• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
But will I unlock other classes this way?

Yes, like I said. Because you don't level up as adventurer, chances are 100% that a trophy will be a new class. Trophies only come from special monster kills, I thought that was given knowledge, sorry :D becomes fairly obvious after the first 2,3 trophies that they only drop from special monsters. Can be any kind of special monster though, and it still drops randomly. Again:

If you only want to unlock classes as fast as possible, play adventurer.

If you don't care about "fastest", play whatever class you like, you'll level up that class AND unlock classes, and also get better scores. (because the other classes are definitely better :p )

Yes, like I said. Because you don't level up as adventurer, chances are 100% that a trophy will be a new class. Trophies only come from special monster kills, I thought that was given knowledge, sorry :D becomes fairly obvious after the first 2,3 trophies that they only drop from special monsters. Can be any kind of special monster though, and it still drops randomly. Again:

If you only want to unlock classes as fast as possible, play adventurer.

If you don't care about "fastest", play whatever class you like, you'll level up that class AND unlock classes, and also get better scores. (because the other classes are definitely better :p )

Ok I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the advice!

Under 2000 more achievement points until I hit 100k in Game Center.

Wow-I've been purposely grinding away lately at them and I'm only at 22K.

:(

although to be fair I've been spending a lot of time in Infinity Blade multiplayer to get the "100 wins with Knight" and "100 wins with Titan" achievements-and they are taking FOREVER. I wish there was some kind of progress bar on that....

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The threads would never last. They'd be 1-2 pages tops and would actually get way less attention for the game then just posting in here does.
Actually, I was really quite shocked that the Tiny Tower thread got to 1,500 posts.

Manik

Just picked up my very first iPad and, after a year and a half break from any iOS devices, am excited to see how far the games have come.

Already spent 5hrs sat just trying everything out... It passed in the blink of an eye, so it's looking good. No sleep for me tonight!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Actually, I was really quite shocked that the Tiny Tower thread got to 1,500 posts.

The Carcassonne one was the longest-lasting one by far (and would still be going if I hadn't folded it for the broader iOS-board-games one) but for regular iOS flavor-of-the-week crap? Naaah

Thanati

I'm pleasantly surprised with Skylanders Cloud Patrol. That is one FUN game! Had a blast earlier that was supposed to be 10 minutes. 45 minutes later I thought i'd best put it down. My wife loves it too, which is a bonus. :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I finally completed Incoboto tonight. I played it in little bursts, especially when I got stuck, but the game was really a joy to play. For those that don't know, it's a puzzle platformer with these Galaxy-esque spherical worlds, but with mind bending environment puzzles more like a metroidvania game or even Portal. I was pleasantly surprised by how approachable the game was, although some of the puzzles were a bit too fiddly at times, and the later worlds could be daunting with their size. The game helpfully hints to the next star pieces you need though, and leads you through gently without handholding too much.

And the ending was brilliant. After slowly proceeding through the whole game and earning every step of it
at the end you get a jetpack and can fly around the levels with inpunity, picking up the remaining star pieces in short order
. It's incredibly liberating and gives you a feel of real power, and was a fantastic way to end the game. Felt a lot like Half Life 2 in that regard.

Highly recommended though. Anyone else play this?

Next up: Waking Mars. Bring it!

chiQ

I'm pleasantly surprised with Skylanders Cloud Patrol. That is one FUN game! Had a blast earlier that was supposed to be 10 minutes. 45 minutes later I thought i'd best put it down. My wife loves it too, which is a bonus. :)

Me too. I wasn't expecting much either, but it's fun.

Pastry

Banned
I finally completed Incoboto tonight. I played it in little bursts, especially when I got stuck, but the game was really a joy to play. For those that don't know, it's a puzzle platformer with these Galaxy-esque spherical worlds, but with mind bending environment puzzles more like a metroidvania game or even Portal. I was pleasantly surprised by how approachable the game was, although some of the puzzles were a bit too fiddly at times, and the later worlds could be daunting with their size. The game helpfully hints to the next star pieces you need though, and leads you through gently without handholding too much.

And the ending was brilliant. After slowly proceeding through the whole game and earning every step of it
at the end you get a jetpack and can fly around the levels with inpunity, picking up the remaining star pieces in short order
. It's incredibly liberating and gives you a feel of real power, and was a fantastic way to end the game. Felt a lot like Half Life 2 in that regard.

Highly recommended though. Anyone else play this?

Next up: Waking Mars. Bring it!

Incoboto is probably my favorite iOS game, I loved everything about it. It also has one of my favorite soundtracks on iOS, it made every planet seem so lonely.

chixdiggit

Last night I apparently had too much ambien and ended up buying $30 worth of Apple's productivity software at 4am... So if anyone ever wants impressions of Pages, Numbers, or Keynote, let me know. :/

How is Pages compared to Word when importing? I have Numbers and am completely dissatisfied with it when comparing it to Excel. I was really hoping to have the same features but it is far from that.

Bar Oasis 1.5 released a few days ago. It's a free stand-alone story that bridges the gap between the original Bar Oasis and Bar Oasis 2 (which is coming out in a few weeks). To anyone that didn't check out the original it's half visual novel, half bar tending thing (with a full drink recipe book that can be used out of game). I had a good time with the first one, and am probably going to check out 1.5 tonight. Will report back.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/bar-oasis-1.5/id521430104?mt=8

And if you're interested in the original: http://itunes.apple.com/app/bar-oasis/id433902000?mt=8

21XIEqLNqEzCoeAItxUtyg-temp-upload.ijbpgvxy.320x480-75.jpg
21XIEqLNqEzCoeAItxUtyg-temp-upload.vmbeiwyt.320x480-75.jpg
21XIEqLNqEzCoeAItxUtyg-temp-upload.xryvujkb.320x480-75.jpg

Jonnyram

Finally got around to playing New Star Soccer and I am hooked.
What's really awesome is the fact I'm playing at clubs I care about, because my home town is in the Conference North right now. I actually signed to them at the end of the first season in career mode :D

Shearie

I've been addicted to Spacechem these past few days. Was getting bored of most games lately and I needed something refreshingly unique like this. Really tests my design and problem solving skills without being stressful. Extremely satisfying whenever you solve something that stumped you just a while ago. Even though it's early goings, it's easily one of the best iOS games I've played.

AllenShrz

Whats the general opinion on Max Payne?

I bought it and Im using the new ipad and is very sluggish not exactly the experience that I want from Max Payne.

I would have thought that the ipad is more than sufficient to run MP at max with high frame rate..... but no

Odrion

Banned
I'm seriously contemplating getting an iPod Touch.

I may have an iPad, but there's still so many games that are only iPod. And seeing that touch controls work and there's actually quite a lot of gameboy-tier titles. Ey!

idolminds

Neo Member
I'm seriously contemplating getting an iPod Touch.

I may have an iPad, but there's still so many games that are only iPod. And seeing that touch controls work and there's actually quite a lot of gameboy-tier titles. Ey!

iPod games will run on iPads, however iPad games won't run on iPods. I've got an iPod myself, its great, but some of those ipad exclusive games I'd love to play.

Odrion

Banned
There are quite a bit of iPod games that are really clunky to play on the iPad due to the placement of the virtual buttons.

Shaneus

I just started playing Waking Mars today. Holy hell, that shit is polished. On a complete other level to Spider. Jetpack controls are taking me a while to get used to though.
Be interesting to see what their sales are like now that it hit $3. I know that was enough to push me over the edge (though really, it shouldn't have been. It's only $2 FFS).

Galaxy on fire 2 HD plays really well over airplay, you don't need reaction time and it looks really pretty on a big screen, you could say that it could easily be an XBLA or PSN game no problem.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was browsing the store on the phone earlier and saw this "Brandnew Boy" game and it... looks pretty good and seems fun? Looks like it's some sort of Korean beat 'em up RPG, I presume it's grindy but it's not really a problem for me. Any impressions? No virtual sticks so it doesn't have the cooties as per GAF. Only post I found was GeekyDad mentioning it went on sale and loading problems on the 3GS (did you get it to run?). I should probably wait for another price drop though, it was 0.99 a couple of days ago but it's back to 3.99 now.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbf89HcTZAM

Bunch of pics because it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom