• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) teaser site launches, 5/10 reveal

Kyon

Banned
It probably won't because they want it to sell huge in the west (probably)

WHAT ABOUT US JRPG/Japanese Game fans? :( we matter too
brit11.gif

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
No, and I'm wondering if maybe Sony is having it both ways and is doing its own Souls game (they've had connections with FromSoft all along, maybe it wasn't tough to contract that or maybe they even retained some rights themselves) for Vita similar to how they did their own White Knight Chronicle game?
That's what I'm thinking.

linko9

This artwork really isn't giving me a Souls vibe. I really doubt this is a FROM joint, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Though that would mean I'd have to buy a Vita...

duckroll

When I quoted it he just said "play like MH". Which already has its audience on 3DS and isn't really that popular here.

But this game is pretty clearly developed for Japan. Sony already have a bunch of western games in development on the Vita. If they're making a game for the west, they wouldn't even bother making it in Japan to begin with. :p

Kyon

Banned
I hope it plays nothing like MH.

3G is probably going to be released this year and I'm sinking a couple of hundred hours into it. But this is gonna end up being a giant monster killing, 4 player co-op game anyways, so all I can realistically ask for is a fresh take on the formula.

hmm I have no problemo with this
ibbAuJx0CfBem7.gif

Don't Sony still own the Demon's Souls IP?

yesh :3

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
@Duckroll: Where and when did the rumors of From backing a Sony project originate and are you putting any stock into it?

Patapwn

But this game is pretty clearly developed for Japan. Sony already have a bunch of western games in development on the Vita. If they're making a game for the west, they wouldn't even bother making it in Japan to begin with. :p
One could say that Demon's Souls was developed with Japan in mind and look how that turned out

The enemy design looks horrid, like they found them crumpled in the trash of the Soul Calibur art team.
Interested to see where this leads and whether this is the start of Sony's take on the "Soul" IP or not.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The art direction for this game is cool as hell, but it will probably preclude it from being the really enormous success Sony surely want for Vita right now.
But it might sell a Vita to me! Along with Gravity Rush.

duckroll

@Duckroll: Where and when did the rumors of From backing a Sony project originate and are you putting any stock to it?

I think there was a rumor about a sort of Vita spin-off sometime in late Feb. I put about as much stock in it as I do for any random post about something on 2ch - which isn't much. There are just as many people who think this could be the Inafune game for example. So we'll see I guess.

prwxv3

I think there was a rumor about a sort of Vita spin-off sometime in late Feb. I put about as much stock in it as I do for any random post about something on 2ch - which isn't much. There are just as many people who think this could be the Inafune game for example. So we'll see I guess.

Didn't inafune get in trouble with sony when he said he was working on a Vita game? That would be pretty weird if it was just a third party game.

duckroll

Didn't inafune get in trouble with sony when he said he was working on a Vita game? That would be pretty weird if it was just a third party game.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Sony actually hosted a video of him announcing his intention of making a Vita game, without any details. Why would he get in trouble for that?

Patapwn

I don't see what that has to do with what I was saying. :p

I thought you were saying this game was geared at japan. Which is obviously a fair assumption to make. But with implication that it holds no weight in the west as "Sony already have a bunch of western games in development on the Vita. If they're making a game for the west, they wouldn't even bother making it in Japan to begin with."

I used DS as a potential parallel to what this game could become.

duckroll

I thought you were saying this game was geared at japan. Which is obviously a fair assumption to make. But with implication that it holds no weight in the west as "Sony already have a bunch of western games in development on the Vita. If they're making a game for the west, they wouldn't even bother making it in Japan to begin with."

I used DS as a potential parallel to what this game could become.

I was replying to someone who said that this game will probably be nothing like Monster Hunter because he thinks that somehow Sony will not be interested in making a Monster Hunter game since they're not very popular in the West. It's just terrible logic.

Epic Drop

I want to believe that this is somehow related to the demon souls franchise so badly. May 10th can't come quickly enough...

prwxv3

I was under the impression he was referring to the same Game Heaven game. Sony gave him trouble because it was one of the event's "major announcements." It's what a number of websites corroborated as well, iirc.

That is probably true.

