell outta it), just the reality of the situation.

For reals though - its been pretty tough recovering from shipping the game and there's a whole boatload of legal reasons we can't talk about our plans. Blame who you want (I'll definitely take some, if you'd like), but thems the breaks. Even posting an FNN takes a ridiculous amount of effort - the likes of which you wouldn't believe. I share an office with Jay and I watch the poor guy battling day in/day out with all these outside forces.

We've got a lot of really smart, passionate folks cranking away on really cool stuff. Wish we were allowed to say more, and release quicker, but unfortunately I don't get to decide how the cookie crumbles.

TF2 is my favorite game this gen. Me and my friends have been playing regularly since November...I don't think any game has ever kept our attention like that. There legit nothing like a super competitive LTS match.

bigJP

think im starting to get the hang of ion. just need to monitor my energy levels but in the right hands, i see why a good ion is deadly.

northstar, when it clicks, its godly

SwolBro

Banned
Going to shop around and see. Maybe put it on the best buy card, so i'll see what they have.

I'll probably go 1440p and around 23-24 inches. I hear that if you go too small 1440p would be pointless?

On another note it's becoming increasingly more difficult sticking with a CAR in higher level play. The Carbine is TOO GOOD and a lot of good players have adjusted their sensitivities so that hipfire sensitivity is really high, while keeping the ADS low. This allows people to flip around instantly and quickly snap to target with the ADS.

It's dumb that some of these guns don't fit specific roles. I'm all for an all purpose weapon like the 101 but only when it's not ridiculously easy to use. The 201 is too good at everything on console and even weapons like a spitfire can cross map you with ease so running SMGs on console is pointless, really.

1440p for console will be pointless. PS4 Pro and presumably Scorpio will put out 1080p or 4k, but not things in between. And the 1440p monitor won't take a 4k signal, so what you'd get for PS4 Pro TF2 for example would be 1440p rendered in game, scaled down to 1080p and sent over HDMI to your monitor which then upscales it back to 1080p.

SwolBro

Banned
1440p for console will be pointless. PS4 Pro and presumably Scorpio will put out 1080p or 4k, but not things in between. And the 1440p monitor won't take a 4k signal, so what you'd get for PS4 Pro TF2 for example would be 1440p rendered in game, scaled down to 1080p and sent over HDMI to your monitor which then upscales it back to 1080p.

I meant to say 4k.

PS4 doesn't even do 4k does it? I thought izuna said 1440p. The scoprio will though, right? And if it does is it stupid to go with something lower than 24inch? Everything i read said 27inch is what you should get for 4k.

Izuna

Banned
I meant to say 4k.

Consoles are stupid, they only output HD, Full HD and UHD. So even if a game is rendered in 1440p, you will have to output at 1080p (or 4K).

It's not a great idea because of how the divisions work. 1440p screen ain't great for 1080p signals. But yeah, Titanfall 2 is rendered at 1440p on PS4 Pro. I don't expect the Scorpio to be 4K. Maybe 1800p.

24" is fine for 4K if it's a monitor. You'll be at the perfect spot to not see individual pixels.

SwolBro

Banned
Consoles are stupid, they only output HD, Full HD and UHD. So even if a game is rendered in 1440p, you will have to output at 1080p (or 4K).

It's not a great idea because of how the divisions work. 1440p screen ain't great for 1080p signals. But yeah, Titanfall 2 is rendered at 1440p on PS4 Pro. I don't expect the Scorpio to be 4K. Maybe 1800p.

24" is fine for 4K if it's a monitor. You'll be at the perfect spot to not see individual pixels.

Ok... sooooo wtf. Should i be getting a 4k or not?

I just saw this and was going to pull the trigger http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-6-ips-led-4k-uhd-monitor-black/5386146.p?skuId=5386146

annnnnd sold out?

If the plan is to upgrade your console then yes I think it would be a little silly to not go with 4k. But you say you only play Titanfall, so you're not the typical case. Who knows if they'll even patch in a healthy resolution bump on Scorpio. But if you were playing on PS4 Pro right now, a 4k monitor would be the way to go.

SwolBro

Banned
If the plan is to upgrade your console then yes I think it would be a little silly to not go with 4k. But you say you only play Titanfall, so you're not the typical case. Who knows if they'll even patch in a healthy resolution bump on Scorpio. But if you were playing on PS4 Pro right now, a 4k monitor would be the way to go.
Any suggestions right now? I'm looking to pull the trigger soon.

SwolBro

Banned
That's your budget?

This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPNKFK0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

edit: fuck I am so fucking close to buying this myself... Reports on colour are like, lawd

but I wanna get a Switch for Bae

HRMMMM

edit: holy shiiiiiiiiiiiit. baring HDR (and of course, 350 nits which I never use anyway), it's fucking perfect

Asus looks better though, and can already be flipped vertically, comes with usb 3.0.

_________

Did any dev from Respawn ever comment on this? Something else i could never understand about this dev studio. They throw things out with no explanation. I remember asking about this when it was released.... can we have some type of template to go by???? I also want to do small adjustments and i don't want to sit there for hours trying to figure it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/60jogv/can_someone_please_help_me_figure_out_advanced/

Izuna

Banned
Asus looks better though, and can already be flipped vertically, comes with usb 3.0.

USB is cool but, what would you use it for?

Why do you need swivel?

Or built-in speakers? (Get some t20s or t30s instead)

is it worth the extra $100?

It's also smaller, and has only one HDMI 2.0 port (which means you can't push 4k60hz on one of the ports...)

SwolBro

Banned
USB is cool but, what would you use it for?

