• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjimbo

The only reason I brought up Kathryn Bigelow is because I recently heard that she was tapped the direct the original X Men movie. Man, imagine what that would've been like!

All this just makes me nostalgic about those days when internet journalism/leaks wasn't a thing.

You only knew about who was directing what when things were basically in motion, then the trailer would come out to try and sway you, and you only decided you loved or hated the movie for sure after you actually saw the finished product.

I bet some of the most influential and beloved movies also had some BTS drama but the diference was that we, the public didn't know about it, maybe only much later after the film was done.

Now all of this is like a bad soap opera.
This so much. Apocalypse Now had the most hellish production of all time and that turned out to be one of the greatest ever. They even made a documentary on how bad it was.

Imagine what the conversation would have been if we had weekly updates of the meltdown Coppola was going through.

I think I called this trashfire at some point. Somebody at WB thinks they've got the magic touch, never mind that they're directly responsible for fucking up SS and the BvS TC. So they're trying to Feige this shit, but unlike Marvel, there's no process in place, and the brand is borderline toxic. They gotta get their hands off the damn reins.

Jokes aside, I'm beginning to believe a Flashpoint/Rebirth event wouldn't be the worst if it can clean the slate for attractive directors to come in and make their mark. Keep what works and most of the actors, but ostensibly let everything else be fluid.

Hell yes. The state of comic cinematic universes right now has kind of set the bar at being comfortably just decent. Nothing really blowing the doors off like TDK did that's for sure.

I think a big shakeup and WB being like "aiight you gotta use the actors we cast but otherwise...fuck it do what you want with our characters and timelines we have a multiverse now" would be dope.

We'd get the batman beyond movie finally too. DC entered the game so late and frankly all this trouble doesn't seem worth the effort

Anyways bring on the JL trailer. Pretty curious about the Aquaman and Flash action sequences

BadAss2961

Reeves deal isn't quite dead yet with word of it possibly just being a negotiating tactic.

Let's not revert back to doom and gloom RESET overreactions.

Ninjimbo

We need to put a moratorium on doom and gloom talk until after JL. I feel like some of you guys are on the edge and need to pull back a little bit.

Stay strong Kenzo.

That feeling when you just got strong armed on a Friday night on a holiday weekend (don't know if studios are closed Monday or not). My how Warner Bros have fallen.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Funny that POP form of Flash and Cyborg look better

C44W9H2UcAE2riJ.jpg:large

Ashhong

Just read this article about it from birthmoviesdeath headlined: Bullet Dodged: Matt Reeves BATMAN Negotiations Have Ceased
In other words, Reeves finally saw BATMAN V SUPERMAN.

It sure is turning into a bumpy road for Warner Brothers and their DC movies, particularly The Batman. Recently, Ben Affleck decided he no longer wanted to direct it. And lately, he's been making signs that he may not even want to star in the darn thing.

But pretty soon after losing Affleck in the director's chair, super-director Matt Reeves' name came up as a possibility. This was good news for Batfans because Reeves is a top-tier guy who can handle great visuals and also had a nice brain in his noggin. For non-Batfans, however, it feels a bit like a waste of talent.

It looks like Reeves agrees with the latter as he has reportedly exited negotiations. That's not a good thing. There can be a million reasons why this might happen, but none of them are positive. The Hollywood Reporter article claiming this does allow for the idea that Reeves and Warner Brothers could get back on the saddle ”when heads cool", but I wouldn't count on it.

And so, the journey to turn The Batman into a movie despite all cosmic warnings continues.

This is the kind of article that pisses me off. Lets be honest, most people have no idea who Matt Reeves is. The dude is not some Cameron or hell, even Gibson, director wise. And those that do know him are probably Batfans who would have loved him to do it.

a916

Just read this article about it from birthmoviesdeath headlined: Bullet Dodged: Matt Reeves BATMAN Negotiations Have Ceased

This is the kind of article that pisses me off. Lets be honest, most people have no idea who Matt Reeves is. The dude is not some Cameron or hell, even Gibson, director wise. And those that do know him are probably Batfans who would have loved him to do it.

He's doing god damn Planet of the Apes, how the F is Batman above him? Batman is above Planet of the Apes... what a dumb article

Terrible news. I don't care for the other directors on the list (except for ridley but he's rusty now). Would rather they just cancel this whole universe after Justice League than hand off batman to such a middling choice smh

Talks break down. God damn. What is with this studio and dc movies. Every thing else they have goes so smoothly. Working with some dope ppl too. But when it's time for a DC movie everybody either bails or shit goes down

Sad news for sure, brother. The possibilities were fucking dope as fuck to imagine..

Ninjimbo

On the one hand, it's kind of cool that the guy who directed Cloverfield is getting all this attention. On the other hand, it's the director of fucking Cloverfield getting all this attention.

jackdoe

On the one hand, it's kind of cool that the guy who directed Cloverfield is getting all this attention. On the other hand, it's the director of fucking Cloverfield getting all this attention.
Yeah, he didn't direct any high grossing, critically well received movies involving CGI apes or anything.

Regarding those statues, Cyborg looks the best here compared to all of the still pictures and footage before. Could be wonky CGI. Batman looks great apart from the shape of the goggles but its not a huge deal. Flash is still ehhh. Not a huge fan of the armour and I'm still salty about no yellow boots.

jackdoe

Regarding those statues, Cyborg looks the best here compared to all of the still pictures and footage before. Could be wonky CGI. Batman looks great apart from the shape of the goggles but its not a huge deal. Flash is still ehhh. Not a huge fan of the armour and I'm still salty about no yellow boots.
How well the goggles work on Batman will depend entirely on how well Snyder does the lighting in the movie. With proper lighting, it could look very cool.