That six page ad is a good sign though. When has sony bought a six page ad for a announced game much less a un-announced game.

duckroll

You know, I'm curious. There are lots of people wanting this game to be related to Demon's Souls or From Software. Let's say it is a From Software game, but Miyazaki has nothing to do with the game, and another team at From Software is making a 4-player action game where you equip skills and fight giant monsters. There are no complex levels, not RPG elements, just lots of action. What then? Will you be satisfied just because you get to check boxes that say "Sony", "From Software", and "Dark Fantasy"? Regardless of game quality or genre? At that point does it really matter who makes it?

Kyon

Banned
You know, I'm curious. There are lots of people wanting this game to be related to Demon's Souls or From Software. Let's say it is a From Software game, but Miyazaki has nothing to do with the game, and another team at From Software is making a 4-player action game where you equip skills and fight giant monsters. There are no complex levels, not RPG elements, just lots of action. What then? Will you be satisfied just because you get to check boxes that say "Sony", "From Software", and "Dark Fantasy"? Regardless of game quality or genre? At that point does it really matter who makes it?

i think i'm gonna wait and see what this is before i could possibly think of answering this

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
No, I think the answer to Duckroll's question is pretty obvious; I'd hate for this project to amount to nothing but an uninspired, soulless (HA) effort independent of Miyazaki's team. That type of box-checking is for luring chumps. Thanks, but no thanks.

Kyon

Banned
No, I think the answer to Duckroll's question is pretty obvious; I'd hate for this project to amount to nothing but an uninspired, soulless (HA) effort independent of Miyazaki's team. Checking those kinds of boxes is for luring chumps. Thanks, but no thanks.

Amen

Patapwn

There would be hell to pay. I don't know about other people, but my entire perception of this game hinges on the faith that maybe this will be like Demon's/Dark souls. It would be fine if some elements of MH seeped in, but it's true that I would be massively disinterested if it's just a sawdust filled knockoff of MH coated with a dark fantasy finish.

I think when people throw out their "PLEASE BE FROM!" monikers it's assumed that the quality and overall feel of the souls games comes with it. And let's be honest, discussion of this game wouldn't have reached 4 pages let alone 2 on this site if there wasn't the possibly that this could be demons souls portable.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I'd be okay with that as long as the game has a similar level of depth as the other Souls games, and more importantly, the atmosphere is as amazing.

duckroll

There would be hell to pay. I don't know about other people, but my entire perception of this game hinges on the faith that maybe this will be like Demon's/Dark souls. It would be fine if some elements of MH seeped in, but it's true that I would be massively disinterested if it's just a sawdust filled knockoff of MH coated with a dark fantasy finish.

I think when people throw out their "PLEASE BE FROM!" monikers it's assumed that the quality and overall feel of the souls games comes with it. And let's be honest, discussion of this game wouldn't have reached 4 pages let alone 2 on this site if there wasn't the possibly that this could be demons souls portable.

Then I should point out that this is definitely an action game, and that Sony has not suggested or implied at all that it has anything to do with From Software or RPGs of any kind. The 6-page ad they put in Famitsu clearly states that this is an action game and that it will feature some sort of evolved co-op gameplay.

Keep expectations in check.

slade

Personally, I just want a really good single player mode with some sort of a story. Demon and Dark Souls did not have this so I hope this isn't related to them in any way.

Emitan

Then I should point out that this is definitely an action game, and that Sony has not suggested or implied at all that it has anything to do with From Software or RPGs of any kind. The 6-page ad they put in Famitsu clearly states that this is an action game and that it will feature some sort of evolved co-op gameplay.

Keep expectations in check.

I just want a fun co-op game. Not expecting the world or anything.

Canova

Banned

To me the most important thing from From Soft is their combat mechanic, other stuff is just bonus.

Sony just needs to buy the fuck out From Soft. period.

I think From trusts Sony with exclusivity on their titles about as far as one of their employees could pick up and throw SCE's corporate office after the debacle with Demon's Souls.

I highly, highly doubt they'd let Sony buy them, especially after getting commercial success with Dark Souls being multiplatform.

Don

I really don't see this being a From Software developed Souls game, at least not by the Demon's/Dark Souls team.

I do like the artwork shown so far though, and can't wait to hear more about how it will play.

Top Bottom