Why do you need swivel?

Or built-in speakers? (Get some t20s or t30s instead)

is it worth the extra $100?

It's also smaller, and has only one HDMI 2.0 port (which means you can't push 4k60hz on one of the ports...)

I need the swivel, and also to do dual monitors.

That LG and the Asus are the two I was considering. I can't really make a recommendation as I passed on both. I'm hoping something more to my liking comes out before Scorpio.

VeeP

Apparently, I missed the last Frontier Update, we'er they talked about what's going on in the studio. Here's the link, and some clips below: LINK

"Titanfall 2 remains healthy and growing with new players coming in every week. Right now we’re focused on the long term future of Titanfall and we’re excited about it. The core Titanfall team is working away on lots of cool stuff, whether that be DLC for Titanfall 2, action blocks and prototypes for future Titanfall projects, or other crazy science experiments. We’re just getting started, and we can’t wait to take you, our Community, along for this ride...

As far as DLC for Titanfall 2; we’ve made some great improvements to the game and added rad content... but we could have done a better job at communicating the breadth of stuff we planned to release. This is something that we will get better at and the studio remains committed to supporting Titanfall 2 with free content...

The next Frontier News Network will be out on March 23, and you’ll want to make sure to keep an eye out for it as we will be revealing the first details regarding our March DLC content. In April, we will provide a broader view at how we will be supporting Titanfall 2 over the next few months...

Titanfall isn’t the only game being worked on here at Respawn. Stig Asmussen, who previously worked on the God of War franchise, has been leading a separate team that has been quietly working away on our Star Wars title. That project is still wrapped in secrecy and we won’t be talking about it for a while.

Lastly, we’ve been working on building new ways of getting more info and communications out to the Community. Next month, we’ll be kicking off a Q&A video series, developer blogs and more. "

The Ummah

Banned
Dope, I was just about to post in here that I fucking love this game. Just regenned to G6, finally. So many hours just on multiplayer alone, I'm still having a great time. The main online portion needs some new maps currently, and I'm glad that they are revealing their plans for content next month.

Please, keep it coming. Personally, the only thing I'm ever down on is the map selection. It's not even a negative, it's just that I need more variety. I'm here for the long haul though.

Soon as the asus is back up available on Best buy i'll grab it.

What exactly would that be?

Same thing Izuna is waiting for apparently. Something with HDR, just to have new tech. If I played more PlayStation I'd probably have gotten the LG by now. I think I actually almost pulled the trigger on a deal a while back but it went out of stock. I feel like my Dell is ideal for my Xbox needs right now, so it's really only Scorpio that will change the equation. There's a limit to how good an Xbox One is going to look, I've never used your current monitor so I don't feel comfortable pushing you one way or the other.

Alx

The next Frontier News Network will be out on March 23, and you'll want to make sure to keep an eye out for it as we will be revealing the first details regarding our March DLC content. In April, we will provide a broader view at how we will be supporting Titanfall 2 over the next few months...

Nice.
Just a personal suggestion for future roadmaps, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to label "March content" stuff that realeases at the end of March (like what happened in February too). When people see "March", they start expecting it on March 1st, and get increasingly frustrated even if in the end it does release in March.
Just call it "April content" and gamers will be delighted to get it a few days before April, with the feeling that it's early (also it gives you some room for a small delay if necessary).

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, at least let's see the Scorpio first before buying the new monitor. Who knows, it might have some surprise.

If it's just PS4 Pro looking, then I'll do with the LG just so I can trash the TN

FreeSync with unlocked frame rate games hitting 90+ fps including backwards compatibility games! On a more serious note I really only expect to add HDR on top of a standard 60Hz 4k screen. But without any firm details on what will be in Scorpio, maybe there will be some sort of surprise that would influence my purchase decision. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, if I want to play something that looks good, I've got my PC which will still be better than Xbox even after Scorpio hits.

Is 2X gone from the daily highlight mode? I've been playing one game a day since launch, really enjoying it, up to G4 now. Getting 10x happy hour daily bonus points was great, sad to see it gone.

The daily mode thing was great though, it made me realize I really only do like attrition mode haha. I absolutely hated the free for all mode. Capture the flag wasn't too bad, although again nothing compares to attrition for me. Just love how when I'm feeling on a losing, i-aint-doing-shit streak, I can just go off and kill NPCs and feel at least slightly productive.

Izuna

Banned
Looks like I am getting a GTX1080 PC from the Surface Book money along with a school laptop. Which means I won't really need a Scorpio.

May as well use Scorpio money on VR or perhaps smartphone

I'll keep the TN panel so I can make use of the 120hz in Titanfall 2.

grendelrt

Is 2X gone from the daily highlight mode? I've been playing one game a day since launch, really enjoying it, up to G4 now. Getting 10x happy hour daily bonus points was great, sad to see it gone.

The daily mode thing was great though, it made me realize I really only do like attrition mode haha. I absolutely hated the free for all mode. Capture the flag wasn't too bad, although again nothing compares to attrition for me. Just love how when I'm feeling on a losing, i-aint-doing-shit streak, I can just go off and kill NPCs and feel at least slightly productive.

yeah i noticed the 2x was gone, seems weird wasnt that the carrot to get people to play the modes

I had an attrition match today where I had 190 points and had one shot left on a titan and someone killed me before I got the shot off, feels bad man. Cant seem to break 200, I get 194, 197, 190, etc.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Had a game of LTS and a guy on the other team got 100k+ but second place on his team :3

Izuna

Banned
You won't believe how many people pay to get the gauntlet achievement done. They always have everything completed too.

Top Bottom