• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

kylej

Banned
while I'm very aware that Reach had a tiered ranking system, releasing something after launch like this kinda screams

cod(2).png

Book.followleader.jpg

willow ve

For a game in which "the vast majority only play the campaign" and "most players never venture into the multiplayer side" they sure seem to have largely ignored throwing this majority a bone.

1. No scoring
2. No commendations
3. No unlocks
4. No matchmaking
5. No theater
6. No leader boards

It's baffling how they continually say that most players get Halo for the campaign and yet this campaign has almost zero incentive to play it more than twice.

the tourney is interesting, but no replacement of ranked lists..

Still no mention of the file browser.. what the fuck

I am pretty excited about the tourney. It will feel more competitive, I hope.

Fileshares aren't coming until next year, I'm 100 percent sure now since it wasnt mentioned this week

IHaveIce

Banned
I am pretty excited about the tourney. It will feel more competitive, I hope.

Fileshares aren't coming until next year, I'm 100 percent sure now since it was mentioned this week
I don't know about the tourney.. I'm kind of scared the prizes are US only again :/

damn they were? just read the summary by deadly cyclone since the waypoint page on my mobile doesn't work.

I don't know about the tourney.. I'm kind of scared the prizes are US only again :/

damn they were? just read the summary by deadly cyclone since the waypoint page on my mobile doesn't work.

Thought it said worldwide, and I meant "wasn't" shitty mobile typing sorry

willow ve

Most/all of HaloGAF will have zero shot at any of the prizes. There will be kids who play 20 hours a day to boost the leaderboard ranking. Then there will be griefers who find a way to beat the system and boost their account even more. It will be fun to watch in the same way some men just want to watch the world burn.

Thank you again for hosting these on your site, Wu. As usual, Waypoint won't fucking work and can't even find the home page no matter how many times I try. I've never had such horrible issues with a website in my life, ever. For it to be regularly inaccessible for the official face of an enormous company is just absurd.

Anyway, on to the Update.

- Tourney. meh.
- KOTH is gone. FUCK. We'll see how long this 'temporary' will last, but it was one of my only havens for quality games in matchmaking.
- No mention whatsoever on how this 'best of SpOps' matchmaking will work, will assume that it's the same poorly designed one mission at a time then boot you to the lobby as it was before.
- I pray that the delay of SpOps is due to feature additions apart from new locales, though I'm ready to be disappointed.
- Good to hear that DLC is heavily weighted in regular playlists.
- yay TU

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sooooo they're going to put leaderboards up for this Infinity Challenge? History tells us that that might not be such a good idea lol

IHaveIce

Banned
Thought it said worldwide, and I meant "wasn't" shitty mobile typing sorry
Ah no problem, have the same problem most of the time lol.

And again on the prizes, yes it says worldwide(thanks Wu for your Update version) but how do they do that if someone from EU wins the car.. they gonna ship it? lol.

Also the trailer at the VGAs only being for the second part of season one :/ meh

A month later and they aren't updating balance issues yet? I really hope when they get around to it they have some pretty significant changes. Maybe they should've taken their vacations after the beta (that's what I'm calling it) if they wanted to hold people's interest with war games longer. I'm already looking forward to Crysis 3.

Yeah, damn these lazy developers for wanting to take time off to spend with their families after crunch time. They should be chained to their cubicles day and night.

Glad they're trying a tourney, interested to see how well it's managed and publicised.

I'd love to know why we don't get patch notes, it kind of makes the weekly patches a bit of a mess.

J10

Banned
Not that anyone cares, but I'm trading it in today. Can't continue to deal with a game that so heavily encourages and rewards players for playing like assholes.

SpOps is free, That means it can't use environments from the 3 new map packs.

So basically.

SpOps S2 is going to be a big patch that adds in new environments (Likely the new MP maps) or its just going to re purpose Vanilla MP maps and SP environments. Neither of which I'm very interested in.

It don't know why i was under the illusion before launch that we would get new locations on a weekly basis because that's a lot of design work but so far the only NEW locations we have had are Cauldron, The snow version of the Campaign Tower and Forerunner/Jungle environment from "sacred".

m23

Well, at least its confirmed they are working on an actual TU. Now the question is when will we see it and what is included. Doubt we'll hear anything about it for at least a month.

