• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerub

Banned
Hi Gaf!

My coworker wants me to fill in a form, but the form is a PDF-file and he has no source file. There's no way to print it out. Is there any way to write things in a PDF-file? I've googled for a bit but didn't find a good solution.

Thanks in advance.

Solved it, I used to libreoffice to open it and edit it. It worked so-so but I managed to edit it at least.

Cyan

Banned
Hi Gaf!

My coworker wants me to fill in a form, but the form is a PDF-file and he has no source file. There's no way to print it out. Is there any way to write things in a PDF-file? I've googled for a bit but didn't find a good solution.

Thanks in advance.

Typewriter tool.

Edit: for future reference, I guess. :p

Speevy

Banned
Someone just sent me this message over Windows Live.

I put it through Babelfish, but all I got was some gibberish that wasn't very nice.

Can someone translate it for me?

n'est pas peur fils de pute suis du genre a raccorcher avant pd

t-ramp

Someone just sent me this message over Windows Live.

I put it through Babelfish, but all I got was some gibberish that wasn't very nice.

Can someone translate it for me?

n'est pas peur fils de pute suis du genre a raccorcher avant pd
Google says "is not afraid son of a bitch'm kind of a hang up before pd."

Not very helpful. Why do you have someone sending you a message in French? Is there context here?

Speevy

Banned
I beat him in a tennis match. I was hoping a native speaker could give me the basics of what he said.

I took it as something like a taunt, like "You son of a bitch I'll beat you."

Takao

Banned
Where can I buy a domain name on the cheap? Go Daddy is sporting a $9.99 fee for the .com name I want, but I'm wondering if I can get a cheaper price somewhere else.

Cyan

Banned
Where can I buy a domain name on the cheap? Go Daddy is sporting a $9.99 fee for the .com name I want, but I'm wondering if I can get a cheaper price somewhere else.

Don't think you'll get a whole lot cheaper than ten bucks for a domain. 1and1.com looks slightly cheaper at the moment.

Takao

Banned
Don't think you'll get a whole lot cheaper than ten bucks for a domain. 1and1.com looks slightly cheaper at the moment.

Thanks! Hmm, I did some searching and apparently there are some additional fees I wasn't expecting. I wanted a blog I run as ____.wordpress.com to simply become ____.com but still use Wordpress as a host. Apparently Wordpress doesn't allow you to do that for free, but rather pay a $13 fee. Wordpress sells domains themselves for $18. Welp.

Mendrox

Well I need some help guys. I do my apprenticeship in an IT department and today I want to filter some lists out of the Active Directory.

How am I supposed to do that? VBScript? Any tools?

Explanation:

I want to filter out what users are in which group.

Example:

Domain = Vidyagames.com

OU = Neogaf
OU = NetJeff

User = Yoshi-chan
User = Evilore

Group = MassEffect3

Yoshi-chan is in the OU NetJeff and in the group MassEffect3
Evilore is in the OU Neogaf and in the group MassEffect3

Now I only want to know which users of NetJeff are also in the group MassEffect3.

Can somebody help me? I could look every group up and transfer that into an Excel list, but I want to learn something which could help me in the future.

Thanks!

Can a Spanish speaker translate this for me? It would be great if you're a South American/Bolivian speaker:

Solo queria escribirte unas palabras para decirte que deseo que la pases muy bien en tu paseo la semana que viene y que te voy a extrañar mucho.

Cyan

Banned
Thanks! Hmm, I did some searching and apparently there are some additional fees I wasn't expecting. I wanted a blog I run as ____.wordpress.com to simply become ____.com but still use Wordpress as a host. Apparently Wordpress doesn't allow you to do that for free, but rather pay a $13 fee. Wordpress sells domains themselves for $18. Welp.

Man, that's no good. I did it the other way around, where I got my domain and then put Wordpress on there, so it's free. Of course, I still have to pay for my own hosting.

t-ramp

Can a Spanish speaker translate this for me? It would be great if you're a South American/Bolivian speaker:

Solo queria escribirte unas palabras para decirte que deseo que la pases muy bien en tu paseo la semana que viene y que te voy a extrañar mucho.
All I can offer is what Google Translate returns, and based on what I remember from Spanish classes, it seems accurate enough:

"I just wanted to write a few words to tell you I want you to have a great on your ride next week and I will miss you very much."

Obviously there's something missing after "great" - perhaps "time" is implied. Also, "ride" should probably be "trip" or something along those lines.

All I can offer is what Google Translate returns, and based on what I remember from Spanish classes, it seems accurate enough:

"I just wanted to write a few words to tell you I want you to have a great on your ride next week and I will miss you very much."

Obviously there's something missing after "great" - perhaps "time" is implied. Also, "ride" should probably be "trip" or something along those lines.

Yeah that's what Google translate showed me, but I got this off a Peruvian Spanish speaker!

t-ramp

Man, that's no good. I did it the other way around, where I got my domain and then put Wordpress on there, so it's free. Of course, I still have to pay for my own hosting.
Yeah, $18 or an additional $13 isn't a good price at all. I have a couple domains, one of which is linked to a Posterous account that I plan on using at some point. Namecheap won Lifehacker's recent contest of the registrars, so I'm giving them a chance for that site. Besides the initial registration for the domain I just changed the records on Namecheap's site and entered my custom domain on Posterous. You can do the same thing with other blogging services too. I'm not sure why Wordpress charges extra.

Yeah that's what Google translate showed me, but I got this off a Peruvian Spanish speaker!
Unless you think there's something missing, I think Google's results gets the point across well and doesn't leave anything substantial out.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
GAF I have a very important question that I may have to make a thread about. I'm trying to print out pages from a blueprint that is a 610,000 square ft. building. My question is it's in one giant .pdf file about 33 pages and I can figure out how to separate a page and save it on it's own.

This is very important because our job bid is due Friday and this is a potential $300,000 job bid.

t-ramp

GAF I have a very important question that I may have to make a thread about. I'm trying to print out pages from a blueprint that is a 610,000 square ft. building. My question is it's in one giant .pdf file about 33 pages and I can figure out how to separate a page and save it on it's own.

This is very important because our job bid is due Friday and this is a potential $300,000 job bid.
There are some answers via Yahoo:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090427145014AAXkCe5

Maybe you can try a trial of Acrobat Pro...

Cyan

Banned
What was the name of the main character in that ridiculous golf movie copypasta that went around a couple of years ago?

I don't know what you mean by "copypasta" but possibilities ..

Bagger Vance, Happy Gilmore, Danny Noonan, and my personal favorite Roy McAvoy.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Has anyone ever bought a used CPU? I feel like I'd like to try and find an E8400 if I can get one cheap, since my rig is still running an old E5200. I know it won't boost things drastically, but it might at least help get some games like BF3 to playable levels. I just don't want to completely rebuild my PC again. Not sure if used CPUs can be reliable.

Minamu

How do I set up a live stream with a PS Eye? I want to be able to view my apartment from a browser in school if possible.

Takao

Banned

It's a pretty janky situation. I've used the ___.wordpress.com blog for years now because it was simply an enthusiast thing with no goal of looking professional, or ever making money so the free hosting, and domain was appreciated. Now I'm given some fairly expensive options to try to make it look a bit more professional.

Last year I tried moving the posts and stuff from Wordpress.com to a .org install but the skin I used wasn't available so a lot of manual retooling of posts would be required. *sigh*

Entropia

No One Remembers
So the company I work for wants to have some posters up on display and they want people to order a poster (company is ordering them).

Does anyone have a link to a reputable poster vendor that has something unique and is video game (Final Fantasy preferably) related?

TUSR

Banned
So the company I work for wants to have some posters up on display and they want people to order a poster (company is ordering them).

Does anyone have a link to a reputable poster vendor that has something unique and is video game (Final Fantasy preferably) related?
wasn't there a guy on gaming side selling posters for like 500000000$?

Robso

Not sure how it popped into my head but, I was just curious as to what the first game was that used an online pass?

chunk3rvd

I've been wanting to take all my old wrestling shoot interview dvd's and just rip the audio as mp3's so I can listen to them on my phone. I just want to rip the audio (about 2.5 hours each) at a fairly low bitrate as quality isn't an issue. Is there a simple program that will do this for me in a few clicks?

Pachimari

How do I erase an iPhoto library on my Mac?
Apparently it takes up about 25GB and I'm not using it as I have all of my photos and videos on a NAS.

Also another question. My old Samsung NC10 netbook have been broken for 2 years now but I would like to try fix it myself by replacing the motherboard. The workshop asked for $610 but I believe it can be done much cheaper if I do it myself.

But where can I find such a motherboard?

AkuMifune

Banned
How do the conveyors in crematoriums work?

I decided last night that if I were to ever kill myself I'd want to shoot myself in the head while riding the conveyor into the cremation oven so that my family wouldn't have to deal with the body afterwards, is this feasible?

I'm not depressed, I just like to have a contingency for every situation.

Lirlond

How do the conveyors in crematoriums work?

I decided last night that if I were to ever kill myself I'd want to shoot myself in the head while riding the conveyor into the cremation oven so that my family wouldn't have to deal with the body afterwards, is this feasible?

I'm not depressed, I just like to have a contingency for every situation.

You have to press a button

i-Lo

what's with the "heuehueue"? I don't get the meme past the point it had something to do with Brazilian players gate crashing some game in beta phase and outnumbered english speaking players significantly. And how do you pronounce "huehueheehue"?

YoungHav

Banned
Is dying of cancer less painful if you refuse treatment? How much less painful? I am wondering because I know of two elderly people that refused treatment and wonder how "peacefully" they passed.

Biff

Is a recession defined as two consecutive quarters of declining growth, or negative growth?

For example, theoretical GDP numbers:

Scenario A: Q1=+1.3%, Q2=+0.8%, Q3=+0.4%, Q4=+0.3%

Scenario B: Q1=+1.3%, Q2=-0.2%, Q3=-0.4%, Q4=-0.1%

Would Q2 to Q4 in both A and B be classified as a "Recession"? Or just B?

StuBurns

Banned
Is dying of cancer less painful if you refuse treatment? How much less painful? I am wondering because I know of two elderly people that refused treatment and wonder how "peacefully" they passed.
It depends on the cancer, and the treatment. Radiation therapy is what people dread typically, but it's normally used in conjunction with surgery, i.e. a cancerous tumor is removed, and radiotherapy is used to hopefully cause total celldeath to any remaining cancerous cells, and stop them for spreading.

Older people do react more negatively to radiotherapy generally, but surgery, presuming they're fit enough for it, shouldn't have any long lasting physical discomfort, and shouldn't have affected how peaceful or not their death was.

It's really impossible to say, but fundamentally, the side effects of radiotherapy are not pleasant, especially in the elderly. I think there's dignity in declining treatment in later years.

Cyan

Banned
Is a recession defined as two consecutive quarters of declining growth, or negative growth?

For example, theoretical GDP numbers:

Scenario A: Q1=+1.3%, Q2=+0.8%, Q3=+0.4%, Q4=+0.3%

Scenario B: Q1=+1.3%, Q2=-0.2%, Q3=-0.4%, Q4=-0.1%

Would Q2 to Q4 in both A and B be classified as a "Recession"? Or just B?

Just B. It's declining GDP, not declining growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom