• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[ps3] F1 Championship Edition

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
okay - not played yet - will try after Tekken.

first bit of bad news...
although the prowheel is supported, there is no force feed back (according to the back of the box)

and no 1080i support.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Nooooooooo, I need force feedback :(

Let us know if it has an english option when you try it please:)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
DCharlie said:
okay - not played yet - will try after Tekken.

first bit of bad news...
although the prowheel is supported, there is no force feed back (according to the back of the box)

and no 1080i support.

wait...its supported by the logitech Gran Turismo pro wheel but it hasno force feedback?!?!?!

WTF!!! GAMEBREAKER!!! THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!! AARRGGHHHH!!!

Sorry. I bought the damn wheel mainly for PS3 games and now I cant use FF on it? :'( money wasted

DCharlie

just had a quick go - have to go eat and stuff :

+ looks great
+ handles very well indeed (not tried wheel yet)
+ great sense of speed
+ lot of menus in english
+ has the 'correct japanese F1 music' (according to Mrs C)
+ has not been affected by the GTHD shock - still looks great.
+ excellent view from in camera.
+ nut popping replays
+ excellent sound *(warning - i just upgraded my sound, som everything suddenly sounds good)
+ watching suspension in replay is pretty nice
+ awesome lighting and reflections
+ options to make it noob friendly (steering assistance, anti lock brakes, spin recovery etc...) or not (obviously)
+ Replay TV - simulates race, you watch - so you can watch the engine do its thing... and it's :O)
+ weather is impressive looking

- commentary in Japanese (what little there is)
- some text in english (tips trivial etc - not tried anything other than straight mode)
- psp wing mirror options gone?
- 1 player only - no split screen, no link up, no online... no thing
- looooooooooad timeeeees

? no 1080i support
? no force feed back support
? race track background somewhat bland (err

Remember this is off one quick race - i need to play some more but so far the signs are pretty good sofar

f@luS

More than a member.
wow , no multi at all?

not even link, nor split ?

now thats kinda s*it , is this like motorstorm a beta? or the us game is gonna be the same?

pilonv1

If this is Liverpool Studio or whoever has been doing the F1 games in the past I'm not surprised, they've been making great improvements over the years. No splitscreen is laughable since the previous versions have had multiplayer and online play. I guess since no one is paying for the online service they can't really complain (rolleyes). If they're not adding it in for the Euro release in "March" then I'll be astounded.

pswii60

DCharlie said:
just had a quick go - have to go eat and stuff :

+ looks great
+ handles very well indeed (not tried wheel yet)
+ great sense of speed
+ lot of menus in english
+ has the 'correct japanese F1 music' (according to Mrs C)
+ has not been affected by the GTHD shock - still looks great.
+ excellent view from in camera.
+ nut popping replays
+ excellent sound *(warning - i just upgraded my sound, som everything suddenly sounds good)
+ watching suspension in replay is pretty nice
+ awesome lighting and reflections
+ options to make it noob friendly (steering assistance, anti lock brakes, spin recovery etc...) or not (obviously)
+ Replay TV - simulates race, you watch - so you can watch the engine do its thing... and it's :O)
+ weather is impressive looking

- commentary in Japanese (what little there is)
- some text in english (tips trivial etc - not tried anything other than straight mode)
- psp wing mirror options gone?
- 1 player only - no split screen, no link up, no online... no thing
- looooooooooad timeeeees

? no 1080i support
? no force feed back support
? race track background somewhat bland (err

Remember this is off one quick race - i need to play some more but so far the signs are pretty good sofar

Hey DCharlie,

Does this actually look better than GTHD?

And does it look better than anything on 360? It sounds like you were very impressed!

DCharlie

yup - your race options are :

Race
Time attack
Single weekend
World championship - practice qualitying etc... all very light and fluffy - for me thats fine, for sim fans, i think it's going to piss them off.
Does this actually look better than GTHD?

hmmm... i don't think so - but there's not a great deal in it , which i think is very good. Especially considering it's handling rain effects , lighting , multiple cars....

And does it look better than anything on 360? It sounds like you were very impressed!

Again, it does look very very impressive - but i'm not sure i'd say it looks better than anything on the X360. I certainly looks up there compared to what we've seen to date though (in replay mode, with rain)

pics coming next post

DCharlie

335017995_532d0ba23b_b.jpg

335015495_3ab7d957a4_b.jpg

335016136_1dddf3f49f_b.jpg

335016740_654a70258a_b.jpg

335017281_a01df90c2a_b.jpg

pilonv1

DCharlie said:
World championship - practice qualitying etc... all very light and fluffy - for me thats fine, for sim fans, i think it's going to piss them off.

That's how they've been for a while. Nothing like Grand Prix Legends, GP4 or even Grand Prix Challenge on PS2 sadly. That's not to say it's not enjoyable.

DCharlie

30 with blur - but it's very very very smooth.
Just had the Replay TV run round Monte Carlo...

<Vader> Impressive... Most impressive</vader>

uploading shots now...

dan
dan
dan
DAN
DAN
DAN
DAN

skybaby

Manp said:
Like football, it has a following almost everywhere.

Hey DC, race at Monaco for nice trackside details.
Edit: looks like you already did :)

geox

Tried the demo, sensation of speed is definitely there.

I thought the game came out tomorrow in Japan...

pswii60

DCharlie said:
30 with blur - but it's very very very smooth.
Just had the Replay TV run round Monte Carlo...

<Vader> Impressive... Most impressive</vader>

uploading shots now...

dan
dan
dan
DAN
DAN
DAN
DAN

Dan.. Dan......... I'll catch up with him later. :)

Those screens look fantastic. The clouds and moody lighting gives it a scarily realistic feel. As this is developed by Sony Liverpool, I wonder if Wipeout will work of a similar engine?

Manp

skybaby said:
Like football, it has a following almost everywhere.
i know, but one thing is having a following, another is being a huge thing like football is in Europe

i mean, i'm sure football has a following in US (just for example) too but it's nothing like Europe, and i always thought the same for F1 (well maybe with the exception of Brazil)
it's probably because most of the races are held in Europe though :D

:)

DCharlie

As this is developed by Sony Liverpool, I wonder if Wipeout will work of a similar engine?

that would be quite exciting !

photos slowly going up...
unfortunately, they are a little blurry - partly the shots fault, and the engine, but the ingame effect is still very convincing.

In the demo, replays had bad draw-distance and framedrops...

not seeing any drops or draw distance issues. Some flickering on some shadows, but so minor i didn't bother mentioning them

Geox : it's usually pretty easy to get a game the day before.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
pswii60 said:
As this is developed by Sony Liverpool, I wonder if Wipeout will work of a similar engine?

That would be the real deal right there. As long as it's at least hovering around 60 fps that is. :p

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Dazzyman said:
Shame about the online so Im going to pass till next years euro/USA version

I was going to do the same, but with a $5 voucher it came to just $44.49 shipped from Yesasia, irresistible:)

SumGamer

Can you trash the car? Is the whole wreaking thing still there? Is that a tornado in the last picture :eek:
Are you able to choose second and third drivers? i.e. is De la rosa in?

P.s. Some Kimi shots please :).

EDIT: Damn you Wii predictive text!

DCharlie

sorry - got side tracked.

pictures - will play for damage in a moment -it's 10 o'clock and i aint eaten yet.

335039256_b2c7d327ef_b.jpg

335038607_c6e4ed70e7_b.jpg

335037296_57d95eff03_b.jpg

335037907_2a4645b092_b.jpg

335036660_b01328dcd1_b.jpg

335033966_4fcf537f8c_b.jpg

335035933_707c265806_b.jpg

335035235_413f8096fa_b.jpg

335034613_2d74aeb3b1_b.jpg

335033358_e776aec8d7_b.jpg

Dazzyman

Oh oh credit card getting itchy now :lol
DCharlie m8 could you check the car settings for us please and see if their in english or not when you get chance (same with the antilock stuff for controls are they english or not?). Also what levels are their for the AI (I used to be into racing sims for years on PC like GPlegends etc.. so I need it hard :lol ). Im ok with arcade racers Ive played plenty of em (even older versions of this) though just as long as they keep me on my toes.

Im a huge F1 fan (Schummy) so it is getting even more tempting (bit strapped though as looks like Im going to have to import a USA Wii as I cannot find one here in the UK this weekend first) and I can see getting plenty of joy out of the championship.

DCharlie

DCharlie m8 could you check the car settings for us please and see if their in english or not when you get chance (same with the antilock stuff for controls are they english or not?). Also what levels are their for the AI (I used to be into racing sims for years on PC like GPlegends etc.. so I need it hard ). Im ok with arcade racers Ive played plenty of em (even older versions of this) though just as long as they keep me on my toes.

car setting : all in english
these are what you have :

Steering assistance (on/off)
Braking assistance (on/off)
Stability control (off/weak/medium/strong)
Visual aids (virtual racing line/virtual markers/off)
spin recovery (on/off)
Antilock brake (on/off)
Gear box (auto/manual)

female racers are included in the profile create, but you only seem to have a choice of 17 models and you literally just choose the head.
Choose a helmet... name ... nationality

you have difficult in career... Easy medium and hard
you can opt to change the following :
Race distance : 3 laps 10% 20% 30% 50% 75% 100%
fuel use/tire wear : Scaled/realistic
rolling start : on/off

Prerace options:
Grid overview : on/off
Formation lap : on/off

Post race options:
Podium : on/off

Starting a career...

oops - all the menus are now in Japanese.... :(

hmmm... career mode might be a bit hosed for importer with no japanese - it's "text to you mobile" style presentation with you advancing through days, going for racing trials, etc... probably possible to brute force through but might not be fun (?)

Top Bottom