Akai__

Hey guys. A friend of mine asked me for a favor, so here it is:

If anyone of you has the Locus helmet code, which you won't use and want to sell, then pls PM me.

Otherwise, he would have to spent too much money on e-bay etc.

Thanks. :)

willow ve

It's worldwide. Turns out this was possible, and Bungie really did just have crappy lawyers!

There's no way the F150 is a worldwide prize. Right? They're not shipping that over oceans.

Why? I'm pretty sure it can if they want it to.

I would bet season 1 of Sparty Ops will be all on disc shipped maps and play areas. Season 2 (if they make a season 2) will require DLC to play.

TheOddOne

Glad they're trying a tourney, interested to see how well it's managed and publicised.

I'd love to know why we don't get patch notes, it kind of makes the weekly patches a bit of a mess.
This part of the bulletin pretty much explains it:
There's only one thing to say after last week's Matchmaking playlist update: We got a new King! Since Team Regicide has performed spectacularly (TWtQS), it's sticking around for another week. So is SWAT, of course. Unfortunately that means one playlist has to say goodbye. Actually, it just has to say "See you later" because it will undoubtedly be back. Leaving temporarily is King of the Hill (wipes away a single tear) and taking its place is Crimson DLC. Before we dip into the specifics of that particular playlist, let's go over the rather short list of other things included in last Monday's update.

Fixed exploit locations on Haven
Fixed exploit locations on Adrift
Introduced Ordnance drop issues on Haven (oops)
Please note that the map fixes only affect playlists and not on-disc custom game map variants, and we will fix the Ordnance drop issues in the next playlist update.

If you find yourself wondering why this change list is shorter than previous ones, it's because we've been hard at work on a Title Update, which is slated to release soon. You'll know it's out when you're prompted to download an update upon logging into Halo 4. We will detail the contents of the TU after it's out (as it contains exploit fixes we don't want abused any more than they already are while they're live). We can tell you right now that this particular TU tackles actual game and gameplay issues, not sandbox tweaks and balances. We have another TU in the works and will continue working on the timing and content of the next one. We will update everyone when we have additional information. One TU at a time, as they say.

Not that anyone cares, but I'm trading it in today. Can't continue to deal with a game that so heavily encourages and rewards players for playing like assholes.

They just said theyre working on balance and fixes. One update already released. What else do you want.

Shadders

I would bet season 1 of Sparty Ops will be all on disc shipped maps and play areas. Season 2 (if they make a season 2) will require DLC to play.

I'm not convinced. Remember the whole "Requires 8GB" thing? Well, we're only at 4GB, right? And Frank did say on here that the 8GB would include Spartan Ops. I think there's more Season One Spartan Ops download content to come.

Well unless they give those environments to everybody for free it cant

End of Jan when people without the Map Pack go to play Episode 6 it says "You need to download content for Spartan Ops" and then it downloads the relevant data to put those spaces into Spartan Ops. I think this is totally feasible and indeed probable.

It can still lock that content away from you to use in multiplayer until you've bought the relevant unlock key, that'd be no different than locking away on-disc content (which Halo4 already does).

Hopefully that's 4gb of new environments.

Well, yeah, that'd be the ideal, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's DLC spaces.

I'm not convinced. Remember the whole "Requires 8GB" thing? Well, we're only at 4GB, right? And Frank did say on here that the 8GB would include Spartan Ops. I think there's more Season One Spartan Ops download content to come.

Hopefully that's 4gb of new environments.

Hey guys. A friend of mine asked me for a favor, so here it is:

If anyone of you has the Locus helmet code, which you won't use and want to sell, then pls PM me.

Otherwise, he would have to spent too much money on e-bay etc.

Thanks. :)
Is your friend in America? There's a 7-11 app that awards you the helmet for playing their KOTH game.

dalVlatko

Team regicide is actually kind of fun

I just played a game on Complex and I had the sniper on top of the main building and managed to spawn kill the king three times in a row lol

I don't know why everyone is bitching about SITRECs. They are accurately replaying (with some extrapolation for smoothing purposes) the absolute fucking bullshit lag that occurs in every match of Halo 4.

