• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari Jaguar must haves

In 1994 I sold the SNES with mana, mariokart, simcity, mario allstars, zelda so I could buy an Atari Jaguar with Cybermorph.
I thought I had it all, next-gen, best controller, best support, brightest future... etc.

In the following years the HUGE library of Jaguar titles made it very difficult to find the real gems.

6.jpg

These games are worth mentioning:

Alien vs Predator
Atari Karts (Yes, better than mariokart)
Cannon Fodder
Doom
Defender 2000
Raiden
Powerdrive rally
Tempest 2000
Wolfenstein 3D
Syndicate
Rayman
anzjag1.jpg

Who has one, and who still plays on it?
Any recommendations or small tidbits?

!!LONG LIVE THE JAG!!

Xdrive05

My cousin got one a few years back, it's not too bad iirc. Kinda reminds me of early 3rd party N64 titles or something.

Brashnir

It boggles my mind that someone at Atari actually got paid to design that controller.

And then more people got paid to approve it, and make the decision that *this* was the way to control next-gen games.

:lol

I was so faked out, especially because I was excited to see a Jaguar thread, Club Drive was awsome

the only problem is when this gets to 2 or more pages it will be a problem

Pikelet

You do realise that from now on every second thread is going to do that as well right?

also:
Sneaky topic title. 0 replies but 5+ pages! o_O

What's so awesome about Atari Karts?
what game is that in your avatar?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wow... that was the plotline for the Jaguar version of Rayman?

Was that plot presented in the game itself, or just the promo art?

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
DavidDayton said:
Wow... that was the plotline for the Jaguar version of Rayman?

Was that plot presented in the game itself, or just the promo art?
It's just a crappy ad for the system.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Chris Remo said:
What's the big deal about this thread's title...?
It was 'Atari Jaguar must haves ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )' before some freedom-hating mod edited. :D

Red Scarlet

Ruud_Luiten said:
Atari Karts is one of the best multiplayer titles on the jag. It is indeed fun, has clever shortcuts and cheesy music.
A musthave and pretty rare also.

mustsee:
http://www.planet-atari.de/img/articles/2188/Atari-Karts-3.wmv

Can you use weapons or jump?

Pikelet said:
You do realise that from now on every second thread is going to do that as well right?

also:

what game is that in your avatar?

My avatars are randomized, so it's impossible to answer unless you can describe what it was.

Hunter D

Ruud_Luiten said:
In 1994 I sold the SNES with mana, mariokart, simcity, mario allstars, zelda so I could buy an Atari Jaguar with Cybermorph.
I thought I had it all, next-gen, best controller, best support, brightest future... etc.
Self-ownage at its finest.

The Atari Jaguar version of Tempest 2000 is the best, the sound is very bassy and fits well with the techo beats (especially when you get to the "yellow" stages it sounds amazing).

The CD-ROM versions were re-sampled to some sort of format and must have lost something in the translation, the music is way more "tinny" and loses a lot of its flavor. The graphics are also shat on the PSX version.

That game alone is worth owning a Jag for, but we're likely to see some sort of Tempest sequel on XBLA soon enough.

Dave Long

Banned
Dude, you fail at trade-ins. I got like $50 in value for Secret of Mana alone and paid real dollars for the rest of the Jag.

Cybermorph for. the. win.

Actually, I'd like to have one again simply to play Tempest 2000. None of the other versions on other systems even come close to the original. The Jag is worth owning just for that one game. Aliens vs. Predator is pretty dang cool too.

CountZeroInt said:
That game alone is worth owning a Jag for, but we're likely to see some sort of Tempest sequel on XBLA soon enough.

Space Giraffe is a direct sequel to Tempest 2000, it's just not licensed.

Kasumi Ninja, it may be a totally shit Mortal Kombat rip off but it does have a Scottish warrior called Angus who lifts his Kilt up and shoots fireballs at you from his nether-regions;

kasumi_ninja.jpg

I have my original Jag stuffed in a closet with Tempest 2000. And that's it. AvP, Iron Soldier, Rayman were other nice ones back when, but were sold long ago. But Tempest 2000 IS Jaguar and vice-versa, and at the time it was really impressive.

I actually got T2K it direct from Atari right at release when a rep was frequenting a Compuserve board or some such. Memory getting fuzzy as to who it was (Dave something?).

Rocksteady33

I bought one of these a couple years back for $50 brand new... I have since sold it, as it's a pretty god awful system, but I'll admit it had a few gems.

I was a fan of Rayman, DOOM, Theme Park, Ruiner Pinball and dare I say it - Bubsy.

Bootaaay said:
Kasumi Ninja, it may be a totally shit Mortal Kombat rip off but it does have a Scottish warrior called Angus who lifts his Kilt up and shoots fireballs at you from his nether-regions;

kasumi_ninja.jpg

If only one pic is to be posted, I'm glad it's this one.

jarrod

Banned
I wonder if they'll eventually add the Atari systems to the Virtual Console? It'd be nice to get Rayman 1 on there...

Top Bottom