And I can't hate on a Flash costume that gives him the helmet wings. I never expected them to appear at all.

Ninjimbo

Yeah, he didn't direct any high grossing, critically well received movies involving CGI apes or anything.
So that makes him irreplaceable? I've been following Matt Reeves since Cloverfield. He's great but there are plenty of other guys who are just as qualified as he is.

I just find all this kinda funny.

With all this drama, I'd be happy to just get an entire movie with Hobo Clark from the first act in MoS. Just wandering around the world and helping random people and struggling with his identity. It reminds me how much I liked MoS, until he puts the suit on.

They got your click buddy. Doesn't matter less if you hate click their drivel.

jackdoe

So that makes him irreplaceable? I've been following Matt Reeves since Cloverfield. He's great but there are plenty of other guys who are just as qualified as he is.

I just find all this kinda funny.
Of course he's not irreplaceable. WB certainly doesn't think this as the HR article said WB will move forward regardless (and by this rate, WB will get an Alan Smithee and shadow direct this movie by committee). However getting him to direct a Batman film would be a pretty big win for WB, in spite of some people in this thread trying to downplay it.

Gleethor

It's always suspect when people claim they want these films to be good but then get annoyed when talented people are "wasted" on films that haven't released yet

Ross61

So, update on the situation. Reporters like Justin Kroll are seem sure that the agency representing Reeves, CAA , might have leaked the negotiations breakdown to gain some leverage.

Ninjimbo

Of course he's not irreplaceable. WB certainly doesn't think this as the HR article said WB will move forward regardless (and by this rate, WB will get an Alan Smithee and shadow direct this movie by committee). However getting him to direct a Batman film would be a pretty big win for WB, in spite of some people in this thread trying to downplay it.
A PR win would be nice, but it doesn't mean anything if it doesn't result in a good movie. That's all I really want and the only thing that will turn the narrative around.

ryan299

So, update on the situation. Reporters like Justin Kroll are seem sure that the agency representing Reeves, CAA , might have leaked the negotiations breakdown to gain some leverage.

Yeah he compared it to Cruise walking away from MI6 bc he wanted more money.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Soooo just realized, if Batman gets shit canned and postponed, DC only has one movie next year, Aquaman, on Oct 5th.

Is Gotham City Sirens supposed to come out next year or was that just an announcement to let us know that "some time in the future" we'll be getting it?

Just looking at the tent pole releases for next year that would compete with comic book box office...

Feb 16th - Black Panther
March 9th - Wreck it Ralph 2
March 16th - Tomb Raider
April 20th - Rampage (lol)
May 4th - Avengers Infinity War
May 25th - Han Solo
June 15h - Incredibles 2
June 22nd - Jurassic World 2
June 29th - Untitled X-Men Film (?)
July 6th - Ant Man and the Wasp
July 27th - Mission Impossible 6
Aug 3rd - Untitled Disney Live Action (Lion King?)
Oct 5th - Aquaman
Nov 2nd - Untitled X-Men Film (?)
Nov 16th - Fantastic Beasts 2
Dec 21st - Animated Spider-Man
Dec 21st - Avatar 2

Didn't realize Marvel doesn't have any big films after Ant Man. The Animated Spider-Man movie I wouldn't count and it may not even hit that release date. Can't release a DC film in May or June, that'd be suicide. If they get Gotham City Sirens ready to go next year, I think it'll be another August release like SS was. Up against nothing and could have long legs again. IF Batman gets its shit together, definitely looks like end of March or start of April would be their ticket window.

LionPride

Banned
We need to put a moratorium on doom and gloom talk until after JL. I feel like some of you guys are on the edge and need to pull back a little bit.

Stay strong Kenzo.
Bro, yall talkin bout movies. Not something, serious, fucking movies based off of comic books. Shit ain't that goddamn serious.

IconGrist

Bro, yall talkin bout movies. Not something, serious, fucking movies based off of comic books. Shit ain't that goddamn serious.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Especially for someone like Kenzo. Even if they scrap all DCEU plans that Batman movie is still going to get made one way or another, lol.

Ninjimbo

https://creators.co/@SnyderFans/3919622

I was reading this article on the themes in the movie, thought it was pretty cool.
This is good reading especially since I'm watching BvS again. There's some new things in here that I hadn't thought of like BvS being a deconstruction of the modern myth. I would like to see that point made clearer.

But anyways, BvS holds up very very well. I wonder why most people ignore its messages.

It was a joke darling. Calm down.

shingi70

Banned
So regarding all the problems Warner Bros seems to be running into post Johns coming aboard with the course correction, it's safe to assume that they still don't have a plan correct.

I mean we have three films out already

Man of Steel
Batman V Superman
Suicide Squad

Two coming out this year

Wonder Woman
Justice Lesgue

A few films in various states of production

Aquaman
Gotham City Sirens
Suicide Squsd 2
Deadshot
Man of Steel 2
Shazam
Black Adam
Cyborg
Justice League 2
Dark Universe
Green Lantern Crops
Lobo

With two films having serious issues

The Flash
Batman

The hold up has to be on Warners Brothers side and the issue that despite having all their IP, DC Films not being they're own studio hurts them. That and despite having Johns these issues make it seem like they're still making the universe go on a per film basis and not drawing up some sort of Universe Bible and more planning what happens with cause for minor changes here and there.

LOL Campea just on the lastest Collider video reiterated what he said before about Ben wanting out but added,
he got another call saying its mutual and WB doesn't want him playing Batman as well.

I don't believe it but holy fuck if that was true somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom