• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Lufia (Estpolis) will be announced soon

kiryogi

Banned
lucablight said:
How do people know that Selena and Selan are the same person? Why did they change the translation?

Knowing my luck this will probably be an awesome remake of Lufia 2 but won't ending up getting localised :(

I imagine it was a character limitation.

mibm

aka funkky
ethelred said:
It's either a prequel or a retelling, and even if it's a prequel, it's still a retelling since Guy and Selan didn't meet until the events of Lufia 2 originally and yet tada, there they are together in the scan.

It can't be a sequel for reasons that should be apparent to anyone that has played the game.
But Lufia 2 is already a prequel to 1, so if this one is also a prequel then how far back can we go? I don't want to play as Maxim's dad trying to give birth to him :(

kiryogi said:
I imagine it was a character limitation.

Ah right. I seem to recall Artea being named Arty in Lufia 2 so they do have a history of inconsistency when it comes to names.

Also on a side note I've always wondered why the wave ring was never mentioned in Lufia 2 despite being a significant relic in the first game. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
lucablight said:
Ah right. I seem to recall Artea being named Arty in Lufia 2 so they do have a history of inconsistency when it comes to names.

Arty was just a nickname. He's referred to as Artea once or twice.

Dragona Akehi said:
A year does pass after marrying Maxim.
Plausible.

Dragona Akehi said:
Yes... the SOUNDTRACK is named "Biography Estpolis" the games are just "Estpolis".
Nah, except for the GBA game, the Japanese main titles are all Estpolis Denki. The "Denki/Biography" just isn't spelled out in Roman letters.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Dragona Akehi said:
Hey at least I was wrong about it not being Neverland! The game has also changed from before, looking at the scans...so for the better!

On a scale from 1-10, how excited are you? I don't want to set myself up for a ginormous let down. :/

Cedille

djtiesto said:
And hopefully Yasunori Shiono will be back for the music, Lufia 2 had some CHOOOOONS!

Apparently, Shiono himself reveals he has no involvement in his SNS page (I no longer have an account, but multiple persons read it).

In case anybody wonders, he left the company ages ago and now works in the no game related industry.

Shouta

Prime Blue said:
Nah, except for the GBA game, the Japanese main titles are all Estpolis Denki. The "Denki/Biography" just isn't spelled out in Roman letters.

Actually, it should be Chronicle of Estopolis. "Biography" isn't the only translation of Denki though it has the same concept. In fact, Biography is probably a pretty bad translation considering its usage in English. Anyway, Estopolis Denki is usually written as a subtitle though most folks call it that to specifically refer to the series.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The move into an action-RPG will be somewhat exciting, and the scans look good if not limited.

Now we wait till the website opens in a week.

x3sphere

If it's an action RPG Seiken Densetsu style that'd have the potential to rock IMO (haven't taken a look at the scans yet).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Goddamint, those 3D graphics would've been okay if it was a straight up RPG. Now, when the games bombs, hard, they'll act all surprised going ''huh, I thought everyone hated turn based RPGs these days''.

Anyone know what Selan says in that screenshot? Why does she have blue instead of green hair?

I'm not sure how this can be considered a remake when it's nothing like the original, but I'm all for great dungeons (well, I hope they will be great) and a reunion with Maxim and crew.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Details:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/18/lufia_ds_remake/

The game's new action-based combat system looks like it will be heavy on the action. You have access to a party of at least three characters who can be switched between on the fly by tapping face panels on the bottom screen. Famitsu suggests mashing the attack button to make your current character perform combos and launch the enemy into the air. While the enemy is in the air, you can swap in a new character and continue the combo.

You'll also have to switch off between characters in order to make use of particular skills and abilities required for clearing dungeons. The dungeons promise lots of tricks and traps, including collapsing floors and puzzles that should be familiar from other action RPGs.
Sounds pretty fun. I hope the swapping is smooth...

For the most part, the game takes place on the top screen, with the character select panels, a map, and other options shown on the bottom screen. Get into a boss battle, though, and the battle expands to fill both screens, with your character controlled on the bottom screen. The magazine does not clarify what happens to that neat little character swap system during these sequences.
Uhhh... what? I hope the controls aren't broken. :\

Shouta

So definitely a remake/reimagining of Lufia 2 eh. I hope the move to Action RPG turns out well 'cause it'll be hard to beat the original.

Verilligo

This looks and sounds like Ys 7 with puzzles. An excellent thing, mind you! A bit of an odd turn for the series, but I reserve judgment until more is revealed. Right now it's just a scant few details and images.

ethelred

Shouta said:
So definitely a remake/reimagining of Lufia 2 eh. I hope the move to Action RPG turns out well 'cause it'll be hard to beat the original.

Oh, there's no chance this will be better than Lufia 2.

Main reason I'm getting this is cause Neverland Action-RPGs are pretty great. Hopefully a fire is lit under SE/Taito's ass to put the first two games on the VC as well.

I think Lufia DS should drop the puzzles entirely. Oh sure Lufia 2 is known for having some of the best around but that's basically it. They're going for something different with this remake but puzzles are apparently still a factor(just with swapping characters instead of swapping tools). I'd rather they focus that energy on creating some new subsystem instead of something that the original just about perfected.

madara

A remake of one of the best snes treasures but with.. what? fancy act rpg combos, voices and DS 3D? On paper this sounds abit lazy and guaranteed zero chance of being better. I see more and more signs today's developers cant compete with alot of their past efforts from the hobbyist market, maybe that is why they went with something already made. I guess those that think voices and cg cut scenes are what make a rpg will lap this up. It's not the first remake on ds :lol but I was kinda hoping a lufia revival was going to be more then a near perfect game being remade but this time with flash. We shall soon see.

Rpgmonkey

I like Lufia II a lot and this is kinda interesting, but I am kinda wishing their revival was an all new Lufia (even if it was still like this) instead of a remake.

Guess the original puzzles will be getting redone or removed then.

So, Lufia II as an action RPG? :/

I'm not really that keen on the "action" part. The original Lufia II is pretty much the gold standard of SNES-era traditional RPGs, so I'm not sure why they are deviating so much.

I'm glad it's the original team doing it though, so I'll still look forward to it. It better have some wicked hard puzzles.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Rpgmonkey said:
I like Lufia II a lot and this is kinda interesting, but I am kinda wishing their revival was an all new Lufia (even if it was still like this) instead of a remake.

Guess the original puzzles will be getting redone or removed then.
As long as the Ancient Cave is still in, I'm all for this.

Rpgmonkey

Some excerpts from the interview that I guess are notable:

-It was a request by SE
-It's in no way a port
-It's different from a remake; the story, characters, and world-view have been reconstructed
-The Wave Device is (a) key, the world is different from the SNES version
-It's still like a Lufia game
-The bottom screen is only used for changing characters
-The D-Pad is more central than the stylus
-It's programmed so bosses take up both screens
-While the bosses are difficult, a guide isn't needed (I think that's what he said...)
-Action game players will be satisfied, but it's fine for those who aren't good at action games as well
-The elements are a growth of the RPG (you'll be hurt if you waste time)
-The scenario is based on II, and there are parts where the lines are the same as II's, but it's basically been completely rewritten
-The number of places like towns that will be in the game is different from I and II
-There are also elements we tried to add for the fans of the series so far
-You can figure out hidden setups within the puzzles
-They're bringing back music from I and II
-The sound quality has been improved without tampering with the melody line
-The main staff from the original version are making it
-They're keeping things like "xxx of Magic" and "Magical xxx" as they are since back then (I think they're talking about treasures/items or something?)

[Nintex]

-They're bringing back music from I and II
-The sound quality has been improved without tampering with the melody line
-The main staff from the original version are making it

OMG, HYPE +1000000

It sounds to me like this is the latest installment of the endless parade of "who thought THAT was a good idea?," starring all of our favorite franchises in ill-fitting and poorly tailored disguises. :-/

Solune

Shouta said:
Of course not but if it'll have to be good to not be a total disgrace to the original.

See, this is what I don't understand.
Why change the formula of a game that is the epitome of classic.
On one hand the game will hopefully turn out to be great on its own, but there will still be comparisons to the original and there will be arguments on how the two are entirely different blah blah etc.
I'd rather they do a remake similar to FFIII/IV DS as opposed to a reimagining like they are now, but I guess it's too early to really make that call.
And on the other hand if they created a new Lufia game not based on an existing one with these specifications, it wouldn't really be a Lufia game then.

wrowa

I think it sounds great. I don't care about it being an ARPG. That's everything that Neverland develops nowadays and what they have experience in. What would be the alternative to this game? No new Lufia at all? A new Lufia that isn't developed by Neverland? Nah, this "re-imagining" of Lufia II is just fine.

So it's like a complete reimagining? If they are changing so much of the story, gameplay, etc. why didn't they just make totally original entry?

And SE requested this? Odd.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Gunloc said:
So it's like a complete reimagining? If they are changing so much of the story, gameplay, etc. why didn't they just make totally original entry?

And SE requested this? Odd.
Reboots are the new flavour of the month!

Amir0x

Banned
I don't understand the point in not just completely making this Lufia III, instead of "reconstructing" Lufia II. I'm not remotely sure I understand the design philosophy about it. Lufia II has a small yet extremely hardcore fanbase, wouldn't it be better to just strike it new on a third title?

Or are they testing water to see if the franchise has any possible selling power?

Amir0x said:
Or are they testing water to see if the franchise has any possible selling power?

It does have that stink of "halfassed and pointless spinoff that publishers think can be used to 'test' the market for interest in the franchise but in reality mostly serves to hurt the reputation of said franchise" to it, doesn't it.

Top Bottom