• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So buying a used WiiU has its advantages

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So you're telling me I should wait a year for a better chance at being a glorious second-hand Ambassador?

JavyOO7

Wait... does the 3DS have the same issue??

I sold my 3DS a while ago with a ton of games downloaded via that eShop shit.

I'll have to get another 3DS.

If you linked your old 3DS to your Club Nintendo account you should be fine. And if you did then give a call to Nintendo. But if I remembered correctly you are supposed to have both of the 3DS's, give a call to Nintendo, and their is a process done where the licenses is transferred over from old to new 3DS. In your case or others cases where they just sold the 3DS and get it again in the future, as long as it was linked to your CN, then give a call to Nintendo. At least I think that's how it works.

rpmurphy

I'm all for secondhand digital games. But also the option to carry over purchases to another machine. They don't go hand-in-hand sadly. :(

zroid

Banned
Is the previous user's account still on the console?

edit: answered

edit2: *reads again* you said he wiped the contents of the system, but does that include all user account info?

Hah! Jokes on them! I never bought anything off eshop due to Nintendo's DRM incompetence. But I guess I'll enjoy the unintended benefit of earning automatic Club coins from the next person who buys digital games on the system I returned. Though, I bought my Wii U from a major retailer, so maybe they return the consoles to Nintendo who, in turn, should wipe all accounts and links from the system as part of their refurbishment process.

hongcha

Does this work for the Wii eshop within the Wii U, or just the Wii U eshop? So ridiculous there are two shops in the first place.

jeremy1456

Hahaha...Poor Nintendo just doesn't get the internet thingamajig.

Nintendo, look at Android playstore, Apple appstore, Amazon, appstore, Xbox live, psn etc.
If you still don't get it , hire a couple of 13 year olds to explain how its done.

As a Nintendo fan , I find them absolutely comical these days. Especially with the WiiU

To be fair, I think the others have some issues as well.

For example, I've had my iTunes account for years. I've had a few PCs die on me so I can't really de-associate my account with them.

Now I just learned that I can't tie my apple account to any more hardware... yeah.

lupinko

Does this also apply to 3ds? Because I transferred from 3ds to 3ds xl and it did an auto full wipe. I haven't sold my 3ds yet, but yeah I'd like to know first.

netBuff

For example, I've had my iTunes account for years. I've had a few PCs die on me so I can't really de-associate my account with them.

Now I just learned that I can't tie my apple account to any more hardware... yeah.

You can dis-associate all devices tied to an iTunes account once a year, the option is available in the iTunes account management.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

gblues

Banned
I bought my Wii from a Canadian GAFfer and I still have the VC games he bought on it (Mario 64 and Kirby 3).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

You can reset all your associations from a single PC ;)

EDIT: Super beaten.

fernoca

Is the previous user's account still on the console?

edit: answered

edit2: *reads again* you said he wiped the contents of the system, but does that include all user account info?
Wondering the same.
Seeing that and how the OP is looking at each game individually instead of going to "Your Downloads" (under Menu, Profile -but OP's new with the Wii U so..it's okay. :p-; it wouldn't surprise me if it was a case of the previous owner just "formatting" the unit, assuming everything would be deleted.

Or maybe the person didn't cared, and manually deleted everything.

So whats the point of a Nintendo Network account again?

Pretty sure the only purpose is to stem the tears about friend codes. It has none of the benefits of a real account system, but hey! At least we get to make our own unique ID!

I'd like to say they'll sort this kind of thing out when Miiverse comes to mobile devices and 3DS, but every time I try and say that I burst out laughing.

HardRojo

So this was Nintendo's plan all along, while there are reports that Sony and MS will try to prevent you from buying used games since they won't work on a new system Nintendo will actually give you free games for buying an used system!

wurstkind

Banned
i dont understand why people are calling nintendo incompetent.

when sony and microsoft try to make it hard for you to get used games its not ok.
nintendo gifts you with games after buying a used console, and it still isn´t ok.

what do you want gamers?

I'm a huge Nintendo fan and will eventually buy a WiiU once Pikmin 3 and a few more of their AAA titles come out, but they have seriously made a good number of mistakes with the WiiU.

If the next systems from MS and Sony (especially MS) nail the basics and offer significantly improved performance, I worry about Nintendo's prospects over the next few years.

nintendo gifts you with games after buying a used console, and it still isn´t ok.

what do you want gamers?

No they don't, what they do is prevent you from retaining your games if you sell the system and decided to pick up another one at some point in the future.

What this nebulous idea of gamers want, in this case, is an account system rather than an "account system".

sakipon

It's pretty obvious the previous owner simply didn't wipe the system clean. You can get free games on used PS3's and Xboxes aswell if the owners leave their info there. I guess on those systems closing up access is easier though.

Yeah, this is why I really can't bring myself to get excited by new Nintendo hardware.. it just feels so rushed and dated the day it comes out, and Nintendo still seems to not get online gaming. That said, it is pretty hilariously awesome that it works like that.

AzaK

whoever owned the console before me purchased multiple games, meaning all the games he purchased are available to redownload for free....This is with a new account btw I setup as well. Games are clearly linked to Console itself. Advice to those buying a second hand WiiU's...check all the games on the Store...you might be in for some "free" games!

WTF? Nintendo you're a bunch of fucking morons.

saunderez

Well technically if someone didn't wipe their XBL purchases off a 360 the next guy could recover his gamertag and use anything still assigned to the console. Once it's deleted off the HDD though there's no way the new owner is getting it back without purchasing it.

alphaNoid

Banned
It's pretty obvious the previous owner simply didn't wipe the system clean. You can get free games on used PS3's and Xboxes aswell if the owners leave their info there. I guess on those systems closing up access is easier though.

Not the same whatsoever, not even close.

wurstkind

Banned
No they don't, what they do is prevent you from retaining your games if you sell the system and decided to pick up another one at some point in the future.

What this nebulous idea of gamers want, in this case, is an account system rather than an "account system".

oooooohhh.... damn!
ty, i missunderstood something.

amazing how this is suddenly a bad thing to a group of cheap ass gamers who love cheaper and free stuff

Amazing how deep some people have Nintendo in their throat.

Like, I like the Wii U, I bought it day one. But the defence you guys are running is insane. It's okay to admit that things are flawed. Not everyone is out to get you or destroy Nintendo.

FGMPR

Banned
Nintendo deserve to fail. I'm glad the Wii U is bombing as hard as it is.

Like most other gamers I think their games are mostly great, and almost always make a Nintendo console worth owning, but they need to stop living in 2005, because every other company vying for living room space has left them for dead.

They need new leadership.

prwxv3

amazing how this is suddenly a bad thing to a group of cheap ass gamers who love cheaper and free stuff

They are talking about accounts being locked to hardware so if their console got stolen or broke they have to ask Nintendo to move their shit. Its unnecessary and dumb especially when other companies have had account based systems that have worked for years.

Top Bottom