• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Vigil Games (2005-2013)

SxP

It's a shame. If they learned from their mistakes with Darksiders II, the next one could've be something special.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Vigil deserved much better than this. A talented studio and the combat was very well designed. I'm surprised no one even bothered to pick up on the IPs. Really disheartening.

unbias

Someone will pick up the IP, even if it goes to chapter 11. The only question is who and what they will do with it, but yes, Vigil is most likely not going to survive the process.

Spierek

; _;

I have yet to play Darksiders 2, but I adored the first game. One of my favorite experiences of 2010. Too bad nobody decided to buy them.

Kule

Darksiders 1 and 2 was gaming at it's best and it wasn't trying to be anything else. It really scratched an itch for me that most games this gen couldn't fulfill and gave me vibes of PS2 era.
It's a shame to see them go out like this.

That Crytek was willing to drop $500k on Homefront and seemingly nobody wanted Vigil is really terrible. The games they made weren't perfect, but I still really loved the work they did.

sn00zer

Darksiders 1 and 2 was gaming at it's best and it wasn't trying to be anything else. It really scratched an itch for me that most games this gen couldn't fulfill and gave me vibes of PS2 era.
It's a shame to see them go out like this.

This is so true...a weird comparison, but I felt like it was an HD Jak and Daxter....great worlds, fantastic voice work, really interesting and unique character designs, and just really really solid gameplay

its a damn shame....a damn shame

unbias

I mentioned this in the other THQ thread, but what happens to Darksiders now? Is it going to disappear from DD services?

Wont know this until the judge and everyone else gets it sorted out. There isn't a "straight line" to Chapter 11, it largely depends on the company.

Sentenza

Well, damn, I didn't like the direction they took with DS2, but that's depressing anyway.
I liked the first one a lot and the second one to a certain degree, but I surely considered them a very talented studio regardless of all the shortcomings.

Sorian

Banned
IT's an easy game to make? lol How's that, now?

I don't mean from a gameplay stand point. I mean from a story and lore stand point. The Horsemen of the apocolypse are a very large source of internal lore plus they can really be brought to whatever level you want them to be. The creative energy going in doesn't really require much for a story that will interest people.

Alex

So no one even wanted to spend the 500k minimum on Vigil & Darksiders? That's pretty depressing.

Despite its flaws, I had a MUCH better time with Darksiders 2 than the first game. Some excellent dungeons, much better combat, and an amazing soundtrack. Plus the art style was fucking beautiful.

Absolute shame about Vigil.

I for one am glad they made such an ambitious game. It was awesome. It deserved well more than 2 million in sales.

So true

Edit: Made my GOTY list easily, but came out #58 on GAF overall.

ikxzosOg9smex.jpg

The Maker's Guardian.

LTWood12

Shouldn't have ended like this. In solidarity, I will get those last Darksiders trophies I'm missing; and finally play my unopened copy of II.

That Crytek was willing to drop $500k on Homefront and seemingly nobody wanted Vigil is really terrible. The games they made weren't perfect, but I still really loved the work they did.

A studio crytek owns was already working on the homefront sequel for THQ. This was a move to protect their investment probably.

Vigil must have had issues and Darksiders did not set the world on fire.

I feel like if Darksiders 2 just had a few more months to a year to bake, it would have been one of the best action-adventure games this generation.

Instead I feel like it wasted a lot of its potential.

Still enjoyed it, but I could have loved it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Platinum #119
Darksiders II

Thank fuck it's over.
Good game, but my god 2nd & 3rd World
Earth Part
/Hub Area... I get the death motif, but GAWD DAMN, my head/eyes just were longing for some color, no more fucking skulls in game for me at least for at least 2-3 months
Need to fucking recuperate.

It took me till 3rd World to hit level 30... (so 1.5 play-through, going 50 hours total for Platinum)

The best part about the damn game is a glitch or devs didn't care or wanted to players to figure it out
The weapon upgrading was fucking sweet
I spent at least 10 hours wasting my time away duping/stacking/%+ on certain categories

That shit needs to be a staple Yo'

Pics to show you the emphasis:

My Death:
VwjVZl.jpg

Scythe (Primary) Stats:
dcbltl.jpg

Glaive (Secondary) Stats:
nKDlcl.jpg

Abilities:
Q3Xt2l.jpg

Unstoppable + Teleport Slash = 1-2 hit kill
Fucking Lawl
Bring out Ghouls, refresh Wrath with-in a second
Best damage was 25,000+ in Crucible with Secondary

I bought this for $30 from Toys R' Us deal (Buy 2 $59.99 for $30 each) with Sleeping Dogs
Getting $38.50 from Gamestop for DSII and $31 for Sleeping Dogs... So I'm making money... heh

All I know is health/wrath steal items are hella rare until after Lostlight
Every time you level up, your first priority is to run to all the vendors
I got so many health/wrath items from Tree of the Dead due to me going back to it even after I left

You stack items of the same type or same attribute

I'll tell you my process

I have a lvl 15 possessed scythe, OK
I can level it up 5 times by sacrificing ("feeding") weapons/items
You can have a max of 4 attributes on 1 weapon

First and foremost create a toon (a secondary account, you will have to kill the crow father and get to the first hub for the serpent)
He's your mule

Now become friends with him on PSN, now do the dupe trick

Send an item, once you press O to back out a prompt appears with a "O" flashing with the word "Activate" appearing, count the pulses (flashing) up to 3, then press start (if you see saving icon you messed up), select quit game

Continue, go into serpent tome, click on the e-mail you sent, you can take your item back, even though your toon already has received the item
Now you have 2, save your game in case shit happens, repeat ad nauseum

; ;

I'll miss you Weapon Smithing =/

NoblerThanWork

Neo Member
What a damn shame. Darksiders had so much potential for transmedia shit too. I would have bought the shit out of action figures and an animated movie in the Darksiders universe. Good luck Vigil guys, I love you all!!!

jackal27

Banned
ALL of the sads...

I never dug the art direction of those games much, but the gameplay was really solid. I was hoping for Sega or Nintendo to pick them up. Would have been a good fit.

sublimit

Banned
I played the demo of the first Darksiders and while the gameplay was ok i really didn't liked the art direction at all.

Anyway i hope all their employees will find work soon.

Huh? No one wanted Darksiders? It's a great franchise.

It doesn't make a lot of sense from a financial perspective.

If you lowered the production values any more, people would react badly, but it's not a series that is profitable at its current budget.

Never mind that the company founder and otherwise-big-name just left the Vigil a few months ago.

Strike

Damn. I really sorry to hear that. Especially when it's a talented developer like that. Good luck to everyone there.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I already own Darksiders 1 and 2, Wrath of War is digital but I think I'll buy it just to have a physical copy of the game. Sad to see them go. I think they would have been a good fit at Sony and could've continued the JS and DS ips. Well, heres to hoping that everyone lands on their feet and quickly recover.

Top Bottom