Akai__

Is your friend in America? There's a 7-11 app that awards you the helmet for playing their KOTH game.

Nope, he is german. Is this app US exclusive?

---

And I just found out, that the DLC "Nightmare in North Point" for Sleeping Dogs is on the index here in germany, therefore, it doesn't show up on the marketplace and therefore I can't play it. Could download it, with a VPN tunnel, but that's just too much effort for DLC. No fun allowed
achievements neither
. :'(

I hope they will add it later, even if it's a cut version.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

So basically.

SpOps S2 is going to be a big patch that adds in new environments (Likely the new MP maps) or its just going to re purpose Vanilla MP maps and SP environments. Neither of which I'm very interested in.

It don't know why i was under the illusion before launch that we would get new locations on a weekly basis because that's a lot of design work but so far the only NEW locations we have had are Cauldron, The snow version of the Campaign Tower and Forerunner/Jungle environment from "sacred".

Why can't season 2 be all new Ops-only locations? We'll have to download each new episode anyways.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I don't know why everyone is bitching about SITRECs. They are accurately replaying (with some extrapolation for smoothing purposes) the absolute fucking bullshit lag that occurs in every match of Halo 4.

Yup. That's how I see them. They are just showing the truth.

J10

Banned
They just said theyre working on balance and fixes. One update already released. What else do you want.

I don't want anything else. They provided a product and I paid for it. Not happy with it, and I've seen nothing that specifically suggests my issues with the game will be sufficiently addressed on their end, so I'm moving on.

TheOddOne

Next Halo in early stages of development, says 343 exec
Studio will also focus on "a spectrum of Halo support though the next year and beyond"; No decision yet on Spartan Ops season 2

343 Industries is gradually reallocating its teams to work on the next major Halo project, an executive at the studio has told CVG.

Frank O'Connor, the franchise development director for Halo, said that "a lot of people at 343 are already prototyping ideas and software and art for future Halo products". He added: "I can't say more than that, but work on the game started actually before we launched Halo 4 and continues apace as we cycle staff through the team's vacation breaks. We're excited about the next game."

O'Connor didn't explicitly state that the next game is specifically Halo 5, though Microsoft has already confirmed that it is building a second trilogy of Halo titles.

Many within the 343 Industries studio are still working on post launch content for Halo 4, the latest being the curation of a major international Halo 4 tournament.

It has also developed a plot-led series of co-op games called Spartan Ops, which has been widely praised by critics. A second season of the co-op mode, however, remains up in the air.

"Spartan Ops season 2 is yet to be decided, we're looking at how the first season does," said O'Connor.

"We got such great responses from [live-action web series] Forward Unto Dawn and Spartan Ops that we're pretty happy with it and we're learning a lot of really interesting stuff for the future," he added. "You are going to see a spectrum of Halo support though the next year and beyond."

Havok

- King of the Hill removed from matchmaking.

Called it as soon as we saw the leaked playlist screen. Expecting Oddball to go out the door soon, too. Both of those playlists were scraping by at like 2% of the population. Shocking, I know, gametypes that served as filler in grab bag objective playlists can't maintain a dedicated playlist population.

The Spartan Ops break is funny. It's reasonable to need a break when you're cranking out content like that, but they couldn't have said something before the week leading up to the break, really? I guess I should have bought the Official Strategy Guide To Playing Halo: Shoot the Aliens in the Head to get that information.

I don't want anything else. They provided a product and I paid for it. Not happy with it, and I've seen nothing that specifically suggests my issues with the game will be sufficiently addressed on their end, so I'm moving on.
A completely reasonable position. I too feel my interest waning, and I wouldn't hold out hope that a TU is going to re-energize my enthusiasm for the game, or resolve every issue I have with the design/execution, but I still like playing Halo 4 and I am still curious about what they will add/remove/change with Title Updates and DLC.

Dang it, KotH was probably my favorite playlist.
Word. It was my preferred objective mode because it didn't have game-impacting stupid glitches and lag like CTF and Oddball, respectively. The Flagnum drops fire input, and ball throwing is shit with sizeable latencies and host authorization.

Top Bottom