• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2007 Nintendo Power Scores

Wii

Wii Play - 7.0

DS

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - 8.0
Lunar Knights - 8.0
Diddy Kong Racing DS - 7.5
Izuna: Legend Of The Unemployed Ninja - 6.5
Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - 6.5
Inuyasha: Secret Of The Divine Jewel - 6.0
Trioncube - 5.5
Marvel Trading Card Game - 4.0

GBA

Final Fantasy VI Advance - 9.5

DKR Pros: Better graphics, online, map
DKR Cons: No silver coins, no Banjo/Conker, No restarting races, bad stylus controls(camera control), no speed up bananas

They didn't even mention the track editor.

Lunar Knights Pros: Amazing production values, characters different styles prevent game from being repetitive
Lunar Knights Cons: Needed more puzzle solving and exploration

Diddy Kong bomba?
Also, all you FF-fanboys, tell me: I hate GBA-graphic, but: What other RPGs should you like to be able to enjoy FF6? It´s so popular and somehow i want to play it, but it looks so GBA-ish (of course). Please give some comparable examples of similar RPG-experiences.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SuperSonic1305 said:
Wii

Wii Play - 7.0 (Getting)

DS

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - 8.0 (Got)
Lunar Knights - 8.0 (Getting)
Diddy Kong Racing DS - 7.5 (Getting)
Izuna: Legend Of The Unemployed Ninja - 6.5 (Getting?)

GBA

Final Fantasy VI Advance - 9.5 (Getting)

Beep!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MasterMFauli said:
Diddy Kong bomba?
Also, all you FF-fanboys, tell me: I hate GBA-graphic, but: What other RPGs should you like to be able to enjoy FF6? It´s so popular and somehow i want to play it, but it looks so GBA-ish (of course). Please give some comparable examples of similar RPG-experiences.

To be honest, FF6 plays like a 16-bit era RPG. You really should play all of the major 16-bit era RPGs: FF5, FF4, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Seiken Densetsu 3, Actraiser, Lufia 2, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Mother 3 (if you can read Japanese), Phantasy Star IV, etc.

You're doing yourself a major disservice if you won't play anything from the era.

FF6 might not have the most beautiful graphics, but it has EXCELLENT art design and direction. You won't/shouldn't notice the dated graphics.

Brobzoid said:
summary of pros and cons of the unemployed ninja plz!

pros: decent localization, good gamplay for genre
cons: mysterious dungeon gameplay turns many off.

I am continously surprised at the -relatively- objective ratings of games that Nintendo Power gives - especially since they both don't hype their own games (like they used to back in the day), and they are not afraid to give a harsh opinion about third party games.

On the other hand, they don't have to give Wii Play a high score (although 7 is already pretty high) - people will buy it anyhow in the post-launch game scarcity (and for the wiimote), and the game is targetted at people other than the typical Nintendo IP fan (ie the Nintendo Power readership).

Eteric Rice

Why did FFVI advance have to come out around the time of Hotel Dusk and Diddy Kong?

WHY!?

I guess I'll have to skip DKR and Hotel Dusk. :(

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Polari said:
7.0 is way too high for Wii Play. It's complete shit.

This man speaks the truth. Seriously, even if you're viewing it as a $10 game with a remote, it's barely worth that.

This game should be getting 4s and 5s.

Brak

shuri said:
7.0 by NINTENDO POWER out of all outlets does not bode well.
NP isn't that sycophantic anymore. I wouldn't automatically reduce the scores of Nintendo published games.

Polari

shuri said:

IGN, Gamespot etc. are going to slam it. It's a collection of lame tech demos. If IGN etc. thought Wii Sports was bad in this regard, they're going to hate Wii Play, and rightfully so. There's no depth to any of the games, they're fun for about five minutes (and in many cases, less) and the controls are generally pretty broken. It's easily the worst thing Nintendo has put out since Mario Pinball on the GBA.

Archer

449_cheers.jpg

NP is not that lenient in their reviews :| Not anymore, at least.

Anyway, if they gave Izuna a 6.5 for the genre, then it's probably a 9.0 for anyone who liked PMD for its gameplay.

Peru

If DKR was a shabby port with bugs and glitches I'd still buy it. It might be nostalgia-fueled but hotdamn - that game is just pure coziness playing. Unless Rare have cut out the original music and removed the free-roam level select area, I'm in on this deal no matter what.

thefro

MasterMFauli said:
Diddy Kong bomba?

It should be required playing for Uematsu's score alone (his masterpiece). Unfortunately the GBA version's sound isn't as good as the SNES.

shuri said:

do people even think when they say things like this?
it is a well-established fact that NP historically has treated Nintendo games tougher than so-called "objective" magazines like EGM and Next-Gen (the latter of which was filled to the brim with fanboys)

Jiggy

SuperSonic1305 said:
Diddy Kong Racing DS - 7.5
Final Fantasy VI Advance - 9.5
That's pretty disheartening and bolstering, respectively. I expected FFVIA to be a GOTY contender by virtue of mostly imitating the original except with worse music but possibly a better script, but then Diddy Kong Racing has an original to draw upon as well--and it's not a 7.5-level original, as far as I'm concerned. I wonder if the D-pad controls are just too hard to work with or what... It actually wouldn't surprise me, since the hovercraft especially could be a bit touchy even with the analog stick, but I guess we'll find out when more impressions roll in.

What did they say about DKR? This title looks and sounds incredible (online + track editor). I'd like to know why it got a less than stellar review.

ethelred

I'm thirding the "Lunar Knights review highlights please" -- I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

Also, did the issue have any interesting news?

SuperSonic1305 said:
DKR Cons: No silver coins, no Banjo/Conker, No restarting races, bad stylus controls

Weird cons. No silver coins? GOOD. I didn't like collecting them. Bad stylus controls? Can't I used a D-pad?

As long as its the same DKR gameplay with online ill be happy.

TreIII

SuperSonic1305 said:
DKR Cons: No silver coins, no Banjo/Conker, No restarting races, bad stylus controls

Now those that I highlighted are the ones I perhaps have most interest in...why would Rare start acting all funny acting about Banjo and Conkey now? They already had GB games and such, and it's not like them appearing in a DS game would really be that much of a "conflict of interest".

And the other one is just...why? Why take out a feature that most perfectionists would've liked to have in the first place? It just does not make any sense! [/Cochran]

Rlan

TreIII said:
Now those that I highlighted are the ones I perhaps have most interest in...why would Rare start acting all funny acting about Banjo and Conkey now? They already had GB games and such, and it's not like them appearing in a DS game would really be that much of a "conflict of interest".

And the other one is just...why? Why take out a feature that most perfectionists would've liked to have in the first place? It just does not make any sense! [/Cochran]

It is conflict of interest. Nintendo doesn't want to see characters that they don't own in a game they publish, otherwise they'd have to give Microsoft Royalties for using Rare's characters.

They're replaced by Dixie and Tiny now. Tiny, who now looks like this:

Tiny_Kong.jpg

Which is such a Rare thing to do anyhow :lol

I'd imagine the aeroplane controls wouldn't be too flash with a D-Pad. Do they mention how the online works? Is it just a carbon copy of the MKDS one? You'd think Rare would be the ones to push the online a bit more.

Top Bottom