• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The impact Radulov has had on this team is ridiculous, he's easily the most important forward on the team right now and the driving heart behind it. I'm buying a jersey as soon as he's resigned.

Reckheim

The impact Radulov has had on this team is ridiculous, he's easily the most important forward on the team right now and the driving heart behind it. I'm buying a jersey as soon as he's resigned.

Yeh, definitely a great pick up for your guys.

Have a feeling a lot more teams are gonna take a risk on Russian players playing the KHL now based on Montreal/leafs and even blackhawks success with it.

Socreges

Banned
We're seeing the rise of a shitbag in a country that was already on it's way to imperalism. The worst of both worlds.
Eh. The US has been imperialist since the late 19th century. Goes in waves. I'd say the US has been less imperialist in recent years, but Trump will see to correct that.

Can't wait to see how he deals with Canada, a country that depends on soft power and other countries using/recognizing soft power. Might is right with Trump. Gonna be fucked.

Holiday

Banned
Armstrong quote:

We have a situation now where I trust these guys and I believe in them. But I have a sense of independent contractors. When you see independent contracting going on on the ice, whether you're a fan or not, it's easy to see. What we have to do is we have to become a team again. We have to take pride in doing things for each other for the betterment of the team. I see when we win how guys react when they don't get what they want. I see when we lose how guys react when they get what they want.

😕

Eh. The US has been imperialist since the late 19th century. Goes in waves. I'd say the US has been less imperialist in recent years, but Trump will see to correct that.

Can't wait to see how he deals with Canada, a country that depends on soft power and other countries using/recognizing soft power. Might is right with Trump. Gonna be fucked.

I'd definitely disagree with that. The legislation that gets passed when no one is watching is what you should look into more.

Well, what does imperialist mean to you?
Mostly the traditional definition. The drone strike program is what I'm referring to. The policies that dictate said program are intentionally vague, and the terminology used to determine potential targets intentionally broad. It's something that the media rarely covers, and something that has devastated entire countries for the last decade+.
http://drones.pitchinteractive.com/

Razorskin

----- ------
Yeh, definitely a great pick up for your guys.

Have a feeling a lot more teams are gonna take a risk on Russian players playing the KHL now based on Montreal/leafs and even blackhawks success with it.

Anyone want to take a shot at Kontiola again?

Socreges

Banned
Mostly the traditional definition. The drone strike program is what I'm referring to. The policies that dictate said program are intentionally vague, and the terminology used to determine potential targets intentionally broad. It's something that the media rarely covers, and something that has devastated entire countries for the last decade+.
http://drones.pitchinteractive.com/
Drone strikes are a horrible, indiscriminate method to kill "terrorists" without having to truly engage with states. I agree it should qualify as imperialism, just not in the traditional sense (drones cut through so many definitions).

But to say that a country was "already on its way to imperialism"...a country with all the wars, coups, etc during the Cold War. The Reagan Doctrine in particular (itself not often well publicised). The War in Afghanistan, the War in Iraq during the Bush years. A country that often decides which regime it would prefer, and makes enormous moves to ensure they're put into place. That's my only point. If you look at drone strikes as being MORE imperialist than historical activities, then we won't agree.

Drone strikes are a horrible, indiscriminate method to kill "terrorists" without having to truly engage with states. I agree it should qualify as imperialism, just not in the traditional sense (drones cut through so many definitions).

But to say that a country was "already on its way to imperialism"...a country with all the wars, coups, etc during the Cold War. The Reagan Doctrine in particular (itself not often well publicised). The War in Afghanistan, the War in Iraq during the Bush years. A country that often decides which regime it would prefer, and makes enormous moves to ensure they're put into place. That's my only point. If you look at drone strikes as being MORE imperialist than historical activities, then we won't agree.

I see where you're coming from regarding what I said in a historical context, but personally I think that most of the activities that go on that qualify as imperalist have largely been conducted in the shadows since at least the Obama admin came into the picture, but a few years before that even. I didn't necessarily mean more imperalist than in the past in a far-reaching historical sense, just that there has been an upward trend from the point on the timeline that drones entered the picture. Drone strikes are not the only thing that makes me feel that way, but they're verifiable. The remainder of my feelings are based on things with less concrete evidence to point to, and more an upward trend in consolidating power within the federal government that could possibly lead to worse than drone strikes, if it hasn't already.

16427234_1340893042656682_3426531604743339010_n.jpg

That's about right.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Is this year's draft any good? The last I've heard, it is a pretty weak draft. Why is the Avs tanking for it?

Weevilone

Blues season ticket holder, need to vent and ramble.

We have without a doubt, players not on the same page as each other or the (ex) coach.

But at the same time, the most pressing issue is between Jake Allen's ears. There is no doubt about that.

I think most people felt it would have been beneficial to let Hitch go after last season, but how do you do that after making the conference finals? I blame nobody but Backes for his departure. You can't give a high mileage guy like him both term and $$ when he's not going to hold up over the long term. I think the team stretched what they were capable of, based on the offer given. Dude decided he wanted it all, pulled up roots. It's an Albert Pujols situation in my mind.

I'd have figured out a way to keep Elliott, but that's simply because I wasn't an Allen guy. I figure Brodeur had to weigh in there and if Allen looked like the real deal.. ok.

But here we are, playing like shit. The Lehtera experiment is over as far as I'm concerned, so that extension doesn't look so good. Neither does Allen's for obvious reasons. Stastny is a good center, but he's overpaid and not top line material IMO. Tarasenko needs quality linemates if we're to make the most of that investment. Shattenkirk needs to be cashed in for some quality return, but that's going to put a lot of power play responsibility on Steen.. who is either still having shoulder issues.. or he's starting the decline.

Then there's the whole issue of bringing in Hitch's replacement early and running off the assistant coaches.. Ugh.

Quick

Banned
Leafs with three rookies getting Rookie of the Month honours this season so far. Bless.

Nylander in October, Matthews in December, Marner in January. AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is this year's draft any good? The last I've heard, it is a pretty weak draft. Why is the Avs tanking for it?
That's the funniest / saddest part, they aren't tanking and still produce a worse record than any team in a decade.

The Blues situation is difficult to assess from afar. The roster Armstrong built still looks really good. Is it just a matter of getting reliable goaltending?

Socreges

Banned
I see where you're coming from regarding what I said in a historical context, but personally I think that most of the activities that go on that qualify as imperalist have largely been conducted in the shadows since at least the Obama admin came into the picture, but a few years before that even. I didn't necessarily mean more imperalist than in the past in a far-reaching historical sense, just that there has been an upward trend from the point on the timeline that drones entered the picture. Drone strikes are not the only thing that makes me feel that way, but they're verifiable. The remainder of my feelings are based on things with less concrete evidence to point to, and more an upward trend in consolidating power within the federal government that could possibly lead to worse than drone strikes, if it hasn't already.
Definitely agreed drones are fucked and seem to be getting more prevalent. Technically Obama started to reign their use in a bit, but not much. Terrifying to think how Trump will use them, but he also needs a cooperative CIA to some extent.

The Blues situation is difficult to assess from afar. The roster Armstrong built still looks really good. Is it just a matter of getting reliable goaltending?
Weevilone's diatribe is probably worth reading

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340056

"It should have been one of the most congenial calls for the new commander in chief — a conversation with the leader of Australia, one of America’s staunchest allies, at the end of a triumphant week.

Instead, President Trump blasted Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over a refu­gee agreement and boasted about the magnitude of his electoral college win, according to senior U.S. officials briefed on the Saturday exchange. Then, 25 minutes into what was expected to be an hour-long call, Trump abruptly ended it."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

where's Dastardly

Weevilone

Weevilone's diatribe is probably worth reading

The whole thing is difficult to come to grips with. It's a good example of the thin line between elite and not making the playoffs in this league. Boston is another good example, I think.

Hockey people smarter than me are probably wondering if the team's good fortune left with John Davidson, to Columbus. It really seems like a lot of the recent good decisions we made were with him in the organization.

Anyways, I feel bad to have written a diatribe. I love them regardless. :-(

Weevilone

Yakupov got 6 points in 29 games lol

Creeper will you finally admit he's trash

I should probably git good with quoting, but I'm just catching up on the thread.. new month and all.

Yakupov from a Blues perspective has been interesting. i think there has to be a place for him in the league but he certainly wasn't top pick material. If nothing else he's been a good placeholder for Jaskin to sit. That kid needs to learn to make the most of his size.

There was also some Thrashers stuff... I was in southwest Missouri over the holidays and found a vendor there that specialized in Atlanta Thrashers gear. WTF? When I was growing up there wasn't any hockey there at all, let alone defunct team merchandise.

imBask

Banned
Regardless of where Douchenes ends up, I think we're going to be surprised by how low the price is going to be. I don't mean that to shit on our Avs fans around here because I love them, but I think we're vastly overrating what GMs are going to be willing to pay for him

Every media outlet has been hammering stuff about his "attitude problem" for the past 2 weeks, that's never a good sign

PillarEN

Where is Iginla gonna go? I'm assuming he will be practically a giveaway from the Avs anyway. A third line winger who can punch a few guys out. Any takers?

Top Bottom