• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Ashhong

Had no idea this was a beta thread for Apple devices..thought it was something else lol. Now I feel dumb.

Was in the middle of downloading iOS11 for my iPhone 6 but then cancelled it, thinking it might crash a lot. Installing it on my work 6S instead. Looking forward to it!

jts

...hate me...
Thanks. Doesn't sound necessary in the day to day or like it'll be a qol upgrade.

For me that's the new Control Center.

A costumizable single pane control center sounds amazing to me, especially since I use homekit.

No more swiping sideways all the time whoo.

Ashhong

Hm, I thought with this update we might be able to see more information on files in our device, including cache and whatnot. Basically a way to see what kind of junk is on the phone and clear up space. But in the Files app I see nothing. Exactly what kind of files should I even see in there?

gamma

Hm, I thought with this update we might be able to see more information on files in our device, including cache and whatnot. Basically a way to see what kind of junk is on the phone and clear up space. But in the Files app I see nothing. Exactly what kind of files should I even see in there?

Documents and pictures etc

jstripes

Banned

Apple's never gonna give anyone access to system and settings areas of the OS. Those are crazy sandboxed, for a good reason.

Apple's never gonna give anyone access to system and settings areas of the OS. Those are crazy sandboxed, for a good reason.
At the same time, I wish there was a setting buried in the storage settings that let me delete the cache of some apps. I deleted Yelp finally because it was taking up over a gig of space and wouldn't decrease when I began to run out of storage on my phone.

jstripes

Banned
At the same time, I wish there was a setting buried in the storage settings that let me delete the cache of some apps. I deleted Yelp finally because it was taking up over a gig of space and wouldn't decrease when I began to run out of storage on my phone.

Ya, it would be handy. Apple should enforce the ability to clear non-critical cache objects. App-by-app, and a nuclear system-wide option. Maybe the problem is obsessive compulsive people like my old boss would do it on a daily basis and rapidly wear down the flash storage. (He would defrag his SSD daily, even though I told him it was completely unnecessary.)

iOS11 gives you the ability to offload apps. Keeps the user data but clears the app off the system to let you redownload it. Seems like an effective way to clear the cache but keep your login and preferences and stuff

iOS11 gives you the ability to offload apps. Keeps the user data but clears the app off the system to let you redownload it. Seems like an effective way to clear the cache but keep your login and preferences and stuff

I think that would depend on how the apps are storing their data and cache. If an app improperly thinks things like image caches, like Yelp, are "user data", all that will happen is that the 100mb app itself will be deleted and all the other junk may still stick around, maybe?

I think that would depend on how the apps are storing their data and cache. If an app improperly thinks things like image caches, like Yelp, are "user data", all that will happen is that the 100mb app itself will be deleted and all the other junk may still stick around, maybe?

Well iOS has a fairly standardized system. iOS developers know to place cache in /Library/Caches for years now and user data in Documents. I suspect it will keep everything but the AppName.app and the /tmp folder.

Maybe, and you’re right, it depends on how the app flags the data itself. They’re supposed to catch that kind of stuff in app review but who knows. I have faith hopefully something like that will work, as the point of offloading apps is to save space but not delete your stuff

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Well iOS has a fairly standardized system. iOS developers know to place cache in /Library/Caches for years now and user data in Documents. I suspect it will keep everything but the AppName.app and the /tmp folder.

^ This.

Here's Facebook as an example from my device just now:

JDhLsPp.jpg

It's important to note perhaps that the "auto-offload" feature if enabled only offloads unused apps when you run short of space but you can manually offload any app by going into it specifically like the above.

Ashhong

Documents and pictures etc

So if I'm already saving all of my notes and documents to iCloud and photos to iCloud Photo Library, the "Files" app doesn't really do anything for me? Because I see no photos or notes in there. It basically just shows the same thing that the iCloud Drive app shows

I get that, just thought they were giving us a bit more access like the option to clear cache and stuff as mentioned above. Slightly disappointed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So if I'm already saving all of my notes and documents to iCloud and photos to iCloud Photo Library, the "Files" app doesn't really do anything for me? Because I see no photos or notes in there. It basically just shows the same thing that the iCloud Drive app shows

I get that, just thought they were giving us a bit more access like the option to clear cache and stuff as mentioned above. Slightly disappointed.

It's Apple's version of say Dropbox.

Once up and running fully it's in theory where you would store photos etc that you want to keep instead of the Camera roll. At the moment in the beta you'd have to move photos or other files manually over to the Files section from the camera etc. I wouldn't necessarily recommend moving stuff there for safekeeping during the beta at all mind you.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What’s this and how does it affect me as a user?
Augmented Reality. When you overlay stuff over a real world image. Like say you point your phone camera at a street and Google Maps points out all the restaurants and businesses and gives information on them based on your GPS location and the orientation of the device.

Depends on the app. I'm sure apps will come along to take advantage of it.

DOWN

Banned
When does iOS decide an app on your device should be offloaded? Like it hasn't been used in 60 days or something?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When does iOS decide an app on your device should be offloaded? Like it hasn't been used in 60 days or something?
Yeah I'm wondering myself. Mine says I'll save like 150MB if I enable the option but it doesn't tell me what app it is. I only keep what I actually need and use though so I won't even bother. I don't even use the photo optimization and keep all my photos on my device too.

A costumizable single pane control center sounds amazing to me, especially since I use homekit.

Agreed. It may sound stupid but I fucking despised having to switch pages in CC all the time. If you've seen my Home Screen with all my icons on one page and four folders with a maximum of 9 items in each all on one page so I can see everything at all times, you'd understand why having to swipe to get to music bugs me to no end.

I'd make some changes though.

For one, I'd much rather have the top left box of buttons and the top right music controller be 4x1 sized and on top of each other instead of next to each other. Basically the four controls would be like they are in 10, with them at the top. And the music right under it. The music box would be taller though.

I'd also make Screen Mirroring a single button and put it with the removable stuff at the bottom. Also make the Rotation Lock and DND buttons part of that group too. Maybe alternately put those two in the top group instead. Then make the top group able to be 4x2 instead since it would then have 8 options instead of 6. (4 + 2 hidden) I mean the rarity of use those buttons get means they don't need to be always around. Also I never use Screen Mirroring as I don't have anything to mirror to. It just takes up space.

Then make the volume and brightness be 2x1 horizontal instead of 1x2 vertical next to each other. Though that might make it weird with how the 3D touch version is vertical. Heck, make it so they're 1x1 icons and pressing down would expand them and let you swipe up or down to adjust.

Next, let us move the controls around from the Control Center screen. You have to do it in Preferences and it doesn't give you any visual indication of how it'll look since it's just a list. Let us press and hold like the Home Screen icons. Move them around. Let me move the other stuff too. If you're gonna keep the top stuff in groups of 2x2, let us move those 2x2 boxes around. I want my music lower and those other controls up higher. I'd put my music next to the brightness and volume sliders.

Lastly, let devs put controls in that pool like Widgets. I think they already can. I saw it in a YouTube video about the beta. Someone created their own icon. I don't know if it's official or not yet. Let them be shortcuts to apps, shortcuts to positions in apps, and have 3D touch. Though I guess they'd just be redundant to the Home Screen. But then why even let us have that stuff at all? Redundancy can be fine occasionally. I mean iOS now has like 4 separate ways of opening the Camera. Icon on Home Screen, swipe from lock screen, swipe from notification center (Which is now the lock screen too) and one in Control Center. Calculator can be accessed from both Home and CC. Now CC has Voice Memos and Notes icons. Plus three separate ways to open the Clock app to different sections. (And I have all three of them in there, baby!)

I already have mine set up with 12 icons so my screen is full. But it's still one screen. Maybe I'd add more but I like having it all in one place where I can see it all at once. I'm very digitally organized. I like knowing exactly where everything is.

Mobius 1

I need an IPSW. I've installed on the iPad Pro but I want to reset the whole thing. The "Erase All Contents and Settings" button isn't working.

DOWN

Banned
Also does offloading apps mean the app icon disappears too? Or it works like iCloud Photo Library optimization where the thumbnails stays but next time you click on it, the photo needs to be redownloaded?

I just don't like how long it takes to use air play cause the new control panel.

Also, I don't know if it's cause my phone is on 10 and iPad is on 11 but cloud tabs aren't working:/

Also does offloading apps mean the app icon disappears too? Or it works like iCloud Photo Library optimization where the thumbnails stays but next time you click on it, the photo needs to be redownloaded?

The icons grey out. When you tap an icon to open an app iOS reinstalls the app from the app store.

There’s a bug on my iPhone 7 Plus where wifi keeps turning itself on randomly. Normally I leave it on anyway, but at work the signal sucks so I want to use LTE. I pay for Verizon Unlimited and I want to use it, dammit!

DavidDesu

That's true - the new one is less attractive but vastly more useful (and that's the sort of change iOS needs - too much of the design is about photographing well instead of working well).

The control center on the iPad looks incredibly useful now. I still cannot fathom why they thought it was ever a good idea to split the main hardware controls and media controls across two swipeable pages. The whole point of touchscreens was to get away from arbitrary nonsense like that and have truly useful use of the screen space, not have a huge swathe of the screen blank and useless and then spreading controls all around pages you have to navigate. This looks great! Really loving the multi tasking improvements they've made, can't wait to get this on my iPad mini. Do they update the Betas often? If it gets more stable I might download it later down the road.

DOWN

Banned
I don't understand how to mutitask on iPad Air 2 anymore... dragging a tab around doesn't create a parallel mutitask of Safari. I don't know how to get other apps to show side by side now, as swiping from the right side of the screen does nothing

The beta feels almost release ready on the iPad Pro 10.5. There’s a few weird bugs but that thing is so powerful it can just make it feel seemless.

I was previously running it on the 9.7 and you could feel it was a beta every step of the way.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I put the beta on my iPad Mini 4 and I was really enjoying the News app, we didn't see that one before.

But I rebooted the iPad once and it's gone. What the hell. Anyone know where I can find it, is it region-locked?

dgdas9

iPad Air 2 Impressions of iOS 11:

Not slow at all, though the battery's draining a little faster than usual. Some animations shutter a little, but most other animations are sped up, which makes up for it. Some of the dock behaviour is a little counter-intuitive: I can't put an app in side-by-side view (is that the fancy term?) without having it active already.

I also got the News App, which I hadn't seen before, but only seems to cover US-centric news. The TV app, which I'd gotten in a point release of iOS 10 and was absolutely broken (I'm talking 'UIViewController crashed'--something like that though perhaps not that exactily0-- error messages broken), is gone though.

iPad Air 2 Impressions of iOS 11:

Not slow at all, though the battery's draining a little faster than usual. Some animations shutter a little, but most other animations are sped up, which makes up for it. Some of the dock behaviour is a little counter-intuitive: I can't put an app in side-by-side view (is that the fancy term?) without having it active already.

I also got the News App, which I hadn't seen before, but only seems to cover US-centric news. The TV app, which I'd gotten in a point release of iOS 10 and was absolutely broken (I'm talking 'UIViewController crashed'--something like that though perhaps not that exactily0-- error messages broken), is gone though.

If you hold your finger on an app, then use another finger to open a different app, then drag the original app over to the side, you can open two apps that weren’t originally active.

In the News app, you should be able to select news sources to get more varied news.

You can move one app without making every app avail either to move to different pages

Also iCloud tabs isn’t forward compatible with iOS 10 but it is backwards compatible.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That explains it.

I had it all setup with all kinds of news outlets and then 'poof'.
Why you gotta do me like that, Apple. You tease.

If you reboot the device, it's likely gone.

News is available in the US, UK and Australia - based on the Region you set the device to.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't install the beta on my 7 Plus yet

Because you value stability and consistency

- posted from my 7 Plus that I have rebooted twice today and had one springboard crash

I’m definitely not going back to 10 though

DOWN

Banned
Because you value stability and consistency

- posted from my 7 Plus that I have rebooted twice today and had one springboard crash

I’m definitely not going back to 10 though
I'm enjoying the beta a lot on iPad so now I'm kinda desperate for it on iPhone even though I know that I should wait until public beta update 3 or 4 is out. Also I like the new wallpaper option.

I'm enjoying the beta a lot on iPad so now I'm kinda desperate for it on iPhone even though I know that I should wait until public beta update 3 or 4 is out. Also I like the new wallpaper option.

I find it way more stable on my iPad than my iPhone for what it’s worth. But I also use my iPhone for way more stuff so who knows

Top Bottom