• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I've been researching more and more about America's influence and attitude toward Latin America, both past and present, and holy shit.

I'm starting to understand how empty_vessel and fortified_concept could hold some of their opinions and overall distrust with American organizations and institutions.

Not quite sure I follow.

The newsletters have come up each time he has run for an office according to the story.
This is the first time I've seen a comment from anyone who worked on them or in Paul's office. Paul's campaign was quick to get investigators working on whomever produced that first 3rd-party ad that reflected badly on him, but apparently asking his own staffers to corroborate his version is too much. Also, the press is lazy.

Man I've been researching more and more about America's influence and attitude toward Latin America, both past and present, and holy shit.

I'm starting to understand how empty_vessel and fortified_concept could hold some of their opinions and overall distrust with American organizations and institutions.

You know what the worst part is?

US high schools dont touch the subject.

That leaves americans wondering "why do people hate us? We're so exceptional and good and freedom spreading!" instead of "why the fuck did we spend so much money over-turning democratically elected presidents and imposing dictators who killed and tortured thousands to remain in power?"

Actually no, the worst part is that american imperialism in latin america is not just in ancient history, for example the coup attempt on Chavez.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit, that non-Marc Foley republican on the panel was a fucking douchebag. I mean, he acted like a petulant little child consistently interrupting everyone going "la la la I can't hear you la la la". He eventually shut up about his stupid complaint that Obama gutted the military, but only after like 10 minutes of Maher and everyone else on the panel marauded him with the evidence and then he was like "well yeah okay I guess, but if you ignore all the spending he INCREASED, then it turns out I'm right but we'll agree to disagree!".

I thought he was far more of a shithead than the Kennedy chick.

You know what the worst part is?

US high schools dont touch the subject.

That leaves americans wondering "why do people hate us? We're so exceptional and good and freedom spreading!" instead of "why the fuck did we spend so much money over-turning democratically elected presidents and imposing dictators who killed and tortured thousands to remain in power?"

It really never is. Its ridiculous. I think the 200,000 from Guatamala figure could be significantly higher.

Actually no, the worst part is that american imperialism in latin america is not just in ancient history, for example the coup attempt on Chavez.

Ehh. You can say that about anything, especially racism.

What I find odd is how paranoid some of the Western media seems against the pink tide. They act like all of the leaders are Chavinites.

What I find odd is how paranoid some of the Western media seems against the pink tide. They act like all of the leaders are Chavinites.

They have no understanding of the nuances in policy.

"Theyre brown, they all speak spanish...they must all want the same things!"

And even then, what has Chavez actually done to hurt US interests? Most of what he nationalized was actually owned by europeans, because americans dont invest in south america.

Kad5

I think the Presidential system has proven ineffective. Do you guys think the American government would be better under a semi-presidential system?

WowBaby

Herman Cain has endorsed Newt Gingrich.

Aw yeah, baby.

Cain's the fourth resident of the State of Moon. I'm putting in for a job transfer as soon as Newt wins the presidency. I'm sure I'll get a huge relocation compensation package, and cost of living increase, not to mention travel pay.

Not to be a thorn in this thread's side but nobody wants to be on the next podcast at all besides that one duder?

I guess I could wait until I'm likely doing it for my school but I don't want to jump in being rusty.

Come on guys there's so much potential here (Romney vs Gingrich, crazy Gingrich, "I feel so bad I'll eat a taco", etc.

Jackson50

Herman Cain has endorsed Newt Gingrich.

Aw yeah, baby.
Birds of a feather flock together.

I think the Presidential system has proven ineffective. Do you guys think the American government would be better under a semi-presidential system?
First, you must operationalize "effective" before you can properly evaluate presidentialism. Nevertheless, unless you adopt a unique measurement of effectiveness, I'd say "ineffective" is inaccurate. Certainly, presidentialism is flawed. But despite its flaws, it has performed respectably. And no system of governance is sterling. Do I think semi-presidentialism is superior? Not really. Aside from the instances where the presidency is merely ceremonial and the system is effectively indistinguishable from parliamentarism, semi-presidentialism is a bit of an oddity; that is, an institutional hodgepodge. The principal problem of presidentialism stems from the separation of powers. This introduces myriad veto points in addition to the prospect of divided government. Obviously, this can engender gridlock. Semi-presidentialism does not wholly address that vulnerability. Rather, the dual executive can also bifurcate producing a tense, potentially destabilizing situation of "cohabitation." I don't think the government would be appreciably better. Honestly, our current system would function substantially better with a few institutional reforms; the primary problem being the Senate.

Oblivion

Not to be a thorn in this thread's side but nobody wants to be on the next podcast at all besides that one duder?

I guess I could wait until I'm likely doing it for my school but I don't want to jump in being rusty.

Come on guys there's so much potential here (Romney vs Gingrich, crazy Gingrich, "I feel so bad I'll eat a taco", etc.

When did you plan on having the next session?

Oblivion

Sounds good.

Shame this thread is pretty dead nowadays, so not too many people will see the request. :(

Sounds good.

Shame this thread is pretty dead nowadays, so not too many people will see the request. :(

I think it was a bad idea overall to place Poligaf in the dungeon. Poligaf should be stickied like the sports threads on the main page instead of being place here to slowly bleed out.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I agree, I really don't like the change. This subforum works for games, but I don't see the rationale for political discussion.

Nevermind the other mega-threads in OT that continue to exist.

Cheebo

Banned
btw if mitt romney does win nomination, i wonder how gop will spin South Carolina being the king maker in republican primaries or would they ignore romneys loss and call it a fluke? lol

come on now

SC isn't the only kingmaker. The winner of the GOP primary for the last 30 years always won either Iowa or NH as well.

Maybe the threads need more moderation? In the Jan 26 debate thread there's people talking about Canada becoming an oil super power and other stuff not really related to that debate now three days in the past.

Chumly

LINK
AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Governor Rick Perry has gotten a rocky welcome home to Texas, facing low poll numbers and criticism over state expenses related to his failed campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.
Travel for Perry's security team cost the state nearly $800,000 between September and November, according to a new report from the state Department of Public Safety.

The Perry downward spiral has been hilarious. I wouldn't be surprised if hes either done with politics or loses as governor in 2014.

Also the money spent on security wouldn't be nearly as big a deal but he went around talking about how we need to cut out wasteful spending and how he was going to cut all these programs for everyone else yet wasted a huge amount of Texas taxpayer money for himself.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I agree, I really don't like the change. This subforum works for games, but I don't see the rationale for political discussion.

Easy fix: post in here and encourage everyone else to do it, too. The only reason it is floundering right now is because everyone is still posting general politics in the other thread. That thread should have been about the debate only. Including the primary as well broadens its focus too much, which is what we are trying to avoid.

The UK Poligaf thread, even. I'm not even particularly convinced that the state of the union required its own thread. ToxicAdam even pointed out that the SOTU hasn't had its own thread fot several years.

But like AB said, it works if we make it work.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The UK Poligaf thread, even. I'm not even particularly convinced that the state of the union required its own thread. ToxicAdam even pointed out that the SOTU hasn't had its own thread fot several years.

But like AB said, it works if we make it work.

I agree, but it is what it is, lets make the most of it. I am sure that, as needed, Evilore will help the other Megathreads along to the Community forum to really clean up the OT forum.

Jackson50

Waste and mismanagement in Iraq? Unprecedented. According to a new report by the SIGIR, poor record keeping and mismanagement resulted in an inadequate inventory of reconstruction projects. This bespeaks the gross incompetence that plagued our effort in Iraq.
“After eight years, we still don’t have a full account of what it was we provided the Iraqis,” Stuart W. Bowen Jr., the U.S. special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, said in an interview Saturday. “They need to know what they have now, and where the gaps are.”

The incomplete list reflects poor record-keeping among various U.S. agencies that funded projects prior to the embassy trying to tally them up. “There was no unity of command, no unity of effort,” Bowen said.

The inventory listed 5,289 projects valued at about $15 billion as of June 30, 2011, according to auditors. Bowen said there were actually tens of thousands of projects valued at approximately $40 billion. Roads, schools and police stations were among the many projects built with American funds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...raq-projects/2012/01/28/gIQAzYg3YQ_story.html
Easy fix: post in here and encourage everyone else to do it, too. The only reason it is floundering right now is because everyone is still posting general politics in the other thread. That thread should have been about the debate only. Including the primary as well broadens its focus too much, which is what we are trying to avoid.
Right. Making the thread about two topics was a mistake. The specific threads should focus on a single event. Once we move past the FL primary, business should increase.

KtSlime

I think it was a bad idea overall to place Poligaf in the dungeon. Poligaf should be stickied like the sports threads on the main page instead of being place here to slowly bleed out.

I think what might be best with this new approach is if sports were brought to the dungeon as well. Then we could potentially increase participation. This slow transition to move communities to community that has been going on for the past half year is innefective because we are still keeping some of the larger communities in Off Topic. I think that the implementation of this transition is causing it to not behave as intended. Instead of it making the Community tab more popular, it is choking the communities sent to it.

Let's get sports and TV series to join us.

I think as long as every topical political thread posted in OT links to this one, having PoliGAF in community won't be that bad. Also, whomever makes the threads in OT about events should specify that those thread are for that topic only.

EDIT: It would also help if the topical threads in OT could be locked/unlocked easily so that people don't post in them when they don't need to.

Remind me again why there can't be a stickied thread on the OT like the sports threads.

I think as long as every topical political thread posted in OT links to this one, having PoliGAF in community won't be that bad. Also, whomever makes the threads in OT about events should specify that those thread are for that topic only.

EDIT: It would also help if the topical threads in OT could be locked/unlocked easily so that people don't post in them when they don't need to.

This is a whole lot of work for no reason. There is no reason for this thread to be here

Oblivion

Romney and rest of the candidates, however, continue to trail President Obama in Florida among all voters. Romney does best, but loses 49-41 percent, a point worse than a month ago.

As in the latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal poll, Gingrich fares the worst of the entire GOP field against Obama, worse even than Santorum or Paul. Obama beats Gingrich, 52-35 percent, a five-point wider advantage for Obama from December.

Obama, whose approval rating in Florida is 46 percent, has a lead over Romney, in large part, because of independents. Independents sided overwhelmingly with the president—50-36 percent over Romney, and by 20 points or more over Gingrich, Santorum and Paul.

Dance, puppets! Dance!

Redux

Banned
Great political talk in here boys, even it's on where we discuss our political talk.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom