• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

strafer

So what I've been thinking was a goof all these years isn't actually goof but neat attention to detail.

When the Raptor is opening the door I always wondered why it never is there in doorway, but it is actually on the right side, you can see the claws on the side of the door.

XYwiYIX.gif

So what I've been thinking was a goof all these years isn't actually goof but neat attention to detail.

When the Raptor is opening the door I always wondered why it never is there in doorway, but it is actually on the right side, you can see the claws on the side of the door.

XYwiYIX.gif
And in the window... How are you feeling? Lol.

So, who bought the digital copy?

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the special features. I am definitely let down, personally.

At the moment no, but I've come close a few times. I live in Cincinnati, so there's ex-Kenner people all over the place. Probably won't be adding a whole lot for now, next summer I am working on a Jeep 18 replica.
Just an FYI, I follow you on twitter- I usually find out any JP related news first from you, so thanks lol.

I thought I saw that collection elsewhere (I think)!

What's your handle again? If you ever have any prototype leads that are out of your price range (or art pieces, story bibles, leads on the future ranges...etc.) lemme know! I don't have the money for prototype collecting myself, but know some people who are good for it.

So, who bought the digital copy?

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the special features. I am definitely let down, personally.

I thought I saw that collection elsewhere (I think)!

What's your handle again? If you ever have any prototype leads that are out of your price range (or art pieces, story bibles, leads on the future ranges...etc.) lemme know! I don't have the money for prototype collecting myself, but know some people who are good for it.

Ive posted it on JPtoys before (user on there is rob6027), and once on here as well- just without the Jurassic World stuff.

MattyG

Banned
I finally watched Jurassic World. Holy. SHIT. That was fantastic, I loved almost everything about it. Pretty much the only thing that will beat it this year for me is The Force Awakens. When I realized
Claire was going to get the T-Rex...

vu0AC4m.gif

XYwiYIX.gif

It is a bit of an odd continuity thing--the raptor does move to the left so . . . we think he should be in the door way. I've also thought that was strange, though nothing game-breaking.

Snaku

Banned
I finally watched Jurassic World. Holy. SHIT. That was fantastic, I loved almost everything about it. Pretty much the only thing that will beat it this year for me is The Force Awakens. When I realized

vu0AC4m.gif

Preach!

Yup. Watching a digital copy now to tide me over until the Bluray. So fucking good.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally saw Jurassic World and I hated it :(

I really, really wanted to like it. Everything about it just felt wrong to me. The character motivations made no sense, there was so little logic to the way the park was set up, ect. I just kept getting pulled out of the movie by simple questions.

Dumb things, like why wouldn't they have the tracking software for the big new killer dinosaur installed right there where its cage was instead of having to drive all the way back to the command center to track it? There were so many times when I questioned what was going on and why it was going on that I couldn't get into the movie.

Veelk

Banned
I asked this before, and it wasn't answered.

Are we allowed to talk about other dinosaur related stuff that isn't Jurassic related, but not large enough on it's own to get much attention elsewhere? I think it'd be good to, since the Jurassic Franchise is more about the premise of dinosaurs than any particular character, location or plot, I would say, so other dinosaur related series would be relevant to the thread.

Toa TAK

Banned
I asked this before, and it wasn't answered.

Are we allowed to talk about other dinosaur related stuff that isn't Jurassic related, but not large enough on it's own to get much attention elsewhere? I think it'd be good to, since the Jurassic Franchise is more about the premise of dinosaurs than any particular character, location or plot, I would say, so other dinosaur related series would be relevant to the thread.

Like other Dino-related fiction or just Dinos in general? If the ladder, there's a thread for that. If the former... *shrugs*

Veelk

Banned
Like other Dino-related fiction or just Dinos in general? If the ladder, there's a thread for that. If the former... *shrugs*

Fiction. The point of the Jurassic franchise is "Stories with Dinosaurs". I got atleast one people should check out, but I want to clear that it's appropriate to post here.

And I feel it should be. I mean, Jurassic World 2 is years away. What else are we going to do in the meantime?

Toa TAK

Banned
Fiction. The point of the Jurassic franchise is "Stories with Dinosaurs". I got atleast one people should check out, but I want to clear that it's appropriate to post here.

And I feel it should be. I mean, Jurassic World 2 is years away. What else are we going to do in the meantime?

Do a book discussion a chapter a week on the books. It's the best I can do.

Veelk

Banned
Do a book discussion a chapter a week on the books. It's the best I can do.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Seriously, I have like 8 books to read for classes. I can't read it at any regular pace, so I just want to drop a recommendation for everyone. I just don't know if this is the place, but I feel it should be.

Toa TAK

Banned
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Seriously, I have like 8 books to read for classes. I can't read it at any regular pace, so I just want to drop a recommendation for everyone. I just don't know if this is the place, but I feel it should be.
Go for it.

Amalthea

Banned
The girl next to me clapped when that scene happened.
When Rexy showed up to be precise.
The only person in the audience. Was kinda awkward but I also realized that I might not be the biggest female JP fan around.

Toki767

I'm actually in Kauai right now (where parts of Jurassic Park was filmed) and it's really beautiful. I keep imagining dinosaurs were roaming about though lol

I finally saw Jurassic World and I hated it :(

I really, really wanted to like it. Everything about it just felt wrong to me. The character motivations made no sense, there was so little logic to the way the park was set up, ect. I just kept getting pulled out of the movie by simple questions.

Dumb things, like why wouldn't they have the tracking software for the big new killer dinosaur installed right there where its cage was instead of having to drive all the way back to the command center to track it? There were so many times when I questioned what was going on and why it was going on that I couldn't get into the movie.
About the bolded, just remember that this is a brand new pen that is still under construction. You can also chalk it up to their ego (and its size, where else are they gonna put it?) as to why they felt it was safe enough to keep it in there while they were still working on it without a fully functioning system in place.

OR

Since this is a place visitors are likely to view the dino, they probably didn't want alarms going off to cause concern and panic amongst the public since it seems like it happens often enough (pachy escape mentioned earlier in the film). This system keeps it discreet.

Blablurn

So I watched the movie for the second time

- I don't think it's that rewatchable to be honest. The beginning felt a lil slow.
- The lil older kid annoyed me more than in the first time. He gets better later on but that constant staring like a mad man at girls gets old fast
- The end fight is perfection. Pure perfection
- "I need you to open paddock 9" - STILL AWESOME.
- Music is still fantastic
- Still million times better than 3

Blablurn

The beginning slow? They're at the park in like 4 minutes lol

The pacing is great in that movie all around.

I respect your opinion!

It's still good. But as someone for who already watched it, it felt kinda slow.
The thing is. I am also not a huge fan of flying dinosaurs. Not even I was a small Blablurn and even less now. It annoyed me in JP3 and it kinda was unappealing for me in World.

But...

That ONE kill that features bothing the flying dinosaurs and the mesasaurus is STILL badass as fuck. I can't believe people made a controversary out of it lol.

Well yeah, I mean after you've seen something you've seen it, so naturally... but I don't really think anything is boring or too slow myself. I like how quick it gets to the island, it sets up the characters in a nice and tidy fashion and gets them on their way. The first 20 minutes or so pretty efficiently establishes the characters while giving the new park some grandeur by keeping at moving from one thing to the next.

I especially like the helicopter ride with Masrani, it's very quirky as he's this rich dude with everything money can buy so now he's thrill-seeking by getting his flying license and pretending like he's invincible. At first I thought that scene felt a little too silly, but it grew on me.

Also, did you notice that right before they land beside the Indominus' paddock, that you see a really big waterfall... :p

Blablurn

Well yeah, I mean after you've seen something you've seen it, so naturally... but I don't really think anything is boring or too slow myself. I like how quick it gets to the island, it sets up the characters in a nice and tidy fashion and gets them on their way. The first 20 minutes or so pretty efficiently establishes the characters while giving the new park some grandeur by keeping at moving from one thing to the next.

I especially like the helicopter ride with Masrani, it's very quirky as he's this rich dude with everything money can buy so now he's thrill-seeking by getting his flying license and pretending like he's invincible. At first I thought that scene felt a little too silly, but it grew on me.

Also, did you notice that right before they land beside the Indominus' paddock, that you see a really big waterfall... :p

i remember the waterfall but i dont get the reference :S

masrani is so cool. there is the moment where u almost think that he is that typical one dimensional character. but then he shows that he isnt. he is very cool and funny.
and then dead :(

aaaaaah, i remember now! Nice :D

Yep. I like how Trevorrow showed that same waterfall, but just briefly, kind of a blink and you'll miss it moment. I didn't even make the connection for several viewings. It also implies that the Indominus paddock is built very close to where the helipad was in the first movie. Would've been kind of cool if they'd have used the same helipad with Masrani commenting on how it was already there so they just used it, but people who make a living off complaining about relying on nostalgia would've lost sleep over it.

I'm gonna need you folks with PS4s' names so we can make a dino game community. With Primal Carnage coming soon, it'd be a nice way for us all to get on the same page.

I'm gonna need you folks with PS4s' names so we can make a dino game community. With Primal Carnage coming soon, it'd be a nice way for us all to get on the same page.

I actually just started a Jurassic Park Community but if you want to make a dinosaur community that's cool too!

my PSN ID is retrobrando

strafer

This is appreciated as a huge JP fan

Peter, if you want me to run your little camping trip, there are two conditions: first, I'm in charge, and when I'm not around, Dieter is. All you have to do is sign the checks, tell us we're doing a good job, and open your case of scotch when we have a good day. Second condition: my fee? You can keep it. All I want in return for my services is the right to hunt one of the tyrannosaurs. A male, a buck only. How and when is my business. Now if you don't like either of those conditions, you're on your own. So go ahead, set up base camp right here, or in a swamp, or in the middle of a Rex nest for all I care. But I've been on too many safaris with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas, OK?

Fuchsdh

You know, rewatching the film, I think I would have just preferred it if they killed the whole military subplot/sequel planking and just spent more time with Owen, Claire, and the kids in the ruins of the old park. The escaped Pteradons still seems like it doesn't belong in the film to me.

bengraven

You know, rewatching the film, I think I would have just preferred it if they killed the whole military subplot/sequel planking and just spent more time with Owen, Claire, and the kids in the ruins of the old park. The escaped Pteradons still seems like it doesn't belong in the film to me.

I would have liked another chase sequence in the park itself with the IRex and either Owen/Claire or the kids. I guess we did get two with the kids at least if you count the ball smashing scene and then the visitor's center attack, but I would have liked another Alan/kids style running from Irex scene.

Fuchsdh

I would have liked another chase sequence in the park itself with the IRex and either Owen/Claire or the kids. I guess we did get two with the kids at least if you count the ball smashing scene and then the visitor's center attack, but I would have liked another Alan/kids style running from Irex scene.

I think it's just the fact that the film doesn't really do anything with the crowds in the park at all, aside from the Pteradon attack, which doesn't work for me in a lot of ways. Making it much more about the threat of the I. rex reaching the main park would have worked better for me in terms of stakes. You could still have the climax end up the same way, but as it was with the park empty when convenient it felt like it was short-circuiting the tension.

I wanted more time with the important characters interacting as well.

It's kinda funny, if it weren't for the Aviary breach the park would have probably seen 0 visitor deaths, and remained open after the Indominus was taken care of.

I think it's just the fact that the film doesn't really do anything with the crowds in the park at all, aside from the Pteradon attack, which doesn't work for me in a lot of ways. Making it much more about the threat of the I. rex reaching the main park would have worked better for me in terms of stakes. You could still have the climax end up the same way, but as it was with the park empty when convenient it felt like it was short-circuiting the tension.

I wanted more time with the important characters interacting as well.

I agree that the film didn't properly utilize its setting. We should have seen more of the park up and running, and then have seen more of the park fall. It would have been cool to see people chased into view exhibits like the T.rex Kingdom, or underwater viewing observatory.

It also kills me they cut the monorail attack sequence.

Jawmuncher

Since we're talking music I really liked Chasing the Dragons. Mainly that beginning part which was used in the movie. Really nails the feel of being in a badass chase/hunt.
So pretty much 0:00 to 1:27

Since we're talking music I really liked Chasing the Dragons. Mainly that beginning part which was used in the movie. Really nails the feel of being in a badass chase/hunt.
So pretty much 0:00 to 1:27

That's great but man honestly the entire soundtrack is. Another great track is the one right after it when the raptors are chasing the ambulance. That shit is just awesome. Amazing sequence overall. Nah, the entire connective tissue of the last 20 or so minutes is just absolutely on fire.

I'll also add that I'm actually glad that the movie didn't involve the tourists too much outside of the pteranodon attack. I thought that was plenty enough and you saw them all together at the end before the huge standoff, which relayed the stakes of Indominus reaching them just fine. I think the movie personally worked for me so well because it didn't sit around explaining or spoonfeeding a lot of stuff to the audience. I felt like, for me anyway, it treated me like I was smart enough to understand things.

Pretty much every question I had about logic or anything really had some kind of tidy bit of information that was just enough for me to go on; like how people complain about how the gyrosphere stuff is a safety hazard and would never fly. You hear Claire earlier mention invisible force fields, and Fallon demonstrates how durable the glass is. That's all I personally needed instead of some let's sit down and explain all this shit to the audience.

Anybody remember the Cinnamon Crunchs with dinosaur tracks and chomping spoons for TLW?

https://youtu.be/UYxUy5R-rSU

God I ate like 3 boxes of those with these crappy, awkward spoons despite not liking them too much because I was such a tool.
What a fucking flashback. Thanks for reminding me. Last time I had this time warp was when I saw the TMNT turtle shaped cereal bowls at a cartoon and toy museum. Cereal is key to time travel I bet!

Jurassic Park is my favorite film. I also actually liked JW for what it was, even if it was kinda silly. :p

I wish there was a sequel to Operation Genesis.

Toa TAK

Banned
So the deleted scene in JW where they cover themselves in dino shit is funny. But at the beginning it's really off in that both Pratt and Howard's lines feel like total parodies of their respective characters. Claire goes off about how she's an awful aunt and Owen literally growls as he talks about how other people are bad to be around. It's totally lolworthy and I can see why that was cut. But when they actually eat shit, then it's great.

Jawmuncher

So the deleted scene in JW where they cover themselves in dino shit is funny. But at the beginning it's really off in that both Pratt and Howard's lines feel like total parodies of their respective characters. Claire goes off about how she's an awful aunt and Owen literally growls as he talks about how other people are bad to be around. It's totally lolworthy and I can see why that was cut. But when they actually eat shit, then it's great.

Yeah it works as a deleted scene since it's funny but I'm glad they cut it as well

Top Bottom